(Topic ID: 163022)

Any mylar experts want to help?

By KornFreak28

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Post_to_ball_gap2_(resized).jpg
    Post_to_ball_gap_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).png
    #1 7 years ago

Hello,

I need a little help here. The protective mylar overlay is lifting off the PF near one of the posts on my AF. Is a very small area but I wish to take care of it and not let it get worse. Looks like the guy who restored this machine maybe left too much mylar around that area and just screwed the post on top of it making the mylar not stick right. The area is very small and I have no idea if it will continue to lift or not. What would be the best way to make this area of mylar stick to the PF again? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#2 7 years ago

If it happened recently, you can warm it with a hair dryer and it might stick back down.

But if it's been a while, you will have to score the Mylar at the edge of the bubble with a Xacto blade, and remove it.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If it happened recently, you can warm it with a hair dryer and it might stick back down.
    But if it's been a while, you will have to score the Mylar at the edge of the bubble with a Xacto blade, and remove it.

That is the thing. I have no idea how long its been like that since I just bought the machine. Should I try the hair dryer first and then remove if the hair dryer doesn't work? If I cut it, will that prevent further lifting? To cut it, do I cut right on top of the PF? Or do I lift and cut?

What about using a thin strip of mylar and sticking one side of the mylar to the edge of the bubble and stick the other end on the wood down in the hole? Sort of like an "anchor" to hold it and prevent it from getting worse? I know it sounds weird but just an idea

Thanks!

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

What about using a thin strip of mylar and sticking one side of the mylar to the edge of the bubble and stick the other end on the wood down in the hole? Sort of like an "anchor" to hold it and prevent it from getting worse? I know it sounds weird but just an idea
    Thanks!

What do you get when you add dirt to mud? You get more mud.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from gutz:

What do you get when you add dirt to mud? You get more mud.

True

#6 7 years ago

Can you guys answer the other question please?

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:That is the thing. I have no idea how long its been like that since I just bought the machine. Should I try the hair dryer first and then remove if the hair dryer doesn't work? If I cut it, will that prevent further lifting?
    To cut it, do I cut right on top of the PF? Or do I lift and cut?
    Thanks!

Try the hair dryer first.
    Then cut it, it should prevent further lifting since you are cutting away the lifted part.
    I would cut away the lifted part instead of cutting down on the playfield , that way you don't chance scoring the playfield by cutting right on top of it.

Don't do the "anchor thing"

Is this a small mylar or a big playfield covering area?

I would consider removing completely. Freeze spray, goo gone, flour, naphtha, or whatever the current popular way to remove is.
    Then you can wax and redo the mylar or not.
    Seems to be the swap kickout area, maybe remove the existing mylar and use a cliffy or a small spot of mylar where the ball lands coming out of the kick out

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from KloggMonkey:

Try the hair dryer first.
    Then cut it, it should prevent further lifting since you are cutting away the lifted part.
    I would cut away the lifted part instead of cutting down on the playfield , that way you don't chance scoring the playfield by cutting right on top of it.
    Don't do the "anchor thing"
    Is this a small mylar or a big playfield covering area?
    I would consider removing completely. Freeze spray, goo gone, flour, naphtha, or whatever the current popular way to remove is.
    Then you can wax and redo the mylar or not.
    Seems to be the swap kickout area, maybe remove the existing mylar and use a cliffy or a small spot of mylar where the ball lands coming out of the kick out

Its a big mylar covering the whole PF. I'll try the dryer first and if that doesn't work, I'll cut it. Its a very small area

#9 7 years ago

Guys, is that a nail or a weird screw on top of the post? I would like to remove the post to have a better grip on the mylar

#10 7 years ago

If I cut it, will that eliminate any chance of the rest of it peeling off?

#11 7 years ago

The post should have a nut under the playfield. Yes. I usually cut out areas like that. Even if it sticks back down it will likely happen again. Ive seen that a lot around posts.

#12 7 years ago

When using the hair dryer.....how long do I heat the mylar? Thanks!

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Major-Havoc:

The post should have a nut under the playfield.

Thanks!!!

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Major-Havoc:

The post should have a nut under the playfield. Yes. I usually cut out areas like that. Even if it sticks back down it will likely happen again. Ive seen that a lot around posts.

Sorry I just saw this post in particular. So, you think you can guide me on how to cut this area? Can you tell me exactly how you do it? Lift and cut?

When you cut areas like that, did the lifting stop there? Did the area next to the cut you made stay put? Thanks!

#15 7 years ago

Based on my picture, do I cut all the way right next to the black border of the flame?

If I lift and cut, is there a risk of lifting even more mylar?

Or should I make the cut right on the PF to prevent more lifting?

I really need to be guided here as I do not want to mess this up.

Thanks!

#16 7 years ago

Based on what I'm sseeing in the pic, I'd simply use an exacto knife and lightly score just a hair past where it's lifting, then just peel it off. Clean any glue residue on the playfield.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Major-Havoc:

Based on what I'm sseeing in the pic, I'd simply use an exacto knife and lightly score just a hair past where it's lifting, then just peel it off. Clean any glue residue on the playfield.

Great. Do I do run the knife on the PF or lift the mylar and cut?

Is it even possible to cut the mylar right there on the PF without damaging the PF?

#18 7 years ago

I will practice on a piece of mylar I have first. But when you cut mylar right on the PF, how do you manage to not damage the PF? What technique do you when you cut mylar still attached to the PF? Thanks

#19 7 years ago

Dont put sharp edge of blade down towards pf. You want to cut upwards away from pf as you dont want to cut into pf. Make sure blade is new and razor sharp and be careful!

#20 7 years ago

When it comes to the hair dryer technique it sounds like you'll remove the post slowly, warm up mylar, straighten/flatten mylar and put post down and dont overtighten..

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

When it comes to the hair dryer technique it sounds like you'll remove the post slowly, warm up mylar, straighten/flatten mylar and put post down and dont overtighten..

Thanks! Very helpful info!!

#22 7 years ago

ts hard to tell but was that area touched up ? looks weird . If not personally I would remove all the mylar and have a perfect like new playfield

#23 7 years ago

Mylar will pucker or wrinkle or bubble under almost any post that gets installed on it. Very hard to avoid wrinkles when tightening post screws. The good news is that the size and curvature of the ball leaves a 'halo' between where the bottom of the ball contacts the playfield and the bottom of the post.

In this picture the 'halo' of wear and grime is clearly visible. The area from arrow point to arrow point is never touched by the ball. So there is no need to put mylar under posts.

Post_to_ball_gap_(resized).jpgPost_to_ball_gap_(resized).jpg

The following pic shows where the mylar can be safely trimmed to; that will protect what needs to be protected with the issue of post-wrinkling completely eliminated. Anywhere in the yellow zone will provide 100% protection for where the ball contacts the field.

Post_to_ball_gap2_(resized).jpgPost_to_ball_gap2_(resized).jpg

With one caveat: over the years, the unmylared areas may discolor or fade differently that the areas sealed under the mylar.

Whole-field overlays are a different cat altogether.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Mylar will pucker or wrinkle or bubble under almost any post that gets installed on it. Very hard to avoid wrinkles when tightening post screws. The good news is that the size and curvature of the ball leaves a 'halo' between where the bottom of the ball contacts the playfield and the bottom of the post.
    In this picture the 'halo' of wear and grime is clearly visible. The area from arrow point to arrow point is never touched by the ball. So there is no need to put mylar under posts.

The following pic shows where the mylar can be safely trimmed to; that will protect what needs to be protected with the issue of post-wrinkling completely eliminated. Anywhere in the yellow zone will provide 100% protection for where the ball contacts the field.

With one caveat: over the years, the unmylared areas may discolor or fade differently that the areas sealed under the mylar.
    Whole-field overlays are a different cat altogether.

Wow!!! Very nice illustration sir!!! Thanks!!! I got my new knife already...I'm just truly scrare to cut it. It was suggested I cut "upwards" but I'm still trying to get used to cutting upwards...is that how you cut an area like that?

#25 7 years ago

It seems like you could remove the post, lift up the mylar some and trim and put down post. I would cut enough mylar so none is underneath the post and you can create that barrier. If you don't cut upwards you can cut sideways. You just don't want the blade / point to damage your playfield or another component near where the mylar will be trimmed. You also don't want to cut yourself etc..

Just take it slow and steady..

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

It seems like you could remove the post, lift up the mylar some and trim and put down post. I would cut enough mylar so none is underneath the post and you can create that barrier. If you don't cut upwards you can cut sideways. You just don't want the blade / point to damage your playfield or another component near where the mylar will be trimmed. You also don't want to cut yourself etc..
    Just take it slow and steady..

Thanks for the info and the courage! I guess there is no turning back. I must do this. Its my beloved AF so yes, I will be careful. I rather cut myself than cut AF.....jk

#27 7 years ago

Usually on something like that I would use a retractable box blade. Click it all the way out, so it is flexible. then press the blade flat onto the field and slowly "shave off" the puckered part. I can't really tell from your pic how much has wrinkled or puckered.

If it doesn't affect the ball motion I would be tempted to just leave it alone. It doesn't look that bad in the pic.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Usually on something like that I would use a retractable box blade. Click it all the way out, so it is flexible. then press the blade flat onto the field and slowly "shave off" the puckered part. I can't really tell from your pic how much has wrinkled or puckered.
    If it doesn't affect the ball motion I would be tempted to just leave it alone. It doesn't look that bad in the pic.

It is actually not that bad and doesn't affect play at all. If I leave it alone, is it possible that more and more can peel? Or pretty much no more peeling even if I leave it alone? I just don't know if It will continue to peel more and more.

I do not have plans to remove the whole mylar and reinstall. That is the only very tiny area that needs attention. The rest of the mylar is perfect. Wnat do you think? Thanks!

#29 7 years ago

Maybe not worth the risk. If the mylar has been down for a while, it's probably done all the peeling or whatever it's gonna do. Loosening and re-tightening anything touching the mylar may wrinkle it further.

What have you got to lose if you wait for a while? Just check on it every month and if it seems to still be progressing, trim it then. If it stays unchanged, no need to risk damage or an accidentally ugly trim line...or worse.

Be patient, Grasshopper...

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Maybe not worth the risk. If the mylar has been down for a while, it's probably done all the peeling or whatever it's gonna do. Loosening and re-tightening anything touching the mylar may wrinkle it further.
    What have you got to lose if you wait for a while? Just check on it every month and if it seems to still be progressing, trim it then. If it stays unchanged, no need to risk damage or an accidentally ugly trim line...or worse.
    Be patient, Grasshopper...

I will take your advise sir. Thanks!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-mylar-experts-want-to-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.