(Topic ID: 14576)

Any interest in plastc parts needed for DIY Tron Arcade Mod?

By docquest

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by dos_reboot
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LCD_Cabinet.jpg
    tronCabinetLaserCut.pdf (PDF preview)
    IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

I'm getting some plastics lasercut to build the updated version of the Tron arcade mod using Jeremy's graciously provided EPS files from the pinhacks site. He put these files there as well as an exhaustive parts list for anyone wanting to make their own Tron arcade mod instead of buying a prebuilt one from him.

He made the files to miminize the amount of waste on each sheet of plastic, so the smallest order using his files would be enough parts to make 16 tron arcade cabinets. I plan on only building 1 (or 2 if I screw it up) and providing the rest to anyone else who wants to build one themselves. The cost would be around $15-$20 shipped for all the plastics parts of the cabinet. This would not include any of the wiring, electrical connectors, LED's, or OLED screen. It would just be the plastic cabinet parts.

I already asked Jeremy if he was ok with me using his files to get the plastics made and then providing the extras to anyone else and he's cool with it.

For the non DIY types, he is still planning on at least one more batch of fully assembled complete mods in June. So if you are not confident in your wiring harness building or OLED screen programming you might want to get on his mailing list to get one of his prebuilt arcade mods.

Please PM me if you are interested in a set of the plastic parts. First come first serve. I submitted the order yesterday and according to their FAQ it could take anywhere form 4 days to 4 weeks to get it delivered.

Thanks

Brian

#2 12 years ago

I also ordered laser cut cabinets based off the tilts new cabinets.
    I will be offering them assembled once I receive the parts. Three of the completed cabinets are already spoken for. (Thanks)
    I have one OLED screen programmed here on my desk with more on the way. It is very cool thanks Eli for the code! I also cleared this with Jeremy.
    For the people that are going to make their own cabinets with the DIY cabinets from the above post. I will offer the OLED screen loaded with Eli’s code running the TRON code ready to put into your cab. $73 + 7 shipping for US cont. USPS priority mail insured.
    Mark

IMG_0014.jpgIMG_0014.jpg IMG_0015.jpgIMG_0015.jpg

#3 12 years ago

I'm interested in cabinet plastics

#4 12 years ago

I wish I would have noticed this post an hour a go Just downloaded Illustrator trial to have a look and registered at Pokono. Count me in on the plastics!

I did the original Tron mod and I've been aching to build one of these for a while now!

I'll send you a PM

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlooking:

I will be offering them assembled once I receive the parts.

PM sent. Thanks!

#7 12 years ago

Thanks to all those that responded. It looks like I have enough takers for the extra cabinets. Once they arrive I'll let everyone know how they look and fit and if there are any issues or not with the parts. Hopefully they won't take to long to get made. Thanks Brian

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from worldofglenn:

I wish I would have noticed this post an hour a go Just downloaded Illustrator trial to have a look and registered at Pokono. Count me in on the plastics!
    I did the original Tron mod and I've been aching to build one of these for a while now!
    I'll send you a PM

Ya I built a few originals, way interested in this new version!

I'm interested in a handful of sets.

#9 12 years ago

Just to clarify the cabinets I will be selling when the parts all get here will be complete.
    Just like Tilts Ver 2 based off his design and running Eli Tron code. Ready to install
    Thanks for the great response.

The other service I was offering was for people that bought the DIY kits from docquest.
    I would send out OLED screen loaded with Eli’s code running the TRON code ready to put into your cab. $73 + 7 shipping for US cont. USPS priority mail insured.
    Mark

#10 12 years ago

Thanks for the great response. ½ of the complet cabinets are presold.
    People have committed to buy them and their names put on a list so they know they will be getting one.

A few people have ordered just the loaded OLED screens and they are getting shipped out. I will have 20 more screens early next week.

#11 12 years ago

Thanks for the great response. ½ of the complet cabinets are presold.
    People have committed to buy them and their names put on a list so they know they will be getting one.
    A few people have ordered just the loaded OLED screens and they are getting shipped out. I will have 20 more screens early next week.

Woot! I'm in.. looks like there are only ~5 spots left

#12 12 years ago

PM'd

#13 12 years ago

Thanks.
    Sold out

#14 12 years ago

Will you be doing more later or is this it for you?

Thanks,
    Blair

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from bw1138:

Will you be doing more later or is this it for you?
    Thanks,
    Blair

I wanted to make one min Tron cab for my new TRON I have ordered. It is in the second run.
    I had to order 16 cabinets and lot of parts to make my own cab. After a make these I will have to decide if I want to make any more. I will have some parts left over because you have to order a hundred of some of the parts.
    Mark

#16 12 years ago

Thanks for doing this run, I know the maker of the original is backed up like crazy on these.. and for good reason, they look amazing! It was very kind of him to make the whole thing open-source.

- B

#17 12 years ago

If somebody is familiar with adobe illustrator (or similar program) they could edit the files that Jeremy has created so that it would only make 1 or 2 cabinets per set then people could just order their own one at a time. There would be more wasted plastic per sheet but this may be ok since the cost of cutting it is more than the material itself.

For example the 15"x15" sheet of clear acrylic costs $4.44 but ponoko charges $28 more to cut all the pieces out of it (enough for 70 cabinets worth of the 3 clear pieces). So if the EPS file was edited to the minimum 7"x7" size and only 2 cabinets worth of parts were cut out of it it might only cost $5 to $10. If someone did this than anyone who just wanted to order a single set of cabinet plastics could just do it themselves to avoid the logistical hassles of a group buy.

Ordering enough for 16 or more cabinets at a time is still the absolute cheapest way though.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

If somebody is familiar with adobe illustrator (or similar program) they could edit the files that Jeremy has created so that it would only make 1 or 2 cabinets per set then people could just order their own one at a time.

Not sure if this works, but here's a file with everything 2 up on a 7x7

#19 12 years ago

I think the other issue is some of the parts like the cable to program the screen was $22 screen $49 + $8.50 shipping. Paying shipping from a couple hands full of vendors adds up. Some of the items you need to buy hundreds of parts (But you might be able to sub them with something local)
    But I still think it will be rewarding to build one yourself.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

docquest said:If somebody is familiar with adobe illustrator (or similar program) they could edit the files that Jeremy has created so that it would only make 1 or 2 cabinets per set then people could just order their own one at a time.
    Not sure if this works, but here's a file with everything 2 up on a 7x7

Attachments tronCabinetLaserCut.pdf (358.2 KB, 1 downloads) 13 minutes old

That is pretty cool but I would think you would need to break it out by material.
    Some of the parts are different thickness and different colors.

#21 12 years ago

there are 4 different material you need so you need a separate sheet of material for each:
    black delrin plastic - 2.3 mm thick - majority of cabinet pieces
    clear acrylic plastic - 2.0 mm thick - screen cover, marquee, translight piece
    blue flourescent - 3 mm thick - only used for joystick
    purple acrylic plastic - 3 mm thick - only used for black light piece

There is also the base that the cabinet sits on, the exisitng files make one using black delrin, purple, and blue flourescent so you could add that peice to any of those sheets or not make it at all and use the existing base that comes from stern.

Since the sheet of flourescent blue is only used for the tiny joystick i though it would be could to make a platic sling shot protector on the same sheet. Since its flourescent it would glow along the edges once installed under the sling. You could make a blue one for the right side under the sam flynn side and a yellow or orange one under the clu sling on the left.

If anyone is unsure about programing the screen, it is very straightforward using the free software. (You just need the cable though). Although you might think you'd never use it again I've used mine a couple times already to tweak the code. You can do some custom stuff like put your initals on the high score table, add the name of your arcade on it, etc. Don't forgt that this is real video display so you could even play full video clips from the films if you wanted using the built in SD slot on the display.

If anyone was unsure about programming the display I will gladly program it for you for free if you just send me your display and include a postage paid package to send it back to you.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

If anyone is unsure about programing the screen, it is very straightforward using the free software. (You just need the cable though). Although you might think you'd never use it again I've used mine a couple times already to tweak the code. You can do some custom stuff like put your initals on the high score table, add the name of your arcade on it, etc. Don't forgt that this is real video display so you could even play full video clips from the films if you wanted using the built in SD slot on the display.

Have you thought about adding sound to it I think that would be cool.

I was not trying to make the programming the screen seem impossible. There are instructions on Tilts web side along with Elis code.

Thanks for all the interest all my cabs are all spoken for.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

Don't forgt that this is real video display so you could even play full video clips from the films if you wanted using the built in SD slot on the display.

You can add a 2Gig mem card to it. How does it play video? Some Tron movie clips would be outstanding on this thing.

http://www.4dsystems.com.au/developers/docs.php?cat=16&id=80
    Food for thought.
    I think TRON movie clips would be interesting. (Our processor is GOLDELOX-GFX2)
    http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=50

#24 12 years ago

The display manufacturer has a free utility (graphics composer 3) to upload videos and still pics to something the display could use but I've never tried it. According to the display datasheet there is a sound output and they provide a schematic on how to hook up a speaker to it.

An even cooler feature of this display is a joystick input. Someone much smarter than me might be able to figure how to actually program the display to play the actual tron video game on the mini-cabinet using an external joystick (or tie it into the flipper buttons?). That would be the ultimate video mode.

From page 6 of the display manual:

Multiple buttons or a multi-switch Joystick can be
    connected to the IO1 pin on the uOLED-128-
    G1(GFX) module. Up to 5 buttons or a 5 position
    multi-switch joystick connects to a junction of a
    resistor ladder network that forms a voltage
    divider. The A/D converter of the IO1 pin
    internally reads the analogue value and decodes it
    accordingly.

Full display manual can be found here:
    http://pub.ucpros.com/download/uOLED-128-G1GFX-DS-rev3.pdf

I'm surpised no ones tried to mod more of these types of screens into other games. I've seen numerous TV mods that dsiplay stills but why not video? You could have a TV in simpsons playing itchy and scratchy clips or a a TV in monster bash playing trailers from all the classics universal horror movies. These displays are only $30 - $50.

#25 12 years ago

Ya I whipped up a handful of screens in minutes. Just that cable for it was kind of pricey if you do just 1 screen. I wanted to keep making these though so I got my own cable.

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

I'm surpised no ones tried to mod more of these types of screens into other games. I've seen numerous TV mods that dsiplay stills but why not video? You could have a TV in Simpsons playing itchy and scratchy clips or a a TV in Monster Bash playing trailers from all the classics universal horror movies. These displays are only

Yes the link I provided above was to the graphics composer.
    I think these would be great ideas.
    I think TRON light cycle video would be very cool.

#27 12 years ago

docquest said:I'm surpised no ones tried to mod more of these types of screens into other games. I've seen numerous TV mods that dsiplay stills but why not video? You could have a TV in Simpsons playing itchy and scratchy clips or a a TV in Monster Bash playing trailers from all the classics universal horror movies. These displays are only
    Yes the link I provided above was to the graphics composer.
    I think these would be great ideas.
    I think TRON light cycle video would be very cool.

Ya the code is open, so editing and customization is all set to go...just need someone to do it. I haven't programmed in some years....but some old tron game animations then some bad ass legacy tron stuff would be amazing!

#28 12 years ago

The current code starts playing the video game attract mode screen at power up and just keeps looping it. I think playing videos is a whole different mode for the display. I wonder if there would be a way to have the display automatically toogle back and forth between the video mode and the drawing custom graphics mode? Or could you tie the input pins to an external button (or target on the playfield) to have it toggle between playing videos or running the attract mdoe code.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Ya the code is open, so editing and customization is all set to go...just need someone to do it. I haven't programmed in some years....but some old tron game animations then some bad ass legacy tron stuff would be amazing!

Yes I agree with you. We would have to add mem card but that is not a big deal.
    Has anyone used graphics composer?

#30 12 years ago

I think anything but the original video game in there would detract from the whole idea of the mod.. but to each their own!

#31 12 years ago

Check out their product page they seem to combine the modes ( but I am not sure).
    http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=84
    watch the video.

#32 12 years ago

northvibe said:Ya the code is open, so editing and customization is all set to go...just need someone to do it. I haven't programmed in some years....but some old tron game animations then some bad ass legacy tron stuff would be amazing!
    Yes I agree with you. We would have to add mem card but that is not a big deal.
    Has anyone used graphics composer?

How much memory is built into the oled? It would all depend on how big we made the video etc.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

How much memory is built into the oled? It would all depend on how big we made the video etc.

"10K bytes of flash memory for user code storage and 510 bytes of RAM for user variables (255 x 16bit vars)"
    "Display full colour images, animations, icons and video clips."

From what I read they pretty much used the onboard mem up

#34 12 years ago

If you had video clips you'd be using the SD card slot on the back of the display so memory for these is not an issue.

The provided tron code for the attract mode is about 60K though? How does that fit is onboard mem is only 10K?

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

The provided tron code for the attract mode is about 60K though? How does that fit is onboard mem is only 10K?

Yes that does not seem right to me either I pulled that from their web site.

#36 12 years ago

Stupid me, the 60k size is the human readable/editable ascii text file. When you dump it into the display it gets compiled and is quite a bit smaller.

#37 12 years ago

Can anyone do some Space Paranoids footage? I'm trying to figure out how to do something with the old cabinet. Maybe some space paranoids side art/marquee for the old cab as well.

#38 12 years ago

I don't need the LCD, my LE has the mod done already but im in 100% on the Tron cabinet

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from ctozzi:

I don't need the LCD, my LE has the mod done already but im in 100% on the Tron cabinet

I'm not sure the LCD from v1 will fit, the OLED screen is a different size which is why the mini-cab had to be redesigned in the first place. I mean I hope if fits! But I don't think it does.

#40 12 years ago

The OLED screen in the new mod has 4 tabs around the screen that will fit into precut slots on the sides of the cabinet. The original LCD doesn't have these tabs. The LCD is alo a smidgen smaller (1.44" diagonal vs 1.5") but I don't thnk that size difference would be very noticeable once it was all assembled. I think you could attach the old LCD to the clear plastic pieces that sits infront of the display using some clear packaging tape on the sides. Or if you didn't want to retrofit it in you could probably sell your v1 mode to someone for more than a new OLED screen would cost.

#41 12 years ago

shoot, ok well I guess i'm in on the full deal then. I really don't like the Tron cabinet from Stern. I can just sell the old one to recoup some of the $$

#42 12 years ago

There might be one other hiccup as well. The new screen uses a version of the attract mode code that is rotated 180 degrees. I think that was needed due to clearance around the connector pins behind it required the screen be physically rotated to fit in the cabinet. If you used your old screen you might need to reprogram it with the rotated code to fit as well.

#43 12 years ago

ok, thanks for the info.

1 week later
    #44 12 years ago

Just joined up here if anybody has questions about modding the code. Adding in extra stuff is tricky, since the current code eats up 97% of the storage, however if you removed the extra credits screen (which only displays very rarely) I'm pretty sure you could fit in code to play video clips along with the attract mode.

In theory you could do a controllable version, but in practice you'd probably need to cut out everything but a single mode in that case - there just isn't room for any game logic at this point.

Jeremy did do a recorded playback version of Discs of TRON if you were looking for something to put into your old cabinet. My guess is that would work better than the 3D shading in Space Paranoids.

The LCD version has an area the extends below the screen, so if it fits at all it will be in the normal orientation. I'm getting a couple of these cabinets, so I'll let everyone know how it fits.

EDIT: I remembered I have one of these and can just check, I'm as sure as I can be without disassembling it that the old LCD will fit in the new cabinet just fine. It will still need to be glued in or something.

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

In theory you could do a controllable version, but in practice you'd probably need to cut out everything but a single mode in that case - there just isn't room for any game logic at this point.

Welcome!
    Your code is very cool.
    Can we just put the video on the Mem card and run it from there?

#46 12 years ago

Yeah, they have a little utility that takes the video file and converts it into a special format, and then there's just a function to play it on the screen.

media_SetSector(HIword, LOword); // Magic numbers from the media conversion tool
    media_Video(x, y); // Position of the video on screen

I'm not sure what state the screen is in after the video, but most of the modes in the attract code clear the screen, so if you played with it some it shouldn't be too hard to find a good spot.

1 week later
    #47 11 years ago

Since there still seems to be interest in these I ordered another batch of cabinet parts. This new cabinet is much nicer looking and sturdier than the stern cabinet. If you are the DIY type and money conscious this is a great option. Cost is $30 shipped for a set of all the cabinet plastic pieces, brackets, screws and the decals. You will need to supply the electronic parts (screen, LED's, wiring, wiring connectors). For those who are unsure about screen programming, I can supply pre-programmed screens for an extra cost if need be.

If you have the version 1 mod (with the LCD screen) Eli has confirmed that the LCD can fit into the new cabinet with the simple addition of a plastic shim. He also confirmed it fits n the right screen orientation so screen re-programming is not required. So converting from a version 1 mod to version 2 just is pretty simple, you can re-use the screen, flasher and screen wiring. The only additional piece you'd need to supply would be the interior LED's which are a nice enhancement but not mandatory.

For those that don't want to bother with the LCD/OLED screen at all, just upgrading the cabinet alone with a sticker for the screen display (would be backlit by the flasher) is a huge improvment over the exisiting stern cabinet.

If interested just pm me.

#48 11 years ago

Original LCD in the new cabinet (pre decals and joystick.) The viewing angle is significantly better - Jeremy did a great job with the cabinet design. I'd definitely consider upgrading from the Stern cab if you got the original LCD version. It is kind of fiddly to put together, my observations: don't bother trying to test fit with the protective coatings on the pieces, and those little metal L-brackets are NOT symmetrical check them before assembly.

LCD_Cabinet.jpgLCD_Cabinet.jpg

#49 11 years ago

Looks great! The first game I've owned where I'm buying all the mods before the actual pin arrives.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-interest-in-plastc-parts-needed-for-diy-tron-arcade-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.