(Topic ID: 231867)

Any iPhone/Macintosh guru's hanging around here?

By cottonm4

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DBLM
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 9.29.34 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 9.30.39 AM (resized).png

#1 5 years ago

I figure Pinside might the be place to find someone who knows iPhone/Mac idiosyncrasies inside out.

I need some advise. I just bought a new iPhone SE and and Apple is not playing nice and is trying to toss me into the forced computer upgrade cycle. I like my Macs, but sometimes. Apple's sneaky ways of jacking with you really piss me off.

If any experts chime in I'll lay out the problem.

Thanks.

#2 5 years ago

Can you explain more of the issue that you are having?

#3 5 years ago

Need more details

#4 5 years ago

My hunch is that his Mac is not capable of running a current enough version of iTunes to be able to sync with the new iPhone.

#5 5 years ago

You don't really need iTunes anymore, except to sync your own ripped music.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

My hunch is that his Mac is not capable of running a current enough version of iTunes to be able to sync with the new iPhone.

In most cases, you do not need iTunes to synch music, even with the SE https://www.imobie.com/support/how-to-add-music-to-iphone-se.htm.

The SE is fairly low-level in its needs, so curious to see what the challenge is.

#7 5 years ago

You do need iTunes if you want a local backup. I believe in maintaining a chain of custody for my data, and so do not back up to iCloud. Further, an iCloud restoration is excruciatingly slow.

#8 5 years ago

The SE shipped with iOS 11, so you will need at least iTunes 12.5 on Mac OS X 10.9.x or later.

#9 5 years ago

You can usually hack a Mac to run a version of the macOS to run on slightly older machines.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

You do need iTunes if you want a local backup. I believe in maintaining a chain of custody for my data, and so do not back up to iCloud. Further, an iCloud restoration is excruciatingly slow.

Second that an iTunes backup is a must, as yes iCloud restores are awful. I couldn’t imagine restoring my iPhone XS 512GB using iCloud, would take a week even on my fiber connection. The speed problem with iCloud is apple and their iCloud restore process.

#11 5 years ago

BTW want to not have Mac problems, run iOS 12 and/or Mac OS High Sierra/Mojave on real apple hardware. If you don’t then have a good reason not to and be able to deal with the issues.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

You can usually hack a Mac to run a version of the macOS to run on slightly older machines.

I used to use a utility called "Wish I Were” to run early betas of the first OS X on my Power Macintosh 9600. Even though the 604e processor was more capable than the early G3s Apple was shipping at the time, the performance was really terrible. The OS just wasn’t optimized for it. Hence the minimum system requirements.

#13 5 years ago

Thanks for all your responses. I'll lay it out.

(The short question is down below)

Prolog ) I used to have an iMac Bondi 233. I had a G3. I have two door G4 door stops that are still in working condition. I have a Power PC G5 in storage at my girl friend's house. I also have a 2008 MacBook. I use Pee Cees regularly but I like Macs.

Item #1) my current squeeze is a 2006 Mac Pro running OS 10.7.5. Yes, I know, in computer terms it is a dinosaur, but so are alligators. Alligators still live and this Mac still works. For me, this '06 Pro does all I need. It is fast enough. But I know that Apple wants me to brick it (If you need to reinstall OS 10.7 Lion, you have to roll back the computer clock to 2005 to make it seem like the computer is less than 10 years old).

Item #2) I have a 4S iPhone. It still does what it is supposed to do. I have transferred 100s, if not 1000s of pictures, from the 4S to the '06 Mac Pro.

Item #3A) I use Total Wireless as my phone carrier. I bought a new iPhone SE from Total Wireless. This is where it starts getting interesting. I unbox the the new SE, get the battery charged and see what it can do with wi-fi only as a source of connection.
    The short story is I could do all I needed to do except talk and text. I took three different groups of photos and three different times, uploaded from the SE to the '06 Mac Pro with Apple's own iPhoto app. Everything worked famously. It iPhone SE work just like any standard camera as far as connecting to the 2006 Mac Pro.

Item #3B) On the 2nd day of ownership, I was satisfied enough with the SE that I called my phone carrier and we proceeded to deactivate the 4S and activate the SE. The 4s is now a brick and I am enjoying the SE asa phone. All was well---until I made moves to transfer some pics to iPhoto. Photo transfers from the SE to the 2006 Mac Pro will not work. Apple does not tell me this in so many works. Rather, Apple offers up these sneaky little messages that tells you that you need to do something this Apple has made impossible to do.

I keep my 2008 MacBook, running El Capitan, at my girlfriends. Over the weekend I tried to transfer pic from the SE to the MacBook. The SE made the pictures transfer with out issue.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Question: What options do I have to get my new iPhone SE to transfer pictures to my 2006 Mac Pro? Yeah, I know; Get a new computer. But other than that.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My past experiences of Apple pulling the sneaky crap on me.

1) Apple said that an iMac Bondi Blue 233 could run Mac OSX. I bought OSX. The iMac could not run OSX.

2) I got caught in the G3 firmware trap that was a deliberate slow down of the G3 Mac by Apple.

3) I have been running with 3 monitors, starting with my G4 in 2002. I bought the 2006 Mac Pro used in 2011. it arrived with the ATI 3-head video card and I transferred my 3-monitor setup to the Mac Pro. Due to some new circuitry, I had to buy two active DVI-to-mini DVI adaptors. I was running OS 10.6 Leopard and the 3 monitors were working well.

Sometime in 2011, Apple came out with a firmware update, and g-damn, wouldn't you know, Apple killed my 3rd monitor. A search of Apple's support pages said that the 2006-2009 Mac Pros were not able to support 3 monitors on one ATI card. Well, I had been running 3 monitors so I knew this was Apple bullshit. To get my 3rd monitor back I had the option of buying of buying a 2010 Mac Pro or buying a 2nd ATI video card. I bought the 2nd video card.

#14 5 years ago

I think you are SOL. Even with the low end requirements of the SEyou need to run at least Mavericks, which does not support your 2006 (requirements below).

Outside of buying a new computer, you could look at some cloud syncing software or backup software to synchronize your 2008 computer to your 2006 computer.

OS X Mavericks system requirements
    Learn about the system requirements for OS X Mavericks v10.9.

This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple.
    To install Mavericks, you need one of these Macs:
    iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
    MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later)
    MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)
    MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
    Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)
    Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
    Xserve (Early 2009)
    Your Mac also needs:
    OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed
    2 GB or more of memory
    8 GB or more of available space (Learn how to increase disk space)

#15 5 years ago

Holy shit what an ancient cluster of stuff and you wanna blame Apple. Dude you are way past Apple deemed “vintage” and “obsolete”. Staying modern is such a more enjoyable way to live with technology. Imagine using a 2009 version of Pinside yeah it would “work” but would be a modern disaster. I love my iPhone XS 512GB, pictures are incredible. Syncs perfectly with my MBP running Mojave.

Now I have a collection of Apple stuff I have setup for fun (Apple II, Apple lampshade iMac, Cheesegrater G5, cinema displays, Quadras, etc) but it’s for fun, not to actually use for anything important.

#16 5 years ago

Honestly, Grab a copy of Windows 7 and install bootcamp on that 2006 Mac Pro. The computer is beyond capable, and it's not like 1998 where a 10 year old computer is unusuable.

The latest version of iTunes will run fine and you should be able to do your backups.

MacOS is losing its competitive advantage now that computer capability is leveling off and they know it.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

....I took three different groups of photos and three different times, uploaded from the SE to the '06 Mac Pro with Apple's own iPhoto app. Everything worked famously...

...Photo transfers from the SE to the 2006 Mac Pro will not work...

Re-reading this, the one thing I don't understand is that the upload worked before he got the cell service turned on. OP, what changed in the day from when you were uploading your pics to you turning on your phone service that prevents you from uploading your pics?

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Re-reading this, the one thing I don't understand is that the upload worked before he got the cell service turned on. OP, what changed in the day from when you were uploading your pics to you turning on your phone service that prevents you from uploading your pics?

Nothing changed other than I had the phone activated.

To illustrate, say I went to the local big box store and bought an iPhone SE and also bought a Cannon camera and brought them home. And I brought both of them home. And I took all sorts of pics with both units and transferred them from the iPhone and also transferred pics from the Cannon.

And then one day 2, I have the SE activated. And I can still transfer pics from the Cannon. And after that activation when I hook up the iPhone to the Mac, I get this:

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 9.30.39 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-12-18 at 9.30.39 AM (resized).png

The problem is that "warning" pops up first thing and the iPhone SE has already past the point to where you can log in. Apple is not polite about it and does not say, "Gee, we are sorry. We have deemed that your computer is too old to use and you need to upgrade." Instead, Apple leaves you to waste your time figuring out that things are just not gonna work. And this is why I call BS to this because the SE DID WORK out of the box until Apple "broke" it.

The hell of it is that if I would have bought an Android phone it would still be working after activation.

Here is the other Apple sneaky: I bought the the OS 10.7 installer online and more importantly, I saved it. In 2017, I needed to wipe a partition and reinstall OS 10.7. This is what I got:

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 9.29.34 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-12-18 at 9.29.34 AM (resized).png

And I am thinking WHAT !!??. And then I had an Ah Ha moment. I said to my self, " I bet Apple "time bombed" the installer. So, I changed my 2006 Mac Pro's computer's clock to some date in 2015 which showed the computer was less than 10 years old and the installer worked fine.

I used to be an Apple fan-boy where Apple could do no wrong and then I wised up and realized Apple a corporate miscreant that likes to sneak down the alley with the best of the corporations.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from slicknick13:

Honestly, Grab a copy of Windows 7 and install bootcamp on that 2006 Mac Pro. The computer is beyond capable, and it's not like 1998 where a 10 year old computer is unusuable.
    The latest version of iTunes will run fine and you should be able to do your backups.
    MacOS is losing its competitive advantage now that computer capability is leveling off and they know it.

You know, I might do that. That would work. And understanding how Apple operates, I'd be willing to bet that this new SE iPhone would probably work on Win 95.

Quoted from slicknick13:

Exactly. The computer speed races pretty much topped in 2006-2007.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Holy shit what an ancient cluster of stuff and you wanna blame Apple. Dude you are way past Apple deemed “vintage” and “obsolete”. Staying modern is such a more enjoyable way to live with technology. Imagine using a 2009 version of Pinside yeah it would “work” but would be a modern disaster. I love my iPhone XS 512GB, pictures are incredible. Syncs perfectly with my MBP running Mojave.
    Now I have a collection of Apple stuff I have setup for fun (Apple II, Apple lampshade iMac, Cheesegrater G5, cinema displays, Quadras, etc) but it’s for fun, not to actually use for anything important.

What I already have is working good enough. Instead of feeding Apple's monkey, I just finished buying $300.00 worth of LEDs for some of my pins. I need to make an order with Great Plains Electronics that will be at least $70.00. I still need to buy some other items from Pinball Life that will tally up to at least $100.00. I still have to go to PBR and spend about $100.00 on more parts I need. And I just bought $200.00 worth of used parts that are shipping in.

I can feed Apple or I can buy pinball parts. An older cell phone and an old computer still work fine. It is not cheap to full tilt restore a pin and it is not cheap to build a pin. I'm doing both. Apple loses.

#21 5 years ago

For your image import this is not a problem. When you activated your phone, you probably set the option for a passcode. When you plugged your phone into the computer, you are are getting the message from your picture. It is asking you to put in your passcode on your phone to validate who you are and your connection. You can always get rid of the passcode in your settings. Try that and see if that helps you.

#22 5 years ago

As for using older versions of software, check out this article below. It shows you how to download Lion from the store since you paid for it. I think that this is less of a think where Apple is trying to screw with you and more of a case where your older gear can only be updated so far. Lion was released in 2011 and has been sunset--hence the reason that you rain into the issues that your did.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/download-old-os-x-3629363/

#23 5 years ago

You can use a PC and transfer pictures/music etc from an iPhone. However there was a windows version having a bug with doing a full backup of a iphone...ran into that one at work.

EDIT: I see you talked about doing the bootcamp above.

Apple does force certain iOS and computer OS levels to maintain certain features. If you look, iPhoto is gone, replaced by Photos. Things like this are why you are forced to certain levels. There are plenty of options though. You can sync to a PC, you can run bootcamp or a Virtual machine on your mac, you can use a wireless NAS of sorts to take a sync at home, you can do a hard wired backup of files. But apple is not the only one to force this level of os, Windows does this too, hell even linux kernel things.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

For your image import this is not a problem. When you activated your phone, you probably set the option for a passcode. When you plugged your phone into the computer, you are are getting the message from your picture. It is asking you to put in your passcode on your phone to validate who you are and your connection. You can always get rid of the passcode in your settings. Try that and see if that helps you.

I turned off Passcode last night. It made no difference. I still got all of the same error messages. Tonight, the SE will not even attempt to open iPhoto in any config. Beats me.

Quoted from DBLM:

As for using older versions of software, check out this article below. It shows you how to download Lion from the store since you paid for it. I think that this is less of a think where Apple is trying to screw with you and more of a case where your older gear can only be updated so far. Lion was released in 2011 and has been sunset--hence the reason that you rain into the issues that your did.
    https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/download-old-os-x-3629363/

That's a nice link. Thanks for sharing. The App Store shows where I bought 10.7 Lion.

I understand the older gear can only go so far. I only upgraded from the G4 to the Mac Pro because everything I was encountering in the internet was moving beyond the G4 and I had to "upgrade". I feel it now with 2006 Mac Pro; Movies on youtube don't work as well, anymore. The movies on CNN don't work at all (which I do not mind ).

I'll mess around with this as time allows. In meantime, I'll keep my 4S handy for picture taking.

Thanks everybody.

#25 5 years ago

What specific error messages are you getting? Based upon that I can try to help you out. Otherwise, keep in mind you have Genius Bar help from Apple (in person and virtual). They can probably help you out as well. https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=psp&PRKEYS=PL133

#26 5 years ago

Good advice here.

I don't have as many iOS and Mac devices as you but I do have an old Powerbook G3 with no USB ports that I wanted get some old files off of. It has a MacAlly USB PC card that I used to use but the card isn't working with the current USB flash drives that I plugged into the card. Even the Powerbook hard drive is SCSI which means I'd need an SCSI hard drive case to copy from it. The built in modem is the old baud modem and the software is too old to connect to internet.

I gave up for the time being.

#27 5 years ago

I also have an SE and use Total Wireless. My macs are newer, so I don't have your problem with Photos, but one thing you might consider is downloading the Google photos app to your SE. Then you can set it up to automatically backup any photos you've taken to google, which gives you unlimited storage if you set up a gmail/google account. I've recommended that for the 40ish full time staff at the church/school where I'm the IT guy, as it protects all of their photos in case they're not good about connecting their phones to their computers and backing things up. If you wanted the photos in your iPhotos program, you could pull them off of the google cloud and onto your Mac without having to connect your phone to the computer.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from thespiderman:

I also have an SE and use Total Wireless. My macs are newer, so I don't have your problem with Photos, but one thing you might consider is downloading the Google photos app to your SE. Then you can set it up to automatically backup any photos you've taken to google, which gives you unlimited storage if you set up a gmail/google account. I've recommended that for the 40ish full time staff at the church/school where I'm the IT guy, as it protects all of their photos in case they're not good about connecting their phones to their computers and backing things up. If you wanted the photos in your iPhotos program, you could pull them off of the google cloud and onto your Mac without having to connect your phone to the computer.

Thank you.

That worked. Half way. I already have a gmail account. I got the Google app and watched as Google sucked all of my photos from the SE and pretty much made the pics Google's Own. These are not important pics so Google can get its eyes full. No worries.

I can now access all my photos on my computer. This is pretty handy. Better than what Apple has for me.

** What I can't figure out is how to delete a group of photos in one fell swoop. At this time I can only manage to delete them one at a time and that is too slow of a process.

How do you handle it for a batch delete ?

Thanks again.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I turned off Passcode last night. It made no difference. I still got all of the same error messages. Tonight, the SE will not even attempt to open iPhoto in any config. Beats me.

Have you tried the Image Capture app? I used it because I like to manually organize my photos.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

Have you tried the Image Capture app? I used it because I like to manually organize my photos.

No, have not.

I'll be back in a couple of days. I caught the flu.

1 week later
    #31 5 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

Quoted from cottonm4:

No, have not.
    I'll be back in a couple of days. I caught the flu.

Sorry. I was out with the flu for 5 days, got better and got busy.

I don't know what Image Capture would do for me so I have not downloaded it to me iPhone, yet.

The Google Photos app works. It works almost too good at sucking the pics from my iPhone. It feels greedy to me. And I can open the Google Photos on my 10.7.5 Mac. The photos are great.

But now Google has taken control. It is like Google is saying, " Yeah, they are your pics, dude, but now WE own them and there is not a damn thing you can do about it. So quit whining."

I can't just download the pic from Google's website to my Mac; I can't just drag MY pic from Google's website and drag it to my Mac.

Oh, I can drag it alright, but Google will only allow me to drag it as a webpage inside of a browser. I cannot open it in Preview. So, if I want to get this picture into my iPhoto program I have to take a screen shot of the damn thing.

I have resorted to emailing the pics I need to myself and opening the emailer on my Mac. It is not as clean as just plugging into the Mac for a cable transfer, but it works.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Sorry. I was out with the flu for 5 days, got better and got busy.
    I don't know what Image Capture would do for me so I have not downloaded it to me iPhone, yet.

Image Capture is a laptop app that lets you plug your phone in and choose what photos you want to download.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

Image Capture is a laptop app that lets you plug your phone in and choose what photos you want to download.

It's a beautiful thing. It's essentially a requirement to get anything done regarding image management, when plugging and iPhone or iPad in to the Mac.

I agree with others about maintaining a backup outside of iCloud. iCloud is for the lazy Mac user, not for the savy one.

Also, having an up to date version of iTunes is key. It is not just "a bad way to play music" any more, it's a required backup, diagnostic, and recovery tool for any iPad/iPhone user. I've managed a network of Macs/iPhones/iPads for quite a few years and am happy to make additional suggestions for any Mac users up against the wall on Pinside.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

Ok. I see. I can get Image Capture on my new iPhone SE, but that does not solve the issue with me not being able to connect the iPhone SE to my 10.7.5 Mac Pro. I have a 2009 Macbook that I keep at my girlfriend's house and the SE will connect to the Macbook. But it is there and I am here.

The whole gd issue is that the iPhone SE, out of the box, and unactivated would hook up and transfer pictures to my old 10.7.5 Mac Pro. And as soon as I activated the iPhone SE, it will no longer hookup---by design---- from Apple.

Another pinsider sent me a PM and showed me how to get pics by logging into iCloud. That works, just like the Google Photos app works except Google works better at doing this than Apple does. Both are cumbersome processes.

Emailing the pics to myself and opening the email on the computer is the least painful way of transferring my iPhone pics to my Mac.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

And as soon as I activated the iPhone SE, it will no longer hookup---by design---- from Apple.

This is the point that continues to confuse me. Why do you keep saying by design? The phone does not care if it has a data plan or not when it is trying to load the pictures to your photos app. If there was a version compatibility issue, it would have surfaced when you were able to synch when you were only on wifi. Activating the phone would not make any changes that should impact compatibility.

Can you post pics of the specific screens you are getting on the Mac and Phone? The one that you posted above was about entering the passcode on the phone. That has nothing to do with the version of SW you are using. You keep alluding to Apple playing tricks on you because of your older hardware. Apple does not allude. They will either tell you of a version incompatibility issue or it will just work. Apple is not subtle in the least.

Alternatively, reach out directly to Apple. Their tech support is great and they can walk you through things.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-iphone-macintosh-guru-s-hanging-around-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.