Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 days ago by fattdirk
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2dwph6 (resized).jpg

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 months ago

I'm just curious if anyone else that operates games is planning picking up a Pirates. I can't see the ROI being positive on the game at the price point where you can get a Stern pro for significantly cheaper that earns just as much if not more. My SW pro out earns my DI consistently at such a lower price point as an example. Is this a similar experience for others?

#2 5 months ago

I reached out to a few op's who were routing a DI when I was considering it. The typical feedback I got was that they were earning about what a Stern makes, give or take. ROI is exactly what I was thinking about as well. I decided that I wasn't going to get a DI at that point. I like the game and maybe some day it will come down enough for me to get one.

I look at it this way, what am I trying to do with my route? I see there being two paths. Am I trying to grow (locations or game count) or am I at a good level and want to up my overall game level? Tucson Pinball is still growing, and I expect with 1-2 locations with 8 total games more and we would be at a point that we just want to maintain and upgrade games over time. We recently added a 4-game location and I was looking at it like I could get 4 games (system 11's or classic Bally) for as much as 1 Stern. That's recently changed so I can't get all 4 for a single stern, but at the time that was a valid comparison.

JJP games, for now, are just too much for just earning about the same as a new stern. When we max out on games, then yes, I expect to sell 2/3/4 games and get a single higher level game, but that's probably still a year or two away from considering that.

#3 5 months ago

I know an op in NYC who is buying three.

As an op I'm sure you know ROI isn't cut and dry in pinball. If you can sell a used pirates in 5 years for close to what you paid for it, even routed, it becomes less of an issue. If games were worthless after 5 years on route like in 1977 you might have a point, but it's a different world now.

#4 5 months ago

Hopefully jjPotC has more longevity in earning. WoZ has done GREAT on the route I help with (down for a 2.0 light kit upgrade at the moment, but that's temporary), but Hobbit and Dialed In both started strong, then fell off a cliff into lower-mid-level earnings after just a few months, which was not great.

#5 5 months ago

Maybe the 400 selectable characters will keep people coming back?

#6 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Maybe the 400 selectable characters will keep people coming back?

#7 5 months ago

1up and 2up in Denver sold both their DI's and I know of another location where it is on the chopping block.

i think its a great game but apparently doesnt earn well (around here)

#8 5 months ago

I’m going back and forth on it. WOZ has been great. DI has been meh. POTC will surely earn well but it’s really pricey, but there is a ton of cool stuff on it...which also means lots of stuff to break.

#9 5 months ago

Im sure Al is buying several.

#10 5 months ago

2dwph6 (resized).jpg
#11 5 months ago

planning on it. so far both my jjp pins out earn my sterns. maybe just because they stay on location. main reason i’ll buy is they are simply more reliable.

my gb sw gg and im spend more time in the shop then on route these days. wish stern would ditch the node board stuff and actually have some fuses to prevent extra problems. great licenses but rough to keep buying atm

#12 5 months ago

I think if your an Enthusiast & Operator and somehow have made that work. Then Amazeballs.

Though from what the Number cruncher Operators are saying for the most part JJPperforms exactly the same as a
new stern title. However I think from a Cost of longterm ownership folks are saying that there are some
advantages to JJP machines.

Personally I would have one in my arsenal of games if I could make back 1/2 my investment.

#13 5 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I'm just curious if anyone else that operates games is planning picking up a Pirates. I can't see the ROI being positive on the game at the price point where you can get a Stern pro for significantly cheaper that earns just as much if not more. My SW pro out earns my DI consistently at such a lower price point as an example. Is this a similar experience for others?

I agree. I have no plans to buy one. At nearly $10k it would need to consistently earn double what Guardians Pro and Star Wars Pro earn to be worth it amd I don't think it will.

#14 5 months ago
Quoted from Cruster:

planning on it. so far both my jjp pins out earn my sterns. maybe just because they stay on location. main reason i’ll buy is they are simply more reliable.

That's interesteing. I've observed the opposite in regards to reliability. WOZs down all the time. Hobbit pop ups malfunctioning. Can't speak on DI. What's breaking on your Sterns?

#15 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

As an op I'm sure you know ROI isn't cut and dry in pinball. If you can sell a used pirates in 5 years for close to what you paid for it, even routed, it becomes less of an issue. If games were worthless after 5 years on route like in 1977 you might have a point, but it's a different world now.

So this is kind of where I'm getting at. To me on paper it looks like a no brainer to purchase it, but maybe other people that have been doing this longer have a different reality. How much are Ops getting for routed JJP games?

#16 5 months ago

I’ll take that Dialed in off your hands.

#17 5 months ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

That's interesteing. I've observed the opposite in regards to reliability. WOZs down all the time. Hobbit pop ups malfunctioning. Can't speak on DI. What's breaking on your Sterns?

Yeah, once they're dialed in, I wouldn't say JJP machines are generally more reliable than Sterns on route, my experience is also that they are somewhat less reliable than Stern Pro or Premiums. Built like tanks compared to stern, but issues with assemblies and electronics.

#18 5 months ago
Quoted from Cruster:

my gb sw gg and im spend more time in the shop then on route these days. wish stern would ditch the node board stuff and actually have some fuses to prevent extra problems. great licenses but rough to keep buying atm

Exact opposite for me.

#19 5 months ago

My Dialed In is earning 2.3x what my MMr is earning that is next to it. They are the only two of their kind on location in a city of 4 million (Melbourne).
Both have had very few issues after 4 months, though DI does seem to get it’s fair share of ball traps.
I’m considering a POtC for the same venue, though the selling price is a big hurdle to surmount.

#20 5 months ago

Nope. Won't be enough of a earnings change in this area to justify the price.

#21 5 months ago

Boxcar in Raleigh is getting a Pirates CE. That barcade prints money .. Earnings are over the top...

We have mostly LE games to enjoy.

#22 5 months ago
Quoted from robotronjohn:

Boxcar in Raleigh is getting a Pirates CE. That barcade prints money .. Earnings are over the top...
We have mostly LE games to enjoy.

That barcade prints money cause they maintain thier games. They have the nicest routed twilight i have seen. Mirrors and tasteful mods in all thier games. They have an afmr le no cliffies and i saw next to no chipping or any wear. I make the 2 1/2 hour drive every now and then because of how nice thier stuff is

#23 5 months ago

I am surprised that nobody has spoken about the JJP effect.

DI for example may be an average earner for some people, but I bet if you watch your trends closely you can see the JJP effect that 1 or 2 high end games like it can have on the coin drop for the location as a whole by upping the drop in other games.

For example, dropping in a DI or JJP POTC can be a rare/new/high dollar draw that brings people to your location instead of the guy down the street.
They drop $20 playing and that is $20 that you would not have had without the high dollar draw game.

DI may be responsible for the additional 10-20% of the drop in other games once it arrives.

Maybe not also, but my experience is that it can have a net positive that justifies the price.

#24 5 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

DI for example may be an average earner for some people, but I bet if you watch your trends closely you can see the JJP effect that 1 or 2 high end games like it can have on the coin drop for the location as a whole by upping the drop in other games.
For example, dropping in a DI or JJP POTC can be a rare/new/high dollar draw that brings people to your location instead of the guy down the street.
They drop $20 playing and that is $20 that you would not have had without the high dollar draw game.
DI may be responsible for the additional 10-20% of the drop in other games once it arrives.
Maybe not also, but my experience is that it can have a net positive that justifies the price.

But you're dropping an extra 3k hoping that will happen. At that point you're in 2/3's of a new Stern pro. I think it might happen though just by looking at the pinball map you can see operators just aren't buying JJP games like they are Stern Pros. You have to travel to find them. If resale values stay high though it might still be worth it.

#25 5 months ago

At over 8-9k, rarely would I expect my location to take risk on a new JJP title. The stress on the back alone moving around a Hobbit vs titles like SW that are consistent earners for casuals make sense.
As a player, I get just as excited to seek out classics like Taxi or HS I don’t own or see often and are fairly reliable.

#26 5 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

But you're dropping an extra 3k hoping that will happen. At that point you're in 2/3's of a new Stern pro. I think it might happen though just by looking at the pinball map you can see operators just aren't buying JJP games like they are Stern Pros. You have to travel to find them. If resale values stay high though it might still be worth it.

It can definitely be worth it.

If you have a 1000 dollar location that brings in an additional $200 (20%) due to the extra foot traffic a more uncommon JJP game generates, then you practically pay for the additional upcharge of the more expensive game in the first year. Since most JJP games (Woz and DI) have held resale value well, then it is a net gain and can be a great business decision for your location.

#27 5 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I think ops buy for earnings, not resale. Many ops never sell their pins and just move them around.

#28 5 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I haven't seen that but I only routed a Hobbit Smaug so far of JJP machines. It was priced the same as the other games and it performed poorly. While I route mostly Stern Prems, even the Pros performed considerably better with game pricing the same. Hobbit was a bad decision because the loss on the resale of it was more than the earnings. I don't enjoy DI enough to even think about trying to justify the high cost. I was in on a POTC until they removed the centerpiece feature of it. Now I'm out. It was more a personal want than business motivation to get one in the first place considering the price point. Removing the disc totally killed it for me though.

#29 5 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

At over 8-9k, rarely would I expect my location to take risk on a new JJP title. The stress on the back alone moving around a Hobbit vs titles like SW that are considered consistent make coin drop sense.

There's no back stress. An old school real-deal commercial pin dolly takes care of the heavy lifting.

#30 5 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It can definitely be worth it.
If you have a 1000 dollar location that brings in an additional $200 (20%) due to the extra foot traffic a more uncommon JJP game generates, then you practically pay for the additional upcharge of the more expensive game in the first year. Since most JJP games (Woz and DI) have held resale value well, then it is a net gain and can be a great business decision for your location.

I don't buy this. I've had both TNA and DI and neither has given me any noticeable uptick in revenue vs the games they replaced. I track stuff really carefully weekly and would've noticed a 20% increase in pinball revenue. I believe my customer's come up with an amount in their pocket and that's what they spend. Doesn't matter what machine it is. The majority of my players are regulars.

#31 5 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I don't buy this. I've had both TNA and DI and neither has given me any noticeable uptick in revenue vs the games they replaced. I track stuff really carefully weekly and would've noticed a 20% increase in pinball revenue. I believe my customer's come up with an amount in their pocket and that's what they spend. Doesn't matter what machine it is. The majority of my players are regulars.

curious what the location is? Link up the pinside map for it please.

In most cases I have found rare and desirable games added to a good location can bring in extra coin drop across the whole line up and not just the single game. The real question is how long is the uptick sustained for (similar to the question of the coin drop trajectory for a game; how high does it start and what happens/how quickly does it settle along with the question if it bring more money in from the room or just spreads it around differently)

#32 5 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious what the location is? Link up the pinside map for it please.
In most cases I have found rare and desirable games added to a good location can bring in extra coin drop across the whole line up and not just the single game. The real question is how long is the uptick sustained for (similar to the question of the coin drop trajectory for a game; how high does it start and what happens/how quickly does it settle along with the question if it bring more money in from the room or just spreads it around differently)

Madcap Brew Co in Kent Ohio. It's a large brewery. 7 pins, skeeball, bowling other various games.

I thought for sure people were going to be making a trip to play TNA but there were a few that reached out to me to tell me they had, but for the post part it had below average earnings. I actually replaced it with a WWFRR which earns the same. There was no impact at all on earnings when I traded it.

#33 5 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Madcap Brew Co in Kent Ohio. It's a large brewery. 7 pins, skeeball, bowling other various games.
I thought for sure people were going to be making a trip to play TNA but there were a few that reached out to me to tell me they had, but for the post part it had below average earnings. I actually replaced it with a WWFRR which earns the same. There was no impact at all on earnings when I traded it.

I operated WWFRR as well. It was a tank and earned steady. Fun pin for $2-something. I'll take 4 of those instead.

#34 5 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

all location are different and it constantly amazes me how even a place less than a mile away of similar style/vibe can have completely different characteristics from the place next door.

Most notable for your location, it appears to be in a town of only 30k people? That is going to be a much different demo than my experience in Madison

#35 5 months ago

What Whysnow is talking about is what I call an attraction piece.

Doesn't work for every location. This is where you need to know your location.

It has always worked for my place. An attraction piece brings them in. And whether it's in the attraction piece or not, the other equipment does way better.

LTG : )

#36 5 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

all location are different and it constantly amazes me how even a place less than a mile away of similar style/vibe can have completely different characteristics from the place next door.
Most notable for your location, it appears to be in a town of only 30k people? That is going to be a much different demo than my experience in Madison

It's on the border of Kent State so those numbers are a bit skewed. There is definitely a seasonal aspect of school being in vs out. But you're definitely correct it isn't the big city. There's pinball saturation also around here between Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cleveland and Akron. It's a great time to play some pinball!

#37 5 months ago

fattdirk
I've been making tons on mine. You should definitely get it for your place.

#38 5 months ago

I will purchase 4 units of this title. I'm not sure people are excited or if they are burned out on the wait. I hope it earns well and we do see some increased revenue for JJP games but I would not say it's a significant bump over something else after the first month. They do provide a wow factor to the location that I think you may not get with a stern pro. I guess it's difficult for me to understand the motive of some. Are you doing this for extra cash? To upgrade your collection of games for you home later? Either way JJP puts out a nice product and my distributor is the reason I have even more confidence in my purchase. He supports me 100% and is proactive to bringing any known issues to my attention. Pinball is a loss leader in coin op (longest ROI) but relatively cheap initial cost. Compare to other shooting and driving games plus they take up less space than your new age titles. See HALO. Haha. 12x12x12.

Really it's a numbers game, if the title can earn enough to make your investment come back in 24 months it's worth it in my opinion as you have a nice piece of equipment in your inventory after its cost has been satisfied. That goes for any games under a certain threshold.

Dirk operates very nice playing games. I have been to the brewery to support what he does, my advice would be overall if the location does not pay for the games in a max of 24 months then it is not worth the amount of games it has. Some locations want to have 7 games but there is no revenue change from 5 games. That would prove dirks theory for that location. There are only so many quarters and that's the end of it. It does not matter if there are 5 games or 20.

Good luck, hope it works out for you guys.

#39 5 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It’s just like when Stormy Daniels hits up a club, it generates so much business even the ugly girls make more money that night.

#40 5 months ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I will purchase 4 units of this title. I'm not sure people are excited or if they are burned out on the wait. I hope it earns well and we do see some increased revenue for JJP games but I would not say it's a significant bump over something else after the first month. They do provide a wow factor to the location that I think you may not get with a stern pro. I guess it's difficult for me to understand the motive of some. Are you doing this for extra cash? To upgrade your collection of games for you home later? Either way JJP puts out a nice product and my distributor is the reason I have even more confidence in my purchase. He supports me 100% and is proactive to bringing any known issues to my attention. Pinball is a loss leader in coin op (longest ROI) but relatively cheap initial cost. Compare to other shooting and driving games plus they take up less space than your new age titles. See HALO. Haha. 12x12x12.
Really it's a numbers game, if the title can earn enough to make your investment come back in 24 months it's worth it in my opinion as you have a nice piece of equipment in your inventory after its cost has been satisfied. That goes for any games under a certain threshold.
Dirk operates very nice playing games. I have been to the brewery to support what he does, my advice would be overall if the location does not pay for the games in a max of 24 months then it is not worth the amount of games it has. Some locations want to have 7 games but there is no revenue change from 5 games. That would prove dirks theory for that location. There are only so many quarters and that's the end of it. It does not matter if there are 5 games or 20.

Solid input. I take it you mean paid off in 2 yrs after the operator split?

#41 5 months ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

It’s just like when Stormy Daniels hits up a club, it generates so much business even the ugly girls make more money that night.

LOL!

#42 5 months ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I appreciate the comments and thanks for the support. I think you've hit the nail on the head for my location. My goal is to bring pinball to the people without losing money. I had a house full of games and after having kids would never invite anyone over to enjoy them. Also, most of my close friends couldn't care less about it. At the end of the day my pins lose money. I have too many in a location that doesn't get a ton of pinball traffic. I wish I could figure out a way to increase the traffic to the pins since I"m more than willing to invest in them as long as I break even I'm happy. I've invested a lot of time and money into keeping the games clean and tight and frequently rotated. Luckily I have other games that do make money like Skeeball, bowling and a pair of drivers that subsidize the loss so I'm still sort of in the green with my free labor.

To me it was just a swift kick in the nuts when I find out that pirates is going to be 1k more than DI which I had a hard time pulling the trigger on. The location is still new so hopefully when school gets back in session and the weather starts to turn business will pick up and I'll be able to afford pirates. In the meantime, I think Stern pro is about all I am comfortable with.

#43 5 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I appreciate the comments and thanks for the support. I think you've hit the nail on the head for my location. My goal is to bring pinball to the people without losing money. I had a house full of games and after having kids would never invite anyone over to enjoy them. Also, most of my close friends couldn't care less about it. At the end of the day my pins lose money. I have too many in a location that doesn't get a ton of pinball traffic. I wish I could figure out a way to increase the traffic to the pins since I"m more than willing to invest in them as long as I break even I'm happy. I've invested a lot of time and money into keeping the games clean and tight and frequently rotated. Luckily I have other games that do make money like Skeeball, bowling and a pair of drivers that subsidize the loss so I'm still sort of in the green with my free labor.
To me it was just a swift kick in the nuts when I find out that pirates is going to be 1k more than DI which I had a hard time pulling the trigger on. The location is still new so hopefully when school gets back in session and the weather starts to turn business will pick up and I'll be able to afford pirates. In the meantime, I think Stern pro is about all I am comfortable with.

I hear ya on this. It's hard to build a pinball culture. I'm not alone in Tucson though, which helps get to more people, but Tucson Pinball LLC is very much "hobby" levels of income.

#44 5 months ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I hear ya on this. It's hard to build a pinball culture. I'm not alone in Tucson though, which helps get to more people, but Tucson Pinball LLC is very much "hobby" levels of income.

Well spending time on this website makes me think pinball is way more popular than it really is. I need to spend some time outside of this echo chamber. The reality is noone really gives AF about pinball other than a handful of people sadly.

#45 5 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Well spending time on this website makes me think pinball is way more popular than it really is. I need to spend some time outside of this echo chamber. The reality is noone really gives AF about pinball other than a handful of people sadly.

I run a lot of tournaments and if it weren't for that the casual player coin drop would not make it worth it. It's the regulars that go to practice and come to the tournaments that makes it bearable.

#46 4 months ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Solid input. I take it you mean paid off in 2 yrs after the operator split?

Yes.

#47 4 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

It is easy to see your efforts on these games. We were happy to play and honestly I am not sure my exact opinion on the overall space. While very nice I didn't see a lot of gameplay besides us. I even had my kid tell another kid there are games on the pins if you want to join.

Either way this is what is hard about operating. Even with 100s of locations the costs of games is higher than it's ever been but the players will never look past paying more than $1 per play. And that is the absolute max. Take the new halo. We have preordered a few. They are in the mid 30k range. $1 per play is gonna take a while. Just where the business has gone.

I do appreciate other ops and the industry for making some awesome equipment for me to make my living with, even though the margins are tighter than ever. I do applaud all the efforts.

Good luck Dirk. I think you will see results if you hang in there

#48 4 months ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

It is easy to see your efforts on these games. We were happy to play and honestly I am not sure my exact opinion on the overall space. While very nice I didn't see a lot of gameplay besides us. I even had my kid tell another kid there are games on the pins if you want to join.
Either way this is what is hard about operating. Even with 100s of locations the costs of games is higher than it's ever been but the players will never look past paying more than $1 per play. And that is the absolute max. Take the new halo. We have preordered a few. They are in the mid 30k range. $1 per play is gonna take a while. Just where the business has gone.
I do appreciate other ops and the industry for making some awesome equipment for me to make my living with, even though the margins are tighter than ever. I do applaud all the efforts.
Good luck Dirk. I think you will see results if you hang in there

No one would pay more than a dime when I was a kid. A quarter was OUTRAGEOUS. People will pay more than $1/Play. They're already doing it in Europe. It will take time, but if they want to play the newest hottest stuff, at some point it will have to go to $1.50 or 4/$5. the economics of operating won't work if the games keep rising in cost and the cost/play stays frozen at $1.

#49 4 months ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

the players will never look past paying more than $1 per play. And that is the absolute max.

I always figured this is why places like D&B use a points system so people can't tell how much they're actually paying to play. I bet some of their pricier games are equivalent to $2-$3 per play. Seems pretty smart.

#50 4 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

No one would pay more than a dime when I was a kid. A quarter was OUTRAGEOUS. People will pay more than $1/Play. They're already doing it in Europe. It will take time, but if they want to play the newest hottest stuff, at some point it will have to go to $1.50 or 4/$5. the economics of operating won't work if the games keep rising in cost and the cost/play stays frozen at $1.

Maybe it's just my area. I had attempted to put a starwars battle pod, cost was almost 30k, on 6 tokens per play and was met with fierce resistance. Went to a buck and nearly doubled the plays. I guess not everyone will scoff at paying more than a dollar a play but I do feel people are not informed on what it costs and takes to operate amusements so they rationalize the decision not to pay more than 1 dollar based on that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside