Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by sd_tom
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would anyone be interested in harnesses?”

• No 5 votes
      25%
    • Yes, keep IDC 2 votes
      10%
    • Yes, improve connectors 13 votes
      65%

(20 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 11 years ago

So a coworker of mine is thinking of starting a side project making wiring harnesses for old cars and I mentioned to him that pinball harnesses might be a cool thing as well. However, thinking back I'm not sure maybe it would be worth it, would that many folks be interested in fresh harness. I also showed him what i think are the crappy IDC connectors on mine and seems like he could improve that (though, do people appreciate the easy serviceability?.. Personally it seems IDC more problem than anything)

Also what would people want for the solder points at solenoids? Terminals or just tinned?

Note: this may not go anywhere just wondering.. First I'm trying to turn him into a pinhead cause he wants to get a cheap sample game that if he f's up no big deal. I think he's going to realize what a pain in ass it is that his interest may wain quickly.

#2 11 years ago

I doubt that there is a big enough market to make it worthwhile. Every pin model has a different harness.

If I was to buy a replacement wiring harness, I would want it to match the original. Including connector type (yes IDC) and wire colors/stripes.

#3 11 years ago

Yeah am starting to think that too.. Given forensics/ labor to recreate a set vs maybe 20-50 people interested enough to buy one in the entire world. it might not work out too well for him. Unless maybe it was MM or something where you can build one for parts cheaper than used at this point.

#4 11 years ago

I bet the "MM build from scratch" guys would want one. Though that would be the death knell for NBAFB.

#5 11 years ago

LOL- Yea, I can't wait until NBAFB becaomes the next $20,000 game because there are only 3 of them left....

#6 11 years ago

I think there is a market for DIY build kits for the WMS/Bally titles. i don't understand why Planetary isn't jumping on this. manufacture the PF parts and bundle the kits without incurring the labor, overhead, costs and hassle of assembling and supporting fully built pins.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I bet the "MM build from scratch" guys would want one

The harness is really all you need for MM... There has to be limitations or cost issues or it would have been done so far.

#8 11 years ago

Well, I would certainly buy AFM, MM, and MB harnesses if they are less than $250 each.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

The harness is really all you need for MM... There has to be limitations or cost issues or it would have been done so far.

There have been MM harnesses sold recently for ~$1000 from Australia... so they exist and are being remade (or at least have been remade at some point).

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from kismetnumber1:

LOL- Yea, I can't wait until NBAFB ...there are only 3 of them left....

That would not be a bad thing.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from kismetnumber1:

LOL- Yea, I can't wait until NBAFB becaomes the next $20,000 game because there are only 3 of them left....

seriously, Lets stop gutting perfectly good NBAFB for MM conversions. Play the pinball arcade digital version of MM.

#12 11 years ago

There would be a market for those "big money" restored games.

You would have to judge the market by taking a small deposit (let's say $20) and then see how many spools of wire you have to order.

The hardcore guys will want IDC, the performance guys will want crimped.

Watch on Ebay for a Pneumatic Crimper (assuming your guy does not already have one) for fast assembly.

Watch for a nice Solder Pot for tinning ends.

Finally, a label maker could make things go 10x faster if the end user did not have to look up the connections like the pops. Once you are done, cut all the labels off.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

Yeah am starting to think that too.. Given forensics/ labor to recreate a set vs maybe 20-50 people interested enough to buy one in the entire world. it might not work out too well for him. Unless maybe it was MM or something where you can build one for parts cheaper than used at this point.

I'll bet you could sell 500 MM harnesses. Would you rather sink $5000 to ?? into a NIB Stern/JJP or an MM? Sign me up for a MM harness. I'll statr collecting the parts and get a cabinet from Doug Huse!

#14 11 years ago

I'm in for a MM and AFM!!!

#15 11 years ago

Jim Shird can make any of these harnesses identical to original.

He's made harnesses for collectors and provided some short harnesses and parts I've needed. He was involved with making them when WMS was in business.

#16 11 years ago

Yes, would be interested however as with all of these polls, pricepoint will have an impact on demand.

#17 11 years ago

It's annoying work but it's really not hard to make your own harness. I wonder why people spend tons on a harness instead of doing the grunt work? I would say make full harnesses for common architectures first and see the demand, I would bet people would pay. Personally I think watching TV with spools of wire and molex crimps sounds downright relaxing. Like knitting.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Jim Shird can make any of these harnesses identical to original.
    He's made harnesses for collectors and provided some short harnesses and parts I've needed. He was involved with making them when WMS was in business.

Any idea of the cost? Thank you in advance...

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Bischt:

Personally I think watching TV with spools of wire and molex crimps sounds downright relaxing. Like knitting.

I'm not exactly making full harnesses, but while making the cables for my LED OCD kits, I tried this; sitting on the couch crimping. It wasn't bad until after about 800 crimps my wrist started hurting. I have since went IDC, and I'm looking for somewhere to outsource them. PM sent.

#20 11 years ago

I have custom (non-pinball) wiring harnesses made now for my business to our specifications. Would just need a sample harness to have them made. Likely need to do these at about twenty sets at a time to get a decent price.

I could guess on price based upon what we do, but I see reasons it could be very costly and also why it could be cheaper. Expensive as there is alot to it. Cheaper because all the connectors are simple.

If there is real demand I can very likely get these made professionally on a short run basis. I have alot of experience manufacturing many different kinds of parts for niche market (not pinball), and access to many types of suppliers we work with to make components for us. But the question on doing any type of this on a production basis is whether the demand is there to justify the time and cost involved - struggle with that one all the time. Sometimes it is a no-brainer, but that is usually the exception.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from John_NY:

I could guess on price based upon what we do, but I see reasons it could be very costly and also why it could be cheaper. Expensive as there is alot to it. Cheaper because all the connectors are simple.

There is less than $100 in materials, you just have to figure out your labor and a price that has a fair profit in it.

I've repaired games where someone has cut all the wires rather than just unplugging the connectors - not fun, but certainly doable.

#22 11 years ago

Ok will forward the thread and the pm I got about mod harnesses to him this week

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-market-for-full-harnesses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.