(Topic ID: 230845)

Any Miami Beach owner willing to perform a few continuity tests?

By BlackCatBone

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by bingopodcast
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sb-miami_beach-B-571-2-score-feature_proportioning (resized).png
score_unit (resized).png
Miami Beach Score Unit with corrections based on Frans' testing December 2018 (resized).png
Jumper wire on Miami Beach spotting disc.  I took this photo for Phil Hooper. (resized).jpg
Miami Beach Spotting Disc v2 with corrections by Frans - December 2018 (resized).png
02 Miami Beach Score Unit diagram from user manual - annotated (resized).png
06 Compressed Full shot of Miami Beach score disc from wire side.  CONNECTIONS AFTER PROPOSED FIXES (resized).jpg
03 Compressed Full shot of Miami Beach score disc from wire side.  OBSERVED MODIFICATIONS (resized).jpg
04 Compressed Full shot of Miami Beach score disc from wire side.  CURRENT CONNECTIONS (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

My Miami Beach has multiple modifications to its score disc wiring. The mods involve score disc lugs related to game proportioning (connections between score disc and mixer #2) and score steps (connections between score disc and spotting disc). I believe I know how to correct most of the mods, but there are several that I can’t figure out. It doesn’t help that the 43-3 wire shown in the user manual doesn’t appear on the schematic. If someone has got a Miami Beach and would be willing to do a few continuity checks to confirm my guesses and solve several puzzles, it would be a huge favor.

Thanks.

1 week later
#2 1 year ago

john leigh made diagrams for the mixers, spotting disc and reflex unit that are posted on http://bingo.cdyn.com/machines/bally/miami_beach/.

note on the spotting disc diagram there are jumpers used on the wire lugs. See the note on the diagram. If you have the unit apart and are able to tell which rivets each lug in a jumpered set go to, please update the diagram and send it to me for posting. I think there's other jumpered rivet issues - like 93-3 and 63-4 were jumpered on john's machine at the score disc and they are all labelled 21 on the diagram. Some of the 21's likely should be 25. Ditto with lugs 23/24.

if that's not what you need, I think the pacific pinball museum has a Miami beach head that I can grab and resolve this...it may be a yacht club tho. I'll look next time I go there.

wire 43-3 isn't on mixer 2 - they ran out of room. Per the schem, the rivet the manual shows as wire 43-3 is connected to the adjacent 54-6.

#3 1 year ago

below is more info from john. If you have the same changes to your score disc, either bally did it or you guys got machines from the same hacker. Some of the wire idents and notes aren't right tho. For example, the wire labelled 43-3 on the pics doesn't look green with a yellow tracer and john thinks it's really 54-6.

03 Compressed Full shot of Miami Beach score disc from wire side. OBSERVED MODIFICATIONS (resized).jpg04 Compressed Full shot of Miami Beach score disc from wire side. CURRENT CONNECTIONS (resized).jpg06 Compressed Full shot of Miami Beach score disc from wire side. CONNECTIONS AFTER PROPOSED FIXES (resized).jpg

02 Miami Beach Score Unit diagram from user manual - annotated (resized).png
#4 1 year ago

Hey Phil, it’s John here. Frans Pilger was nice enough to do a series of continuity tests on his Miami Beach’s score disc to confirm connections between the score disc, mixer #2 and the spotting disc. He discovered several errors in the spotting disc diagram on your web site. My Miami Beach has a number of operator modifications to the score disc wiring, so Frans’ results are more believable than my earlier data. The following images show the corrections in green. The upshot is that four lugs on the spotting disc should have their labeling changed. Both our games have a jumper between lug #20 and #21 on the spotting disc. Frans states that his jumper looks factory original. Mine, on the other hand, looks like a homemade addition (see lower image for the wire looping around the corner by the spotting disc label). The #20 lug is wired to only a few rivets, so adding a jumper from #21 to #20 would make the game slightly more liberal. (Would Bally really provide such an “expansion” capability for operators worried that their game was too tight? Beats me.)

A couple more points: The 54-6 lug on the score disc top row between 10-5 and 60-2 is a documentation error on Bally’s part. That lug is not connected to any rivet on the score disc, and there is no wire connecting to the lug. The real 54-6 is next to the red dot labeled “8” on the score disc diagram. Also, the score disc 43-3 wire does not appear in the schematic. Frans said he’ll take another crack at figuring out what 43-3 connects to after he finishes a few ongoing projects in his shop.

Let me know if this is as clear as mud and I’ll try to make it better.

Miami Beach Spotting Disc v2 with corrections by Frans - December 2018 (resized).pngJumper wire on Miami Beach spotting disc. I took this photo for Phil Hooper. (resized).jpgMiami Beach Score Unit with corrections based on Frans' testing December 2018 (resized).png
#5 1 year ago

great! I updated the spotting disc diagram. For the score unit, see items in yellow below.

the schem has no wire 43-3 and implies the rivet with 43-3 on it is tied to 54-6. I vaguely recall you found that there is still a 43-3 wire on the score unit and it ends unconnected around the mixer area.

having wire 43-3 in the harness and making a production change to not use would not be unusual, but if they changed the spaghetti wiring on the score disc and still connected the unused 43-3 wire, that seems odd.

the schem does have font differences which usually means it was updated. Whether an earlier schem made it out of the factory … who knows. They didn't always put notes on the schem for "effective at serial xxx".

the head at the pinball museum is a yacht club, so I'm no help here.

score_unit (resized).png
1 month later
#6 1 year ago

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of restoring a Miami Beach. This machine has an 'extra' proportioning plug attached to the upper left hand side of the head, as you look in from the back door. I believe there are a few machines that have this. If you look at some of the photos on Phil Hooper's site, you can just about make out the extra proportioning plug.

I have gone through the wiring on this plug, part of which lead directly between the score disc and mixer#2 and partly between the spotting disc and the score disc. I have redrawn those parts of the schematic to show the adjustment plug and if anyone is interested I am happy to show them. Alternatively, I can email the drawings to Phil so that he can add them to his website.

Does that help anyone ?

Chris H

#7 1 year ago

interesting. What is your game serial number and does the score unit agree with the diagram in the manual?

if you game does agree with the manual, that implies there should be an earlier revision schematic out there someplace and the info from john leigh's machine is for a later version of the game.

#8 1 year ago

Hi Phil,

I'll have a check over the score unit wiring at the weekend and let you know what I find. In the mean time, I'll get Dave to email the adjustment plug drawings to you. I'll also check on machine numbers and let you know.

Chris H.

7 months later
#9 11 months ago

Danny Leach saw something on an ebay ad for miami beach documentation and asked me if I had seen it. Nope. The seller joe at chamelion collectibles was nice enough to split the document from the listing and sell it to me separately.

sb-miami_beach-B-571-2-score-feature_proportioning (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 16.95
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 9.95
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
€ 30.00
Playfield - Plastics
Creo Pinball
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 1,200.00
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
UpKick Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside