(Topic ID: 295153)

Any Interest in a Wade Repro PF for Count-Down?

By MikeO

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by Minnpin65
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5EA074EF-B434-499E-B38A-A2D3F4543588 (resized).jpeg
8B7BE55B-2873-4857-92C3-0285DB458E3F (resized).jpeg
F8FF697B-7F8A-4FA4-AE16-FD3018AD2C75 (resized).jpeg

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

Too late to try & get on for a playfield?

3 weeks later
#52 1 year ago

What’s the latest on this?

1 month later
#53 1 year ago

I see lots of posts lately about lists of potential future playfield runs from Wade lately and figured I'd throw in an update from my conversation with Wade from last week.

This update tends to present more the environment Wade is working under. I'm not sure if this should temper our enthusiasm or just convince us to be patient.

The key points of the conversation were as follows:
1. Supply of components/materials is ever changing making the execution of playfields more challenging with every project. The base products are plywood blanks, inserts, and the inks for screening. Of these, the inks are becoming the most challenging because most printing is converting to direct ink processes and screen printing is falling off.

2. Inserts require a large cost commitment to make which a single playfield run does not support.. The standard white inserts are available. We discussed how to get the color for an insert he will probably be screening ink over a white insert instead of trying to source the specific colored inserts.

3. Even the plywood playfield blanks are challenging. He has zero control over what the wood might do down the road as he just experienced with Strange World playfields where they split after they were completed. He is no longer 100% confident in his supplier but there really isn't anybody else that he knows of. This is supplier number three for him and they have provided the best wood so far with the exception of the last batch. They supply Stern too.
To reduce the risk of planking/splitting, he will only take on the project during the "right" season here(meaning not summer) and only order the wood during that time.

4. Due to the challenges to get a playfield run, the base quantity for a run needs to increase to cover costs and a fair markup. Where 20 or so interested parties could get a playfield into consideration, the quantity really needs to be 40 or so and maybe 50 will be run. This is where Count Down may have a better chance of being run due to the number that were originally produced(9900) along with the fact that the DC flippers and pop bumper seemed to wear the playfield on this title more than on others.

5. Lastly, he does not have a playfield to copy from so one will need to be provided. The last two big art projects (C37 and Strange World) were extra difficult because both of the loaned boards had excessive planking. Hairline cracks show up in the scans and tons of clean up work had to be done before he actually started the art. I hope that the playfield in my game will be acceptable for this but will have to see.

We currently have 21 interested parties on the list, I think it is going to take more than that to get these going.

Get the word out about the possibility of this game being run. Tell all your friends.

3 weeks later
#54 1 year ago

I'd be interested in a playfield aswell. I have 3 of these things 2 are okay but has some wear and one is worn right out

#55 1 year ago

I'm still in for 1. May bump to 2 if it helps the cause take off.

#56 1 year ago

Here is an updated list of interested parties. There have been a couple of additions since the last summary.

That brings the list up to 23. As noted recently, to get Wade's attention, I think we need to be closer to 40 interested parties. It would definitely motivate him more than other titles would.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
3 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

Too late to try & get on for a playfield?

Not too late. You have been added to the list.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from swampwiz:

Is there any reason why Wade has to do this, and not CPR? Wade responded to my E-mail and said that someone else has already done the artwork (which I shall presume means the bitmap file has already been set up). Is it a Gottlieb licensing thing?

I know this is an old post but I'll respond as best as I can.

There is no reason someone else, such as CPR, couldn't do this playfield. Ultimately, it comes down to the Gottlieb licensing.

What I have encountered personally, as I was behind the scenes on the Wizard playfield that was run last year, is you have to convince Robert Fesjian(who manages the Gottlieb licensing) and Steve Young(who Fesjian relies on for quality verification). Wizard was able to get that approval because it was Wade that did the playfields and glasses. That really made it easier due to his track record. It wasn't Ken convincing them of the ability to do this. And Ken and I have both known Steve for over 20 years now, so that was an easy conversation.

As for CPR doing this, it would come down to the same Gottlieb licensing. But I'm sure the cost analysis/financial aspect is even more important with them. And it has to be a title that interests them. I can only speculate, but they are going to want to do a title they are convinced will sell a minimum quantity. I don't know what that minimum threshold is but I bet it is more than 40. Who knows if Count Down is even on their radar.

The benefit of Wade doing them is that it appears he will do smaller runs. From my last conversation with him from a couple of weeks ago, summarized above, it is a financial decision for Wade as well. He would rather see a larger minimum run than has been batted around previously.

As for the art that you referred to, I believe Wade has been in contact with him and seen it. I believe it is in a format that does not translate well for what Wade needs, and may not have the level of definition that meets Wade's standards. I believe it is just the keyline art that is being discussed here, which ultimately defines the whole package. In the end, I suspect Wade will develop the artwork from scratch from a decent condition original playfield that someone will need to send him. I'm happy to strip the playfield from my game and send it to him.

In my opinion, the best we can do is find more interest in this title and then put our faith in Wade once we get to that interest threshold.

As I've noted before, tell your friends. Reach out to anyone you know that has a Count Down that might be interested in a repro playfield and get them to show that interest here if they haven't already.

#59 1 year ago

I'd be interested in a playfield. I wish hardtop would do a title like this but gottliebs seem to be at the bottom of their list.

#60 1 year ago

Here is an updated list of interested parties. There have been a couple of additions since the last summary.

That brings the list up to 24. As noted recently, to get Wade's attention, I think we need to be closer to 40 interested parties. It would definitely motivate him more than other titles would.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
3 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2

#61 1 year ago

I'd be in for one

#62 1 year ago

please count me in!

2 weeks later
#63 1 year ago

Put me in for a fourth Mike. I don't care if the inserts are clear or painted. Even clear ones will work with a colored LED! A playfield that's brand new and beautiful is better than one that's trashed and fugly!!

#64 1 year ago

Add me for one

#65 1 year ago

It's a good investment actually to buy one even I f you don't need right away. They will make nice trade bait down the road when more people will be looking after the run is done .

#66 1 year ago

Sometimes with stuff like this the product creates the demand. Are there a bunch of modern day collectors with beat up Countdowns in their collection waiting for playfields? Probably not. Are there a bunch of guys who would instantly want to own a Countdown if they saw one with a new playfield? Based on the folks I know, yes.

None of that helps with upfront money to get playfields made, though.

#67 1 year ago

Mine is kind of done

8B7BE55B-2873-4857-92C3-0285DB458E3F (resized).jpeg8B7BE55B-2873-4857-92C3-0285DB458E3F (resized).jpegF8FF697B-7F8A-4FA4-AE16-FD3018AD2C75 (resized).jpegF8FF697B-7F8A-4FA4-AE16-FD3018AD2C75 (resized).jpeg
#68 1 year ago

ouch did the rotisserie fall over or something on that? Might be able to fix it with liberal applications of glue and clamps.... worth a try.

Countdown is a great game for sure.

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

ouch did the rotisserie fall over or something on that? Might be able to fix it with liberal applications of glue and clamps.... worth a try.
Countdown is a great game for sure.

I have absolutely no clue on what could had happened.
it was a surprise when I stripped the PF and saw this.
I Hope to get a better one. I don’t want to do a full resto by starting with that

#70 1 year ago

That brings the list up to 28. As noted recently, to get Wade's attention, I think we need to be closer to 40 interested parties. It would definitely motivate him more than other titles would.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
1 - Electriclou
1 - Pookycade

#71 1 year ago

Thanks for the latest interest. Four more from the last update from less than a month ago.

There is no doubt CD will be a good seller.

I'll share the latest tally with him to see if we are getting close enough to get CD on the committed list.

#72 1 year ago

Why he just doesn’t charge more for every PF and considerate 30 instead of 40?
I mean we are not trying to get on the moon with this.
It’s only a question of how much he wants to get the job done.

Or maybe I don’t understand how tricky it is.

I’ll take 2 more if it helps

#73 12 months ago

Hot Off The Presses. We did it.

Below is directly from Wade this morning. I had shared the latest tally with him from my post #70 above.

"Hi Mike, this is a good number. I am working on Surf Champ and still fixing Strange World boards plus I am considering Slick Chick or Sing Along next. By the time those three are done, I should have new wood and I could do Count Down. By the time I make the announcement, I'm sure more people will be added.

Thank you for all your help with this. I have already asked for the licensing."

This all said, please keep me posted if your interest changes. Also, feel free to respond here and let me know if you want to be added to the list.

Moving forward.

#74 12 months ago

You know what, add me to the list. Even if I never swap it into my game I want to see one of these Wade beauties up close & personal. Would be amazing wall art if nothing else.

#75 12 months ago

To reiterate, Wade has confirmed that Count Down is now on the planned production after clean up of Strange World, the run of Surfer/Surf Champ, and one more title(Either Sing Along or Slick Chick).

Here is the updated list of interested parties.

The list is up to 29.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
1 - Electriclou
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy

#76 12 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

You know what, add me to the list. Even if I never swap it into my game I want to see one of these Wade beauties up close & personal. Would be amazing wall art if nothing else.

Yancy - Not to sway you from using it as wall art, but to have a fresh flat playfield in your game would be amazing. Mine will get auto clear coat first and be better than factory.

Thanks for adding your name to the list.

#77 12 months ago

Is there a ballpark on what the price will be? I recently picked up a Count Down l, I'll have to look again (stored off to the side for now), pretty sure the pf was ok but would need this data point to consider.

#78 12 months ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Is there a ballpark on what the price will be? I recently picked up a Count Down l, I'll have to look again (stored off to the side for now), pretty sure the pf was ok but would need this data point to consider.

Surf Champ was $850 plus $70 shipping

#79 12 months ago
Quoted from dstudeba:

Surf Champ was $850 plus $70 shipping

Ok thanks for the insight!

#80 12 months ago

Please add another one for me.
What’s the ball Park? 3 years?

#81 12 months ago

To reiterate, Wade has confirmed that Count Down is now on the planned production after clean up of Strange World, the run of Surfer/Surf Champ, and one more title(Either Sing Along or Slick Chick).

With another playfield for Electriclou, the list is up to 30.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
2 - Electriclou
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy

#82 12 months ago
Quoted from ElectricLou:

Please add another one for me.
What’s the ball Park? 3 years?

Thanks for the additional playfield to the list.

To be honest, yes, it could take that long.

I was involved behind the scenes with the Wizard conversion playfields and backglasses with Ken Head to turn Team One into Wizard with Abra Ca Dabra art. We first discussed that project at TPF in March 2019. It was probably 6-8 months of figuring out who could do what along with getting Wade's commitment. And it still needed to wait until he was through the prior backlog of playfields. They showed up in May 2022. So more like 2.5 years from when Wade committed to the project. Keep in mind he did the Wizard backglasses in that time also so maybe, optimistically, closer to 2 years, even with his current backlog.

#83 12 months ago
Quoted from ElectricLou:

please count me in!

How about we count you down?

#84 12 months ago
Quoted from MikeO:

With another playfield for Electriclou, the list is up to 30.
1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
2 - Electriclou
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy

"Launch Control, we are holding at T-minus 30."

1 week later
#85 11 months ago

I'll hop on this train!, please count me in!

#86 11 months ago

With a playfield for schaedl, we are up to 31.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
2 - Electriclou
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy
1 - schaedl

#87 11 months ago

Please make that 32. I'm in as well. What a great game, I've had mine for years and keep coming back to it!

#88 11 months ago

With a playfield for sofaspud, we are up to 32.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
2 - Electriclou
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy
1 - schaedl
1 - sofaspud

1 week later
#89 11 months ago

After visiting at TPF, pinhead52 and Arron B are in for a playfield each. We are up to 34.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
2 - Electriclou
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy
1 - schaedl
1 - sofaspud
1 - pinhead52
1 - Aaron B.

5 months later
#90 5 months ago
Quoted from ElectricLou:

Mine is kind of done
[quoted image][quoted image]

I have 2 of this title, one whose playfield is in very decent (though not excellent) condition that I am current playing on, and another with a playfield with delamination a bit like this. I have uninstalled & deep cleaned the stuff off the latter, and once I scavenge the inserts (there seems to be some demand for them), it will be chopped into pieces and throw in the garbage. Whenever the repro playfield comes about, I will install the stuff from that latter on it, and sell a complete machine with the former playfield.

2 months later
#91 87 days ago

Please add me to the list! I would like TWO of them! One for the pin and one for the wall!
Thanks!

5EA074EF-B434-499E-B38A-A2D3F4543588 (resized).jpeg5EA074EF-B434-499E-B38A-A2D3F4543588 (resized).jpeg
#92 87 days ago

I’d be somewhat surprised if Wade continues to make playfields. seems like it’s an ever increasing hassle for him.

#93 87 days ago

Does anyone know which title Wade is working on now and what the order of the queue looks like?

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
Thank you for checking out the PinWiki - http://www.PinWiki.com/

#94 87 days ago

It looks like we're up to 36!

#95 86 days ago

With Minnpin65 we are up to 36.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
2 - Electriclou
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy
1 - schaedl
1 - sofaspud
1 - pinhead52
1 - Aaron B.
2 - Minnpin65

#96 86 days ago

I’ll take one.

1 week later
#97 75 days ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I’ll take one.

So that makes 37?

#98 74 days ago

I'd be in for 1.

#99 74 days ago

With Electrocute and driph we are up to 38.
I’ll reach out to Wade to get an update and report back here
1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
2 - Electriclou
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy
1 - schaedl
1 - sofaspud
1 - pinhead52
1 - Aaron B.
2 - Minnpin65
1 - Electrocute
1 - driph

2 weeks later
#100 57 days ago

Bump...

Also, any idea what the extra cost would be for actual blue inserts rather than screening white ones?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-interest-in-a-wade-repro-pf-for-count-down/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.