(Topic ID: 356570)

Any long time cigarette smokers, that stopped?

By BubbaPin

64 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 60 days ago by fnosm
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240520_054929_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_0571 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7152 (resized).jpeg
    #1 64 days ago

Hi all, I'm 32 and have been smoking since I was 15. I have been smoking a pack to 2 packs a day for ten years straight.

I'm just curious, if you have been able to stop. What did you do? And what do ya do to keep up with it.

#2 64 days ago

Imo it’s too fookin hard to go cold turkey. Nicotine gum made it possible for me. I think the gum comes with a suggested schedule of gradually cutting down smoking and then when to start the gum. Anyway, weaning off is the key. However you can make that work. Replace the physical part of habit with suckers, toothpicks, whatever. Keep that going until the nicotine addiction is under control then wean off that too. Don’t try to stop both those aspects at once. It’s really a two part habit.

I “quit” years ago but still relapse occasionally, usually after drinking. But it hasn’t come back as a full habit. It’s a bitch and you’ll never totally get over it. Be kind to yourself and forgive yourself if you mess up. Just try to do better each time. You’re young enough where you can totally heal in a few years (so they say).

#3 64 days ago
    Quoted from BubbaPin:

Hi all, I'm 32 and have been smoking since I was 15. I have been smoking a pack to 2 packs a day for ten years straight.
    I'm just curious, if you have been able to stop. What did you do? And what do ya do to keep up with it.

Similar boat, just in my next chapter from you. Hear me out. Probably one of the most personal posts I'll have on this site.

I'm 41 now and haven't had a tobacco product in 10 1/2 years. When I was 16 I passed as an 18yr old, could buy butts and scratch tickets and that became cool. Then in college in the early 2000's it was still fashionable, so why not? But the dependency got real, and then life got real too. I started a family at 25, it fell apart and my ex took my son a good distance away. That just amped up how much I smoked each day now that I was in the "family" home all by myself.

When my son was 5 he caught on to my habits and also learned in school that smoking was bad and called me out for it. Instant wake up call. Here's what worked for me.

I went to my Dr. because of commercials at the time for Chantix (since recalled, but generics are still available by Rx I believe). I wanted a way to stop immediately, and I'm sorry, but that shit worked!!! I combined it with an e-cig as my crutch when I needed something. It also didn't help I worked at a large company with a contingency of smokers so it became a social thing to just take our extra breaks that weren't afforded to non-smokers. But once I told them I was trying to quit, they didn't give me crap for the blueberry e-cig and supported me. It was a 2-3 month Rx I think, and I didn't even need it all. I was done in like 4-5 weeks! Those pills worked! Once I stopped both the Rx and the e-cig, did I have cravings, and weird things like an occasional eye twitch? Yeah. But Those cravings weren't anything close to what it would feel like as a habitual smoker who went 2 hours without another butt. A week after that (and yeah, drinking makes that week easier), and I stopped having the cravings altogether. New life just like that.

Fast forward to today, the smell no longer is enticing, my 5yr old is now 15, and now I'm giving him the vape talks since I don't want to have him fall into even a fraction of a trap that I was in. If you can find a similar Rx, and use it with a ripcord device like an e-cig for those uncontrollable moments, it worked for me real quick, and I'm so happy my 5yr old kicked my ass into gear to fix that part of my life. Sometimes the easiest solutions are the best ones and it takes a 5yr old to point it out. Best of luck!

#4 64 days ago

Man I'm 2+ packs a day so I know this isn't gonna end well. The last time I quit smoking I was a raging maniac though. Makes quitting drinking look like peanuts.
    I love my cigarettes man what can I say

#5 64 days ago

Hard and/or challenging exercise worked for me. You can't do both so either you quit working out or you quit smoking. Find something physical you enjoy and try to excel in it. Its not a quick process.

#6 64 days ago

Start now, because without a big deal to make you do it it's very hard (duh!) And can take awHile.
    Patches & gum can help. Making a limit can help. We used to bet monies at work & stop smoking during the winter. (Shit. ..you don't have winter!)
    You just gotta cut down or go cold turkey. Cold turkey can work if yiu realize it's a process and will not work the first time...gotta keep going.

Brass dicks I smoked for like 25+ years off & mostly on. It took till i was 40 & having my first kid to kick it.

Good luck! It's literally the hardest habit to kick that isn't drinking water.

#7 64 days ago
    Quoted from monkeybug:

Hard and/or challenging exercise worked for me. You can't do both so either you quit working out or you quit smoking. Find something physical you enjoy and try to excel in it. Its not a quick process.

Dude I light a smoke as soon as I step out of the gym lol

#8 64 days ago

It's my protein shake

#9 64 days ago

It took the nastiest sore throat and tonsillitis to make me quit. Over 37 years probably. I remember smoking my last cigarette right before I went to the hospital because my throat hurt like hell and it felt like I couldn’t breath through my mouth because it was so enlarged. I was like fuck this, this is my last smoke. Only been a year and a half but not one cigarette since. I keep on thinking about my health and how I never want to feel that feeling again so that has been my motivation.

#10 64 days ago

I was three packs of Newports a day. Slowly cut to like 3 cigarettes a day and then just stopped about 10 years ago. Feel so much better. I just lost my sister in law to lung cancer. It spread to her brain and other areas and was horrible. Totally preventable. She was only 60 and smoked a pack a day. I see people smoking and think if they only knew what I just experienced with her. Go through the bullshit and just quit. Cancer really does fucking suck.

#11 64 days ago

I went threwm the phase of "I won't buy. Only buy smokes." Awesome idea but I ended up hanging out at the bar every night and buying beer for my buddy who'd gove me smokes

Gotta be much easier now that there are so few smokers

Please lord all we ask Is don't start vaping

#12 64 days ago

It's one of the absolute BEST decisions you'll ever make. I grew up in a smoking household during the 70s. My mother smoked 2 packs a day until she died early of heart and lung issues. She also had dementia from lack of oxygen to her brain. My dad smoked too, as did everyone else in my life.
    I started at 17. Was up to 1 1/2 packs a day when I quit at 30. For some reason I knew that after 30 it would become a lifetime habit.
    I tried to quit several times and made it a whole year once, before I slowly got back to where I left off.
    What worked for me was only one thing. You have to remind yourself every day what it was like when you were a kid and had good health and endless energy.
    For me that was cardio exercise.
    IMO you need to feel the horrible effects of smoking.
    Get out and run. Run around the block, run in the park, run anywhere you can. You'll stop and cough like crazy in the beginning, and the very last thing you'll want is a cigarette. That's the point. Make yourself feel the horrible effects, and just maybe you'll win the battle.
    It is so worth it. No wheezing. No coughing. No more life chained to a habit that controls you.
    You CAN do it. Just replace the habit with a better one, only for a while. It doesn't take forever. I've been a non-smoker for 26 years now.
    Good luck, and NEVER give up.

#13 64 days ago

The rattle of death made me quit

Iam 44 now but I haven’t smoke a cigarette in 10 years and Iam glad I did but I do cheat and have a cigar once a year or so.
    I was an everyday smoker since I can remember but 10 years ago I had a horrible cough for about a month that wouldn’t go away and at the end of that month I will wake up in the middle of the night and hear a gargle coming from my lungs and I googled it and ran to the emergency room it ended up behind bronchitis but it scared me enough to quit smoking

IMG_7152 (resized).jpegIMG_7152 (resized).jpeg
    #14 64 days ago

I took a self hypnosis class to quit smoking . I thought the self hypnosis was BS,and didn't do a thing. But how we were told to quit is what worked for me.
    Say you smoke 20 cigarettes a day. On the first day of quiting you smoke 20 cigarettes. On the second day you also smoke 20 cigarettes. Now on the third day you smoke 19 cigarettes,and on forth day you also smoke 19 cigarettes.
    On the fifth day you drop to 18 and on the sixth day you also smoke 18.
    Continue with this pattern of dropping one cigarette every two days. For me it was the perfect way to finally quit smoking cigarettes after being a long time smoker.
    You'll also find that you don't wanna kill the people around you like quiting cold turkey does.

#15 64 days ago
    Quoted from PappaDubz:

The rattle of death made me quit

Oh that shit is real fo sho.

Quoted from ralphs007:

I took a self hypnosis class to quit smoking .

I had a professor in college that did it & swore by it

#16 64 days ago

Cigarette prices in Australia will make you quit . Approx $30 USD for a pack of 25 over here.
    I haven't fully quit, but have cut down heaps with the nicotine spray (don't inhale this shit, just spray in mouth and breath out at the same time or you'll be coughing harder than than your grandma)

I also bought a bloody YOYO for work so I can do a lap around the building and have something else to concentrate on. Don't tell anyone.

Good luck

#17 64 days ago

If you have a family, wife, kids, you have to quit.
    Eventually, you will put them through hell with your many ailments and trips to the doctor and hospital.
    And in the end when you’re hooked up to a ventilator, the pain you will have caused them is unforgivable.
    Do everything and anything you can to stop.
    It’s terrible, I’ve been through that process. I don’t want to see others having to go through it.

#18 64 days ago

I started when I was 15 and stopped at 35 in 1998.

Took Ziban smoker pill back then really helped.

When prices went to 2.50 a pack that was it for me, smoking 2 packs a day. Just couldn't afford it. Can't imagine trying to afford it at today's prices.

#19 64 days ago

In October I will be 10 years off the cigs, after being a heavy smoker for 25 years. I quit cold turkey, no nicotine products at all. The last couple of years of my smoking career I was down to two or three packs per week. I didn't smoke at home or at work, only if I was at the bar. One day I got a pretty bad case of bronchitis that lasted for over a week. It was the longest I'd gone without smoking since I was a kid. I decided to see how long I could go without cigarettes and here we are 10 years later. I did supplement my urges by smoking a lot more pot. I'd take little joints to the bar with me and light one up when my smoking friends went outside to smoke. That really helped for pretty much the first year.

#20 63 days ago
    Quoted from BubbaPin:

I used first generation chantix before it was banned. I had smoked in Vegas for years annually like 1-2 packs while there.
    I noticed when I came home from my last weekend in Vegas, now I could no longer put down the cigs like I always could before.
    A good friend told me they had raised the nicotine levels dramatically, forcing addiction further in this world legally.

I had every single negative effect including disturbing nightmares. It was when I noticed the depression after about a week I stopped it, realizing I had every bad symptom.

Now I will say two things about chantix. Unless they have fixed it significantly I would pass.

However. From the first few moments after taking it, my desire to smoke completely vanished.

I say this again for effect. Completely and totally vanished.

I had no reason to smoke any more, the desire was gone. That was about twelve years ago and I have never picked up one single cigarette.

Use Much caution when using Chantix, but if I had a relative or loved one who must quit, this might be a way.

I thought, what if they could make other compulsions vanish in this way.

(Like say a product called Gamblix)

It was the desire to not play pinball one day that made me realize I was depressed on Chantix.

I was deciding not to go to an event, when I said to myself;

Something is wrong with you if you do not want to play pinball. It was a truth.

By the way I do smoke marijuana and I also suggest it to curb any smoking appetite.
    I had a stroke and three brain surgeries almost 8 years ago. The medical marijuana is not optional for me.
    IMG_0571 (resized).jpegIMG_0571 (resized).jpeg

#21 63 days ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

When prices went to 2.50 a pack that was it for me, smoking 2 packs a day. Just couldn't afford it. Can't imagine trying to afford it at today's prices.

Current rate in NH is $7.73 on average (thanks Google!). Smoking 2 packs per day is $5,642/yr. Where OP is in TX, seems to be about $5,562/yr.

That's a new Stern Pro in money every 15 months. If you're hardcore about this hobby, that's another way to look at it. Plus you're not pissing the money away and harming yourself if you buy a Pro every 15mo... well I mean besides the occasional kicking of the legs which I still do.

Quoted from Azmodeus:

I used first generation chantix before it was banned. I had smoked in Vegas for years annually like 1-2 packs while there.
    I noticed when I came home from my last weekend in Vegas, now I could no longer put down the cigs like I always could before.
    A good friend told me they had raised the nicotine levels dramatically, forcing addiction further in this world legally.

I had every single negative effect including disturbing nightmares. It was when I noticed the depression after about a week I stopped it, realizing I had every bad symptom.

Now I will say two things about chantix. Unless they have fixed it significantly I would pass.

However. From the first few moments after taking it, my desire to smoke completely vanished.

I say this again for effect. Completely and totally vanished.

I had no reason to smoke any more, the desire was gone. That was about twelve years ago and I have never picked up one single cigarette.

Use Much caution when using Chantix, but if I had a relative or loved one who must quit, this might be a way.

I thought, what if they could make other compulsions vanish in this way.

(Like say a product called Gamblix)

It was the desire to not play pinball one day that made me realize I was depressed on Chantix.

I will say that there were lots of cases back then of people who had depression or other issues that were amplified on Chantix. I remember having that conversation. Outside of what was a few nights of very weird dreams (not even nightmares per se, just abnormally weird dreams), I thankfully didn't experience any side effects. Obviously YMMV, but I think a contributing factor was that I didn't need the entire 2 or 3 month supply, whichever it was. Since I kicked the habit in 4 weeks, perhaps I lucked out of experiencing other side effects. But I don't smoke anymore, and that's pretty sweet.

#23 63 days ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Current rate in NH is $7.73 on average (thanks Google!). Smoking 2 packs per day is $5,642/yr. Where OP is in TX, seems to be about $5,562/yr.
    That's a new Stern Pro in money every 15 months. If you're hardcore about this hobby, that's another way to look at it. Plus you're not pissing the money away and harming yourself if you buy a Pro every 15mo... well I mean besides the occasional kicking of the legs which I still do.

When ya start doing the math...it a real eye opener.

#24 63 days ago

My dad smoked 2 packs a day when I was young. One day after coming home from school that evening mt parents asked me if I noticed anything different. Took a while to realize dad quit smoking cold turkey. Mom quit a few years earlier.

#25 63 days ago

Quit smoking at age 34, that was 29 years ago. Learned recently that my co worker, who was my age and never quit, died of a heart attack.

#26 63 days ago

I used to smoke 3.5 packs a day the reds. I stopped 16 years ago; I've been vaping ever since which is slightly better & I sneak in some cigars here & there.

#27 63 days ago

Got caught smoking a cigarette when I was 12 and my grandma made me eat an entire pack of Tareyton 100s!

That was over 45 years ago and haven't smoked since, thanks Grandma! Sure, she and my mom both died of lung disease but at least she knew enough to keep me off that same path.

#28 63 days ago

I had been smoking since high school & years ago my girlfriend saw something on PBS about emphysema & said we should quit, so I finished my pack & "quit".
    Years later we moved & I started hanging out with my neighbour who smoked. I tried a couple cigars & eventually started smoking again.
    Years after, we were getting our smokes from the Indian reserve because they were too expensive in the stores. One Christmas, my GF was sick & couldn't go & I was too lazy, so I quit.

#29 63 days ago

Didn’t smoke or vape but was in a secondhand fog most of childhood and 20’s. Just the way it was and lost good people along the way.

Just wanted to appreciate those who have quit or who are actively giving it another shot. Never give up!

#30 63 days ago

long time smoker - started at 15, then in the military at 17 and was a daily smoker from that point on - upwards of 2 packs a day depending. At age 50, i listened to a book on tape called 'the easy way to stop smoking' by a guy named Allan Carr. He ran a business based on this method in the 80's - would host seminars and charge per person - but if anyone was back to smoking in 3 months he would refund the money.

So - i had these cd's in my car - not for me but for a lady that needed to quick - and started listening to them on a thursday - smoking the whole time as is recommended - on monday i had 2 cigs, and havent had one since - that was April 2009, so however many years that is - didn't really quit - just became a non smoker. in that year - i had some of the most traumatic shit happen - lost 2 jobs, gf left me for another guy (yes, really) was broke and borrowing money - just an effed up year. thought about some really bad things - ending lives type stuff - but never even thought about smoking a cig because that's not something non smokers think of.

It doesnt work for everyone - but i recently recommended it to a friend of mine who's wife wanted to quit - and last i heard she's still not smoking.

highly recommended. good luck.

#31 63 days ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Got caught smoking a cigarette when I was 12 and my grandma made me eat an entire pack of Tareyton 100s!
    That was over 45 years ago and haven't smoked since, thanks Grandma! Sure, she and my mom both died of lung disease but at least she knew enough to keep me off that same path.

Funny. My dad first caught me when I was 15. I was on our 2nd floor balcony sneaking a smoke. He came out into the backyard, looked up and said “are you smoking?” Then he muttered disgustedly, “you stupid shit” and walked back in. Nothing said after that but his disappointment stuck with me. He should have done as your grandma did because it didn’t stop me at that point.

#32 63 days ago

This got me to quit:

Smoking can cause impotence by damaging the blood vessels, nerves, and smooth muscle in the penis, leading to reduced blood flow and difficulty achieving and maintaining an erection. Quitting smoking can help to improve erectile function.

No amount of smoking pleasure is better than sex.

#33 63 days ago

A wise man told me if I keep smoking quality weed, I can smoke all the cigarettes I want as long as I consistently hack any buildup out of my lungs before it has a chance to linger too long.

#34 63 days ago

That said, it helps if you eat well, drink lots of water, are athletic and conditioned and just don't sit around all day.

Results may vary.

#35 63 days ago

Alittle personal history.

Grew up in a household where both parents didn't smoke, mom was a nurse. But me and all my brothers smoked.

I have a wife, 12 y/o son, and 18 y/o daughter. Wife is a nocturnal smoker, probably smokes 10 or less a day. Daughter smokes and vapes. Me and mybwife have gotten in pretty heated arguments about our daughter smoking, because I'm a living example of what it does.

I lost about 75% of my teeth about 9 years ago. All top teeth gone and what's left of the bottom is in shit shape. I chain smoke regularly, after about 20 minutes without a smoke It's the only thing on my mind. Blood pressure is always through the roof. My job is a very active job so I dont have issue with running or anything like that.

It use to be when I was driving I had to have a smoke in my mouth the entire time I was behind the wheel. A year ago I got a new truck that i wanted to keep in great shape just because how much trucks cost now. So since then I don't smoke while driving, I just smoke right before and right after driving.

I drink nightly, few beers while playing my pins or watching the mavericks. Smoke weed occasionally just as a sleep aid. Tend to have issues sleeping longer than 6 hours.

Daily routine which I feel like is killing me is as follows.
    Smoke, coffee, smoke, smoke, new coffee, smoke, drive to work, smoke, work, redbull, smoke, work, smoke, 2nd redbull, work, etc etc, until I get home and then it's beer, smoke, smoke, smoke, beer, smoke, smoke, etc

Eating is a bitch, I can go a day or two without realizing I haven't ate. Eating without natural teeth is tricky and painful.

I love everyone's story's so far, I just wanted to add mine. Thank you all for all yalls honest insight on the topic, I thought it was interesting there wasn't already a topic like it on pinside

#36 63 days ago
    Quoted from BubbaPin:

Alittle personal history.
    Grew up in a household where both parents didn't smoke, mom was a nurse. But me and all my brothers smoked.
    I have a wife, 12 y/o son, and 18 y/o daughter. Wife is a nocturnal smoker, probably smokes 10 or less a day. Daughter smokes and vapes. Me and mybwife have gotten in pretty heated arguments about our daughter smoking, because I'm a living example of what it does.
    I lost about 75% of my teeth about 9 years ago. All top teeth gone and what's left of the bottom is in shit shape. I chain smoke regularly, after about 20 minutes without a smoke It's the only thing on my mind. Blood pressure is always through the roof. My job is a very active job so I dont have issue with running or anything like that.
    It use to be when I was driving I had to have a smoke in my mouth the entire time I was behind the wheel. A year ago I got a new truck that i wanted to keep in great shape just because how much trucks cost now. So since then I don't smoke while driving, I just smoke right before and right after driving.
    I drink nightly, few beers while playing my pins or watching the mavericks. Smoke weed occasionally just as a sleep aid. Tend to have issues sleeping longer than 6 hours.
    Daily routine which I feel like is killing me is as follows.
    Smoke, coffee, smoke, smoke, new coffee, smoke, drive to work, smoke, work, redbull, smoke, work, smoke, 2nd redbull, work, etc etc, until I get home and then it's beer, smoke, smoke, smoke, beer, smoke, smoke, etc
    Eating is a bitch, I can go a day or two without realizing I haven't ate. Eating without natural teeth is tricky and painful.
    I love everyone's story's so far, I just wanted to add mine. Thank you all for all yalls honest insight on the topic, I thought it was interesting there wasn't already a topic like it on pinside

Yikes.

I'm a non-smoker (other than a limited cigar phase) and this is hard to read as I feel for you health-wise. My dad was a heavy smoker much of his life and tried to quit several times before finally kicking the habit for good in his sixties. Suffered from serious heart disease later on but amazingly, he lived to 93.

Good luck to all smokers looking to quit! I've seen how tough it can be, but I've never heard a friend or family member say anything other than they were happy that they finally did.

#37 63 days ago

We used to have a real smog problem around here, so bad that there was a thick brown haze over the ocean and it made it hard to breathe when surfing or running. Way worse than any smoking which I was for the most part anti most of my life.

But the air is so clean now. And I've got nothing left to prove to anybody except myself. Haven't even had a cold in over 5 years.

I don't want to get into my on and off history with nicotine over the years, but have and can quit cold turkey anytime I want.

#38 63 days ago

It’s all about motivation. I smoked since about 14, a pack a day, then roll ups. I’d have the occasional go at giving up, be an asshole for a few weeks then find a reason to start again. Just one at a party, then just one the day after and back on again. I really wanted to stop but just couldn’t do it.

When my daughter was about three, I snuck down the end of the garden for a cheeky fag and when I came back in my daughter had a white pen in her mouth proudly announcing she was like daddy. I stopped there and then.
    I had withdrawals for a good few weeks if not months and it took a good four or five years before I stopped craving them. But that was the kick in pants I needed.

I had a cigar to celebrate a birth a few years later and ended up green and hugging the toilet for an hour. I’m done now, but it took the right motivation to get there.

All I can say to anyone considering is you won’t ever regret stopping, there’s a good chance one day you’ll regret not stopping. Especially if you have family.

#39 63 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

We used to have a real smog problem around here, so bad that there was a thick brown haze over the ocean

Remember that. LA was a dirty toilet bowl.
    Did everyone move to NV?
    Last few trips were fantastic. Blue skies for miles.
    What did they do to clean up?

#40 63 days ago

Cold turkey but it took many times. Tried Chantix. I would recommend against it. That shit can really F with your brain. Tried Wellbutrin, and nicotine gum/patches. I just kept trying to quit and eventually it stuck. That was about 15 years ago. Last year I fell off the wagon for about 2 months. Made the mistake of smoking casually with friends but I eventually started back up. This time though, it made me feel like crap so I quit cold turkey again...well if you call it quitting.

Bottom line is some things work better for some people than others. But the important thing is you keep trying. Eventually you will quit. Don't get down on yourself. Just stay focused and keep trying.

#41 63 days ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

It took the nastiest sore throat and tonsillitis to make me quit. Over 37 years probably. I remember smoking my last cigarette right before I went to the hospital because my throat hurt like hell and it felt like I couldn’t breath through my mouth because it was so enlarged. I was like fuck this, this is my last smoke. Only been a year and a half but not one cigarette since. I keep on thinking about my health and how I never want to feel that feeling again so that has been my motivation.

Smokers current and former chafe at it, but I stand by the only real key is truly, really wanting to quit. Doesn't mean it's easy, but quiting is doable by anyone if they ACTUALLY want to quit. The trouble is most of us don't really, deep down WANT to stop. When you do, you will, and until then the best advice I have is keep trying to figure out why you WANT to smoke - then replace whatever you're getting from it with something else.

For me, the biggest enjoyment I got from smoking was the social part. I was at a pack a day by 16, chained 1-2 all through college and grad school. Over time I got sick of feeling owned by the habit, the expense, etc...I'd say I was done, quit for a couple months, but eventually wander back because back then nearly everyone I knew smoked and it was socially normal with those who didn't. It was a reason to hang out, hell, it was how I got to know a lot of folks. Wind shifted, moved and started new circles in the late 00s, and eventually the social aspect became more negative than a draw back, sometime around then I quit and it stuck for good. Seems like a lifetime ago, but literally smoked heavy for a good 10-15 years.

Funny thing is, I'm kinda doing the same cycle with drinking nowadays. I'm pretty over it, but it's smack in the middle of my social life. Just like smoking around 05, I don't really want to do it, but I don't really want not to either. I'll quit for a few months, circle back, then quit again a few months later. Every time I drink less on the whole though, so that's a plus. The older I get the more even a couple drinks make me feel like shit the next day.

I'm a cold turkey guy. I'm kind of a cranky bastard regardless, no one makes much of a couple weeks of withdrawals :p. One tip I'll give on smoking though - back in grad school I spent a semester in Europe and cig prices were crazy (like here now, lol), but there was a pipe tobacco shop nearby - THAT was cheap. Bought a pipe like a goofball and took it up for a few months. When I got back and picked up cigs again I realized after one or two I was CRAVING cigs, and not pipe tobacco either. God knows what they add to cigs, but it's damn sure intentional to keep you hooked - not just the nicotine you're hooked on. I'd seriously look at taking up a pipe as a reasonable crutch for weaning off if ya need one. Plus, it smells pretty damn good to most folks

#42 63 days ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Remember that. LA was a dirty toilet bowl.
    Did everyone move to NV?
    Last few trips were fantastic. Blue skies for miles.
    What did they do to clean up?

Well, the cars got cleaner and I did my part as a smog tech testing and repairing cars that weren't. Up through the 80s was the worst, but we turned the corner by the mid 90s. I'm getting so much oxygen now, I don't know what to do with it.

I had totally quit smoking cold turkey after my daughter was born in the late 90s, then I got involved with owning pinball a little over 10 years ago..

Really though, it all comes down to a man's got to know his limitations.

#43 63 days ago

Lots of good advice here but here is my two cents. I have never been a nicotine user but have a background that lends me insights into the process you are going to go through. My best piece of advice is to purposefully persevere through the adversity. Nicotine is evil. Statistically speaking you are quitting one of the most addictive substances on the planet.

You will fail.

When you fail you need to dig in and find the strength to try again. The ability to persevere will determine your eventual success in stopping nicotine. I genuinely wish you the best of luck.

#44 61 days ago

Saw this on Facebook, bought back memories.

Screenshot_20240520_054929_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240520_054929_Facebook (resized).jpg
    #45 61 days ago
    Quoted from BubbaPin:

I quit during COVID after 15 years. I used CBD hemp to stop and eventually weened off that. I didn't have cravings when I didn't smoke CBD but I did when I smoked tabacco. Not sure if the same experience would be had by others but worked for me.

#46 60 days ago

Thanks for starting this thread! I’m 46 and took my first puff at 7 when my dad threw his cigs out in the yard just to see what it was like. Then started smoking full time at 10.. Not proud of it, but here I am.

I’ve quit then started back over the years and lost count how many times that has happened. When my daughter was born almost 10 years ago I told myself I would quit and I did for a short time, but it never stuck and I still tell myself every day that I need to quit or it’s going to kill me. Wife smokes as well and she’s been wanting to quit, but it’s hard to when one of us doesn’t (co-dependency sucks…). I have high blood pressure and had a few scares with my lungs (nodules, but not cancer). It’s the most addictive drug and I have to find a way to finally make it stick or my family will be the one who will pay the price..

#47 60 days ago
    Quoted from remf:

Thanks for starting this thread! I’m 46 and took my first puff at 7 when my dad threw his cigs out in the yard just to see what it was like. Then started smoking full time at 10.. Not proud of it, but here I am.
    I’ve quit then started back over the years and lost count how many times that has happened. When my daughter was born almost 10 years ago I told myself I would quit and I did for a short time, but it never stuck and I still tell myself every day that I need to quit or it’s going to kill me. Wife smokes as well and she’s been wanting to quit, but it’s hard to when one of us doesn’t (co-dependency sucks…). I have high blood pressure and had a few scares with my lungs (nodules, but not cancer). It’s the most addictive drug and I have to find a way to finally make it stick or my family will be the one who will pay the price..

Good luck man, We are all here rooting for you and your wife.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.