Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by tonymiddendorf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ToM_exam.jpg
ToM.jpg

#1 7 years ago

I have recently discovered I am a purist. I know it is weird for a 24 year old to be in the hobby let alone one that likes them mostly original but ehh. I have decided I am not an LED guy, I will be taking my LEDs out and putting in incandescent. The kit is cointaker, I paid over 200 for them about 8 months ago. I had them swap out the cool GI LEDs for warm LEDs. I'm selling for $100, that includes shipping. As with most cointaker orders (absolutely no offense intended) there were a couple LEDs missing, I was just too lazy to call them and tell them what was missing. I believe it was 3 out of the kit. I am currently working on one major pin restoration and one minor so I am in no rush unless you are. I just need someone to say, Yep, I'll take them and they are yours.

#2 7 years ago

I find this interesting. Most guys around your age aren't nostalgic about these machines. So you don't like the actual appearance? What was your main dislikes?

#3 7 years ago

Just the intensity of it. I never played pinball when I was younger, (lived in a very rural area and none to play) so there is no nostalgia about it. When I see a pinball machine, in my head I see it as a certain way.
In TFTC, it is a dark theme. The playfield should reflect that.

I am also getting ready to take out a couple of LEDs that came with my White Water. The bulbs under the boulders give it a warm feel and then to have bright LEDs in the inserts, I feel ruin it.

I picked up a Space Shuttle a week or so ago. The cabinet looks somewhat rough but I like the way it looks. I have been debating myself whether to restencil or not. I doubt I will because the machine is over 25 years old, I like that it shows a little age.

I used to be a DMD only guy as well but I have found that I am more excited with System 9s and 11s now. I swear I was born in the wrong generation.

#4 7 years ago

moving to marketplace

#5 7 years ago

Post pictures before you take them out please just so we can see.

#6 7 years ago

I too have a cointaker kit in my TFTC....and regret it. WAAAAAY too bright. I've been thinking about taking them out as well.

#7 7 years ago

I just got finished throwing LED's in TFTC and have to say it not only has a ton of flashers and backbox bulbs but with LED's it is a super cool looking game. With that you also have to choose wisely on the placement to not blind the player. Any exposed bulb should be getting a retro or frosted or something to calm down the brightness.

With that some are just into LED's and some not. Bummer for those that are not and a fan of Stern LE's!!

#8 7 years ago

The TFTC I had breifly had some FANTASTIC LEDs in it. I agree that it looks great with well-done LEDs. I've heard (cannot confirm) that Data East used a different kind of paint that causes the inserts and things to project as a little more 'neon' when fitted with LEDs. I had a WWF that also looked GREAT with LEDs, so there may be some truth to that.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I have decided I am not an LED guy, I will be taking my LEDs out and putting in incandescent. The kit is cointaker, I paid over 200 for them about 8 months ago. I had them swap out the cool GI LEDs for warm LEDs. I'm selling for $100, that includes shipping. As with most cointaker orders (absolutely no offense intended) there were a couple LEDs missing, I was just too lazy to call them and tell them what was missing. I believe it was 3 out of the kit.

I've Spent Several Thousands of $'s on CoinTaker's Leds and I've Never been shorted an Led. Mainly because I like to Pick & Choose Every Led for my insert's or GI's .. I'm an LED Fanatic and to me the Led Color Brings the P/F to Life. And to say TFTC lOOks Better w/ reg- bulbs ( Crazzy )
but to Each their Own !! I Will Honestly say that the CRYPT inserts in my Last TFTC were Blinding !! Check out my TZ w/Led's vs's TZ w/ No Leds video below .. And TFTC w/ insert Leds
And a Pict- of my 1st TOM w/ Leds vs's No Leds from the Video ... Blaaa !! And check out that Real 4" Saw Tooth Blade mod .. And Yes It Turned when activated ...
CoinTaker Led's Rule ..

ToM.jpg ToM_exam.jpg

#10 7 years ago

"The TFTC I had breifly had some FANTASTIC LEDs in it. I agree that it looks great with well-done LEDs."

Yes it is!

It looks great! I'll post pics tomorrow. I'm working a 19 plus hour shift today.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

The TFTC I had breifly had some FANTASTIC LEDs in it. I agree that it looks great with well-done LEDs. I've heard (cannot confirm) that Data East used a different kind of paint that causes the inserts and things to project as a little more 'neon' when fitted with LEDs. I had a WWF that also looked GREAT with LEDs, so there may be some truth to that.

The green surrounding the inserts is all uv reactive. I always add spotlights to brighten up the center playfield as part of my led job and this made that green glow.

#12 7 years ago

I love LEDs not only for their color but also for the fact that they produce no heat and cost less $$$ to operate!

#13 7 years ago

Can anyone post pictures of what game looks like in black light as well which I am told looks extremely amazing. That is how I remember playing it back in 1995-96 in a pool hall in CA called Fezzywigs.

#14 7 years ago

I will try and get some pics for you by this weekend.

#15 7 years ago

Did you get my PM on the LEDs? Or are they sold? Thanks.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside