• Hell no, I do not want the hassles 35 votes
    25%
  • I love my rental properties 48 votes
    34%
  • I have been thinking about doing that 28 votes
    20%
  • I used to and called it quits 31 votes
    22%

(Multiple choice - 142 votes by 141 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7E1755C7-8593-4FA2-92A9-9E2FE625EE32 (resized).jpeg
STFU Donnie (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
6F4F8A2D-CABB-420F-9A7C-D1DF45B82DCF (resized).jpeg
laneway (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JayDee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

While I am thinking about it, get as much security deposit as you can(like 1.5 to 2 times a months rent), they will normally behave a lot better. AND, make it clear that the security deposit is not the last months rent.
Thankfully I have not had to do any of that in a while, and the last tenant that moved did get back 100% of their security deposit, only the 2nd so far to be this awesome.

That’s an absolute. We have several rental houses and since we’re in the business of remodeling homes, our houses are always being updated. Sometimes full remodels. This helps keep maintenance to a minimum and allows us to get maximum rent. Rules are very simple:
-Have good to very good credit
-Two months security (no last month bullshit)
-No short term leases (minimum 1 year but try to get at least 2 year commitments)
-No pets
-Tenant responsible for all utilities
-Tenant responsible for yard maintenance and if they don’t want to, then they get charged another $120 a month and we will provide landscape service
-All properties are in my town which allows for quick service if a problem arises

Also everyone has to have a background check and houses need to be inspected once a year. This is Elk Grove Village rules. They do the inspections and background checks. We have had pretty good luck with tenants but that’s probably because when they have a lot of skin in the game they respect the property and actually sometimes improve it on their own. Some of our tenants have been renting from us for over 20 years.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have actually found pet owners to often be good tenants. I have strict rules around it, charge a little extra, and find that they tend to stay and keep good care of the place. I will ALWAYS take dogs over cats. Cats can cause way more issues in my experience.

curious if this $120 is standard for landscape services in your area. I have a few tenants that dont maintain the laws as well as I would like. I have been unable to find a reasonable service for them to hire that is affordable.

curious what other landlords are using for a service to do background, credit, and criminal history checks? I need a new one and have some spring/summer rentals coming up.

We do accept dogs sometimes but requires another month security. Absolutely no cats though

Yes landscape costs $30 a week. No up charge from me

The village does the background check through the police dept. so I can’t answer that question. My realtor does the screening for us as part of his fee when finding tenants. He won’t show our properties if they don’t fit our requirements listed above.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from mrmark0673:

An unrelated aside to previous posts: In regards to security deposits, remember to check local laws. In MA, we cannot collect more than 1 month's rent for security, we need to keep it in a completely separate interest bearing account, and we need to provide proof of having done so very shortly after receiving the deposit.

Does that apply to all rentals? I can’t remember the exact laws in Illinois off hand, but I believe that the interest bearing accts apply to buildings with 25 tenants or more. All our rentals are single family homes.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/illinois-security-deposits-36207.html

4 weeks later
#115 4 years ago
Quoted from bkfiv:

My situation - I'm a complete amateur. I have one condo that I used to live in. Instead of selling, I kept it and rented it. I've only ever had 2 renters in there over the last 11 years. The first 6 ended up being a couple - the guy I knew from High School. They paid on time, every time, like clockwork. When they were ready to move on, I had a friend & his family in need. Yes, I sense all you veteran's sirens going off - but I wanted to help. The friend needed to move, and wanted to come to this community for the schools, safety etc. I was happy I was able to help. It was good for a long time. I'm not sure I ever really received rent by the 1st of the month and usually a casual text got it sorted out. Well, somewhere along the line, nothing to do with renting, we're not friends anymore. I'm actually not sure why, I think it has something to do with coaching kids in sports somehow, but again, just guessing here. Anyway, he won't speak to me, I don't care about that. Unfortunately now rent is going past the usual 1 week-10 days after the 1st. Now it's more like 15-25th of the month. I've started writing them "late rent" letters with a $50 late fee. I'm looking forward and I don't know what to do. I don't want to make them move. They have no credit, probably no other real good options. They still have a Sophomore daughter (2 others graduated already) that will go through my High School soccer program. So, I really don't like the dad, who for whatever reason has decided to be disrespectful and create some problem. But the daughter didn't do anything, I actually like her. Have any of you not renewed leases due to late payments? Is this even grounds to do anything? I really just wish they'd either pay <close to> on time, or let me know there was a problem doing so. Any advice is welcome.

Tough situation. I’d rather have a vacant house than trying to chase rent every month cause technically it’s almost the same thing. You’re not getting rent when it’s empty, and you’re not getting rent when there’s wear and tear being put on the property also. What’s the lease situation? Is there a written lease? You should always always always have a signed lease agreement. Doesn’t matter if it’s friends or family. If lease is almost up, don’t renew and ride it out. If there’s a lot of time left then I would tell them that you will be drawing up eviction paperwork. This is a business. Always try to be civil though and talk with them to explain your situation. You don’t need them ruining your house especially if they don’t have money to get back thru the court for damages. Like I said this is a business for you. They wouldn’t like it if their work didn’t pay them their check on time. And then on top of it delaying more and more each month. This is no different.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from bkfiv:

Lease was originally 1 year, now we add 1 year extensions each May. So, current one expires in May. They are paying, just getting to the point it's almost a month late.
FYI I never charged them a security deposit - lease says no animals. Originally he agreed to that but then they "couldn't do anything with the dog" and have kept it there ever since.
Again, little things that aren't a big deal for friends who pay - but much bigger deal when they aren't friends who pay <on time> anymore.

I understand they are paying, but it’s getting later and later. Soon they will be a month behind like you said. It’s starting to get out of hand. You know the saying, give them an inch and they will take a foot. In this case it will turn into a mile before you know what hit you. You have to look at it as a business and have to be tough. They have no skin in the game at all. Especially since there was no security. They have nothing to lose by pushing the limits with you. Stop the bleeding now.

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So I just received word that my offer on my first 4 plex has been accepted. I thought it was overpriced and offered quite a bit less than what they were asking. I didn't like their counter offer, so I was ready to walk away, and my agent said, rather than just walk away just tell them you aren't going higher. I was surprised to hear they accepted it.
Now for the freaking out about if I made the right decision or not.

The freaking out is also the exciting part. Congratulations. Is this your first rental property or first multi unit? There’s lots of good info in here if you haven’t read it all yet. I’d say good luck, but if you follow some of the advice here you won’t need luck.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from curiusgeorge:

So I could use some advice. My sister and her fiance recently purchased a new house and plan to rent out the old house rather than sell it. The agent they worked with on buying the new house has offered to manage the property free of charge because he wants to get some experience in the rental management area. He's listed the house for rent and has already found a renter. The rental checks will be sent to the agent, who in turn will deposit them in a bank account sister's fiance has set up. Is it me, or are there some major problems with this arrangement, or am I being overly skeptical here?

It seems insane to me. Why do they need a property manager? Are they far from the property to need an extra set of eyes? Are they just inexperienced enough that they can’t find and call a pro to fix something if they can’t fix themselves? These are reasons that a property manager is maybe needed, but still a waste of money in my opinion. I would never ever trust someone else with MY money. I get paid, then the manager gets paid. No questions asked. It’s your property. This deal is bad bad bad.

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from curiusgeorge:

Well, yeah, they are basically terrible at fixing anything. I've been buying him tools or giving him my extras for years, but I've learned, he's just not a handy type of guy and it's easier, faster, and cheaper if I help out. My problem isn't so much with them having a property manager, because both are pushovers, it's the arrangement itself. Nothing in writing, the agent has no financial responsibility or benefit, so there's nothing holding him to the property. I'd like to avoid them finding themselves in a bad situation, as they now have a new 6 month old baby, but I think I'm going to lose this argument.

Exactly why I said that I never trust anyone with my money. This guy is nothing more than someone who will help them either A: find a renter and take their calls if something comes up, or B: someone who handles any problem that would arise. Here’s the thing with B. The manager would still have to tell them the issue and get approval to set up the fixit person. Plus he wouldn’t be paying the bill. He has no money out of his pocket either. It’s not his house. He’s not paying the taxes and carry the insurance etc. Yourfamily gets the rent, the manger gets paid. Period. Any other way is putting a gun to your head

#130 4 years ago

Maybe talk to the agent yourself?
Maybe they have became friends and he is trying to help them, while learning himself. Who knows.
As long as the agent screens very well and all the rental paperwork is in order it may be ok.

I don’t agree with this. They can pay the manager to do whatever they want him to do, ie find renters, find professionals for repairs etc, but they should collect the rent and put into their own acct or whatever. This is their business and they use money however they want. There’s no need for the manager to collect the rent and then deposit himself. The owners can then pay him for his job. Plus if he screws up or doesn’t do what he’s supposed to be doing they can cut him off with no issues.

#133 4 years ago

Way back when I used a property manager she collected the rents and mailed me a check.
If this agent is acting as a property manager then why should the owner need to collect the rent?
And I have no clue about the entire story or situation, I am still learning myself.

I can understand that, but these days it’s very simple to make money transactions. Therefore I see absolutely no reason to add another cog to the system. We have 15 single family rental homes including one that was in another state. It’s very easy to accept rent.

1. Mailed or hand delivered check
2. Direct deposit into an acct
3. Hand deliver cash.

It’s rare that I’ll take cash but if I do, it gets documented into a ledger book and is signed by us and the tenant, and tenant gets a receipt. Always have a paper trail of some sort in case. This is reason why I don’t need a agent to take my money. Also, what if agent doesn’t deposit check? What if agent says they never got check but tenant says they paid them? It’s just more bullshit I don’t need. That’s just my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt I guess.

Now going back to the rental in another state, we absolutely had a property manager to keep an eye on the property. If there was a problem they look at it and then relayed an opinion on options to rectify. I already knew the problem though because the tenant already informed me. So now the agent is earning the money I pay them to assist in the task of fixing the problem. If I didn’t agree with the agents opinion I still got on a plane and went there. It’s the cost of business because that’s what this is. This is a lot of your money that you’re dealing with.

#134 4 years ago

Btw, I agree that a property manager can be good and accept rent or whatever if your dealing with multiple properties or multi units. Curiousgeorge originally asked about his sisters house so I thought it was unnecessary for a manager being paid to learn how to do this. They need to learn themselves also. Plus I wouldn’t trust someone’s opinion who hasn’t been around the block so to speak with my money. Just trying to look out for their interests

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JayDee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-landlords-here-please-post-tips-and-stories?tu=JayDee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.