• Hell no, I do not want the hassles 35 votes
    25%
  • I love my rental properties 48 votes
    34%
  • I have been thinking about doing that 28 votes
    20%
  • I used to and called it quits 31 votes
    22%

(Multiple choice - 142 votes by 141 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7E1755C7-8593-4FA2-92A9-9E2FE625EE32 (resized).jpeg
STFU Donnie (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
6F4F8A2D-CABB-420F-9A7C-D1DF45B82DCF (resized).jpeg
laneway (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 4 years ago

It's funny you posted this. I've been considering jumping in on doing rentals for awhile now. I have the cash and liquidity so that part isn't the issue, however I am risk adverse, and I don't know much of anything about property values vs. what I can get for rent. I'm doing a bunch of research, but it is overwhelming (also worried about bad tenants). The area I live near that I'm looking at I think the houses are overpriced for what they are and the taxes are high. From a housing market perspective, I feel I'm looking to jump in at the wrong time?

#20 4 years ago

Isn't canadian just pesos by another name?

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from ChippyWonka:

Don’t rent to people on government assistance.

Isn't that money guaranteed? Or is it more about the personality types that are on it?

#46 4 years ago

n/m i misread the quote

#49 4 years ago

Question for everyone:

Do any of you use any form of positive reinforcement regarding rent? I know some of you say you don't raise the rent but does anyone do things such as small discount for paying early? Discount on last month of year if paid on time rest of year? Discounts for 6 or 12 months up front. Things of that nature?

Does anyone charge late fees or do you simply start the eviction paperwork the next day?

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from mrmark0673:

All residential. Commercial properties have a completely different set of rules.
All of my rentals are 2 family properties and I absolutely need to keep all deposits in a separate interest bearing account.

Curious, do you use high interest online accounts or just a local savings account? I ask because access to the local is faster than online (although usually just a few days difference).

Also, is that a separate account for EACH unit?

#102 4 years ago

Going to look at some properties this weekend! Nervous but motivated. Still a ton of research and learning to do.

The more I research and run numbers though, the more I think I'm going to have to go outside my area.

2 weeks later
#109 4 years ago

Have been looking at properties the last couple weeks. Found one we are interested in and along the way I've had my insurance company price quoting each property to get an idea of what that is going to cost. The pricing seems very high and has a bunch of stipulations that are confusing considering what we are trying to do. Are there any insurance companies that specialize in multifamily rentals?

1 week later
#120 4 years ago

So I just received word that my offer on my first 4 plex has been accepted. I thought it was overpriced and offered quite a bit less than what they were asking. I didn't like their counter offer, so I was ready to walk away. My agent said, rather than just walk away just tell them you aren't going higher. I said that was fine, expecting it to be over. I was surprised to hear they accepted it.

Now for the freaking out about if I made the right decision or not.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

The freaking out is also the exciting part. Congratulations. Is this your first rental property or first multi unit? There’s lots of good info in here if you haven’t read it all yet. I’d say good luck, but if you follow some of the advice here you won’t need luck.

First ever rental property. Yea, I've been reading here, and I've done a ton of reading/podcast watching from Biggerpockets etc.

2 months later
#176 4 years ago

Good luck to you all and your tenants. I am actually quite relieved that I decided to back away from a deal I had been looking at. Would have been horrible timing for me for a first deal...

Rest assured I'm still looking though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-landlords-here-please-post-tips-and-stories?tu=zablon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.