(Topic ID: 82932)

Any interest in a Pittsburgh Pinball Show?

By player_1

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Excalabur
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

After visiting the Ohio Pinball Show last weekend, the first thing that came to mind was: "This would be great in Pittsburgh!" So I'm writing to gauge the interest level on possibly putting together a "Pittsburgh Pinball Show".
    Pinball is quite big in this area, as well as being the headquarters of PAPA.

While at the Ohio show, I asked a few vendors and people in general if they would be willing to haul their parts and machines to Pittsburgh for an event such as this. Most all said they would. Many of them travel to Allentown or York for those shows, so the jaunt over to Pittsburgh would be very doable.

I believe the structure in place for the Ohio show would work perfectly. Three day event, machines brought to show and sell, free play available on all machines, vendors, etc. Maybe the addition of a "Flea Market" area would also be of interest. I would gladly take any and all suggestion from you, my fellow pinball people.

Hey, maybe this is a terrible idea? I don't know yet. Looking to hear from people in the area (or way out of the area) who would be interested in supporting a show in Pittsburgh.

Thanks in advance.

#2 10 years ago

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been one put together in the burgh yet. Centrally located to many cities. Tons of interest in pinball locally and regionally. Biggest pinball league in the world (that I know of). Host of two of the biggest tournaments in the world. Seems like a win to me.

#3 10 years ago

Every event in Pittsburgh revolves around competitive play. It would be interesting to see a 'swap meet' style show, like the Ohio show or Allentown show, here in the 'burgh. There's certainly a lot of players and collectors in the area. Also, I think people with a casual interest would be more likely to show up at a show than to sign up for a tournament.

Brian

#4 10 years ago

I think a lot of the Cinci group here would be in - I know I would - it's a shorter trip than Chicago...

#5 10 years ago

I think this is a great idea. I'd certainly be interested in bring a couple games to sell or share. Pittsburgh already has a big league and big tournaments, but nothing (that I know of) quite like the Ohio Show.

#6 10 years ago

Fantastic idea! I'll be there with bells on!

#7 10 years ago

Great idea! Maybe have it around the same time as PAPA or Pinburgh, weekend before or after

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from player_1:

the first thing that came to mind was: "This would be great in Pittsburgh!"

Stay tuned

#9 10 years ago

I'm in !!!

#10 10 years ago

I would drive out for that! Only about 2:15 from the west side of Cleveland.

#12 10 years ago

I woud be glas to get involved BUT when?? there are almost too many shows now... They conflict at times mike pacak

#13 10 years ago

I would make the trip it is the only show other then Ohio that I could see driving to in a day without staying over. So some time opposite of the ohio show would be best

#15 10 years ago

I would go to be a vendor, selling board repair services.

#16 10 years ago

I think it would do well!

#17 10 years ago

Add me to the vendor list for JJP, Planetary, Spooky, and Virtuapin ! I'll take a huge booth if this ever comes to pass !
    Joe Newhart
    PinballSTAR Amusements

#18 10 years ago

I'd be interested.

#19 10 years ago

Certainly would attend but as Mike P. stated when can you schedule this so it doesn't interfere with other shows? I always thought it would be great to have this as part of PAPA weekend but obviously PAPA doesn't have the space to do it simultaneously with PAPA. Be a heck of a weekend if there was space within walking distance of PAPA that you could walk back and fourth between PAPA and a show! Of course this may be a bad idea and explain why I am not in the event planning business!

#20 10 years ago

Simply get the building in the parking area demolished and build a convention type building there. Would increase the parking for all events, provide space for vendors, swap meet space too. Include a concession area for the total package.

Papa needs another event at the facility to fill in the gap between Pinburgh and PAPA.

Have to dream big after all.

#21 10 years ago

That building is fine the way it is. Just needs to be cleaned up a bit. Heck, the bathrooms are probably even better than the ones at the Ohio show.

#22 10 years ago

I can think of lots of places in/near Pittsburgh to have it.

Monroeville Expo-Mart pops to mind immediately.
    Butler Days Inn, for a smaller/cheaper venue.
    If it got big enough, why not the Convention Center? I imagine that costs an arm and a leg, but hey, we can dream!

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

I imagine that costs an arm and a leg, but hey, we can dream!

We certainly can.

#24 10 years ago

I like the sound of that Monroeville Expo-Mart!

#25 10 years ago

I've heard they have a bit of a zombie problem out that way...

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

You had me at Butler Days Inn.

#27 10 years ago

You could potentially have the event at Robert Morris Univ. which is where they have a three day baseball card show every year.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

bkerins said:

You had me at Butler Days Inn.

Butler Days Inn sounds like a winner.

#29 10 years ago

Count me in!! This is a great idea. A 5 hour drive to Allentown is just too much for me.

#30 10 years ago

Actually, I know of another place.

Butler Vagabonds.

I also know of a firehall that used to host LAN parties.

#32 10 years ago

Would this be stepping all over PAPAs toes though?

#33 10 years ago

Not after a year's worth of planning, it wouldn't.

#34 10 years ago

What do you mean? That makes it sound like it would be stepping on your toes even more.

#36 10 years ago

I'd vote for Butler also.

I don't see how, two different things.

#37 10 years ago

Wait, did I miss sarcasm?

No. Just made an incorrect assumption.

;o)

#38 10 years ago

we would set up a booth there as well. make it happen..!
    hell, we would prolly get another house in PA (pittsburgh thow) we are there enough now...lol...papa. pinburgh, ppo, mall trips, business stuff, etc etc etc.
    PA is one of the best states on the map!

#39 10 years ago

It's true, if this happens and it's not at the Butler Days Inn, I'll be pissed.

#40 10 years ago

The vagabond building is right nearby, and is probably in better shape than the aged butler days inn. I'm thinking you'll have electricity issues at butler days inn.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

It's true, if this happens and it's not at the Butler Days Inn, I'll be pissed.

What am I missing here with everyone wanting this to be at the Butler Days Inn?

#42 10 years ago

I think everyone just knows where it is, and has been there at one time or another for something.

I, for one, am not impressed with the building one bit, but they definitely have enough room, and there is McD's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, and a grocery store next door.

#43 10 years ago

There's also Conley's Resort...I've done lots of LAN parties there, and they have a pool and waterslide! Bring the wife and kids to swim, go play some pinball!

Their room requirements are kind of goofy though. They require you to buy a certain amount of food, and the room is free.

#44 10 years ago

Ideally, Cranberry would be perfect. Close to all interstates.

#45 10 years ago

I think there's a lot of potential for a show here.But if you pick a venue that's too small, you're going to become a small show. If you have a big push for games and vendors the first couple of years in a larger space, you have a better chance at becoming a destination. I think there's a lot of games around here that could come together for an early push like this.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from slicknick13:

I think there's a lot of potential for a show here.But if you pick a venue that's too small, you're going to become a small show. If you have a big push for games and vendors the first couple of years in a larger space, you have a better chance at becoming a destination. I think there's a lot of games around here that could come together for an early push like this.

Sure, but don't we really just want a waterslide?

Actually I prefer the Butler Days Inn because it's within walking distance of "Drive-Thru Beverages".

#47 10 years ago

Butler Days Inn's conference room is smaller than the Ohio Show.

#48 10 years ago

Butler Days Inn's conference room is smaller than the Ohio Show.

I vote for the water slide! Imagine the speeches developers could give while ripping down 50 spiraled feet of fiberglass into a pool of water.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

I vote for the water slide! Imagine the speeches developers could give while ripping down 50 spiraled feet of fiberglass into a pool of water.

That would be one way for a speaker to make a splash.

Ideally, Cranberry would be perfect. Close to all interstates.

2nd this as it's very centrally located and by 2 main highways.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

deally, Cranberry would be perfect. Close to all interstates.

2nd this as it's very centrally located and by 2 main highways.

Agree Cranberry wouldn't be a bad location. The Expo in Monroeville is also a good place as it's 5 minutes off the PA Turnpike and the Parkway East (Route 376). The Expo can accommodate different size events as well and is accustom to hosting these types of events. If the event is in the summer you're 15-20 minutes from Kennywood Park and the city (Pittsburgh) for the out of town people that would look for other things to do!

One thing to look into is ..... I believe Monroeville has a tax to do business in Monroeville. Not certain about Cranberry.

OP - Think this would be great idea so hopefully it's something that can come to fruition.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-interest-in-a-pittsburgh-pinball-show and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.