New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 82932)

Any interest in a Pittsburgh Pinball Show?

By player_1

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Excalabur
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

I woud be glas to get involved BUT when?? there are almost too many shows now... They conflict at times mike pacak

any time conflicts can mean the loss of venders

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from SarverSystems:

Would this be stepping all over PAPAs toes though?

You would want to work with PAPA for the tournament being recognized by them

#53 6 years ago

My test here for gauging the interest level has been a small success so far. I believe with these great minds working together, a Pittsburgh Pinball Show would be a very well received event....and very possible!

Thank you to everyone for all the comments and suggestions. Lots of good ideas to think of and work out, as well as some funny ideas along the way. Please don't stop here, continue the discussion....give us those pros and cons, the possibles and impossibles...what would YOU like to see/have/do at the show?!?

Again, thank you for your interest and support.

#54 6 years ago

I've contacted PAPA, spoke with Elizabeth, about donating some time and services to help with this.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

I vote for the water slide! Imagine the speeches developers could give while ripping down 50 spiraled feet of fiberglass into a pool of water.

Actually you could make it more like a dunk tank. If the crowd doesn't like what the speaker is saying, they can hit a large gong and it releases the speaker down the waterslide.

#56 6 years ago

Just want to say I'd be down for this. I'm only 2.5 hours away so I won't pass up a show in da burgh!

#57 6 years ago

I was thinking more of making it a family experience.

Get a hotel room at Conley's....dad plays pinball, competes in tourneys, mom and kids go play in the pool.

#58 6 years ago

I would be down. Would be great to not have to drive hours to a show...

#59 6 years ago

Maybe we could open this up to arcade games as well?

Maybe only FS games would be allowed, and must be set to free play, etc...etc...

#60 6 years ago

OK, here's a suggestion, just came to mind...

Pittsburgh Mills mall!

There's lots of store fronts that are available, and I know they do other "shows" there. They just had a homeshow last month.

I bet rent is fairly cheap, the bathrooms are nice, lots of food, and things that the rest of the family can do if they aren't into pinball. There are no stairs, and lots of parking. There's even a hotel on the property. Its close enough to Pittsburgh, and has "Pittsburgh" in the name.

I can't think of anything negative about it, other than maybe what rent would cost.

Its 1 exit from the turnpike, and not too far from 79, 19, 8, 579, 279, 376, etc...

#61 6 years ago

I'd totally be up for this. Probably mostly as a player, but I'd also like to bring a machine and show this off a bit.

#62 6 years ago

There is a new Monroeville Convention Center that is a good place as well. Easy access to get stuff in and out of, clean restrooms and a lot of other things that the family can do as well. Not saying this is better than any of the other places mentioned, just another option.

http://www.monroevilleconventioncenter.com/us/floorplans.php

1 month later
    #64 6 years ago

Any update on this? MHS from PAPA seemed to be hinting around about something, and there seemed to be lots of interest, and then nothing. Just curious if there will ever be a show here in PGH!!?!?!?

#65 6 years ago

It sounds to me like PAPA might combine Pinburgh 2015 with some kind of pinball show. MHS previously posted that the date for Pinburgh 2015 hasn't been announced yet because they are still finalizing it with their "venue". That makes me wonder if they might be hosting it somewhere else where Pinburgh AND a pinball show can happen. Or possibly having a concurrent pinball show somewhere very close to the PAPA facility. They already pushed next year's PAPA World Championships up so that it will happen in March 2015 (when Pinburgh would normally be). This might mean that Pinburgh 2015/pinball show will be scheduled for August when the weather is sure to be decent.

#66 6 years ago

Having Pinburgh coupled with a show would be tough on the players. You are pretty much playing pinball the entire time during Pinburgh and wouldn't have time to do anything at the show. Plus people who don't get in the field of 400 for Pinburgh might not be as motivated to come just for the show.

But PAPA coupled with a show would be great because there is no limit to how many people can enter PAPA plus you can enter the tournament at your leisure. So you could easily go back and forth between the show and PAPA.

Of course this is just all wishful thinking but having the two combined would be great because then you would have people come who want to play and people who want to buy stuff. I know a lot of people who don't come to PAPA or Pinburgh because there is nothing for sale or vendors selling parts like the other shows.

#67 6 years ago

Parkway Center Mall is completely deserted - I couldn't imagine that place being expensive to rent and it's centrally located. And I believe it used to hold PAPA tournaments back in the day...

#68 6 years ago

The older tournaments were in the top floor of the Best Western by Parkway Center. It was hot and humid and could hold almost 100 people!

These were the old Pinburgh tournaments before Pinburgh evolved into PAPA. When it came time to name the match play event in 2011, reusing Pinburgh seemed like the right choice...

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from jsomethin:

Any update on this? MHS from PAPA seemed to be hinting around about something, and there seemed to be lots of interest, and then nothing. Just curious if there will ever be a show here in PGH!!?!?!?

Expect more news later this summer. We're still 16 months away from Pinburgh.

#70 6 years ago

may + 16 = hmm

#71 6 years ago

I know we're on a Pinball forum, but I kind of hope that a show here doesn't get all pinballed up. I'd like to play/buy/sell/trade video stuff too!

1 week later
    #72 6 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

Expect more news later this summer. We're still 16 months away from Pinburgh.

You're skipping a whole year?

1 week later
    #73 6 years ago

Next year's pinburgh is in august, with PAPA world in the old pinburgh spring slot.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 7,599.00
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 11.49
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 7.00
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Special When Lit
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 218.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside