• Hell no, I do not want the hassles 35 votes
    25%
  • I love my rental properties 48 votes
    34%
  • I have been thinking about doing that 28 votes
    20%
  • I used to and called it quits 31 votes
    22%

(Multiple choice - 142 votes by 141 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7E1755C7-8593-4FA2-92A9-9E2FE625EE32 (resized).jpeg
STFU Donnie (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
6F4F8A2D-CABB-420F-9A7C-D1DF45B82DCF (resized).jpeg
laneway (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinzrfun.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 4 years ago

There are several landlords on here, I expect this thread to expand a bit later today - they tend to sleep in lol.

My parents and grandparents owned rental houses but sold them by the time my brother, sister and I were born. My younger brother borrowed 3 grand off my dad when he was 19, flipped his first house and has been doing it for 30 years. He's the only one of us who didn't go to college. He's also the only one with a custom built house on a lake.

I became an accidental landlord when I was laid off in 2008. I moved in with my (now) wife since I was there 4 nights a week anyways. So I've been renting that house a little over 10 years. Had a couple tenants that weren't the best, but I've never been stiffed on rent or anything. Kept a couple security deposits to cover bills/repairs over the years, but for the most part I've had good tenants. One pair of girls stayed 6 years, another girl a couple years. My payment on it is about $650/mo all in, I rent it for 1k/month.

My wife's health took a downturn around 2008 also. She was eventually diagnosed with MS. She ended up losing her house in the 2008 collapse, along with her 401k and all her savings, trying to stay afloat. Her house went into foreclosure, and was eventually auctioned off at the annual tax auction. By that time (2011 or so) I had landed another job, and we were able to bid on the house (we were still living in it) and buy it back for $18k. She had owed approx $120k - the bank never tried to repossess it, they had already been paid off by the bailouts.

So when we finally bought our OWN house together 5 years ago, we started renting hers out. There's no mortgage, and we rent it for 1k/month. The same family has lived there since day 1, no problems. So the $ from that rental pretty much covers the mortgage on our new house.

She wants to flip a house next time to get some cash to remodel our new house. So we're always looking for another opportunity.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Question for everyone:
Do any of you use any form of positive reinforcement regarding rent? I know some of you say you don't raise the rent but does anyone do things such as small discount for paying early? Discount on last month of year if paid on time rest of year? Discounts for 6 or 12 months up front. Things of that nature?
Does anyone charge late fees or do you simply start the eviction paperwork the next day?

I've never raised the rent while anyone is living there, but have adjusted prior to a new tenant moving in -

I charge a $25 late fee if rent paid after the 5th. They get one freebie - it's a lesson people learn quickly if they actually have to cough it up. Some of my longer-term, good tenants I've let slide though.

No discounts for early payment - not gonna reward them for something they're supposed to be doing.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I’ve always wondered what it would be like having rental houses in college towns. Does anyone here have any experience?

A good friend of mine has over 60 "doors", a majority of them in Ann Arbor MI, big college town. He's virtually guaranteed a constant tenant pool. Most of these kids don't want to move once they're settled and many stay for 3+ years during their entire program. The parents always sign the leases - that's a must. Most of his are larger 4+ bedroom houses as well as apartment buildings. He also has a couple mobile home parks but he mostly complains about those lol

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I've considered buying investment properties for years, but can never make the numbers work vs. keeping the money in a long-term, diversified stock portfolio. The only opportunities seem to be when the housing market takes a real downturn and you have cash on the sidelines, can somehow beat out the pros in buying property that will benefit from planned development in the area, or have the skills/time to do major improvements yourself. Doesn't seem to make sense to accept mid single digit returns given the work and risks involved. Am I missing something, or is your main motivation to be a landlord aversion (or diversification) to the stock market?

To super-oversimplify it, think of it this way - you plop down 20k on a 200k house, and even if it only breaks even for the next 15 years and never appreciates, your tenants have paid off a house for you and you can now sell it for $200k, or you can continue to get rent payments for the rest of your life from it -

#85 4 years ago

No, Helmut U....German gentleman.

1 month later
#139 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

insurance should be inline with your personal home (assuming you are doing a SFH rental)
Maybe $100 more annually

On the contrary, you're only insuring the building, not the contents? My rental insurance is only about $475 a year on each house - ?

#152 4 years ago

OK, here's a question -
I've never asked a tenant to sign a new lease when their old one expired, it simply went month-to-month at that time. And it's been fine, one couple stayed another 5 years, and another stayed a couple more. Nobody has ever packed up and left the day their lease ended.

But this next time, I'd like to lock the current tenants in for at least another year - what do you guys do if they DON'T want to sign for another year?

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I sign 12 months minimum. Then when the lease is coming up for end of term, I schedule an annual maintenance inspection.
I walk through the property and assuming all looks in order I give them a renewal form.
The renewal for has 3 options and a deadline for return.
The options are a 1 year lease extension, 2 year lease extension, or notice to not renew and end lease at the current term.
If they are good tenants and I want to entice them to renew for 2 years, then I provide a rent reduction for the 2 year extension.

So, say for whatever reason they don't want to get locked into another year (job may be relocating, whatever), you kick out otherwise good tenants and have your property empty?

1 week later
#169 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

not really.
It is not like I am kicking anyone out, lol.
I give any good tenant the option to renew/extend. If they dont want to, then the lease ends at the normal time and then move out.
This is really just simple business. The city I live in seems probably 80% of tenant turn over during the months of May-August. As a landlord, that is when you also want leases to end to ensure you have the greatest chance at filling a vacancy and finding the most qualified tenants.
The alternative is a month to month tenant leaving on Oct 31st with no new tenant for 6 months. Every landlord should be avoiding that.

I've never done this. I've had people on month to month leases for 5 years. And I've never had a problem renting a house no matter what time of year - someone always needs a roof over their head. You could almost argue that you could ask MORE in the winter since inventory is lower, and 80% of the population wants to move when it's summertime. As for a 6 month vacancy - the longest my place has been empty is 6 weeks, and that's my fault because I take forever to paint and stuff. I must get asked every time I'm there if it's for rent. I'd rather have 2 18-month tenants than 3 one-year ones.

I can't see ending a lease with a good tenant just because they're uncertain about committing for another year. But I do see the logic of your choice.

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Like most things, it needs to be a case by case basis.

Agreed.

3 years later
#267 7 months ago

What extent do you guys go to when tenants move out? And how often do you do renovations, large or small?

I usually wipe down every door/wall/trim and repaint, but this last time I just touched up paint where there were nicks or scratches.

The house was built in the 50s (bungalow), and I shudder to think the number of times the interior doors and trim have been painted. The doors don't close properly, the trim is banged up - the past few years I keep wanting to replace them but I never seem to have time and tenants lined up already.

I tore up the carpet and had the wood floors sanded/finished 4 years ago ($1000), and just had them touched up again ($750) but I think I'm going to do some kind of LVP/vinyl flooring that requires no maintenance next time. I don't want to drop a grand on getting floors touched up every time someone moves out.

Fixtures in the bathroom have been replaced over the years but it needs to be gutted and remodeled too - I was quoted 5k on that 10 years ago, tiny ass bathroom. I can only imagine what it would cost now, even if I do the demo (old school plaster and lathe).

I was just over there cleaning last week and within 2 hours had 3 different people stop and ask if it was for rent or sale, so there's never been a problem getting people in there - i just feel like I need to offer a good quality "product".

6 months later
#280 12 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

We started renting our old house in August of last year. So far, everything is going well. The family seems nice and the property is well cared for. I'd like to start saving for another property but the rates are still crazy high. We are using a property manager but so far the only repair has been a garage door spring that likely was past due anyway.

Awesome! Good for you! Ive never used a property manager, I'm pretty handy and live close by, but I bet that's good peace of mind.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinzrfun.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-landlords-here-please-post-tips-and-stories?tu=pinzrfun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.