(Topic ID: 163988)

Any interest in a Midwest pin shipping co.?

By Jaybird815

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

uber_trucking (resized).jpg
    zombie-apocalypse-2016_(resized).jpg
    totaled-pinbot_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160702_080405184_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaybird815.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

After hearing some shipping horror stories and seeing what people are being charged for shipping a pin, I'm contemplating starting a pin ship co. I have the capability to ship from 1-30 pins by the way of SUV, covered trailer, and box truck with lift gate. It would be weekend only with white glove service, so you wouldn't have to worry about missing any work. I would be able to cover IL, IN, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KY, OH, and TN, for around $250 +/- depending on amount and location. I would donate to pinside for every pin shipped. I'm also looking for ideas from people on what they'd like to see from a pin shipping co. If there's enough interest I'd be willing to buy an escalera to really provide top notch service. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jaybird

#3 7 years ago

I'd be able to cover a little further than just those states, especially if I had a few pins to deliver/pick up in that general direction. I'd post what area I'd be heading on what dates

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Great idea. I would use your service. Suggest possibly getting pinball armor (although I think he stopped making the stuff) to safeguard the games and protect against dings. Add to your white glove positioning. Love the escalera idea for those of us with basements.

I've been tossing around some ideas on fabricating something to prevent any damage at all.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

I think it's fantastic. You need to get a square and an iPad so you can take credit card for some people. Just charge the extra 1.5 - 2.0 percent to the customer that it costs you. I use sti/navl all the time right now.
    Maybe a discount for someone orders two or three machines at once. I know sti does that as well.

Yeah I would definitely set up to take CC, and there would be a discount on multiple pins shipped.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

Sounds great! Make sure to include Kansas in the coverage area.

I'd pretty much be willing to do anything that can be done in a weekend.

#18 7 years ago

Communication will not be an issue, as everyone I deal with will have my cell number and I'd be keeping an update schedule of where I'd be each weekend

#38 7 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the great input.

I'll try and address all the questions and concerns.

The main vehicle I'd be using is a lower mileage 2011 Freightliner box truck with lift gate. 90% of what I do for a living is delivering/installing across the Midwest. It is my father-in-laws company, so insurance and maintenance would be a shared expense. I would add liability insurance for the homes I'd be entering.

As whysnow stated it would only work if there was a 4 pin minimum in the direction I was going with the understanding that if I picked up a pin in say Lexington and delivered to western Iowa/ Kansas the following weekend.
    I'd be able to stage pins/vids in my climate controlled 3 1/2 car garage so the machines wouldn't be bouncing around in back of a truck for a week. Obviously if a pin was being dropped off in the Chicagoland area I'd be able to deliver on most week nights.

I like vidgames idea of a price structure and of course I'd do video games as well, I said $250 as kind of the avg, it probably would be a little more if it was on the further edge of my coverage area.

I would ideally have a 1-2 week schedule ahead of time to give people the opportunity to look for pins in that area. With the ability and room to do a last second pick up in the area I'm in. Communication will be critical to making this viable.

Thanks again for all the input
    Jaybird

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Coast to coast is much harder to pull off. The OP is just talking about a regional service.

Exactly, I think it can be a success if there's enough Midwestern interest.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

You may want contact some of these boutique pinball companies and get there business. That may get you a few hundred deliveries a year to cover operating costs

Excellent idea

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

It's not delivery, it's DiJaybird.
    Hope this works for ya bud !

I'm not looking to get rich, just looking to defer some of the costs of this expensive addiction. And meet some fellow pinheads.

#52 7 years ago

Ok, I've decide to go ahead and give this a go. I'm pretty excited about it, and I'm in the process of just getting all the insurances in order which turns out isn't very much as I'm already covered for the pins in transit. I'm tentatively going to be starting the weekend of the 23rd. I will be in the Lexington area that weekend, so any pins in that area I would be able to grab and deliver. The weekend of the 30th I'd be out in the Wichita area. Let me know if you could use my services. I'd appreciate any thoughts on ways of spreading the word. Hopefully this is a worthwhile endeavor, that is beneficial to this hobby I love. Please post here or PM with any questions. I look forward to providing great service to you all.

Thank you
    Jaybird

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Best wishes !
    LTG : )

Thanks LTG! It seems there is a need for it and there isn't much risk on my end because I pretty much have everything I need already. And if for some reason it doesn't work out, so be it, I'd rather try and fail then not try at all.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

I'd use you. Lexington KY

I'll be in your area on the 23rd

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fast-Ed:

I need one picked up in Mesa Arizona next week and can pay cash for delivery. Ed

Unfortunately at this time Mesa is a bit out of my coverage range, I'm trying to stay within a 10 hour radius of Chicago. Thanks for the consideration

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Throw Kansas in there. We have some nice BBQ here as well

I will be doing Kansas as well, I'm tentatively going to in Wichita on the weekend of the 30th, I love me some BBQ

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Can you get a website that lists up to date logistic info? That would help in planning.

My wife is working on it I hope to have it up by middle of next week, admittedly I'm not the most tech savvy.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Jaybird,
    When you are driving down the road and making pick-ups & deliveries, is your face gonna be painted like on your Pinside avatar?
    I mean like, don't you think some of the dogs living at the various homes you stop at are gonna go off on you?
    Bet you get some strange looks from passing motorists too.

I'm always in full face paint, and carry a various assortment of cutlery. Dogs have no choice but to behave, as well as their owners, who always seem to pay on the spot

#80 7 years ago

They'll be strapped down real tight to the roof of my mustang

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Best of luck, and be safe!
    I'm assuming you'll need a decent load to make a trip though, huh? Don't see how you could work for $250, seems a tad low to me but maybe not.

It's really going to be all in the planning, with some pins being picked up and staged at my house for delivery the next weekend. With me being able to use my company vehicles it keeps my initial start up costs to an absolute minimum.

#84 7 years ago

Thank you guys, for all the consideration. Your pins will be in good hands.

#86 7 years ago

Minnesota seems to be a hotbed for pins, I'm scheduled to be there in a couple of weeks

2 weeks later
    #95 7 years ago

Thank you everybody for your support. Unfortunately I will be unavailable for the next 3-4 weeks because of an unforeseen medical procedure. I will still be taking and setting up shipments during that time, as I will be bored and doped up :oo so if you aren't in a big hurry shoot me a pm and we can set something up.

Thanks
    Jaybird

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from per3per3:

Any chance that the DC area is within your range?

Dc is not in my range, I believe there's a guy that takes care of the east coast, pins on the move, I believe

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from rstrunks:

I am in Fort Smith Arkansas which is west central arkansas right on oklahoma border. I am interested in using your services as well. I have used STI for years and am always looking for an alternative.

Ft Smith is under my 10 hour range, which I'll do when I have other pickup/ drop offs in that general vicinity.

#102 7 years ago

Please have Quality Control Dept and Logistics Dept double-check your orders and your delivery/travel plans over the next few months.
    We don't want any of this sort of stuff happening:
    OK, so you want your new Pabst Can Crusher machine delivered to the Budweiser Brewery in St. Louis, and a 4-egg ham and cheese omelette, then deliver R2D2 to Chicago Bears Training Camp to help with coaching. Got it.

Seeing how I'm QC and logistics, I will be sure and triple check all orders, thank you for your input

#105 7 years ago

I have confidence in you jaybird. I was only replying to your post where you said you will be doped up during the medical stay.

Lol, I know, I was just being a smart ass.

#107 7 years ago

Ok guys my procedure went well and I will be resuming the Aug 20-21. I will be in south Mi/ northern Ohio to Wisconsin. If anybody needs a pin transported let me know.

Thank you for your support

#109 7 years ago

Thanks a lot Rich, I really appreciate it!

#110 7 years ago

I'll be in Mi, N Oh, In, Wi if anybody would like a pin shipped by the 21st.

Thanks

Jaybird

#112 7 years ago

I've only delivered double wides down there, but I'm sure I can squeeze a pin in there.

#115 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

glad you are feeling better Jay!

Thanks Hilton it's been a rough week, but I've got buddies like Gryszzz who keep me motivated

#116 7 years ago
    Quoted from Okarcades:

Do you ever make it South Dakota?

I could, as I've never been and always wanted to check it out. I love to travel is one of the main reasons I do this. Send me a pm and we'll see if we can work something out.

Thanks

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaybird815.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-interest-in-a-midwest-pin-shipping-co?tu=jaybird815 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.