(Topic ID: 33471)

Any news on the X-Men power pack due out by XMas?

By tmort

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 379 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by tsool
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deadpool.jpg
images-1.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg
1111de4.jpg
idiocracy.jpg
1111111_rock-your-ugly-christmas-sweat.jpg
santa.jpg
258-2.jpg
smod2012.jpg
apoc.jpeg
coal-stocking.jpg
205-2.jpg
crazay.jpg
There are 379 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
#251 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So I'm actually not wrong. We were not promised any thing by Christmas but apparently *you* were . All we have is the letter by Gary Stern. Private conversations are unofficial and don't count - ie: how can I be let down by a promise made to you in private?

My Xmas gift to you - you're right. Happy Holidays.

#252 11 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Lol

#253 11 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

Is it ok to bitch about people bitching about the bitching though?
:p

Oh it can go on and on. The possibilities are endless!

#254 11 years ago

Really though, we all want the same thing - I think. A code that makes XM more fun. Everything else is there more or less. Maybe open source would be the way to go one day like Captain Nemo???

#255 11 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

NOT FAIR! Why does he get a xmas present and I don't.

#256 11 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Official press release was for Christmas power pack updates.
There is 3 days yet.

Shh, I'm trying to get the townsfolk to put down their pitchforks in case it doesn't happen!

#257 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Really though, we all want the same thing - I think. A code that makes XM more fun. Everything else is there more or less. Maybe open source would be the way to go one day like Captain Nemo???

Nah, here's the answer: Stern should make Lyman Lead Programmer/Game Designer or something like that. He knows the little nuances that make games fun that most people don't think about. He understands how all the little details weave together to bring satisfaction to the player. Everyone at Stern should trust his instincts and allow him to collaborate in a way that just benefits everyone at the end of the day. Throw the egos out the window - you want the games to be the best? Trust Lyman!!!!

#258 11 years ago

I just want to apologize for letting this get under my skin last night and adding to the "fire" and frustration by playing devil's advocate and trying to stick up for Stern a bit. While I do personally still think that the game is fine as is, I want it to get even better as much as everyone else does.

I like the ramp as it is (I honestly don't mind that it randomly dumps the ball on the playfield...I still think that was the original objective, to add randomness), but I can totally see how it frustrates some and they would rather have it stay put until the ball is down. Hopefully that logic will be tweaked to make everyone happy. As for things being in the menu, they could just go the route of removing them from the menu since there are no other references to them, but I honestly think they will be added to the game instead, and I welcome them with open arms. At least there isn't a Deadpool insert on the playfield mocking us in its vast nothingness! (I say this as a former WoF owner...LOL!).

So really, we all want the same things. It's a manner of if we feel as though we are entitled to them to turn a crap game into a good one, or if they will truly be "a gift" or a cherry on top of an already tasty sundae. I obviously think the later, but I can respect those that think more along the lines of the former. I get that many of you are looking at this as an opportunity for Stern to build trust and show their support for the owners as you have shown support for them by buying. Totally understandable way of looking at it.

Here is to hoping Santa Gary comes through, and no matter what we think of him and his company, his team delivers everything we all are wishing for.

Merry Christmas everyone! And again, if I caused anybody's blood pressure to raise, I do apologize.

All the best,
Chris

#259 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Nah, here's the answer: Stern should make Lyman Lead Programmer/Game Designer or something like that. He knows the little nuances that make games fun that most people don't think about. He understands how all the little details weave together to bring satisfaction to the player. Everyone at Stern should trust his instincts and allow him to collaborate in a way that just benefits everyone at the end of the day. Throw the egos out the window - you want the games to be the best? Trust Lyman!!!!

That is a fantastic idea. The rules there are great, but with his guidance they could all gel together and create an awesome experience. I would love to see his influence take X-Men into the same category as the all time greats.

#260 11 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

By all accounts I have every indication xmen and Transformers will see new code power packs by Christmas

I'm pretty sure Stern is closed till after Xmas. Can't see that happening.

#261 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That it's not already so is mindboggling to me.
He is a legend in pinball, and rightfully so. The man is responsible for some of the best rules and software on a pin. Stern get a clue!!!

All hail King Lyman!!

#262 11 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Just because the office is closed, does not prevent folks to go in to get work done or VPN in to drop files on a server. If the code updates were not done already weeks ago we have bigger problems.

#263 11 years ago

Ropp must have dirt on Gary to have kept his job this long.

#264 11 years ago

I thought Ben said the code was already compiled and ready. I guess they are keeping us in suspense until Christmas Eve?

#265 11 years ago

Greg i am going to shotgun your face.

#266 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Don't be a meanie, 'tis the season of the Zombiespacejew!

#267 11 years ago

I am really enjoying my X-Men LE at the moment.

With the prospect of at least another two updates to come, it just means for me that a great game as it is will only get better.

#268 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Merry Christmas to all, let the Zombie Apoclipse begin.

#269 11 years ago

Those guys at Stern better be working on the promised X-Men code updates and NOT at home enjoying Christmas with their families!

Ease up fellas, tis' the season. You'll get it soon enough.

#270 11 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

Those guys at Stern better be working on the promised X-Men code updates and NOT at home enjoying Christmas with their families!

I second this! Why they're even allowed families is beyond me.........

#271 11 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I just want to apologize for letting this get under my skin last night and adding to the "fire" and frustration by playing devil's advocate and trying to stick up for Stern a bit.
Chris

Lol Dav8515 really did get you going didn't he? He was and is willing to be a fan of Stern. He has bought NIB machines, used machines and williams machines. He has no money in this game. He doesn't fix them, profit off of them, operate them or anything. He's just your average joe sharing an opinion as a real customer. Just a guy who plays in a league and has had a few machines. Plays on location as well. Isn't that the dream we all have for pinball? To go reminisce about playing in an arcade or a hidden game in a movie theatre and drop quarters like you did years ago? Then one day you grow up and get your own machine brand new. A dream come true. His opinion is that missing link that (in his honest opinion) JJP is trying to cater to. The regular guy that in the end is what pinball relies on. The kids he shows pinball to and the next generation if pinball can deliver. The way he feels JJP is trying to. There's too many people on here that have skin in the game. Very few people on here like that from what I've seen. His opinion shouldn't make anyone upset. It's the valuable overlooked opinion that allowed JJP to get all that money from a few words to start the factory. How in the world did he pull that off? Successful or not in the end he feels treated better by JJP. Especially when He touches WOZ a few weeks after an X-men NIB. Then hears about a new game before the kinks are worked out on his. Now that is frustrating.

#272 11 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

From the beginning Gary said "Holiday power pack" ... which means some time between Thanksgiving and New Years....

Au contraire, mon-frère,

2013 Holidays
-----------------
Jan 1st, New Years Day
Feb 12th, Lincoln's Birthday
Feb 14th Valentine's Day
Feb 18th Presidents Day
Feb some-other-day - MLK Jr's B-Day
May 5th? Mother's Day
June 6th D-Day
June 17th Father's Day
July 4th Independence Day

... see what I just did there?

#273 11 years ago

Father's Day power pack!

#274 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Nah, here's the answer: Stern should make Lyman Lead Programmer/Game Designer or something like that.

I agree, in fact I mentioned this on Pinside before. Stern should hire a coder or two and allow Lyman time to oversee the rules on every game. Without that, we are left with 3 teams doing most of their design independent from each other: Gomez/Lopp, Borg/Waison, Ritchie/Lyman. If Stern doesn't put the right people in charge or mix up the teams, you can pretty much guess the quality of each end result.

#275 11 years ago
Quoted from HB_GAMER:

Just because the office is closed, does not prevent folks to go in to get work done or VPN in to drop files on a server. If the code updates were not done already weeks ago we have bigger problems.

I was about to say the same thing. I'm not saying they will, but if the code is loaded up and ready it would be as simple as someone logging in and make the code go live. It's not like the whole factory has to go in and upload the code. Log-in, click...there it is.

#276 11 years ago

Sunday or Monday, guys! Wheeee! FOR REALS & DONE DEALS!

#277 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Talking to Borg on FB i see

#278 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Indeed

#279 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That is great news. Did he mention some of the things in the update?

#280 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Gary Claus was doing a practice run down my chimney, so we shot the shit before he took off in his magic flying pinball cabinet!

#281 11 years ago

someone needs to get their ass in gear on photoshop and give us a real gary claus, i believe in him, but many just need to see to believe

#282 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Gary Claus was doing a practice run down my chimney, so we shot the shit before he took off in his magic flying pinball cabinet!

Sorry about the smell. I know he is not potty trained yet.

#283 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Sorry about the smell. I know he is not potty trained yet.

Yeah...he accidentally dropped the sack of poop he was gonna drop down your chimney

#284 11 years ago
Quoted from jespo_19:

someone needs to get their ass in gear on photoshop and give us a real gary claus, i believe in him, but many just need to see to believe

....a gangnam style Gary Claus

#285 11 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Many people work Christmas Eve. That's not a holiday.
Sunday or Monday it drops

#286 11 years ago

I hope so along with Transformers.

#287 11 years ago

A few fun reminders...

Yup, this is always how code has been done. If you don't like what it is like, don't get it as it might not change. Ever. There are a bunch of games from all eras and manufacturers with some questionable stuff, even stuff that was clearly known immediately.

There is a good chance that Stern has to take the code back to the licensor to get approval for any updates, so even if the ramp issue is an easy fix, taking it back to Disney and getting new approval for it might be a big hassle. Add to that perhaps the way they make the code is that they can only have so many code approval updates, so maybe the rare "power pack" updates are because they only signed up to do so many updates. Disney ain't making much from this, so how long would you really want someone getting paid to check code updates? In that case, I'd rather have them substantial instead of a fixed ramp.

Stern doesn't owe anyone anything, but at the same time the issue that they have is if the initial owners are not happy with their purchase, it makes it a lot less likely that they will buy again. The number of people who can dump $6k+ on a machine even once a year isn't that big, if they have a bunch of busts that make people want to avoid the machines, sales will start dropping off on LEs and quickly. If Transformers, X-Men and Avengers are all considered busts, that *will* start to affect their bottom line. Right now, their record isn't the hottest.

I just came on here to read how cool the update was... here's hoping

#288 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

A few fun reminders...
Yup, this is always how code has been done. If you don't like what it is like, don't get it as it might not change. Ever. There are a bunch of games from all eras and manufacturers with some questionable stuff, even stuff that was clearly known immediately.
There is a good chance that Stern has to take the code back to the licensor to get approval for any updates, so even if the ramp issue is an easy fix, taking it back to Disney and getting new approval for it might be a big hassle. Add to that perhaps the way they make the code is that they can only have so many code approval updates, so maybe the rare "power pack" updates are because they only signed up to do so many updates. Disney ain't making much from this, so how long would you really want someone getting paid to check code updates? In that case, I'd rather have them substantial instead of a fixed ramp.
Stern doesn't owe anyone anything, but at the same time the issue that they have is if the initial owners are not happy with their purchase, it makes it a lot less likely that they will buy again. The number of people who can dump $6k+ on a machine even once a year isn't that big, if they have a bunch of busts that make people want to avoid the machines, sales will start dropping off on LEs and quickly. If Transformers, X-Men and Avengers are all considered busts, that *will* start to affect their bottom line. Right now, their record isn't the hottest.
I just came on here to read how cool the update was... here's hoping

I understand what you are saying and that is why after Star Trek they have lost me as a customer. Too bad i am a sucker for a theme i love, but i will need it next to my TNG. I am not giving them my money to treat me like this anymore

#289 11 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

I second this! Why they're even allowed families is beyond me.........

between this and the zombie space jew you guys have me rollin.

I am also not sure why they are allowed to leave the factory. EVER. cot in the basement and keep working. Chain there leg to a workstation and keep assembling..... (whip cracking sounds in background) =-) hopefully they get it done but do not need them working every day of the year. 5 days a week is good enough for me.

#290 11 years ago
Quoted from dav8515:

I understand what you are saying and that is why after Star Trek they have lost me as a customer. Too bad i am a sucker for a theme i love, but i will need it next to my TNG. I am not giving them my money to treat me like this anymore

Yea dude. You've been so incredibly abused by them.

#291 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Poorbracito and Los cientos.

#292 11 years ago

I heard the new code was on the pro at gameworks already.

Looks like multiple modes can run at the same time, some bug fixes, etc. More code to come in the coming weeks it seems.

#293 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

To shut down an opinion like a protestor saying "Shame on you for not agreeing with me" does not contribute to the conversation. If you have a different opinion then share it.

#294 11 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

Looks like multiple modes can run at the same time

Well that's promising, didn't expect that would make it in this update.

#295 11 years ago

Someone go to GW, throw down a pitcher, take a sledge to the coin door, back up the code and run

#296 11 years ago
Quoted from HB_GAMER:

Someone go to GW, throw down a pitcher, take a sledge to the coin door, back up the code and run

Or just wait 24 hours. Whichever is easier.

#297 11 years ago

But what about Tron!?

/flippingout
/threadhijack

#298 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Stern doesn't owe anyone anything, but at the same time the issue that they have is if the initial owners are not happy with their purchase, it makes it a lot less likely that they will buy again.

I disagree. Stern has a long history of releasing games with incomplete code, and thus they've trained their customers (almost all repeat customers) to expect it to be polished off eventually. In fact, most electronics item you buy today receive "firmware updates" after release for bug fixes and enhancements, for the same reason.

Not only that, but embracing the collector market as they have with premium priced games, requires them to provide longer term support more so than before."Owe" is a harsh term, but it appropriately reflects the reality of keeping market share, and Stern does a good job of long term support thus far. If that ever falters, it will be a problem for them.

#299 11 years ago

This is a process that Micro$oft has started and many companies have followed suit with

#300 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I havent been abused, i have been misled over and over and kept giving them chances. Maybe ur used to being misled and suckered all the time and like it. But i don't. Would it really be that hard for stern to post a message on fb and say the code will be out this day.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 379 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-news-on-the-x-men-power-pack-due-out-by-xmas/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.