DSC03299 (resized).JPG
DSC03261 (resized).JPG
IMG_6106 (resized).JPG
IMG_2585 (resized).JPG
DSCF5645 (resized).JPG
DSCF5644 (resized).JPG
DSCF5643 (resized).JPG
DSCF5642 (resized).JPG
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Magical Drop 3 (Puzzle Slot) - Could go Puzzle Bobble/Bust a Move but Magical drop 3 is better

Holy. Cow.

I thought I was the only MD3 fan in the universe.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Isn't that one pretty pricey?

Probably. But arcade stuff seems cheap after you're used to pinball prices!

#53 7 years ago

Yeah, I asked the same question several years ago, found me a sweet MVS-4 (ver. 2) and loaded up on carts!

... but, eventually, I couldn't handle an addiction to MVS and pinball so I sold a whack of carts, bought the 161-in-1 and saving 6 games NOT on the multi:

Baseball Stars Professional, League Bowling, Nam-1975, Ninja Combat, Shock Troopers, and Windjammers.

Btw, if you need new light panels, get them from Glow Hut: http://glowhut.com/a6-electro-luminescent-panel-with-leads-and-connector/. They're great.

Neo Geo, Neo Geo ... 4 bright buttons and two joysticks!

Quoted from benheck:

Let's discuss ideal four slot loadouts!
My picks:
Neo Turf Masters (poops all over Golden tee)
Metal Slug
Puzzle Bobble (huge hit with the GF's at parties)
Then maybe a fighting game?

100_9849 (resized).JPG100_9849 (resized).JPG

#54 7 years ago

Puzzle Bobble twice... I like it.

Question: Super Dodge Ball was a glorious title on NES. There's a version for MVS. Is it any good?

#55 7 years ago

For a 6 slot:
Bang Bead/Flip Shot
Bang Bang Buster
Zupapa
Metal Slug/Metal Slug 3
Neo Turf Masters
Puzzle Bobble

#56 7 years ago

Question on the multi carts... do they play nice in a four slot alongside other carts?

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm working on hooking up a couple more, I might actually sell some pins and go with a CPS2 Darksoft, a CPS3 Darksoft, and then a vertical shmup cab. All Astro Cities.

I hate you. =\

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I hate you. =\

I've been in an arcade mood this year. Anyone who saw me at Expo saw my Street Fighter hat, I'm playing more Street Fighter than pinball for sure right now, had to rep it.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've been in an arcade mood this year. Anyone who saw me at Expo saw my Street Fighter hat, I'm playing more Street Fighter than pinball for sure right now, had to rep it.

It's the SMHUPS that get me. We have an arcade chain here, Round 1, that is carrying all kinds of stuff. Lots of candy cabs, only two with SHMUPS, but stuff also like Tetris Grandmaster and all kinds of fighting games. Anyways, my wife watched me play a bit on a few shooters and didn't get it at all how I wasn't dying constantly.

Keep wanting to try Sound Voltex 3 but haven't mustered the gut to do it yet. Always seems kind of dicky to me to occupy a game playing it on super easy to learn it when it's CONSTANTLY taken by people playing at top difficulty. =P

#60 7 years ago

I'm lucky, friend of mine who lives really close by is a serious shmups collector, and he's happy to loan me any PCB I'd like. I have his Death Smiles right now, but it's not installed. This is why I want multiple candies, just too much of a PITA to swap games all the time, rather have a few running at a time. And definitely don't feel like rotating the monitor, need a dedicated vertical cab.

#61 7 years ago

I'd only have room for one cab at most, so it would likely be vertical games. Which is fine by me. Most good non-fighting games are. You just can't find the cabs around here. I'd literally have to talk to a guy I know that owns a retail arcade/pinball shop and have him source me one. =|

I don't even know what I was playing at round 1, frankly. I'm kind of "out of it" when it comes to keeping track of all these things. I couldn't even tell you what the producing company for the two I played was. When I check ebay, and a popular SHMUP PCB is 1800 bucks? That's when I tap out of *really* wanting a candy cab. If I'm gonna be dropping that much on arcade games... frankly? I'm gonna hunt down a Pop'n Music. =)

ebay.com link: Deathsmiles Japan Import Arcade Jamma PCB Cave JPN VideoGameX

#62 7 years ago

When there's no space for the full size uprights, you can take the Neo-Geo X along with you.
Apply the jailbreak and add all your other favorites!

DSCF5642 (resized).JPGDSCF5642 (resized).JPG
DSCF5643 (resized).JPGDSCF5643 (resized).JPG
DSCF5644 (resized).JPGDSCF5644 (resized).JPG
DSCF5645 (resized).JPGDSCF5645 (resized).JPG

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

When I check ebay, and a popular SHMUP PCB is 1800 bucks? That's when I tap out of *really* wanting a candy cab.

Heh. Two things going on there. One, Cave games are like the Medieval Madnesses of the PCB world, they're super collectible and high priced.

Secondly, that guy in Huntington Beach has ridiculous markups, it's like quoting the retail price on a used pin. Sure, you can pay $8k for a STTNG, but only suckers do it.

Plenty of great games for $200 or less out there.

#64 7 years ago

The King of Fighters is prob my favorite video game series of all time. Always wanted that nice wooden Analogue CMVS but could never pull the trigger because the price of the cocobolo wood option (the only one I would want) is pretty hardcore. Definitely a grail tho.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Heh. Two things going on there. One, Cave games are like the Medieval Madnesses of the PCB world, they're super collectible and high priced.
Secondly, that guy in Huntington Beach has ridiculous markups, it's like quoting the retail price on a used pin. Sure, you can pay $8k for a STTNG, but only suckers do it.
Plenty of great games for $200 or less out there.

Right, I know, but when it's the only one on ebay from a simple search...I bet someone out there is paying it, and when they go to resell it, they're not letting it go for 400 bucks. Prices on both Cave games and CPS2 boards has gotten really out of hand, IMO.

#66 7 years ago

Owning the AES system back in the 90's was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Only could afford one game a year (pretty much like pinball machines now) but man it was the shit having the same graphics as the arcade at your house. I am still pissed that Samurai Showdown shipped with the blood and the fatalities censored for the home market. They need to release some of these games with online support.

#67 7 years ago

Thanks guys you just cost me $350 bucks. I just bought a Neo-Geo X.

#68 7 years ago

I've owned my AES since high school. Had a Japanese friend that would write letters to his grandma in Japan and send them over for cheap. I bought his AES with Magician Lord and Nam 1975 and two controllers for $200 in 1990. Would rent games from Gamer's Paradise for $20 for a whole weekend. The only problem is that my AES was from Japan and would convert all carts text into Japanese. I later traded the system out for an American version so all the text was now in English. Only other games I own are Blue's Journey, Super Baseball 2020, Riding Hero, and Word Heroes 2. When I went into the arcade and used my memory card on the MVS, kids and even the employees would look at me funny, lol. At one of the past Chicagoland pinball test locations called Just for Fun, I met Chris Ray. Turns out he was into pinball but also heavily into Neo Geo. At one time he owned everything Neo Geo ever made. He even converted MVS carts onto AES. I remember seeing a brochure for an add on keyboard for the Neo Geo but it never came out.

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Right, I know, but when it's the only one on ebay from a simple search...I bet someone out there is paying it, and when they go to resell it, they're not letting it go for 400 bucks. Prices on both Cave games and CPS2 boards has gotten really out of hand, IMO.

I'm with you guys on the SHMUPS stuff, no candy cabs in my scope either, I have managed to build 2, one vert and one horizontal, both using xbox360's to play the 360 Cave catalog. ProGear is one of my top fav shmups, but dodonpachi hits all the right notes. I instantly fell in love with it when I first played it in mame 15ish years ago... been following all the cave releases ever since. Ddp saidaioujou kicks my a$$, but I somehow find it fun, same with ketsui...

As far as neo geo , the metal slug series in its entirety is pretty rad. About once every year I play through every one of them, I think 2 is my favorite of them though.

IMG_2585 (resized).JPGIMG_2585 (resized).JPG

IMG_6106 (resized).JPGIMG_6106 (resized).JPG

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

As far as neo geo , the metal slug series in its entirety is pretty rad. About once every year I play through every one of them, I think 2 is my favorite of them though.

Yep, love them all but the 2nd is my favorite.

#72 7 years ago

ive got a big red that is probably my sons favorite arcade cab.
thanks
blake

#73 7 years ago

Great thread. I love the Neo Geo. I currently own five of them. I do not really have a good excuse for owning five though.......
-Kyros

#74 7 years ago

My buddy, who owns a small arcade and routes games, purchased a brand new four slot when they were first released. I still recall the games: Art of Fighting, King of Monsters, Super Spy and Riding Hero. Super Spy was probably my favorite out of the bunch at the time. King of Monsters was another arcade favorite from the customers. It wasn't till I encountered another Neo 4 slot at a pizza place in a nearby town. This Neo had Magician Lord, Crossed Swords, Nam 1975 and I cant recall the other. Needless to say, I fell in love w/ Magician Lord (still my favorite).

Fast forward to '98, I picked up a modded Neo AES system. One of the first games I wanted was Magician Lord (paid a pretty penny for it at the time). I probably have around 20 games or so. Most expensive purchase was Metal Slug 3.

I still recall Babbage's had these games on their shelves.

On a side note, I wish there was a Magician Lord 2

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Question on the multi carts... do they play nice in a four slot alongside other carts?

You can only have the 161-1 in one of the 4 slots, they switcher won't switch if you have the 161 cart in.

Good places to buy them are Hollandcomputers.com and JammaParts.net

Both sites are legit and have good pricing.

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

rices on both Cave games and CPS2 boards has gotten really out of hand, IMO.

That's why I went Darksoft for CPS2. Now I have every title, native, no emulation, and don't have to stress the batteries and prices and storage.

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from Kyrosfear:

Great thread. I love the Neo Geo. I currently own five of them. I do not really have a good excuse for owning five though.......
-Kyros

you better have 5 CRTs hanging around too bruh

#78 7 years ago

I traded my dedicated 4 slot Neo Geo and a Nintendo Playchoice for my first pinball machine. I kept my Jockey Grand Prix game. I still have the wiring harness to hook up to a redemption machine. What a fun game at parties to bet the ponies and actually win quarters.

#79 7 years ago

Has anyone changed the monitor out for LCD?

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

You can only have the 161-1 in one of the 4 slots, they switcher won't switch if you have the 161 cart in.

That's not true!

My MVS-4(v2) has the 161 and three other carts (games not on the 161) and works great!

#81 7 years ago

Lack of a vertical screen option killed a lot of the Neo-Geo's appeal for me. True, I'm also a Capcom purist over SNK, so I'm not speaking about their fighting games, and a Konami purist over Irem/Nazca, so I'll take Contra over Metal Slug any day. But the landscape-screen Aero Fighters 2 and 3 seriously aren't a patch on the Strikers 1945 games by Psikyo, the original AF developers; and earlier shooters pale in comparison to anything Toaplan ever did.

On the other hand, the faux-Capcom scrolling brawlers are quite fun, and the competitive puzzle games are where the Nooge shines for me.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Same is true for the big red chunky Taito F3 cart boards. I paid the equivalent of about $50 - $60 each for my Darius Gaiden, Bubble Symphony and Puzzle Bobbles a cluster of years back, now even the 'lower end' F3 games you'll be lucky to score from eBay for three times that.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Good places to buy them are Hollandcomputers.com and JammaParts.net
Both sites are legit and have good pricing.

Welp... that just cost me a hundred bucks, thanks! LOL

Seriously though probably the best price I've ever seen one of those carts at (jammaparts.net)

1 week later
#84 7 years ago
Quoted from Mwardlow:

I traded my dedicated 4 slot Neo Geo and a Nintendo Playchoice for my first pinball machine. I kept my Jockey Grand Prix game. I still have the wiring harness to hook up to a redemption machine. What a fun game at parties to bet the ponies and actually win quarters.

It's not as cool as the actual machine, but the emulation for the Neo Geo games feels spot on to me. I have an Xarcade Tank Stick on a pedestal behind the couch and hooked up to the 60" TV. Still hella fun and saves room for more pins (my living room only holds about 7).

#85 7 years ago

need to get the 4 game card plastics lit up and add a light to the top for the NeoGeo plastic but love this thing.

DSC03261 (resized).JPGDSC03261 (resized).JPG

#86 7 years ago

I opted for my own style in lighting up the 4 slot card and Neo Geo plastic, worked very well.

DSC03299 (resized).JPGDSC03299 (resized).JPG

DSC03293 (resized).JPGDSC03293 (resized).JPG

DSC03295 (resized).JPGDSC03295 (resized).JPG

DSC03297 (resized).JPGDSC03297 (resized).JPG

#87 7 years ago

Someone finally came out with a flash solution for Neo Geo games. Bit pricey, but still very cool:

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/neo-geo-mvs-flash-cartridge-neosd-out-now-a-shipping-next-week.html

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Someone finally came out with a flash solution for Neo Geo games. Bit pricey, but still very cool:
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/neo-geo-mvs-flash-cartridge-neosd-out-now-a-shipping-next-week.html

That is pretty bitchin. Expensive but cool. Might be worth the investment, but don't you love the ritual of opening up those cabinets and yanking out that big ol' cartridge and blowing on it like an NES cart?

#89 7 years ago

Yup, I've got like 20 MVS carts, 2 single cart systems out in bars.

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

omeone finally came out with a flash solution for Neo Geo games. Bit pricey, but still very cool:

I just read that article but I'm a little slow, what is this exactly, I have the 161 in 1 cart how would this benefit me?

12002306_10153699430703086_5879010025694922674_n (resized).jpg12002306_10153699430703086_5879010025694922674_n (resized).jpg

#91 7 years ago

That looks like its for the console system not MVS... so for I think most of us, its worthless. Still super cool idea though.

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

That looks like its for the console system not MVS... so for I think most of us, its worthless. Still super cool idea though.

There is another dude making one that's supposed to be for MVS system, to be released soon. (On phone now, once I'm in office I'll post the link..)

#93 7 years ago

I have a US AES system w/MVS convertor, and a consolized 2 slot MVS system that I take to shows so that people can play it. I have most of the shooters and a few of the other great games like Windjammers, Nightmare in the Dark, all the Metal Slugs, and Puzzle Bobble. Luckily, I bought these all 10 years ago, before the prices got crazy.

#94 7 years ago

We're in the club with the mini; This game was hard to find.

DSCN3782 (resized).JPGDSCN3782 (resized).JPG

#95 7 years ago

omg i want that mini

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

you better have 5 CRTs hanging around too bruh

Oh, believe me, I have many more than five spare monitors.
-Kyros

2 months later
#97 7 years ago

have had my neo geo for about a month, such a great system.

Played neo geo arcades a lot as a kid and love playing mine now.

I have a 2-slot

1 week later
#98 7 years ago

I would love to get a Super Neo 29! A candy cab seems more practical. I'd rather sit than stand.

1 year later
#99 6 years ago

Anybody have an original MVS for sale in the Indy area or within a few hours? I'd like a 4 slot and a mini. Must be original and I hacked, good shape. I've always liked neo geo and think I want to get into them. I don't know much about them and still learning.

2 weeks later
#100 6 years ago

Huge long time collector and fan on Neo Geo.
But I think pinball is taking over.
So... soon I will have to part with all my AES and MVS. I will miss thee. But maybe It will clear up some space in house.
Cuz NG carts and cases are like the same size as pinball machines..lol

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-neo-geo-fans-1/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.