(Topic ID: 24527)

Any Linux Users/Developers Curious About JJP's System?

By Crash

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tinman.jpg
    thanks-alex.jpg
    ivybridge.jpg
    P1050258.JPG
    6db2913323eacdcfdb4ab78ab4d4826b.jpg
    fb77db728cada1c25e87c38da95dd2b2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gseador.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#102 11 years ago

Finally this thread is back on topic!! Good lord people!!
    I agree with castlesteve. Could someone "hack" the WOZ OS, whatever OS and encryption is used? Absolutely. Will someone? Highly unlikely. For now.
    I suppose someone could spend 10,000 hours trying to figure out how to exploit the WOZ OS. But what would be the point? To demonstrate how much idle time you have to spend on things that don't matter? The Iphone is jailbroken because there is money to be made in doing it. Plain and simple. Thousands of themes, add-ons and other programs are sold every year on Cydia and other places to the jailbroken community. There are millions upon millions of Iphones in circulation and so even if a fraction of them are jailbroken, the apps make money. And the hackers can pound their chest and make a name for themselves for hacking big bad Apple.
    As for WOZ, while it might be a big deal here on Pinside, the rest of the world does not care about this game. There is zero demand for a "hacked" WOZ machine and so there is nothing to justify the amount of time it would take to hack it.

The only thing that changes any of this is if JJP remains in the market for say the next decade. As the number of machines increases, so too might the demand for a way to hack them. Until then, it ain't gonna happen.

#107 11 years ago
    Quoted from decktard:

I wouldn't say there is 0 demand. Take a look at the code tweaking that is being done with DE Star Wars. Take a look at the LED ghosting patch that was made for WPC machines. Take a look at the P-ROC project. Take a look at the FreeWPC project.

I said there is zero demand currently. There simply is not enough JJP machines to make "hacking" worth the effort. Like I said, as the number of machines increases, so will the demand.

There were 10,400 DE Star Wars machines made. The LED patch is compatible with thousands upon thousands of machines. Where there is supply, there is demand. Not so with JJP currently.

#108 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlooking:

Yes exactly.
    Even cars computers are modified to support towing more speed etc.

And how many cars are manufactured every year? Supply and demand. Pure and simple.

#112 11 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Keeping the thread on track, one can certainly argue that JJP could be just as successful making their software open source because what they are really selling is the box, the mechanics, the design, and other physical items you can't just replicate without effort. In that light someone who buys a JJP pin will feel confident that 20 years down the road they will still be able to tweak their ruleset and lights, or download someone else's new ruleset to keep the game super fresh.

Or, JJP also could keep the software under wraps just long enough to create a demand for it -- until there are enough machines in the market that a demand is generated -- then he could open it up and sell licenses to customers for $xxx.xx dollars a piece.

I don't pretend to know what JJP is going to do, but it seems like there is an opportunity for JJP to profit for a second time after the sale of the machine, by selling a way that the software can be modified by users. This keeps the machine fresh and generates excitement for JJP products, add-ons, etc.

Only time will tell...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gseador.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-linux-usersdevelopers-curious-about-jjps-system?tu=gseador and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.