(Topic ID: 295153)

Any Interest in a Wade Repro PF for Count-Down?

By MikeO

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by J-Freeze
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

Subject line basically says it all.

Someone from France was asking on the EM Pinball FB page about needing to get 20 interested people in a Wade Space Walk playfield. Being so few Space Walk were originally produced it seemed like quite the stretch.

It got me thinking Count-Down had a ton made and the playfields can get pretty worn. So maybe the interest is there.

Is it just me or are there another 15-20 folks that would go for a Wade Krause repro Count-Down playfield?

#2 1 year ago

Hell yes, I know another guy so we'd get 2 of them

#3 1 year ago

Absolutely!

#4 1 year ago

It’s a game with a regularly worn playfield. I haven’t even spoken to him about this but I bet we can get in line with Wade if we get enough commitment. And getting the rights should be a slam dunk from the Gottlieb rights holder.

But it’s going to take enough commitment from enough people that think this much of this title to spend this kind of dough on the game.

Tell all your friends and have them respond here.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Subject line basically says it all.
Someone from France was asking on the EM Pinball FB page about needing to get 20 interested people in a Wade Space Walk playfield. Being so few Space Walk were originally produced it seemed like quite the stretch.
It got me thinking Count-Down had a ton made and the playfields cab get pretty worn. So maybe the interest is there.
Is it just me or are there another 15-20 folks that would go for a Wade Krause repro Count-Down playfield?

Put me down for one.

#6 1 year ago

I’d be in for one

#7 1 year ago

Massively underrated game with a usually worn playfield, almost 10k produced. Folks are restoring early solid state games like crazy these days. I think you can definitely get twenty buyers.

Speaking for myself, I'm lucky enough have a better than average example, so I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to swap. But I still want to see a bunch of shiny new Count-Downs in the world. Good luck!

#8 1 year ago

I'd be interested.

In a Backglass as well, these are always toast.... really thin screening on the originals.

#9 1 year ago

So here is the tally today. Up to 7 in 2 days.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

In a Backglass as well, these are always toast.... really thin screening on the originals.

This would be your best bet. I'm probably in for one also if the playfields get made.
http://bgresto.com/?p=304

1 week later
#11 1 year ago

By all means, put me down for one!

I currently have 2 of this title, one with a decent, but not excellent, playfield, and one that is crap. My plan is to use the guts of the crap one to put onto a reproduction playfield, and then sell the one with the decent playfield. I also have a complete set of new drop targets that will only be installed on the new playfield. So the only thing holding me back is the new playfield!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

I'd be interested.

I once bought a whole Count-Down just for the good backglass (the playfield was crap). I also was able to get a NOS backglass for $400, but these things are so precious, I probably won't ever part with the good one just in case something happens to the NOS one.

#13 1 year ago

I’d be in for one as well.
Countdown easily represents the best of the system 1 Gottliebs. Deceptively simple with that one more play appeal all day long.

#14 1 year ago

Count-Down was one of my first pins. I rigged it up with a chime unit, worked great. Then I stupidly sold it for $600 because I wanted a “real” EM. The playfield was perfect. Now I’m a little sad.

#15 1 year ago

Pinball Hall of Fame is IN!

#16 1 year ago

So the tally is up to 10.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF

#17 1 year ago

I spoke with Wade right after I started this list and he responded positively, saying he hopes the interest ramps up, and that it's a great game and the art is really cool.

I'm sure there are at least 10 others out there that we just need to find that haven't stumbled on this thread.

Tell all your pinball friends.

1 month later
#18 1 year ago

So what's the status here?

1 month later
#19 1 year ago
Quoted from swampwiz:

So what's the status here?

Status is I need to repost so this goes to the top of the list and others see it.

Are there any additional folks interested in signing on for a Count Down playfield?

I already have Wade's interest that he would run this title. Obviously it could be a year or two before it gets run but it is a very popular title and there are many examples that could use a new playfield.

Count Down is one of the most addictive drop target games out there and it deserves a playfield that will look as good and play as fast as the day it was new.

Let us know.

1 month later
#21 1 year ago

Put me in

#22 1 year ago

I'll take one.

3 weeks later
#23 1 year ago

My apologies for not seeing the recent activity on this thread.

So the tally is up to 13. This is actually great headway. I'm sure the biggest challenge is getting this information in front of other Countdown owners. Tell your friends.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow

#24 1 year ago

Tim here at the Pinball Hall of Fame. I am in for one.

#25 1 year ago

I just need to find a Countdown near me, and then I can join you. Great game.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from timarnold:

Tim here at the Pinball Hall of Fame. I am in for one.

Tim - you are already on the list. I put you down as PHoF. I’ll update with your name.

#27 1 year ago

i'm good for one.

3 weeks later
#28 1 year ago

I’ll take one

Actually I will take 3. Maybe even more. Let me ask some people.

#29 1 year ago

Please add me to the list.

#30 1 year ago

I'll take one
Thanks pinball plus

#31 1 year ago

So the tally is up to 18. Thank you all for the quick response. I will reach out to Wade and see if we can get this rolling. I'm sure we will find more interested parties once the word gets around. Tell your friends.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
3 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN

#32 1 year ago

Gratuitous New Years bump.

1 month later
#33 11 months ago

President's Day BUMP

#34 11 months ago

I'm in- also would love a backglass.

#35 11 months ago

So the tally is up to 19.

UPDATE - I spoke to Wade a few weeks back when the tally was up to 18. His response was positive and I believe we are in line now. At least four playfields in front of us but they are moving through his shop faster than in the past.

Wade had contact with someone in the past that had indicated they had prepared the art file of the keylines for CD. Wade was going to reach out to that person and see if it was still available.

If the person with the keylines file happens to be reading this please speak up.

AND - Tell your friends.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
3 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102

3 weeks later
#36 10 months ago

St. Patrick's Day bump.

2 months later
#37 8 months ago

Holy crap! Yes! Tell Wade I am in! Put me on the list for a CD playfield!

I'm sure there is a demand for a backglass as well, so hopefully he will make a run of those as well. Mine is blown out & I could really use one.

#38 8 months ago

You guys need to stop fixing up the crappy games and get something made worth while like Sittin' Pretty

#39 8 months ago

I think that puts us & 20 now

MikeO Have you heard a recent update from Wade if he's actually moving forward on these CD playfields/BG?

#40 8 months ago

I'd be in for a bg as well

#41 8 months ago

I would be in for one also.

#42 8 months ago

That brings the list up to 21.

1 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
3 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks

2 weeks later
#43 8 months ago

I also reached out to Wade last month. He was saying he hasn't made a final decision about doing a run of CD playfields just yet, but there is restored playfield art already completed by someone else, so hopefully they can connect & come to an agreement on getting these produced if the demand is actually there.

So with continued interest & a little luck, hopefully this run will get made someday.

2 weeks later
#44 7 months ago

So I had a long talk with Wade the other day regarding production in general and the Count Down playfields.

There are two challenges with this playfield. The first is the complexity/intricacy of the art and number of screens he needs to prepare to properly apply the art. He indicated he struggled to a degree with the Strange World playfield that is currently in production for the same reason. We discussed the concept that he consider it needing to be a more expensive playfield due to the intricacy of the art. He sounded like he would consider it.

The second challenge is blue inserts. He's not sure he can get blue inserts. At least not the style this playfield uses. He did explain how he has actually screened the color over a white insert to get the color insert he needed. I believe it was on the Centigrade 37 playfield. I don't know if it was a color or if it was an insert size availability issue. Maybe someone with one of the C37 playfields can confirm. Just the fact that he shared with me the challenge associated with this item shows the perfectionist approach he takes with these playfields.

He asked my thoughts on Slick Chick and I shared them. I could tell he really wants to do it but was concerned that people that had expressed interest might back out once he actually schedules it. I commented that I have never seen a playfield he produced not ultimately sell out. It looks like the interest is getting close as seen in this thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1963-gottlieb-slick-chick-new-playfield-poll#post-6989282

Surf Champ/Surfer is now slated. I'll repeat here what was already posted in the Surf Champ pf thread. Among other things his costs are clearly going up.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wade-krause-repro-gottlieb-surf-champ-playfield/page/2#post-6983280

Feel free to post here your thoughts on the blue inserts compromise or extra cost for Count Down that it may come down to to get this playfield produced. The better our understanding and acceptance going in the more comfortable Wade will be with proceeding with putting this playfield on the schedule.

And I would fully expect it to come down to down payments at a minimum once he gets close to producing this playfield so post your thoughts on that also.

#45 7 months ago

As I worked with Wade on Jacks Open, I am aware that he could not get the right colors for that one. He expressed to me that some folks were not happy with the substituted color as an insert.

I would tell anyone that Wade is trying his best to accurately re-produce playfields. As indicated above, some things are out of his hands.

So maybe all the Wade playfield threads need a warning attached.

3 weeks later
#46 6 months ago

When it comes to the Countdown, I would have no problem with the changes Wade mentioned.....down payments, a price increase or the substitute insert solution.

1 week later
#47 6 months ago

How do I contact him to put a deposit down on one? Is his E-mail wadeotornado at yahoo?

#48 6 months ago

Concerning the blue inserts, why not just use these transparent inserts for all 4 drop-target-set/bonus-multiplier/bottom-lane locations?

https://www.pinballlife.com/1-round-transparent-plain-green-playfield-insert.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/1-round-transparent-plain-yellow-playfield-insert.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/1-round-transparent-plain-red-playfield-insert.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/1-round-transparent-plain-blue-playfield-insert.html

The Extra Ball, Special, and Count-Down hole at the top could be done in the regular opaque inserts. I think it would be far better to have all 4 sets be consistent than to have 3 be consistent and the other be off.

#49 6 months ago

Is there any reason why Wade has to do this, and not CPR? Wade responded to my E-mail and said that someone else has already done the artwork (which I shall presume means the bitmap file has already been set up). Is it a Gottlieb licensing thing?

2 months later
#50 3 months ago

Too late to try & get on for a playfield?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!