(Topic ID: 2557)

Any opinions on LOTR SE...worth the $5300 NIB price?

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by AcademyDL
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#2 9 years ago

It's less than I paid. Love mine.

#3 9 years ago

Any regrets on purchase?

#4 9 years ago

That's a good price,I have seen them going for a 5600-5800.The backglass is Awesome

#5 9 years ago

Good price .. don't forget to reserve your WOZ with Jack too if you have that kind of money... (Or WOO or whatever we decide for that machines nym)

#6 9 years ago

Save 2K, buy a nice HUO standard edition and drape it in golden tinsel.

#7 9 years ago

The woz looks like a great idea. Loved playing the slot machine. Should have a ton of appeal. Gonna hit the pre-order button!

#8 9 years ago

IMHO, yes. However, it could easily end up costing a lot more. For instance, installing a shaker motor is a must! It is a fantastic mod (although should have been included like Avatar LE) and really adds to the game. I also installed all the figures from the original which don't come cheap. By the way, if you get the figures, I recommend using U-Glu tape to install them--much easier and better looking than using the old tie-down straps and plastics. Anyway, I certainly have no regrets springing for the LE primarily for the integration with the shaker motor. My LOTR LE will remain in my collection forever anyway. If money is tight though, a nice non-LE HUO LOTR would still be a winner.

#9 9 years ago

100% agree with NoVArcade. LE doesn't worth the price gap. You could buy gold shooting rod, lockdown bar, legs, siderails in better quality.

#10 9 years ago

I would buy the standard version, should be able to find a nice one for MUCH cheaper Great game, good luck on the hunt...

#11 9 years ago

thanks for all the great help.....a lot to consider when you are new to this!

#12 9 years ago

Finding a real nice HUO pin is always a bonus. But as far as a NIB pin goes, you can't go wrong with a LOTR SE.

#13 9 years ago

What are the differences between the models? Standard/LE/SE

Are there any differences between the year of release? Artwork? Gameplay, Rulesets?

Im a LOTR Newbie and Im trying to make an educated purchase.
Any info is appreciated.

-Justin

#14 9 years ago

I bought one from the guy in Milford Ct for 5000 K last summer NIB and 150$ for the shaker. I am not sorry for spending the $ as this is a great pin. The shaker is manditory ( and is the major difference as I understand it besides trim between the original). If you can find HUO, always a great option, but I have not seen many at the 3K price. I do not think you can go wrong but buy extra fuses for the ring and switches for the right VUK .

#15 9 years ago

Well,

SE has the brass trim, two extra clearcoats on the playfield and a backglass. It has no figures but apparently a bunch of people didn't want the figures. It also come pre-wired for the shaker and is software supported. But, apparently you can install the LE EPROM in an old LOTR and then install the shaker. Might have to add a wiring harness. Tatman has the info on how to do this.

I've only blown one fuse for the ring magnet and that was pretty much right away. Over a year later and I haven't had an issue. I think the factory fuse might not be up to par with Radio shack's brand.

#16 9 years ago

$5300 is a GREAT PRICE!!!!

First time I have heard NIB LOTR LE's going for that much as of recent. I would jump on it personally.

If only the translite didn't have that wierd gold-outline shadow effect on the characters, it would be universally applauded by pinball guys. It's really not THAT bad.

The main thing that bugs me is the missing figures, but you can order the set from vendors. I seem to remember an avid pinsider, who sells these particular figurine sets. The shaker motor is already supported out of the box for an LE, which is a plus for you, if you aren't comfortable screwing around in your backbox (trying to update the EPROM, and installing the motor itself).

One thing that really pops is the gold trim side rails, lockdown bar, legs, and bolts. Wow! Thats all you hear from people after they see a LOTR LE for the first time. Same can be said of the incredibly sexy chrome on Black-Suit Spider Man (Spider-Man Limited Edition).

Essentially, its up to you really on looks if you want to compare LOTR's. They are both essentially the same game. Some slight changes with the software for shaker support, some hardware differences (LOTR LE uses a Whitestar II board, but also a SAM driver board), but both pretty much play the same outside the visual asthetic.

#17 9 years ago

I also just bought a NIB LOTR LE with factory installed shaker for $5,300.00.... I got a NIB BMDK for $4,200 which i think is good. SM NIB cost me $5,095... I got the LOTR LE and SM from Milford Ct prob from the same place.... the BMDK I won on ebay....

#18 9 years ago

just saw this post:

good price

HUO Lotr with a bunch of mods $3700 firm
Upgraded Flipper Coils
Color Changing LED Palantir
Postless Glass Palantir Orb
PBL BackBox Eye Flasher
Ramp Post Mod
Tom Wible One Ring Shooter Rod
Both Eisner POTD and Arwin plastic protectors/ramps
Colored Cliffy Posts
Pinball Decals Target Decals
PinballPal Fluorescent Light warming Filter
PinballPal Clear Flipper and Start button protectors
Color Changing Clear Flipper Buttons
A few extra figures I haven't gotten around to attaching, Boromir,
Legolas, Gimli and Sauron. I also picked up a Gandalf the White to
swap out the Gandalf the Grey.
It already had the 1st run sword ramp ball lock cover (or non-cover)
Also included is a special mod that I can't mention here.
http://s487.photobucket.com/albums/rr236/kbliznick/Pinball%20Pics/LOTR/
Shipping OK
located in Chandler, AZ, delivery in Phoenix possible
also open to trades, especially for a WOF
Thanks
Kris

#19 9 years ago

its a nice pin but be aware of the damage to the back upper left side.
it is damaged in the back and the buyer should be made aware of that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside