(Topic ID: 33471)

Any news on the X-Men power pack due out by XMas?

By tmort

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 379 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by tsool
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

deadpool.jpg
images-1.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg
1111de4.jpg
idiocracy.jpg
1111111_rock-your-ugly-christmas-sweat.jpg
santa.jpg
258-2.jpg
smod2012.jpg
apoc.jpeg
coal-stocking.jpg
205-2.jpg
crazay.jpg

There are 379 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
#351 7 years ago

I am very thankful for this update, can't wait to apply it. Thanks Stern!
I am really hoping to see deadpool in the next update, but until then, may the games begin!

#352 7 years ago

As I went through the settings I noticed Deadpool timer sill there. At least he wasnt 86ed

#353 7 years ago

Anyone want to start bets on a future update with Deadpool added?

#354 7 years ago

I got it: control + R for a Mac.

I kept opening the read me file and didn't see the update (only 1.21), but the actual code file contains 1.23

#355 7 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Anyone want to start bets on a future update with Dadpool added?

The Magic 8 Ball said it is certainly so

#356 7 years ago

Is the Pro code updated as well? I see the LE ReadMe update, but the Pro Readme is the same.

#357 7 years ago

Humm you guys need me to put the file up some where?

#358 7 years ago

To answer my own question, the Pro is up! V 1.04, but as of right now the readme on the Stern site is not updated, but download the file and go nuts! Merry Christmas

#359 7 years ago
Quoted from crazyerk:

To answer my own question, the Pro is up! V 1.04, but as of right now the readme on the Stern site is not updated, but download the file and go nuts! Merry Christmas

readme might be in the zip file, it was for the LE version.

Posted my thoughts on a few games played in the other thread. Not really feeling it myself...

#360 7 years ago
Quoted from BriGuy5:

Why post this with no explanation? This post is useless

Is it still useless?

#361 7 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

It was your reason that I called BS on. Not liking XM, or liking Avengers more, is totally legit opinion. But the way you made it a competition between the two, and said it was because ball times on XM were so long you were bored, that was goofy.
Honestly, with only 83 plays on XM, and I'm assuming many were when you first got it on code which was skeletal and didn't score correctly, I'd say you don't really know XM well at all and just sort of tried to come up with a reason that sounded right.

Thats fine. I know the game on code 1.2 and I defend my statement that the game time are long and the game is boring. Spam Wolverine and spam the scoop, hit ice man ramp, hit cyclops etc..,

The upper left is tight and clunky. If you can make it flow game can be fun. The weapon X multi ball is pathetic and lame and this mode alone makes me think the game is boring. I think I just hate games with bumpers that feed the left scoop as IJ4 is the same and I put up well over 100 million the second time I played it.

I like fast games and will defend Avengers as being 10 times better than X-men. I think avengers is a top 10 and prefer almost every game in the top 50 to X-men.

#362 7 years ago

Interesting. I have an exact opposite opinion of XMEN. I think the game is fast and challenging. I love the artwork, the music, the theme, the gameplay. Its a top 5 of all time to me. Can't wait to apply the update and see how it flows now. Maybe I can get to danger room finally! Its great that Stern builds different games for different tastes.

Quoted from hank527:

Thats fine. I know the game on code 1.2 and I defend my statement that the game time are long and the game is boring. Spam Wolverine and spam the scoop, hit ice man ramp, hit cyclops etc..,
The upper left is tight and clunky. If you can make it flow game can be fun. The weapon X multi ball is pathetic and lame and this mode alone makes me think the game is boring. I think I just hate games with bumpers that feed the left scoop as IJ4 is the same and I put up well over 100 million the second time I played it.
I like fast games and will defend Avengers as being 10 times better than X-men. I think Avengers is a top 10 and prefer almost every game in the top 50 to X-men.

#363 7 years ago

merry "X" mas

deadpool.jpg

#364 7 years ago

Well that explains it!

The Pro code is different then the LE!

Smack my ass and call me Sally!

I have 1.03 updated on my Pro and wondered why I wasnt at 1.22.

IS there a list of changes for the Pro Version?

#365 7 years ago

Looks same to me.

STERN PINBALL, INC. *
* (C) COPYRIGHT 2007 - 2012 STERN PINBALL, INC. *
* X-Men PRO *

HELP US, HELP YOU! If you have any suggestions, questions, need technical
advice, find errors or have comments, contact us through our website:

http://www.sternpinball.com/contact.shtml

or call 1-800-542-5377. You can also email software@sternpinball.com to
report any software problems.

This text file and all other documents relating to this product, playfield
components, features, rules, programming and operation are subject to change
without notice (Service Bulletins, if applicable, available through our
website).

V1.04 - December 21, 2012
=======================
- X-Men modes now stack and can run concurrently with each other. They may also run concurrently with other modes/multiballs if they were started beforehand.
- Reduced the number of shots to start X-Men modes from 2 to 1. Reduced the subsequent difficulties (hard and very hard) by one shot each.
- Mystery no longer adds time to running X-Men modes.
- Nightcrawler no longer begins if a villain is lit for start.
- Reduced the number of shots needed to complete Shadow King, Omega Red, Juggernaut, and Sentinels.
- Increased all the total values and super jackpots of all non-multiball villain modes.
- Reduced the timer of all villain modes from 60 seconds to 45 seconds.
- Reduced the number of side bank shots to enable Brotherhood and Hellfire multiballs.
- Completing X-Men modes now provide +3X end of ball bonus multipliers instead of contributing to Danger Room requirements.
- Danger Room requirement is now based on Magneto Multiball super jackpot being achieved. This must occur with all 8 X-Men modes started and 4 balls locked before Magneto Multiball begins.
- Phoenix Mode takes one less shot to complete.
- Bottom lanes completed do not light villain start when a villain mode is currently running. They will contribute normally if lanes are completed outside a villain mode.

#366 7 years ago

To mechslave, I think some opinions about XM are about the linearity and not the randomness. Plenty of competitive players enjoy Iron Man, and it has even more randomization.

XM seems like it has some relatively straightforward strategy decisions -- Wolverine is good anytime, get Xmen rounds before Magneto, start villains right before Magneto. There's relatively little that happens to change your focus, and that is one reason I prefer ACDC or Iron Man. Playfield shots are pretty cool on XM, and there are some interesting ideas like the health-bar villains. But in competition it play "same-y" in that all players are trying to achieve the same goals in the same order and the same way. That generally doesn't happen on ACDC or Tron or Iron Man or a lot of the games I consider top-tier competition machines. It has nothing to do with the randomization of the magnets -- in fact I would argue there is less randomization in XM than a lot of high-quality tournament games, and games at Expo and SPF seemed to last longer on XM than other machines.

That said I fully recognize that the target audience for pinball is not competitive players, and that XM does a fine job of presenting kids and casual players with cool, obvious goals (hit Wolverine, awesome!). A game can do great without appealing to competitive play, and a game can be a dog seller while awesome for competition. But if anything, more randomization might be better for competitive play: otherwise it's Elwins all the way down.

#367 7 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

all players are trying to achieve the same goals in the same order and the same way

what could be done to maybe make x-men into a less straightforward deal strategy-wise? i mean lets just assume software updates'll keep coming...idk how much going for dark phoenix is worth but it seems like there is never that much incentive to play villian modes cept wanting to beat up juggernaut or grabbing a multiball or something..

#368 7 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

To mechslave, I think some opinions about XM are about the linearity and not the randomness. Plenty of competitive players enjoy Iron Man, and it has even more randomization.

Yeah, I'd say it has about the same once Monger is activated. Wolverine is sitting there from plunge one. Yet IM has War Machine (while predictable, still a bear), and Whiplash is analogous to Magneto's magnet/spinner.

Quoted from bkerins:

XM seems like it has some relatively straightforward strategy decisions -- Wolverine is good anytime, get Xmen rounds before Magneto, start villains right before Magneto. There's relatively little that happens to change your focus, and that is one reason I prefer ACDC or Iron Man. Playfield shots are pretty cool on XM, and there are some interesting ideas like the health-bar villains. But in competition it play "same-y" in that all players are trying to achieve the same goals in the same order and the same way.

Sure, I agree with a lot of that. XM's tournament play and scoring would benefit from a fast-scoring option from the BH or HF targets as secondary uses for them, or one of the good ol Stern 2x's implemented. XM could do with more choices in strategy, and that'd help its competitive appeal big time... adding at least one fairly risky path with a big payout.

Quoted from bkerins:

It has nothing to do with the randomization of the magnets -- in fact I would argue there is less randomization in XM than a lot of high-quality tournament games, and games at Expo and SPF seemed to last longer on XM than other machines.

Well, no, the randomization is always there, it just doesn't always screw you over. Just because something can happen, doesn't mean it will. I've hit Wolverine 10x in a row and not had a dangerous drain happen. I've also hit him twice and had two drains which were unsavable, 2 for 2. That's the scenario I'm speaking to, which I think some competitive players pull their hair out over, because there's no way to predict it or avoid it. Where in ACDC, Tron, etc you know why you drained when you do. Tron's disc was absolutely wild on a brand new cleared playfield, with the backspin having a life of its own, but I was disappointed to see that once the field is broken-in, the randomness of the disc is lessened to an almost non-factor, being so far away from the flippers. On a brand new Tron the ball would come down spinning and you'd try to catch it and it'd defy gravity and just walk away from you!! That was the randomness I loved, the tenseness of never-knowing, of being in total control one moment and through no fault of your own as a player, having the game taken away from you. XM (and yes, definitely IM as well) has that element going for it which I think narrows its appeal to some. You can never really relax during play.

Quoted from bkerins:

But if anything, more randomization might be better for competitive play: otherwise it's Elwins all the way down.

Totally agree! As a very average tournament player, the more of an equalizer a machine is the better!

#369 7 years ago

I haven't downloaded it yet but it would be nice to hear some new call outs so you are not always hearing the same ones. Also some new action sounds and music would be good too.

#370 7 years ago
Quoted from Nightstick:

I haven't downloaded it yet but it would be nice to hear some new call outs so you are not always hearing the same ones. Also some new action sounds and music would be good too.

Sorry about your luck. New update has nothing new as far as modes, DMD animations, sounds or features goes. It's like they took the old code and shook it up until it was a cluttered mess. I hope you like the sound quotes of Wolverine being hit....because he says them when any hero shot is hit instead of the hero specific quotes. There is no doubt that this update has fewer sound clips and you see less of the DMD animations than any previous version. Merry Christmas.

PS: As a stocking stuffer they fixed a couple of bugs, but made sure to add 2 for every 1 fixed.

#371 7 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

It's like they took the old code and shook it up until it was a cluttered mess. Merry Christmas.

It may seem that way if you leave it at default settings. But it's really not that way. Set mode start to hard.

They took the old code (v1.2), made the magnets stronger, improved the magneto lock mech a little, added mode stacking to hero modes, decreased the requirements for getting brotherhood and hellfire going (a welcomed change), and reworked some rules on danger room, extra balls, and bonus multipliers. It's no power pack but it's not a "cluttered mess" nor is it worse than 1.2.

There may be a couple bugs but it's not bug ridden. There is some confusion on the callouts during stacked modes but the hard setting helps this as well by preventing too many stacked modes running at once. The villain lights are a bit wacky but it's not that bad as you can see what's going on when you try to select a villain. That's about it.

Most the rest is just people over reacting due to it being such a disappointment when promised a power pack.

#372 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It may seem that way if you leave it at default settings. But it's really not that way. Set mode start to hard.
They took the old code (v1.2), made the magnets stronger, improved the magneto lock mech a little, added mode stacking to hero modes, decreased the requirements for getting brotherhood and hellfire going (a welcomed change), and reworked some rules on danger room, extra balls, and bonus multipliers. It's no power pack but it's not a "cluttered mess" nor is it worse than 1.2.
There may be a couple bugs but it's not bug ridden. There is some confusion on the callouts during stacked modes but the hard setting helps this as well by preventing too many stacked modes running at once. The villain lights are a bit wacky but it's not that bad as you can see what's going on when you try to select a villain. That's about it.
Most the rest is just people over reacting due to it being such a disappointment when promised a power pack.

Meh, its all opinions, yours is no more valid than others.

Setting it to hard changes nothing for me, it may help if your the type of player that catches and shoots at the same shot over and over not hitting anything else, but if you play the flow game comboing all the shots you end up in the same place as if it took one to start each mode. Even set to hard I've had so many modes starting and ending plus blackbird awards going on and a lock it still wanted to tell me about it left me no time to actually choose a villain to start, it had timed out. And it's happened more than once. Cluttered jumbled mess definitely compared to what I've been playing the past few months.

I am glad you like it though! Much better horse to be sitting on for sure!

#373 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The over reaction I agree with as Stern should not promise and then not deliver. They should have promised TF and mentioned updates for other games including Avengers and X-men may follow. I love Avengers and hope TF gets sorted out. X-men will just continue to sit and not get played until they get it sorted out. In 5 months and out of 20+ games its definitely the least played in my collection. I am dead serious that my game has less than 120 plays total in 5 months. I think its right around 100 though I'll give a margin for error of 20

I guess I do care as I want to like the game and I want the code to be decent so I want to play it. I put on V 1.23 played 2 games and then turned it off. I do think it has potential if refined. I just cannot understand why they released it "as-is".

#374 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

...but thinking of what bugs were fixed VS what has cropped up? I know they fixed the Iceman ramp movement in Iceman mode, but not other modes that the ramp is used in. The lock bug was fixed in version 1.22 so I'm not counting that as a fix on this update. Bugs added to this update is the Wolverine hit quotes playing instead of each heroes sound clip when they are hit (so fewer sound clips in the game). The villain insert lights behaving strangely. Storm counting as some of the Xavier VUK shots. More bugs added than removed by my count. Especially when you consider nothing really new was added to this release. It's just different adjustments and rules of modes and features that were already there.

#375 7 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

...but thinking of what bugs were fixed VS what has cropped up? I know they fixed the Iceman ramp movement in Iceman mode, but not other modes that the ramp is used in. The lock bug was fixed in version 1.22 so I'm not counting that as a fix on this update. Bugs added to this update is the Wolverine hit quotes playing instead of each heroes sound clip when they are hit (so few sound clips in the game in general). The villain insert lights behaving strangely. Storm counting as some of the Xavier VUK shots. More bugs added than removed by my count. Especially when you consider nothing really new was added to this release. It's just different adjustments and rules of modes and features that were already there.

1.22 was not released. 1.2 was the last release. Someone ripping it off a machine shouldn't count. So in that sense the little things do count like the magneto lock improvement. But I agree with you on the rest of the bugs though. Valid points indeed.

#377 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

1.22 was not released. 1.2 was the last release. Someone ripping it off a machine shouldn't count. So in that sense the little things do count like the magneto lock improvement. But I agree with you on the rest of the bugs though. Valid points indeed.

If you want to nit-pick, 1.21 was the last official release posted on Stern's site before the Power Pack...and it didn't fix the Magneto lock. If you want to give 1.23 credit for fixing the lock timing...1.23 still creates more bugs than it fixes and adds very little except jumbled up rules that need to be tinkered with by the user to play well.

1.0 & 1.1 shipped with first run LE's
1.2 released by Stern and broke the lock timing
1.21 released by Stern but still didn't fix the lock timing (+ cool Xavier mode and Sentinel intro)
1.22 shipped on later run LE's and posted to the internet. This fixed the lock timing.
1.23 POWER PACK!

It seems with 1.2, 1.21 and 1.22 things were looking up and heading in the right direction. 1.23 seem like someone went in to work and just started moving lines of rule code around to make it easier.

#378 7 years ago

Scared to load it now

#379 7 years ago

I am actually pondering if I should email Stern and ask if the Power Pack they announced got delayed because of bug fixing and Avengers. I seriously cannot consider the new code a Power Pack.

Furthermore, I will definitely write a letter addressed to Mr. Stern. I have only two pins in my collection. How can it be that a machine from 1993 is so much better than a NIB from 2012? That is not what the company promised... For me it is crystal clear that I will never buy another Stern NIB because of the way it all played out with XM LE. I rather save my money for some nice Williams rebuilt Pins.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ropesville, TX
There are 379 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside