• 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Deez
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2dwph6 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertT1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

I reached out to a few op's who were routing a DI when I was considering it. The typical feedback I got was that they were earning about what a Stern makes, give or take. ROI is exactly what I was thinking about as well. I decided that I wasn't going to get a DI at that point. I like the game and maybe some day it will come down enough for me to get one.

I look at it this way, what am I trying to do with my route? I see there being two paths. Am I trying to grow (locations or game count) or am I at a good level and want to up my overall game level? Tucson Pinball is still growing, and I expect with 1-2 locations with 8 total games more and we would be at a point that we just want to maintain and upgrade games over time. We recently added a 4-game location and I was looking at it like I could get 4 games (system 11's or classic Bally) for as much as 1 Stern. That's recently changed so I can't get all 4 for a single stern, but at the time that was a valid comparison.

JJP games, for now, are just too much for just earning about the same as a new stern. When we max out on games, then yes, I expect to sell 2/3/4 games and get a single higher level game, but that's probably still a year or two away from considering that.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I appreciate the comments and thanks for the support. I think you've hit the nail on the head for my location. My goal is to bring pinball to the people without losing money. I had a house full of games and after having kids would never invite anyone over to enjoy them. Also, most of my close friends couldn't care less about it. At the end of the day my pins lose money. I have too many in a location that doesn't get a ton of pinball traffic. I wish I could figure out a way to increase the traffic to the pins since I"m more than willing to invest in them as long as I break even I'm happy. I've invested a lot of time and money into keeping the games clean and tight and frequently rotated. Luckily I have other games that do make money like Skeeball, bowling and a pair of drivers that subsidize the loss so I'm still sort of in the green with my free labor.
To me it was just a swift kick in the nuts when I find out that pirates is going to be 1k more than DI which I had a hard time pulling the trigger on. The location is still new so hopefully when school gets back in session and the weather starts to turn business will pick up and I'll be able to afford pirates. In the meantime, I think Stern pro is about all I am comfortable with.

I hear ya on this. It's hard to build a pinball culture. I'm not alone in Tucson though, which helps get to more people, but Tucson Pinball LLC is very much "hobby" levels of income.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Well spending time on this website makes me think pinball is way more popular than it really is. I need to spend some time outside of this echo chamber. The reality is noone really gives AF about pinball other than a handful of people sadly.

I run a lot of tournaments and if it weren't for that the casual player coin drop would not make it worth it. It's the regulars that go to practice and come to the tournaments that makes it bearable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.00
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertT1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-operators-going-to-buy-jjp-pirates?tu=desertT1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.