(Topic ID: 257270)

Any Knife Enthusiasts or Collectors here?

By RTR

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by avspin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Any Knife Enthusiasts or Collectors here? ”

• This is a really sharp topic! 14 votes
    45%
  • Nope, too dull for Pinside! 8 votes
    26%
  • What's an EDC? 9 votes
    29%

(31 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2019-12-30 10.57.51.jpg
2019-12-30 10.57.45.jpg
44FDA604-9721-432F-9135-D90AA607478F (resized).jpeg
957F0D78-C991-422A-9818-2D0D4FFFB0F0 (resized).jpeg
PC232113 (resized).JPG
PC232108 (resized).JPG
PC232105 (resized).JPG
PC232114 (resized).JPG
FECEC54E-CBB3-4A2B-9C7E-ABD8641F4F8E (resized).jpeg
stone (resized).png
D.stone (resized).png
2D111FE0-8428-4C70-B27F-280C0B0573C3 (resized).jpeg
20191223_072716 (resized).jpg
IMG_6265 (resized).JPG
Old Timer (resized).png
20191213_191508 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rtr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

There have been some other non-pinball collecting threads - I was wondering if there are any knife collectors on Pinside? Spyderco, Kershaw, Custom, Buck, Benchmade, James, William Henry, Esee, Tops ?

What is your EDC today? EDC = Every Day Carry (a knife you carry frequently)

2019-12-10 17.45.52 (resized).jpg2019-12-10 17.45.52 (resized).jpg

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I don't collect but got 2 guys I work with that were on that forged in steel, or whatever that show was. if anybody is looking for custom knives I can put you in touch with them. One guy won it, other guy got second I think.

My son is a hobbyist knife maker - nothing like those guys yet, but that's what he wants to do one day.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

I’ve got quite a few. I’ll click a pick and post. I’m into small or micro knives.

Do these little Spyderco's count as micro knives?
2019-12-10 18.53.24 (resized).jpg2019-12-10 18.53.24 (resized).jpg

#7 4 years ago

That Damascus pattern with circles, swirls and stars is SWEET!!!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

Digging the micro knives.
Can you tell me anything about them? Age etc.

The tiny Spyderco's are not old, you can get them on Amazon for about $16. Can find them on eBay a little cheaper, called Spyderco Bug. All stainless, kind of a keychain knife.

SPECIFICATIONS - Closed Length: 1.63", Overall Length: 2.9", Blade Length.27" Blade Steel: 3Cr Grind Full-Flat

#12 4 years ago

I have no idea how that emoji got into ^^^^ that post. I copied and pasted the specs from amazon?

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

I bought the John Wick set from micro tech More as a collectible than EDC. But my Benchmade OTF is my EDC knife.

Uh, I think we are gonna need pics of the John Wick Microtech knives!

#33 4 years ago

I noticed the poll shows 5 votes for "What's an EDC?" - For those who don't know, it stands for Every Day Carry - the knife you carry as part of your normal gear every day. It sometimes changes for your activity.

I have different EDC's depending on whether I am hiking, hunting, fishing, opening Christmas presents, etc.

#51 4 years ago

My 3 favorite Benchmade EDCs - Northfork wooden scales are always classy - sort of my dressing' up knife, Blaze Orange Griptillian for hiking (can't drop it and lose it), and then my all around fave the Osborne with carbon fiber handles 2.5 oz and so slim you don't even know its in your pocket. All 3 have the AXIS locking system which is awesome for locking as well as closing the knife.

2019-12-12 10.50.46 (resized).jpg2019-12-12 10.50.46 (resized).jpg

#52 4 years ago

I should have cleaned that booger off my Osborne before the photo......

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I'm not yet. But after this past weekends auction buys, I might be.[quoted image]

Just realized that dirkdiggler bought two knives that could be considered Dirks!

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

So for the newly initiated, what is a good knife to start with? Nothing terribly expensive, but small, sharp and unnoticeable in the pocket? Anything <$50? <$100?

You don't have to spend a lot to get a good knife, this Gerber DPSF (Drop Point Sheepsfoot) is a newer take on one of their older models - the EZ Out 450 - and I think its an awesome knife. Great steel, lightweight, decent lock, and opens and closes easily with one hand. $55ish new or 25-30 on eBay in decent shape. I love this knife and so does my wife - she has her own.

2019-12-12 12.14.15 (resized).jpg2019-12-12 12.14.15 (resized).jpg2019-12-12 12.14.06 (resized).jpg2019-12-12 12.14.06 (resized).jpg

#61 4 years ago

I'm an REI fan, but the on hand selection is pretty limited. If you are careful you can find great deals on knives on eBay. I buy and sell there a good bit.

For a really wide selection of new knives I like Smoky Mountain Knifeworks - https://www.smkw.com

We hike in the Smoky Mountains several times a year and no trip is complete without a stop at that knife store - it is HUGE and is like a free knife museum.

#70 4 years ago

I like that ESEE bigd1979 - I have one very similar. Built like a tank.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You must have forgot Lloyd. You loaned it to me the last time I put my feet up on the counter![quoted image]

We need to hear more of this story....

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

I keep these two with me on the job. Both received during active duty. Duane Dieter MOD and Gerber.[quoted image]

That Dieter is some serious hardware! Big fan of the MP600 too.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I've always been fascinated by automatic knives. I guess it's a mixture of forbidden fruit and cool mechanical mechanisms. Managed to pick up a few over the years when I could.

I buy knives at auction, estate sales, and other places and I wind up with a bunch of auto knives. eBay won't allow them to be sold on the site and they police it pretty harshly.

It's kind of a dumb rule really. They are legal in most states now and most of the assisted open knives are just as fast the autos.

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Anyone own an Infidel by Benchmade?

No, but I have a Microtech Combat Troodon that is similar. Terrible pic.

IMG_6265 (resized).JPGIMG_6265 (resized).JPG

#110 4 years ago

I'm a fan of almost anything that helps you hold the correct angle. My son uses a Wicked Edge Pro sharpener. It cost around $1000 but he makes really nice knives, so its worth it for him. Especially since he has to put the edge on knives where there is no edge.

I can get what I need from a low end Lansky sharpening kit for around $50. All I am doing is touching up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rtr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-knife-collectors-here-?tu=rtr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.