Captura de pantalla_20201102-121213 (resized).png
Captura de pantalla_20201102-120857 (resized).png
16042055130491737517784 (resized).jpg
IMG-20201027-WA0008 (resized).jpg
IMG-20201027-WA0009 (resized).jpg
IMG-20201027-WA0012 (resized).jpg
IMG-20201027-WA0013 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

How I was always browsing on my machine, I saw that the card has some unused slots, are you so that they can be used? What can I add there?

IMG-20201027-WA0008 (resized).jpgIMG-20201027-WA0008 (resized).jpgIMG-20201027-WA0009 (resized).jpgIMG-20201027-WA0009 (resized).jpgIMG-20201027-WA0012 (resized).jpgIMG-20201027-WA0012 (resized).jpgIMG-20201027-WA0013 (resized).jpgIMG-20201027-WA0013 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Hi,

First of all, you should install a remote battery socket, to prevent battery leaking on your CPU.

These boards where designed for a generation of machines. The components effectively soldered on the board depend on the game.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxon:

I saw that the card has some unused slots, What can I add there?

Plenty of things that will make the game not work like it used to. What do you desire?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxon:

What can I add there?

Nothing.

As the PCB was used in different games, components were added when they were needed, and removed when they weren't. There was no sense in spending money on populating components on the PCB that weren't going to be used. PCBs were also designed with later expansion in mind, but this also was not always put to use. This was a fairly common technique since redesigning and manufacturing a new PCB layout was expensive.

On System 11 board, this is very obvious. As the system 11 game system was developed and sound technology changed, the sound section was slowly moved off the MPU and onto its own separate board, and the space on the MPU that was originally used to drive sound was then left unpopulated.

Interesting note: the System 7 MPU board was also used in shuffle alley games, and different components are present/missing compared to when this type of board is used in pinball machines.

#5 3 years ago

really all have very interesting information, I thank you for orient myself correctly about these modifications, I will leave it like that for the moment, I will change the batteries for some of Button And what happens to the card if I leave them like this?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxon:

And what happens to the card if I leave them like this?

If and when the batteries leak, they will damage the board and can eventually prevent it from working.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Si las baterías tienen fugas, dañarán la placa y eventualmente pueden impedir que funcione.

They do not leak, I just put them in a few weeks ago, I will change them for button ones

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

If and when the batteries leak, they will damage the board and can eventually prevent it from working.

You really need to go to www.pinwiki.com and read about Williams System 7 games. Lots of good information for new pinball owners. Also has links to vendors for parts and mods.
Mike

#9 3 years ago

packie1 I was checking the information and it is very complete, the only thing I did not find is what these connectors are for, according to me there is a mixer only that I do not know what it will do,I found a 3.6 volt battery that is solderable, if I put it on my card, will it still have the same effect or does the machine necessarily need that voltage of 4.5?

16042055130491737517784 (resized).jpg16042055130491737517784 (resized).jpg
#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxon:

packie1 I was checking the information and it is very complete, the only thing I did not find is what these connectors are for, according to me there is a mixer only that I do not know what it will do,I found a 3.6 volt battery that is solderable, if I put it on my card, will it still have the same effect or does the machine necessarily need that voltage of 4.5?
[quoted image]

See this website. Offers different battery replacement options and directions.
Mike

https://homepinballrepair.com/how-to-get-rid-of-those-aa-batteries-no-more-ruined-circuit-boards/

#11 3 years ago

@ packie1 the information is very good although they do not have leaks and if it is sure I will change them, but what is the use of putting mixers in the lower left corner of the mpu

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxon:

the information is very good although they do not have leaks and if it is sure I will change them

The point is to prevent leaks from being a problem before they happen. A leaking battery can easily destroy a board when you're not paying attention to it.

Quoted from Waxon:

but what is the use of putting mixers in the lower left corner of the mpu

I don't understand what you're asking.

#13 3 years ago

ForceFlow I know I do not explain very well what we say, what I mean is that in this part of the card you can add this type of dip switches, what will they serve there for?

Captura de pantalla_20201102-120857 (resized).pngCaptura de pantalla_20201102-120857 (resized).pngCaptura de pantalla_20201102-121213 (resized).pngCaptura de pantalla_20201102-121213 (resized).png
#14 3 years ago

Nothing is missing from that board. You do no need to add anything.

In your game, software sets the game options, not dip switches.

Why do you insist on trying to add unnecessary components to the MPU?

#15 3 years ago

I really don't see a problem keeping double A batteries in your MPU if you own the game and play it all the time. In that case you would be checking them pretty regularly and not leaving them sit unattended for years on end. The batteries in your TV remote don't end up leaking do they?

#16 3 years ago

ForceFlow I'm sorry, it was just out of curiosity

#17 3 years ago

DGMartin Yes I am the owner of the machine, I have just modified the battery holder, I plan to keep the AA I have just made a modification that serves to connect and disconnect them at will It will be when something needs to be replaced

1604382340238715622571 (resized).jpg1604382340238715622571 (resized).jpg

#18 3 years ago

I will also put this type of connectors to the battery holder, I will put it here, although I will put a new one on it, I had to modify it and it no longer works because I put it short, I'll buy some sticker to stop it there

16043825068271972021440 (resized).jpg16043825068271972021440 (resized).jpg
#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxon:

ForceFlow I'm sorry, it was just out of curiosity

I get it--I just don't want to see you cause damage while you're tinkering with things.

Quoted from Waxon:

I will also put this type of connectors to the battery holder, I will put it here, although I will put a new one on it, I had to modify it and it no longer works because I put it short, I'll buy some sticker to stop it there
[quoted image]

It's usually not a good idea to have exposed metal like that which could inadvertently cause an electrical short.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxon:

I know I do not explain very well what we say, what I mean is that in this part of the card you can add this type of dip switches, what will they serve there for?

It would be for backwards compatibility for system 3 games if you wanted to put a system 7 board into them, to set options.

It's also used on system 6 to reset the ram to factory settings, if you didn't just take the batteries out to do so instead.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I get it--I just don't want to see you cause damage while you're tinkering with things.

It's usually not a good idea to have exposed metal like that which could inadvertently cause an electrical short.

Totally agree on the battery job. Take your time. Do it safely. Do it right. Nothing worse than reworking something and causing more problems.
Mike

#22 3 years ago

If I know that this can cause a short, it is only the image of what the idea that I have will be like, I will not connect the cables yet and obviously I will insulate them very well, the condition of the cables will be better notice when I put their connectors on, I have not been able to buy the parts yet, maybe today I will or for the moment the machine will remain off, I don't want to damage anything

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Lo entiendo, simplemente no quiero verte causar daño mientras estás jugando con las cosas.

Por lo general, no es una buena idea tener un metal expuesto como ese que podría causar inadvertidamente un cortocircuito eléctrico.

If I was also insisting a lot, I am sorry for that, as I said the batteries are not yet placed as I want, they will be well insulated and above all safe

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

Totalmente de acuerdo con el trabajo de la batería. Tome su tiempo. Hágalo de forma segura. Hazlo bien. Nada peor que reelaborar algo y causar más problemas.
Miguel

Indeed it is, I was not going to finish it in a while, I have to get more connectors, I was planning to place the battery holder with a sticker that holds it perfectly, When I finish putting everything in its place I will send you a photo of how I finished doing it, I hope you will help me verify that everything is fine and that there is no risk

#25 3 years ago

As you recommended me, I just made the modification and I finished very well, the cable has no risk of short circuit, or anything like that, now I can connect and disconnect the batteries when I want

IMG_20201104_231739 (resized).jpgIMG_20201104_231739 (resized).jpgIMG_20201104_231748 (resized).jpgIMG_20201104_231748 (resized).jpg
#26 3 years ago

What's the foil for in the last battery slot? It should be a diode to prevent the board from charging the batteries.
Mike

#27 3 years ago

There should already be a blocking diode on williams boards. Looks like the foil becomes a dummy battery..... not the way I would have done this at all.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

There should already be a blocking diode on williams boards. Looks like the foil becomes a dummy battery..... not the way I would have done this at all.

Again:

Quoted from ForceFlow:

It would be better to use a jumper wire instead when a blocking diode isn't needed--not aluminum foil.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

¿Para qué sirve la lámina en la última ranura de la batería? Debe ser un diodo para evitar que la placa cargue las baterías.
Miguel

It is a piece of aluminum, as the battery holder is designed to hold 4 AA, I needed a bridge to give me 4.5 volts, where would the diode be placed and what would it be used for?

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Ya debería haber un diodo de bloqueo en los tableros de Williams. Parece que la lámina se convierte en una batería ficticia ... no de la forma en que lo hubiera hecho en absoluto.

Indeed, it is a false battery, since 4 batteries need to be installed for it to work, but I know that if I put the 4 on it, it would give me extra voltage, so I only put 3 and with a sheet, The good thing is that it just gives me 4.5 volts, there is no risk of anything, everything is insured

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxon:

It is a piece of aluminum, as the battery holder is designed to hold 4 AA, I needed a bridge to give me 4.5 volts, where would the diode be placed and what would it be used for?

Secure the jumper wire or diode to the terminal contacts, then solder it.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Again:

It would be better to use a jumper wire instead when a blocking diode isn't needed--not aluminum foil.

If in fact I used that sheet to do the bridging, I know it looks something wrong there, but I am going to change it for a bridging so that it looks and works better

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Secure the jumper wire or diode to the terminal contacts, then solder it.

If I'm going to do that later, I just need to get solder, then the diode if I put it on or not?

#34 3 years ago

No need to put in a diode. There is already one in the MPU board doing the job.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-more-modifications and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.