(Topic ID: 33471)

Any news on the X-Men power pack due out by XMas?

By tmort

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 379 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by tsool
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deadpool.jpg
images-1.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg
1111de4.jpg
idiocracy.jpg
1111111_rock-your-ugly-christmas-sweat.jpg
santa.jpg
258-2.jpg
smod2012.jpg
apoc.jpeg
coal-stocking.jpg
205-2.jpg
crazay.jpg
There are 379 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 11 years ago

Stern had announced a power pack update for XMen by Xmas. I searched the site and didn't see any updates, but we are only a week away from Christmas.......anyone hearing anything?
Thanks

#2 11 years ago

The rumor is for Friday.

#3 11 years ago

I was wondering this myself.. can't wait for this update!!! It's still possible to have a $10k Wolverine LE by Christmas!

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

The rumor is for Friday.

That'd be awesome! Let's hope it's true...

#5 11 years ago

Here is hoping I have been checking daily waiting for my great game to get better.

#6 11 years ago

I'll miss the awesome beast voice

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

I was wondering this myself.. can't wait for this update!!! It's still possible to have a $10k Wolverine LE by Christmas!

Its always been worth that.....You just need to sell it with 5k worth of quarters in the coin box.

#8 11 years ago

Wish it would be today/tomorrow.. Fly out thurs at noon till 31st so will have to come here I guess I know if my pin is worth 10k by Xmas.

#9 11 years ago

here's hoping the TF update is friday too

come on stern!@! my kids are gonna be getting lots o' gifts, how bout hookin up dad too.

Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

The rumor is for Friday.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

here's hoping the TF update is friday too
come on stern!@! my kids are gonna be getting lots o' gifts, how bout hookin up dad too.

Here, here!

#11 11 years ago

I think both updates will be out the same time really cant wait to see what is included in these updates. Hoping for the best!

#12 11 years ago

Friday is what I was told and also that there will be another update in January.

Hopefully they go all out with the code in this game so that its full potential is reached.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from tonyoz:

Friday is what I was told and also that there will be another update in January.

.. that has me worried. Not to go negative here, but it sounds like they're releasing a quick fix to keep to their promise of a December release, and then a full-fledged patch a few weeks later.

I'd rather them say there's a delay so I could be wowed right out of the gate TBH

#14 11 years ago

.. that has me worried. Not to go negative here, but it sounds like they're releasing a quick fix to keep to their promise of a December release, and then a full-fledged patch a few weeks later.
I'd rather them say there's a delay so I could be wowed right out of the gate TBH

Noooo no no no. After experiencing TF. There is nothing, NOTHING wrong with multiple projected updates. TF; they said here's a POWERpack and that's all you get. The POWERpack fell short and it took them a year to figure it out. So there's nothing wrong with multiple updates, it's actually better so that they can get players' input moving forward...unlike TF.

And yes, it will be a 10k game by Xmas....next Xmas, when POWERpack II is released. Hehe I kid of course.

#15 11 years ago

I am hoping it is a case of follow up code in January, rather than a 2 part power pack. But either way.....bring on Friday!

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Is this a for sure thing? I read in another post Borg doesn't like the Beast voice either, but that doesn't mean that Marvel has/wants somebody else redoing it. There would also be an additional cost of hiring another actor.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I want to murder your face.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I want to murder your face.

HA, I was going to thumb that up but maybe that's inappropriate.....really made me laugh! Thanks!

#19 11 years ago

the beast lines are par for the course and fine, the beast VOICE sounds bored,unenthused and lame, buzzkillington! storm is actually ok.

#20 11 years ago

I just want them to fix the iceman ramp timing, and make some of the villains a little easier or at least adjustable. Would also like them to stop lighting inlanes for scoop shots and award it for iceman but I doubt that would happen.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from jespo_19:

the beast lines are par for the course and fine, the beast VOICE sounds bored,unenthused and lame, buzzkillington! storm is actually ok.

If they just cut some of her more poorly acted or redundant lines, I think it'd be OK...it's pretty annoying her to say "I AM A QUEEN AND A GODDESS!!!" and then 1 second later "DONT YOU KNOW I'M A GODESS AND A QUEEN!?!?!" lol

It's just funny how two shitty voices bring the whole thing down...the other voices are good to great! I love Juggernaut, Shadow King, Wolverine, Nightcrawler,and especially Iceman when he says "Champions convene..er, uh...no, whatever"

#22 11 years ago

With all the sound bytes they had access to, especially the cartoons from the 90's would have provided tons of lines/voices. When I first saw a video of this machine I thought the voice sucked but its a great game and Im happy to have it....

#23 11 years ago

heh greg..... with all of your sound byte/voice knowledge.....

how would you rate these stern movie themed pins (best to worst)??

AVATAR, TF, IM, LOTR, AVENGERS, SPIDERMAN, BDK, etc??

Quoted from Rarehero:

If they just cut some of her more poorly acted or redundant lines, I think it'd be OK...it's pretty annoying her to say "I AM A QUEEN AND A GODDESS!!!" and then 1 second later "DONT YOU KNOW I'M A GODESS AND A QUEEN!?!?!" lol
It's just funny how two shitty voices bring the whole thing down...the other voices are good to great! I love Juggernaut, Shadow King, Wolverine, Nightcrawler,and especially Iceman when he says "Champions convene..er, uh...no, whatever"

#24 11 years ago

I like all the voices except Beast, which is embarrassingly bad.

Beast's voice, I've always thought, was some guy who works at Stern having a laugh, "Har-har-har, we'll all have an inside joke and see if they notice it's not an voice actor! It'll be our little hi-la-ri-ous joke, fellers!!" (crickets!) And yet somehow it happened.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I just want them to fix the iceman ramp timing, and make some of the villains a little easier or at least adjustable. Would also like them to stop lighting inlanes for scoop shots and award it for iceman but I doubt that would happen.

Somebody told me that the ramp moving back and forth was meant to be that way to distract the shooter from making another shot. I have not noticed however if it was being used to protect an xman or a villian.
And I agree...that Beast voice sucks so bad that its hard to believe they actually used it.

#26 11 years ago

definitely got a point about the redundant storm lines, lots of goddess and queen business goin on we get it storm. at least the lines were well performed! all the other voices are great though, iceman is funny, wolvie sounds badass, magneto sounds commanding all good stuff minus ol hank mccoy

#27 11 years ago

I could care less if they "fix" or change the voices, just give me the option to turn the voices all the way down without effecting the music or sound effects. I feel this way about every pin though. It would be awesome to have separate control over the volume of effects, voice call outs, and music on every game. Someone make this mod Then I could buy a Shrek.... "Somebody once told me" ugg, turn that all the way down!

#28 11 years ago

I just hope they get lots of combos and make the villains easier - way, way too hard.

I don't mind the Beast voice at all.

Some jackpot callouts would be great as well.

I want to keep this game but code is everything.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Some jackpot callouts would be great as well.

Maybe they can use the actor that did Beast to do the jackpot callouts

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Maybe they can use the actor that did Beaat to do the jackpot callouts

Haha, I actually think that would be quite funny.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Maybe they can use the actor that did Beaat to do the jackpot callouts

"Jackpot. Jackpot. You've just earned a jackpot."

#32 11 years ago

Beast doesn't bother me, and I actually like storm though I know I'm in the minority!

She's just as silly/stupid in the cartoons, and just as stupid/repetitive in the comics. You can Google her name along with any of the exact lines from the game and find which comic it was said, who she says it too, and often long bitch sessions about how dumb she is from comic fans on other forums lol

#33 11 years ago

For me, the reaction to X-Men has been the most baffling thing in my pinball hobbying. The fact that people who loved the gameplay of Tron disliked the gameplay of X-Men is bizarre...the fact that people are saying the shots are too hard when they're pretty much just like any other game with far shots in pinball. Everyone knows what good acting and quality voicework sounds like from pretty much every game EVER - the fact that ONE PERSON says "Beast is fine" just blows my f*cking mind.

#34 11 years ago

Waiting for a LE Magneto to be delivered in the next few hours myself. Any tips on software to install to prevent damage to the Aux board?

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The fact that people who loved the gameplay of Tron disliked the gameplay of X-Men is bizarre

I'm one of those people, maybe I can explain. I think X-Men is OK, but the playfield feels too busy/cluttered for me. I think wolvie is too close and I can never seem to get a view or understanding of the upper playfield. In Tron, everything is visible and goals are clearly defined. It has less shots than X-men but it's more fun to play for me. I'm hoping the patch for X-men changes my opinion though because I like the look and theme.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Ninefingers:

I'm one of those people, maybe I can explain. I think X-Men is OK, but the playfield feels too busy/cluttered for me. I think wolvie is too close and I can never seem to get a view or understanding of the upper playfield. In Tron, everything is visible and goals are clearly defined. It has less shots than X-men but it's more fun to play for me. I'm hoping the patch for X-men changes my opinion though because I like the look and theme.

The upper playfield and all its shots are clear and have nothing blocking them. Well, maybe Rogue is blocked by the Storm ramp - but that's exactly the same as the Gem shot being blocked by the right ramp on Tron. But what's to understand about the upper area shots? Xavier- visible. Magneto - visible. Cyclops - visible. Iceman ramp. Visible. Phoenix/orbit - visible. Loop the ball on the left orbit and you can hit Rogue or Storm ramp from the upper flipper. I dunno, again - I feel like I'm crazy here in that I'm seeing a relatively "normal" game that isn't too off the mark from every other game we've ever played in terms of shots, layout, etc. The layout is a lot like Addams Family, actually....but a lot of people here don't like that game despite it's popularity - that could explain some things, I dunno....but again, it's very much like Tron, it's no more cluttered than that game. The Wolverine is psychologically throwing people off. I can make that Beast orbit much more cleanly than any other pops-orbit game I have...so he's not blocking it. I can make the Xavier shot clean. So, he's not blocking that. Those are the two shots on either side of him. *shrug*

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The upper playfield and all its shots are clear and have nothing blocking them. Well, maybe Rogue is blocked by the Storm ramp - but that's exactly the same as the Gem shot being blocked by the right ramp on Tron. But what's to understand about the upper area shots? Xavier- visible. Magneto - visible. Cyclops - visible. Iceman ramp. Visible. Phoenix/orbit - visible. Loop the ball on the left orbit and you can hit Rogue or Storm ramp from the upper flipper. I dunno, again - I feel like I'm crazy here in that I'm seeing a relatively "normal" game that isn't too off the mark from every other game we've ever played in terms of shots, layout, etc. The layout is a lot like Addams Family, actually....but a lot of people here don't like that game despite it's popularity - that could explain some things, I dunno....but again, it's very much like Tron, it's no more cluttered than that game. The Wolverine is psychologically throwing people off. I can make that Beast orbit much more cleanly than any other pops-orbit game I have...so he's not blocking it. I can make the Xavier shot clean. So, he's not blocking that. Those are the two shots on either side of him. *shrug*

I've put about 15 games in and that's the feeling I get when I play it. The layout isn't intuitive to me like it is in Tron. Maybe Tron is simpler in that aspect. Like I said before I like X-Men I just like Tron more. For me, hopefully the update will bring it to the next level.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Ninefingers:

I've put about 15 games in and that's the feeling I get when I play it. The layout isn't intuitive to me like it is in Tron. Maybe Tron is simpler in that aspect. Like I said before I like X-Men I just like Tron more. For me, hopefully the update will bring it to the next level.

I like Tron more, too. Gameplay and flowwise they're very similar. Now, rules on the other hand - Tron's got all the combos programmed in making those flowy shots WORTH something. Right now in Xmen, a few of the modes have combo shots (Storm) ...but it's a bit more methodical and not as "zen" as Tron. That may change bit soon (back to topic) hehe.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The upper playfield and all its shots are clear and have nothing blocking them.

100% agree with what you're saying (plus the rest of you're post), I find all of the shots are clearly visible. When I first got the machine I had problems with the beast shot, but once I moved Wolvie over to the right a bit that shot is not a problem at all. Overall I think I hit the Beast shot just as much as the same shot on Tron (ie. through the pop bumpers on the right side). Hitting the Beast shot and then Storm ramp is sure pretty cool, and then if you can follow it up with an Iceman that's even better. 3 back to back shots and the ball is back on your right flipper before you know it. Fast, furious flow when you can make some of those combos.

Been playing Xmen a lot more lately and I'm really enjoying it (just as much as Tron, the other new machine that we have). Obviously Tron is a lot more polished in the code department, but hopefully Xmen will get some code goodness added on soon!

#40 11 years ago

Really hoping for a Sea of Simulation type mini wizard mode to help complete the incomplete modes. I also feel that Tron gets the advantage flow-wise since Tron is an objective based game and every shot counts towards something. With X-Men being mode based, there's a ton of shots that don't count towards anything while you're in a mode. Just my two cents.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Ninefingers:

I think 15 games says it all. Some games take longer to get, or to like. I have played well over 15 games on many games and still thought I hated the game. I disliked WH2O after 10 or 15 games, but started getting into it the more I played it. I now own a WH20. Im with Rarehero, it blows my mind that this game is not getting the love I feel it deserves. It has everything I asked stern to do, great non photo art, mechanical action, deep rules, non movie theme, shots galore. But then again I'm one of the guys who bought XMEN LE after playing it. XMEN is a hard game, I would say it is much harder than Tron. If the average player plays 20 games on Tron and 20 games on XMEN they will feel much more accomplished on the Tron. That same player has a chance of one day beating Tron. The same can not be said (with current code) for XMEN LE, this may be the underlining problem people have with XMEN without even realizing it. Has anyone beat XMEN with the glass on? Has anyone even come close? I doubt it. One of the other problems with XMEN LE, is that a lot of people bought it without playing it. So you have a difficult game, that takes time to get into, that a bunch of people have bought without playing and then had there AUX board fry.

Flamesuit on for spelling, grammar, and thinking XMEN LE is a great game.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Im with Rarehero, it blows my mind that this game is not getting the love I feel it deserves.

Well, I definitely understand disappointment in the rules/code/bugs & some of the other things like the aux board issues, repositioning Wolverine, e-clipping the spinner, etc. The game DEFINITELY has its issues. The pure layout and playability isn't one of them, IMO. I definitely understand people holding off on buying it at this point. However, since I have one already, I think it's absolutely worth being patient to see how the code ends up. Some people are impatient...but I totally understand that, too! You spend a ton of money on a game and it doesn't work right or play to your satisfaction? I get the pisstivity there, absolutely.

...but anyway, the "meat" has always been there...I think all intentions and efforts by Borg and Waison have been strong.... it just needs some nuance, and hopefully it will get it.

#43 11 years ago

I really like Beast voice, in a "it's so bad it's good" kind of way.

#44 11 years ago

my top 3 favorites are LoTR, FGY, and ACDC (which just took over afm).if stern hits the xmen code just right, it will take one of these spots....yes, its that good.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, I definitely understand disappointment in the rules/code/bugs & some of the other things like the aux board issues, repositioning Wolverine, e-clipping the spinner, etc

This is the reason-

The age demographic for pinball collecting is younger than before and is a market only recently created. Most of the LE's are in homes and not on route, and collectors in any hobby can be very picky. Aux, Wolverine position, and e-clip are all LE problems, and the LE's are in the hands of collectors who don't want to mess with problems on a NIB purchase. The Aux board is a big problem as some people have had multiple boards with long down times.

You are right in that it is a very good game that has a lot going for it. I just think if it did not have these initial problems, it would have appreciated fast. Once the software update comes, and the Aux problem is 100 percent fixed, the game will get its due.

#46 11 years ago

The software is compiled and ready.....no idea why it has not been upped yet.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I really like Beast voice, in a "it's so bad it's good" kind of way.

I'm going to f*ckchop you in the d*ck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This isn't something campy like Rocky Horror, it's f*cking X-Men!!!! There's a legacy and an established tone and Bad-Actor-Awful-Voice Beast has no place in it.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

get a room

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This isn't something campy like Rocky Horror, it's f*cking X-Men!!!! There's a legacy and an established tone and Bad-Actor-Awful-Voice Beast has no place in it.

How do you really feel???

#50 11 years ago

What I meant by the Iceman timing was the fact that the ramp will move before the ball gets off it and into the inlane. Sometimes this directly results in a drain. IMO, the ramp should completely stay put in Iceman mode so you can do back to back ramp shots. At any rate, it should stay put long enough to exit the ramp properly. Its just a pet peeve, I guess.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 379 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-news-on-the-x-men-power-pack-due-out-by-xmas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.