5C55B049-6C42-4616-AC84-5AFFA53D647A (resized).jpeg
F7AAA227-1D61-4055-AC0B-A6372DC43079 (resized).jpeg
ABF0FD05-2A1A-4B33-99A8-14D819B3A7B5 (resized).jpeg
B14705B3-9727-4C12-9AC0-D8B15EDBD382 (resized).jpeg
D5275C0F-B51F-43CD-AD09-7D48D9E309AC (resized).jpeg
74095701-3194-4B5B-9DBC-C8D0BDB6182E (resized).jpeg
DC822BB2-6BF3-4D3C-AFFD-13AD35444C30 (resized).jpeg
B7B7E823-3DA2-445A-9684-5D1A47845788 (resized).jpeg

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I’ve been watching the Battlebots show on the science channel. I used to be a big fan of Robot Wars in the late 90’s, but eventually grew tired of the converging evolution of the wedge bots (all battles came down to which bot could get under the other and push them around).

I see now the sport has evolved substantially. All these new primary weapons are pretty incredible and the machines are so powerful now.

#2 5 years ago

D5275C0F-B51F-43CD-AD09-7D48D9E309AC (resized).jpegD5275C0F-B51F-43CD-AD09-7D48D9E309AC (resized).jpeg74095701-3194-4B5B-9DBC-C8D0BDB6182E (resized).jpeg74095701-3194-4B5B-9DBC-C8D0BDB6182E (resized).jpegB7B7E823-3DA2-445A-9684-5D1A47845788 (resized).jpegB7B7E823-3DA2-445A-9684-5D1A47845788 (resized).jpegDC822BB2-6BF3-4D3C-AFFD-13AD35444C30 (resized).jpegDC822BB2-6BF3-4D3C-AFFD-13AD35444C30 (resized).jpeg

#3 5 years ago

Ya I haven’t watched them since G4 tech tv was a channel. But it’s always been interesting to me and I enjoy the variety of machines.

#4 5 years ago

F7AAA227-1D61-4055-AC0B-A6372DC43079 (resized).jpegF7AAA227-1D61-4055-AC0B-A6372DC43079 (resized).jpegB14705B3-9727-4C12-9AC0-D8B15EDBD382 (resized).jpegB14705B3-9727-4C12-9AC0-D8B15EDBD382 (resized).jpegABF0FD05-2A1A-4B33-99A8-14D819B3A7B5 (resized).jpegABF0FD05-2A1A-4B33-99A8-14D819B3A7B5 (resized).jpeg5C55B049-6C42-4616-AC84-5AFFA53D647A (resized).jpeg5C55B049-6C42-4616-AC84-5AFFA53D647A (resized).jpeg

#5 5 years ago

My kids and I have enjoyed watching BattleBots. They've enjoyed watching Bronco flip opponents, but he lost last night.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

My kids and I have enjoyed watching BattleBots. They've enjoyed watching Bronco flip opponents, but he lost last night.

Yep, that fight was disappointing for the Bronco team. Those spikes the Bronco team put on to protect their tires really backfired on them and they just got flat out driven. It was a failed configuration by my estimation.

Tombstone also got upset, with the 1 and 2 seeds knocked out its hard to pick a favorite in the semis.

#7 5 years ago

Definitely out driven. Have you seen any episodes with drones or other small secondary bots get utterly destroyed? Hilarious.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

Definitely out driven. Have you seen any episodes with drones or other small secondary bots get utterly destroyed? Hilarious

I saw one get hit with a giant fly swatter the opponent had and just basically explode in the air!

Yea, I love the mini bots, I haven’t seen them ever do to much to help their primary bot (other than Gemini of course, which I guess is really just two bots at half the weight rather than a true lead bot with helpers).

I used to love the obstical course of the original Robot Wars, but this arena style battling is better and my goodness the robots are so much more advanced than in the past. I just watched some 90’s era robot fighting and they drove so slow and could barely maneuver. Ha!

#9 5 years ago

I do. Battle Bots. Havent seen Robot Wars yet. Good stuff.

#10 5 years ago

Anybody know if the show has been picked up again for 2019? I can’t seem to find any definitive statement.

Seems like a fairly low cost show to put on. They filmed the entire 20 episodes over the course of a three day weekend.

#11 5 years ago

My son and I watch religiously every Friday. And when it isn’t on we play our own battles. Just got the new Bronco and Witch Doctor! A2397E61-6D36-4D49-9F88-025F4E1B512B (resized).jpegA2397E61-6D36-4D49-9F88-025F4E1B512B (resized).jpeg4CEDFCCE-CFFC-4EEF-AC1E-6C428B80AF53 (resized).jpeg4CEDFCCE-CFFC-4EEF-AC1E-6C428B80AF53 (resized).jpeg4AB81CAA-0EDB-4DFD-AA6D-274C98790471 (resized).jpeg4AB81CAA-0EDB-4DFD-AA6D-274C98790471 (resized).jpeg

#12 5 years ago

Wow! I have not seen those kits before. Remote controlled?

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Wow! I have not seen those kits before. Remote controlled?

Yes, remote controlled. Forward-reverse-left-right, and a button on top of the remote to activate the weapon.
Up to four different bots can battle at the same time (4 channels on the remotes)

#14 5 years ago

Battlebots is pretty good, I don’t like the announcer or format of robot wars

#15 5 years ago

I think Minotaur will do well if not win it all.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Agreed. My family and i enjoy watching Battlebots. We tried watching Robot Wars and didn't make it through the first show.

#17 5 years ago

I used to love the original Battlebots, glad they didn't mess with the formula too much on the remake.

#18 5 years ago

My three sons and I have been watching Battlebots for a few years. We look forward to watching them every Saturday morning (dvr)

I think this is Minotaur's year. He has always been very good, but this year he dialed back the speed of his drum, and has had a lot more control over it.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Agreed, the announcer on Robot Wars may be the single worst broadcast person I have ever heard. The constant hyperbole detracts terribly from the show. Also, the pit is ridiculous...too many fights end prematurely due to a simple driving error...detracts from the engineering.

#20 5 years ago

Was glad to see Battlebots back. Very surprised to see Tombstone get defeated last week, but also happy to see it go. I think Minotaur will probably be the favorite now. That thing used to get so much rotational energy going they could hardly steer it when it was at full speed! The rotating horizontal cylinder definitely seems to be a popular weapon now. Yeti could go deep into the tournament too.

I used to enjoy watching it with my boys, but now it's just me watching it since they're older now.

Those little remote control versions of the real things are very cool! PinRob, I'm sure you and your son have a ton of fun with those. He may have as much fun as the old man!

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Very surprised to see Tombstone get defeated last week

I think the frame of Tombstone was damaged from earlier fights. Heck, it barely survived the fight with Duck. I read the Tombstone team didn’t bring a backup frame, it was probably never the same afte that wicked fight with Brazilian team the first week. Small cracks and stresses and what not.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Was glad to see Battlebots back. Very surprised to see Tombstone get defeated last week, but also happy to see it go. I think Minotaur will probably be the favorite now. That thing used to get so much rotational energy going they could hardly steer it when it was at full speed! The rotating horizontal cylinder definitely seems to be a popular weapon now. Yeti could go deep into the tournament too.
I used to enjoy watching it with my boys, but now it's just me watching it since they're older now.
Those little remote control versions of the real things are very cool! PinRob, I'm sure you and your son have a ton of fun with those. He may have as much fun as the old man!

Hello! Spoiler alert. Haha jjk

#23 5 years ago

Battlebots is must see TV for my son and I every Wednesday. We love picking fight winners and trash talking each other to see who wins the night.

#24 5 years ago

My DVR records like 5 episodes a day it seems. I can never keep track of the standings because I’m always watching out of order. Plus, I always skip through until the actual fights start. I can’t stand the filler stuff, especially Farooq’s never ending nursery rhyme intros or the nerdos doing nerdo team poses.

One of my favorites moments this season was one of the bots getting flipped out of the battle box behind the screws. I always like when I bot gets turtled or incapacitated by having its wheels surgically removed by a spinner.

Also, Kenny and the other guy do great commentary.

#25 5 years ago

The finals are tonight! Who will take home the giant nut!?!?

#26 5 years ago

Oh snaps. I thought this show got canceled! I remember Battle Bots on comedy central back in the day and thought that was cool. Then a couple years back a similar show was on one of the major networks for two seasons which I watched. I looked for it the next year, couldnt find it and just figured it just got canceled.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I looked for it the next year, couldnt find it and just figured it just got canceled

It was. They had no season in 2017. It got picked up in 2018 by discovery and science channel. This season was pretty awesome.

#28 5 years ago

Tiger, Henry is completely obsessed with Battlebots! He loves it.
I think the announcer is hilarious.

#29 5 years ago

Love this show!!! It’s funny seeing Farooq as the announcer.....he’s actually a game show host on a kids TV show on Universal kids called The Noise that I watch with my 5 year old. He’s all shaven there so I dunno where that beard came from?!

Let’s go Bronco!!

#30 5 years ago

My wife and I love to watch Battlebots. Faruq is awesome! Some of his stuff is way over the top but that's part of the charm. So glad to see Tombstone and his arrogant ass builder knocked out now. Down to 4 bots left. Who will win the Giant Nut?

Also agree that Robot Wars is a terrible imitation of this show. Not even close!

#31 5 years ago

Do you guys think Farooq sits at home coming up with those introductions?? I think the battle bot teams do...and he reads them off. Either that or the show has some interesting writers

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Do you guys think Farooq sits at home coming up with those introductions?? I think the battle bot teams do...and he reads them off. Either that or the show has some interesting writers

I actually read an interview with him. He doesnt write any of them, and actually reads them cold out there. I am sure it is edited when he messes up.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Tiger, Henry is completely obsessed with Battlebots! He loves it.
I think the announcer is hilarious.

What did Henry think about the finals? We were pulling for the Brazilians pretty hard in this household. Watched a couple other episodes to get warmed up for the finals.

Gosh, I hope there is a 2019 season. With all the filming being done in one long weekend it would seem like the show wouldn’t be too costly to film and produce.

#34 5 years ago

Damn, Huge got split in half

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Damn, Huge got split in half

That was a HUGE flaw in it's design!

8 months later
#36 4 years ago

BattleBots is back on the discovery channel. Any one watching the new season?

#37 4 years ago

Will definitely start watching again.
We went to the filming of an episode from last season. I loved the experience, family got tired of having to keep cheering for the same thing over and over when the scene didn’t go as planned. But I’d do it again

#38 4 years ago

What day/time does it air??

#39 4 years ago

BattleBots is awesome watch it all the time

#40 4 years ago

Watching again, Friday’s at 8PM

#41 4 years ago

I’m hoping Bronco is back in it this year, it wasn’t in either of the first two episodes.

1 week later
#42 4 years ago

Just watched a new episode and they had one battlebot throw a washing machine 20 feet into the air!

Pretty impressive.

#43 4 years ago

We went to this season's taping of the semi-finals episode. Really awesome experience. Jason, the judge sitting on the right is a pinball collector and probably on Pinside.

1 week later
#44 4 years ago

I’m loving this season. The bots are cooler and more destructive than last year.

We need to get a Pinside team in for 2020. @zukboy2002

#45 4 years ago

Watching another great season of BattleBots. The wife and I watch it. Some great new ones and awesome old ones. I like Tombstone and Bronco!

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I like Tombstone and Bronco!

I can't wait to see the Bronco vs. Hydra match...battle of the flippers!

2 months later
#47 4 years ago

Who’s gonna win this year? Tonight’s the night!

#48 4 years ago

Way way into Battlebots! Have seen nearly every fight since 2001 and wear the t-shirt often.

Duck was ROBBED last season of his chance to face Tombstone which ended up in a totally boring faceoff with Bombshell. Fortunately, they were absolutely destroyed this year... just desserts!!! Ha!!

Team Witch Doctor always annoyed me with their dorky hats and unscary wiggle finger routines that seem to go on FOREVER (with lackluster battle outcomes to boot). But you gotta hand it to them this year for retooling the design and going 4-0... damn. Vertical spinners are totally owning the rankings this year, and horizontal spinners are showing their age... even Tombstone is getting a little creaky against these big AR metal ramps.

Huge did well and is a wonderful bot. Hope to see more weird designs like this. And Mammoth... LOL... who knew a retooled swing set could win a round?

Effing Bite Force. Now everyone wants to play the vertical spinner/low ground game. Props for such a long winning streak though. Will tonight be another notch in the belt?

Blacksmith always puts on a good show. Can't get enough power with that hammer though. Where's Beta? That was a bad ass hammer bot!

Bronco... damn. Oh man. This year was hard to watch. Bronco has been my favorite bot since the old days - now heading for the glue factory. So much character! Such epic flips! Even had a chance to win the nut last year, but frustratingly missed several good opportunities to clinch it. And now poor Bronco is outclassed and out-driven by almost everything else. *sniff*

Team Why-Achi really upped their game this year with Hydra. Seems like this team can do anything now. SOW is still racking up wins better than the older spinners like Shrederator which is a testament to its core design. Eyes on these guys.

Deathroll, Cobalt, and Railgun Max delivered some epic vertical spins... with Deathroll 4-0. The knife-in-hand mech is epic!

Quantum = gorgeous and scary. Needs better teeth. Hope to see it again. Poor Duck.

Minotaur has been one helluva nail-biter of a ride and they could still clinch it after crawling back up the ranks by the skin of their teeth. I hope they do. They're SO emotional and into it... love this team.

Overall this has been one of the best seasons ever. Nothing too controversial, no weaklings squeaking through on pure luck, just pure high stakes white-knuckle fights to the finish.

If I wasn't into pinball, I'd be a bot builder. Have some haptic/spherical/horizontal energy transfer designs which would be really fun to test in the box.

#49 4 years ago

Just started watching this about a month ago! $15 for the season on Amazon, not too bad. I'll be ignoring this thread until we get caught up.

1 week later
#50 4 years ago

Finally got caught up. Witch Doctor almost did it! I was really pulling for the Aussies and Death Roll. I was glad to see Tombstone go out in spectacular fashion. That guy Ray Billings is so full of himself. Sad for Minotaur. Highlight of the finals for me was watching Faruq do the Carlton dance. Now that was funny!

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-one-watch-battlebots-or-robot-wars-?hl=ronswanson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.