(Topic ID: 33471)

Any news on the X-Men power pack due out by XMas?

By tmort

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 379 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by tsool
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deadpool.jpg
images-1.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg
1111de4.jpg
idiocracy.jpg
1111111_rock-your-ugly-christmas-sweat.jpg
santa.jpg
258-2.jpg
smod2012.jpg
apoc.jpeg
coal-stocking.jpg
205-2.jpg
crazay.jpg
There are 379 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

What I meant by the Iceman timing was the fact that the ramp will move before the ball gets off it and into the inlane. Sometimes this directly results in a drain. IMO, the ramp should completely stay put in Iceman mode so you can do back to back ramp shots. At any rate, it should stay put long enough to exit the ramp properly. Its just a pet peeve, I guess.

More than a pet peeve...that's a full on bug - a main feature that doesn't work properly.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

For me, the reaction to X-Men has been the most baffling thing in my pinball hobbying. The fact that people who loved the gameplay of Tron disliked the gameplay of X-Men is bizarre...the fact that people are saying the shots are too hard when they're pretty much just like any other game with far shots in pinball. Everyone knows what good acting and quality voicework sounds like from pretty much every game EVER - the fact that ONE PERSON says "Beast is fine" just blows my f*cking mind.

Beast isn't fine. Beast is awesome. My favorite. Learn to laugh. Pinball is fun. Have some fun geez

Quoted from jimjim66:

This is the reason-
The age demographic for pinball collecting is younger than before and is a market only recently created. Most of the LE's are in homes and not on route, and collectors in any hobby can be very picky. Aux, Wolverine position, and e-clip are all LE problems, and the LE's are in the hands of collectors who don't want to mess with problems on a NIB purchase. The Aux board is a big problem as some people have had multiple boards with long down times.
You are right in that it is a very good game that has a lot going for it. I just think if it did not have these initial problems, it would have appreciated fast. Once the software update comes, and the Aux problem is 100 percent fixed, the game will get its due.

true. But I think people need to realize that nib or not, pinball has a cost of ownership that includes getting your hands dirty and tweaking the games. The "I just want to play" attitude is great but these games will always need some tweaks and maintenance.

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

true. But I think people need to realize they nib or not, pinball has a chat of ownership that includes getting your hands dirty and tweaking the games. The "I just want to play" attitude is great but these games will always need some tweaks and maintenance.

This is a more recent trend. 10 years ago, only a very, very, small percentage bought NIB pins for home use. If you did own a pin, you probably purchased it off a route, or auction and knew how to fix them up, tinker with them etc..., That was part of the fun challenge. Cheaper than buying/fixing cars.

Now these new pins are aimed at people with upper incomes that have "man caves", or collectors who want pristine machines that will appreciate. Many of these new people in the hobby are not going to want to maintain these. They are spending 7-8k for a turn key machine. Telling them that is going to fall on deaf ears. Look at the commercial for the "Pin", is that target group going to want to spend time working on a pin? That's only for a 3k pin, just think what the expectations are going to be for a 7k one you bought off Ebay.

JJP and Stern created a new segment to sell their pins, with this new customer base is going to be a whole new set of problems for these pinball companies. Just an opinion, but Limited Editions are going to be Unlimited Problems for Gary and Jack.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

JJP and Stern created a new segment to sell their pins, with this new customer base is going to be a whole new set of problems for these pinball companies. Just an opinion, but Limited Editions are going to be Unlimited Problems for Gary and Jack.

No its not. If you spend that much you learn quickly whats required. Trust me guys with the most expensive bikes and cars for toys spend more money and time tinkering then driving.
My wife calls my bike half a Harley because I have literally taken about half the bike off and replaced with mods.

#55 11 years ago

Perhaps with "Home Warranties" Subbed out like Square Trade on Ebay does,
The market might expand if someone knew they had a 1 year in house full service available.

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Now these new pins are aimed at people with upper incomes that have "man caves", or collectors who want pristine machines that will appreciate. Many of these new people in the hobby are not going to want to maintain these. They are spending 7-8k for a turn key machine. Telling them that is going to fall on deaf ears. Look at the commercial for the "Pin", is that target group going to want to spend time working on a pin? That's only for a 3k pin, just think what the expectations are going to be for a 7k one you bought off Ebay.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

No its not. If you spend that much you learn quickly whats required. Trust me guys with the most expensive bikes and cars for toys spend more money and time tinkering then driving.
My wife calls my bike half a Harley because I have literally taken about half the bike off and replaced with mods.

Bikes and cars are not the same demographics these new pins are marketed at. Look at the commercial for the "Pin" and look at the theme WOZ. WOZ is being marketed for a new segment of pin owners. Gary said at his last seminar the days of seeing sexy women on a backglass are over.

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

More than a pet peeve...that's a full on bug - a main feature that doesn't work properly.

And so ridiculously easy to fix. The motor should not move back to position 1 from position 2 until the switch in the bottom of the left ramp is hit. I mean, this should've been in the original code (a no-brainer) but at least in the first update. By now, it's to the level on incompetence for paid professionals working on pinball code.

(Now, with that type of feature, there's always the risk that you send back-to-back quick shots up the ramp and the second ball goes over the flippers because of the first shot activating it. But that'd be a really rare case and just a side-effect of a moving ramp).

Fixing the goal structure so you can work towards villian and hero goals at the same time, so you aren't encouraged to time-out modes, is the other big one. Any time the best strategy towards a goal is to sit with a ball on flipper and watch a timer expire (over and over) then you know for certain have failed as a rule designer and programmer.

It's their first time as pinball programmers, but this isn't Borg's first rodeo, and he had a lot of time to work with them especially with the extended production of ACDC, so as owners these are things we've already paid for in July. I had a problem with labeling it as a Christmas gift. I'm expecting not only those no-brainer fixes, but a few wow-factor mode suprises, then I'll feel a lot better about this gift.

The layout is extemely fun to shoot, gameplay is fast, the art is gorgeous, the lighting is superb (esp with the couple Hemi mods I've done) and there's a lot of randomness with the spinner and magnets to keep each game fresh. The code is all that's keeping this one from being a truly great one, and the framework for an incredibly deep game is already set with modes that by themselves are interesting and well-done.

Crossing my fingers for Friday, and trying to stay optimistic...

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Beast isn't fine. Beast is awesome. My favorite. Learn to laugh. Pinball is fun. Have some fun geez

Beast isn't written by or voiced by a comedian. It's not funny. It's poor acting. Period.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Beast isn't written by or voiced by a comedian. It's not funny. It's poor acting. Period.

Waaaahhhhhhhhhh

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Waaaahhhhhhhhhh

Oh no he didn't!

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Waaaahhhhhhhhhh

Beast voice blows chunks, plain and simple....

#63 11 years ago

Wow. I must say I just unboxed Magneto #123 today and updated the code to 1.22 and I have to say this might be one of the best pins I have recently played. The music is rocken, there are tons of shots, characters have personality, so many options and the animations are awesome. I have played Tron LE and While I love the Tron Theme way better, I think Tron is much more repetitious where X-men has so many options and many more "quests" to go on/do. I love the way it plays now and can't wait to see it get even better. I don't understand how anyone can hate on this pin once they have played the LE. Best Stern to Date Period.

#64 11 years ago

Xmen is ranked high. Great game. I agree hb gamer

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Waaaahhhhhhhhhh

MATHAFACKOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

"These are a few of my favorite things" is intended to be funny, and it is IMHO

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

How about Magneto "Have another BBBBAAAALLLL" omg

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Sure, it might be funny in a Kelsey Grammer type of voice as Beast should have...not this Kermit the Frog with Down's Syndrome sounding a-hole.

#69 11 years ago

Anyone who can make shots in xmen will quickly learn that this game blows minds away. True story.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from HB_GAMER:

I must say I just unboxed Magneto #123 today and updated the code to 1.22 and I have to say this might be one of the best pins I have recently played.

And the countdown to a new AUX board starts....... Now. It will be ok though, everyone is getting there game fixed and this will be something we laugh about in the future. Well maybe not laugh, but not worry about anyway.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Anyone who can make shots in xmen will quickly learn that this game blows minds away. True story.

I like when a shot used to finish a mode also can start another mode...shoot a Cyclops-to-Storm to finish Cyclops - but then that ALSO starts Storm...then you combo Cyclops to Storm again to finish her mode....feels nice!

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sure, it might be funny in a Kelsey Grammer type of voice as Beast should have...not this Kermit the Frog with Down's Syndrome sounding a-hole.

LOL... So your saying you don't like the voice?

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Seriously and they are not that hard. You just need to know the flipper sweet spots and
Need work the upper flipper. The Arcade /blackbird has more uses as well.

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

LOL... So your saying you don't like the voice?

Mebeh.

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

And the countdown to a new AUX board starts....... Now. It will be ok though, everyone is getting there game fixed and this will be something we laugh about in the future. Well maybe not laugh, but not worry about anyway.

I hope by updating to 1.22 and not playing on earlier versions that I will circumvent this. I just need my DMD'S replaced and it is still Awesome

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I like when a shot used to finish a mode also can start another mode...shoot a Cyclops-to-Storm to finish Cyclops - but then that ALSO starts Storm...then you combo Cyclops to Storm again to finish her mode....feels nice!

Dude, totally know what your saying. Combo'ing hero modes is awesome. During those epic games, I'll sometimes look down and have 4-5 hero modes completed in a matter of minutes.

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from HB_GAMER:

Seriously and they are not that hard. You just need to know the flipper sweet spots and
Need work the upper flipper. The Arcade /blackbird has more uses as well.

The upper flipper is my favorite in any 3+ flipper game I've owned/played. Storms shot is so addicting. I do have a pet peeve, and we've requested this (hope stern listened) - and that's the rogue shot triggering magneto lock.....it should go right through if there's no locked balls, the lock is not lit, and/or during multiballs. I disabled magnetos lock before and the rogue shot becomes that much better.

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not written by a comedian?

"I forgot to carry the one"
"these are a few of my favorite things"

Sorry but these lines are totally intended to be funny.

I'll agree the voice acting sucks. And it's totally out of place. This isn't a funny game. But it makes me laugh and I enjoy it. It needs to go but I'll miss it.

#79 11 years ago

Beast nor storm voices and lines don't bother me one bit. What does bother me is the spamming of their call outs over and over in a matter of seconds. Remember the early code juggernaut; "you must remove his helmet....blah blah blah" over and over. That exactly how I feel about storm, beast, and even Phoenix.

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It needs to go but I'll miss it.

OK, maybe I won't murder your face now.....it was close, Mark.

#81 11 years ago

Huh, whaaaat? The code is ready ... well no reason to wait until tomorrow, lets see it! My XMEN is waiting ..... I am so hoping to see deadpool!

Quoted from AkumaZeto:

The software is compiled and ready.....no idea why it has not been upped yet.

#82 11 years ago

So how many times a day is everyone checking Stern's website?

#83 11 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

So how many times a day is everyone checking Stern's website?

Not me! Pinside seems to know the answers before Stern does There must be a lot of moles in the Stern factory

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

There must be a lot of moles in the Stern factory

NDA'S dont stop my guys

#85 11 years ago

So, the million dollar question, have your guys given you any heads up regarding what to expect? Major changes? The core features that have been discussed on the board? I'm trying to manage my expectations.

#86 11 years ago

I'm setting my expectations toward light polishing of current rules + combos upping the multiplier. No new voices or much tinkering with the core rules, certainly not expecting significant additional stacking. Here's to hoping my expectations are off.

#87 11 years ago

The rumors of a follow-up update down the road have me thinking it'll be on the lighter side, too.

#88 11 years ago
Quoted from c3trey:

The rumors of a follow-up update down the road have me thinking it'll be on the lighter side, too.

That would be very disappointing IMO. Stringing this out longer then it has to be creates doubt for some customers on whether to buy future Stern releases. If this is not a significant update I will be pretty hesitant to buy Stern until they get the message. Release pins with near complete code and complete the code in a short amount of time for customers paying thousands for your products.

#89 11 years ago

I don't have my hopes high especially since last years TF POWERpack Xmas present. After seeing what Lyman and Ritchie did for ACDC; I suspect we won't see powerful updates from any games unless they're the leads.

#90 11 years ago

None of the voices bother me. I am really looking forward to the update to bring everything on this game together. What they decide to do with all the voices won't affect me.

#91 11 years ago

It needs significant enhancement to rules.

A few I can think of:

Combos
Stacking modes somehow
Linking hero modes and villian modes
Either make villians easier to complete or give adjustments that allow different levels of difficulty. that was SOP in B/W games.

There are lots of other tweaks and things that people want but the current state is a bare bones ruleset without any real polish.

I've had mine for sale but am waiting/hoping that the update will make me want to keep it longer. A minimal update will likely end me as a future customer of Stern. I was burned once by Spiderman and fell for it again. Shame on me.

Dave

#92 11 years ago

i'm expecting jack shit

#93 11 years ago

A lot of ppl talk about easier villain modes but I don't think that's what villain modes need. Soooo many times do I get one shot away from completing a villain then drain or run out of time. There's is little to no reward for doing villains. Instead of them being easier, a player should not have to repeat the mode if they were one shot away. Mode progression? Perhaps, but why not make it harder to light villain mode and make them a one time mode. Your success vs the villain counts towards dark Phoenix mode. This worked wonderfully for family guy tv modes and there's only 5 modes to do vs xmens 7. I think it needs FGY tv mode style logic incorporated to the villains.

#94 11 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

i'm expecting jack shit

You have mastered enjoying life ; )

#95 11 years ago

So without me running to the 1000 post thread, can someone sum up the aux issue? Haven't experienced it yet on mine that I know.

#96 11 years ago

I love nightcrawler mode most if all, to me it makes the game. However I don't know how is it awarded. I can go like 10 games no NC then I have it back to back games. I'd like it to be frequent than it is now.

#97 11 years ago

Countdown is on boys.

#98 11 years ago

Soooo..........

What if the xmas present update is rev 1.22 that has already been made available on pinside by the pinsider who received it in his replacement xmen machine?

#99 11 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Soooo..........
What if the xmas present update is rev 1.22 that has already been made available on pinside by the pinsider who received it in his replacement xmen machine?

I could see a march on the stern factory with pitchforks.

#100 11 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

So without me running to the 1000 post thread, can someone sum up the aux issue? Haven't experienced it yet on mine that I know.

If I see one more XMEN thread hijacked by AUX board issues I'm going to through my computer down a set of stairs.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-aux-board-issues

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 379 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-news-on-the-x-men-power-pack-due-out-by-xmas/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.