(Topic ID: 257270)

Any Knife Enthusiasts or Collectors here?

By RTR

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by avspin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Any Knife Enthusiasts or Collectors here? ”

• This is a really sharp topic! 14 votes
    45%
  • Nope, too dull for Pinside! 8 votes
    26%
  • What's an EDC? 9 votes
    29%

(31 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2019-12-30 10.57.51.jpg
2019-12-30 10.57.45.jpg
44FDA604-9721-432F-9135-D90AA607478F (resized).jpeg
957F0D78-C991-422A-9818-2D0D4FFFB0F0 (resized).jpeg
PC232113 (resized).JPG
PC232108 (resized).JPG
PC232105 (resized).JPG
PC232114 (resized).JPG
FECEC54E-CBB3-4A2B-9C7E-ABD8641F4F8E (resized).jpeg
stone (resized).png
D.stone (resized).png
2D111FE0-8428-4C70-B27F-280C0B0573C3 (resized).jpeg
20191223_072716 (resized).jpg
IMG_6265 (resized).JPG
Old Timer (resized).png
20191213_191508 (resized).jpg

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 2 years ago

My 3 favorite Benchmade EDCs - Northfork wooden scales are always classy - sort of my dressing' up knife, Blaze Orange Griptillian for hiking (can't drop it and lose it), and then my all around fave the Osborne with carbon fiber handles 2.5 oz and so slim you don't even know its in your pocket. All 3 have the AXIS locking system which is awesome for locking as well as closing the knife.

2019-12-12 10.50.46 (resized).jpg

#52 2 years ago

I should have cleaned that booger off my Osborne before the photo......

#53 2 years ago

I don’t have a lot of high end knives but I’m always on the look out for deals! Here’s a recent find that blew my mind. Original NIB Emerson serial number 8

26F5916A-9C43-4520-B9B0-5A683CB7C03D (resized).jpegB703A90F-EA46-4295-B4E4-F1EA15045357 (resized).jpeg
#54 2 years ago

That blade looks nice, like the shape and it has a lot of functionality.

#55 2 years ago

So for the newly initiated, what is a good knife to start with? Nothing terribly expensive, but small, sharp and unnoticeable in the pocket? Anything <$50? <$100?

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I'm not yet. But after this past weekends auction buys, I might be.[quoted image]

Just realized that dirkdiggler bought two knives that could be considered Dirks!

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

So for the newly initiated, what is a good knife to start with? Nothing terribly expensive, but small, sharp and unnoticeable in the pocket? Anything &lt;$50? &lt;$100?

You can never go wrong with any of these, quality build and will hold a good edge. Case, Hen-n-Rooster, Kissing Cranes are very well made.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

So for the newly initiated, what is a good knife to start with? Nothing terribly expensive, but small, sharp and unnoticeable in the pocket? Anything &lt;$50? &lt;$100?

You don't have to spend a lot to get a good knife, this Gerber DPSF (Drop Point Sheepsfoot) is a newer take on one of their older models - the EZ Out 450 - and I think its an awesome knife. Great steel, lightweight, decent lock, and opens and closes easily with one hand. $55ish new or 25-30 on eBay in decent shape. I love this knife and so does my wife - she has her own.

2019-12-12 12.14.15 (resized).jpg2019-12-12 12.14.06 (resized).jpg

#59 2 years ago

Yes I have a few Gerbers and they are well made and reasonably priced.

#60 2 years ago

Do you have a preferred website that you shop at? Or do you mostly go to a local store? I'm not even sure where to look for a pocket knife. We have a Cabelas, REI, Fleet Farm, Farm and Fleet, Menards?

#61 2 years ago

I'm an REI fan, but the on hand selection is pretty limited. If you are careful you can find great deals on knives on eBay. I buy and sell there a good bit.

For a really wide selection of new knives I like Smoky Mountain Knifeworks - https://www.smkw.com

We hike in the Smoky Mountains several times a year and no trip is complete without a stop at that knife store - it is HUGE and is like a free knife museum.

#62 2 years ago

We have a couple of local knife and gun stores I buy from as well as the makers web sites. RTR is correct, you can get "some" good deals on ebay but you have to do your diligence in looking closely at them.

#63 2 years ago

I grew up in a time when all boys carried a pocket knife and used it regularly for everything from playing mumbletypeg or stretch to carving sticks into spears, making tinder to build a fire, or just fidgeting with. That habit carries on to this day. I constantly tell my boys a knifeless man is a lifeless man, but they never listen. I wish I had a nickel for every time they wanted to open a package from Amazon and asked me "dad can I borrow your knife"?

My usual EDC is an Emerson CQC8. Razor sharp, strong enough for anything, and able to do anything I require of it. I alternate between that and a Spyderco Military. But I've accumulated about 50 knives of all makes and models which I will rotate into the schedule depending on where I am going or what I am wearing.

I've learned NOT to use the pocket clip for carry since it will cause you to be targeted by security in certain locales. If its in the pocket and unseen, nobody bothers you.

Emerson (resized).jpg
#64 2 years ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

Lloyd:

Where was your dads arcade located? Is it the same today?

Rifle Sport. Originally at 812 Hennepin Ave, downtown Minneapolis, MN. Moved in 1970 to upstairs at 612 Hennepin ave. ( that was the crazy era I wrote about ) I worked for him until September 1972. It was there until his death in 1981. Long gone now.

LTG : )

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Do you have a preferred website that you shop at? Or do you mostly go to a local store? I'm not even sure where to look for a pocket knife. We have a Cabelas, REI, Fleet Farm, Farm and Fleet, Menards?

Believe it or not, Walmart usually has a nice selection of knives at fair prices. A lot of times they are on clearance too. You want the knives that are in sporting goods behind the cases, not the knives that are out for anyone to purchase without an associate. My current Gerber EDC was around $65 and I picked it up on clearance as a display model for $20.

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Believe it or not, Walmart usually has a nice selection of knives at fair prices. A lot of times they are on clearance too. You want the knives that are in sporting goods behind the cases, not the knives that are out for anyone to purchase without an associate. My current Gerber EDC was around $65 and I picked it up on clearance as a display model for $20.

I would have never thought. I'll have to take a look the next time I'm there. I would assume most outdoorsy stores would carry a selection of some knives.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I don’t think so.... It appears none of Jacks knives are made up of foam core, and they are actually functional. They also appear to be complete and ready to use.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/problem-with-jack-crain-knives.626931/

#68 2 years ago

Here's a few of mine...20191212_190447 (resized).jpg20191212_190402 (resized).jpg

#69 2 years ago

Oh man, he just might be the knife world's JPop!

Is this one of his foamcore mockups?

pasted_image (resized).png
#70 2 years ago

I like that ESEE bigd1979 - I have one very similar. Built like a tank.

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I like that ESEE bigd1979 - I have one very similar. Built like a tank.

Yes ..it probably my favorite overall... it was little pricey but build very very well.

#72 2 years ago

I love my two Gerbers for regular usage. My Blue Tang Titanium is a great dive knife, or just for drinking in general
2D31012A-3344-48A3-AAB9-E0C36B59E1AF (resized).jpeg

#73 2 years ago

I saw these at an antic shop in CZ. Eerie yet interesting

20180710_105653 (resized).jpg20180710_105724 (resized).jpg
#74 2 years ago

Amazon always has deals on Kershaws this time of year. Love my American made Ken Onion Blur.

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I love my two Gerbers for regular usage. My Blue Tang Titanium is a great dive knife, or just for drinking in general
[quoted image]

What's the specific Gerber on the right? Looks great!

#77 2 years ago

I forget I carry a knife with me everytime I leave the house. I bought a collapsible baton to keep in the car also. Wife thinks I'm going to end up in jail but better to have something to protect myself if needed. Weekly shootings, robberies, attempted abductuons. It's getting pretty rough in the crime capital of Canada.
20191212_205143.jpg20191212_205233.jpg

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Kershaws are solid entry level for the money. You'll get some more snooty guys turning their noses up at the Chinese steel in some of the cheaper knives, but they're fine for entry level.

If you want an affordable knife that's also cool, I'd recommend looking into Opinel: https://www.opinel-usa.com/

opinel-coffret-bois-10-ctx-183102-size-cm-large[1] (resized).jpg
#79 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I has a switch blade years ago. No idea what became of it. I miss it.

You must have forgot Lloyd. You loaned it to me the last time I put my feet up on the counter!

5DC10656-C577-4C08-BB6B-26CBF92C69BF (resized).jpeg
#80 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You must have forgot Lloyd. You loaned it to me the last time I put my feet up on the counter![quoted image]

We need to hear more of this story....

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Just know when LTG says don’t feed Prada he Means it! Lol

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

What's the specific Gerber on the right? Looks great!

Thanks. Gerber Remix.

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Not much to tell. Some people don't listen. Or piss of the wrong person. They become knife blocks.

#84 2 years ago

The two edge knife in my pictures that says Nato Military is a switch blade. The blade shoots straight out and retracts the same way.

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I’d be very interested in some direction on how to sharpen a knife.

I spent an afternoon with this fella learning to make an edge sharp enough to shave with. He's considered the best in my area and most of the high end chefs in the province regularly send their knives to him.

https://www.knifeplanet.net/knife-sharpening-school-online-course/

#86 2 years ago

I keep these two with me on the job. Both received during active duty. Duane Dieter MOD and Gerber.

70E2536C-43D2-4C27-84D7-553716505B3D.jpeg
#87 2 years ago
Quoted from trevorm:

I spent an afternoon with this fella learning to make an edge sharp enough to shave with. He's considered the best in my area and most of the high end chefs in the province regularly send their knives to him.
https://www.knifeplanet.net/knife-sharpening-school-online-course/

Thanks (or no thanks lol) for this link. I fell into this black hole of knives, sharpening etc. Now I sorely need to upgrade my everyday kitchen knife! lol

#88 2 years ago
image (resized).jpg
#89 2 years ago

Never had a need for anything more than a steak knife, but man I used to watch the shit out of these idiots at 3am:

#90 2 years ago

Still like it even though it’s fake.

15CF2C57-0600-4244-958E-497C33B7B4B8 (resized).jpeg
#91 2 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

I keep these two with me on the job. Both received during active duty. Duane Dieter MOD and Gerber.[quoted image]

That Dieter is some serious hardware! Big fan of the MP600 too.

#92 2 years ago

Have several knives, daggers and swords I used to collect. And this, but it doesn’t fit in my pocket...

7CA6CA1E-E82C-486A-96FC-D2A6220555BF (resized).jpeg
#93 2 years ago

Mikov and Microtech automatics are fun

20191213_175947 (resized).jpg
#94 2 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Have several knives, daggers and swords I used to collect. And this, but it doesn’t fit in my pocket...[quoted image]

I think you have Crocodile Dundee beat with that beast

#95 2 years ago

A few minis. I believe that my grandmother got the 2 on the right at the 1939 World's Fair

20191213_191508 (resized).jpg
#96 2 years ago

I carry this when I carry in a sheath. I like the fact that the thickness of the blade ensures it will not break when it hits bone; combine this with the fact it holds a razor sharp edge (due to being a skinning knife) it will do a lot of damage.

Old Timer (resized).png
#97 2 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

A few minis. I believe that my grandmother got the 2 on the right at the 1939 World's Fair

I'd like to have the one that has the USS Massachusetts on it. I like the business advertisement, history, or political ad knives that are produced.

#98 2 years ago

I've always been fascinated by automatic knives. I guess it's a mixture of forbidden fruit and cool mechanical mechanisms. Managed to pick up a few over the years when I could.

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I've always been fascinated by automatic knives. I guess it's a mixture of forbidden fruit and cool mechanical mechanisms. Managed to pick up a few over the years when I could.

I buy knives at auction, estate sales, and other places and I wind up with a bunch of auto knives. eBay won't allow them to be sold on the site and they police it pretty harshly.

It's kind of a dumb rule really. They are legal in most states now and most of the assisted open knives are just as fast the autos.

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I buy knives at auction, estate sales, and other places and I wind up with a bunch of auto knives. eBay won't allow them to be sold on the site and they police it pretty harshly.

It's kind of a dumb rule really. They are legal in most states now and most of the assisted open knives are just as fast the autos.

If you ever have some inexpensive ones that you want to get rid of, send me a PM. I have always wanted one.

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!