(Topic ID: 128670)

Any love out there for Bally's 1972 Nip-It?

By embryonjohn

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by pinwiztom
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nipit1.JPG
20140821_190806.jpg
mork diner.jpg
fonz-pinball-420.jpg
image-995.jpg
image-393.jpg
image-450.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I lucked into a very low-use (20G plays) Nip-It and can't get over the features:
2 ball (em) multi!
Zipper Flippers
Left kicker lane
2 catch saucers
3 gates
4 lightable pops
Out lane save
Cool art & color
And of course the epic Balligator

I don't see it talked about on the forum much and was wondering if it's just me, or is this table a sleeper? Go ahead and put a Fireball backglass on it and aside from the spinner and opening skill shot, they're very, very similar. I'm just wicked (I'm from Boston) impressed. I have a 72 Fireball and can't help but say Bally made one heck of a deck during that time period.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-450.jpgimage-450.jpg image-393.jpgimage-393.jpg image-995.jpgimage-995.jpg
#3 8 years ago

yes great game along with 4 million bc and Fireball I have had all three for like almost 35 years

#4 8 years ago

Played it at the Allentown show and enjoyed it..

#5 8 years ago

That looks really clean. Never played one but it looks like a keeper. Nice.......

#6 8 years ago

Been looking for one to play for awhile now, seems like a great pin and I may want to own one.

#8 8 years ago

Not a sleeper at all. Not easy to find, and decent ones demand a good amount of cash

#9 8 years ago

The Fonz and the rest of the gang dig it. So much so they went 15 years into the future to get one.
fonz-pinball-420.jpgfonz-pinball-420.jpg

#10 8 years ago

Nip-it is awesome. Multiball, zipper flippers and a player controlled toy. For points focus on getting it through the gate on the left, it's essentially 3k, 1k for it, then it sends it to gator for 1k, then bonus. Yours is in outstanding shape, nice find.

If you like nip-it, find a capersville. It's even better. 4 mil b.c. and fireball of course round out the great EM multiballs.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The Fonz and the rest of the gang dig it. So much so they went 15 years into the future to get one.

I guess this guy helped make it happen for the Fonz and the gang.

Ken

mork diner.jpgmork diner.jpg
#12 8 years ago

Gotta mention the perspective on the backglass art though. MC Escher has nothin' on this.

I invite you to study the positions in the water of the squirting fish and fishing line (wrapped around the gator's tail) in relation to the two guys they are interacting with. Great game, but this bg art hurts my brain a little more each time I see it.

#13 8 years ago

20140821_190806.jpg20140821_190806.jpg great game ,took this one out of storage cabinet was in pieces ! Termites ate the back n bottom. Fireball & 4 mil were under garbage in a house in SF, there were rats everywhere ! All restored and played regularly .Funny thing is they all have beautiful playfields and backglasses.love the Ballys by far the best artwork you will ever see

#14 8 years ago

Nip-It was my first pinball machine to own.
Had it for 20 something years.
Problem with it is after you get the flippers closed you can just keep putting the ball in the left gate, let it autofire to the gator grabber, catch it with the flipper and repeat forever.
We could roll the score multiple times per game just doing that one strategy.
But it is a gorgeous game.

#15 8 years ago

Its a great game that was designed in 1972 and put into production in July of 1973. Most of the EM love on pinside is for Gottlieb Wedgeheads and Gottlieb machines in general. It is refreshing to see some love for Bally. One of these days I plan to own a Nip-It and a 4 Million BC to go along with my Fireball.

nipit1.JPGnipit1.JPG
#16 8 years ago

Nip It is one of the greatests em with zippers
I might like it even more than fireball
not easy to find, not cheap either, but i kinda like everything in it
2 ball multi is enough, 3ball on fireball never lasts due to the spinning disc and you cant keep track of the balls

I dunno, grabing the ball in the gator always gives that wow factor for me

plus you got the pun: Bally...gator.

watelse dya want eh ?

#17 8 years ago

Maybe it's just me, but I've never seen multi ball as that big a deal.

To me, pinball is about controlling the ball and making shots. In multiball, you're just flipping at balls as they come down to the flippers. It takes away from a game, at least to me, rather than adding to it.

But it must just be me, since it seems that if a modern game doesn't have it, it would be considered a dud.

#18 8 years ago

Multiball still puts a crooked smile on my face everytime

#19 8 years ago

Now I might have to pull mine from storage, it is a fun game, but unfortunately mine does not have the Ball-o-gator feature, that was an option.
If anyone has one to sell, (the Ball-o-gator) please PM me.

Thanks,
Walt

#20 8 years ago

Fun game. I have on that is currently in storage. Maybe I'll set it up again this winter when I get a chance.

#22 8 years ago

The auctioneer calls it the first multiball machine...lol

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from waltrr:

but unfortunately mine does not have the Ball-o-gator feature, that was an option.

Really?
I think you may be mistaken, or you are confusing the prototype Balligator system
and the production Bally gator grabber.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1680&picno=52845

If yours truly does not have a apparatus to "grab" the ball,
then take photos and send to ipdb.org

Never really fell in love with Nip-it.
I like the colorful cartoony artwork
but game play left me wanting more.

#24 8 years ago

My first pin (owned) was Nip-It. I loved that game!

Brad

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Really?
I think you may be mistaken, or you are confusing the prototype Balligator system
and the production Bally gator grabber.
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1680&picno=52845
If yours truly does not have a apparatus to "grab" the ball,
then take photos and send to ipdb.org
Never really fell in love with Nip-it.
I like the colorful cartoony artwork
but game play left me wanting more.

I am definitely not mistaken, my machine doesn't have the hole for the 3rd flipper button drilled either.

#26 8 years ago

As far as I know all the production games had the balligator. I could be mistaken or It may be a prototype game. Or even better it could be the one they used in happy days, and they left it out to save cost when they donated it to the show!

#27 8 years ago

I'll have to take a pic or two and post them. I've had the machine for aprox 15 years and have always hoped to find one to add, but never did.

#28 8 years ago

its a great game

and i've always thought zipper flippers were pretty cool

#29 8 years ago

My first machine, I think I was 6yo. I had a blast with it and changed my life forever I guess?

#30 8 years ago

I'm really interested in seeing a photo of that non-reptilian nip it with one button. We're on to something here

#31 8 years ago

I bought and restored one not too long back... it's an interesting game. Multi-ball feature is very cool, and despite other comments, you can control it somewhat - especially the back flip shot when the flips are closed; leads to some very interesting games. Not a big fan of the art, and if I had to pick, I'd without a doubt pick 4Million BC over Nip It and Fireball multiball games - if picking purely on a "game-play" basis.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from waltrr:

I am definitely not mistaken, my machine doesn't have the hole for the 3rd flipper button drilled either.

Quoted from waltrr:

I'll have to take a pic or two and post them. I've had the machine for aprox 15 years and have always hoped to find one to add, but never did.

Quoted from embryonjohn:

I'm really interested in seeing a photo of that non-reptilian nip it with one button. We're on to something here

So instead of any type of gator grabber,
is that area just open for the ball to naturally karom into the side alley by chance.
Never seen one of those before.
Definitely takes pics of the missing grabber button
and what that right alley looks like
with the plastic mold covering in place and removed,
and post here and send to ipdg.org.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-love-out-there-for-ballys-1972-nip-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.