(Topic ID: 163988)

Any interest in a Midwest pin shipping co.?

By Jaybird815

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

uber_trucking (resized).jpg
    zombie-apocalypse-2016_(resized).jpg
    totaled-pinbot_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160702_080405184_(resized).jpg
    There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 7 years ago

I have always thought it would be a nice feature for pinside to have a map function where you can place "looking for transport" or "transport offered".

For example I take a trip out to CO twice each year and often have room to transport a game or 2 each way.

I also often buy games and then have a set timeframe to pick them up and could use this feature. i.e. "transport wanted: pickup in Minneapolis: deliver to Madison. and then someone driving could opt to make a couple hundo...

#52 7 years ago

Ok, I've decide to go ahead and give this a go. I'm pretty excited about it, and I'm in the process of just getting all the insurances in order which turns out isn't very much as I'm already covered for the pins in transit. I'm tentatively going to be starting the weekend of the 23rd. I will be in the Lexington area that weekend, so any pins in that area I would be able to grab and deliver. The weekend of the 30th I'd be out in the Wichita area. Let me know if you could use my services. I'd appreciate any thoughts on ways of spreading the word. Hopefully this is a worthwhile endeavor, that is beneficial to this hobby I love. Please post here or PM with any questions. I look forward to providing great service to you all.

Thank you
    Jaybird

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Ok, I've decide to go ahead and give this a go.

Best wishes !

LTG : )

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Best wishes !
    LTG : )

Thanks LTG! It seems there is a need for it and there isn't much risk on my end because I pretty much have everything I need already. And if for some reason it doesn't work out, so be it, I'd rather try and fail then not try at all.

#55 7 years ago

good luck!

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

burned by Randy Buffalo

Good to know there are others that remember the Buffalo Shipping fiasco. Correct me if I'm wrong, his truck broke down on the road and ended up at a towing company that wouldn't release the cargo? Were all the games eventually recovered?

#57 7 years ago

I need one picked up in Mesa Arizona next week and can pay cash for delivery. Ed

#58 7 years ago

Awesome stuff here, i will definitely use this..

#59 7 years ago

I do commercial vinyl decal printing in the West suburbs of Chicago and would be happy to print you advertising/business decals for your delivery vehicles FREE OF CHARGE. I think this is a great idea (and a service I would use) and would like to help get you rolling! I've been helped by so many members here and have met some great people on Pinside and I'd like to pay it forward with my services. PM me when convenient and let me know what you need.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

I'd use you. Lexington KY

I'll be in your area on the 23rd

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

After hearing some shipping horror stories and seeing what people are being charged for shipping a pin, I'm contemplating starting a pin ship co. I have the capability to ship from 1-30 pins by the way of SUV, covered trailer, and box truck with lift gate. It would be weekend only with white glove service, so you wouldn't have to worry about missing any work. I would be able to cover IL, IN, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KY, OH, and TN, for around $250 +/- depending on amount and location. I would donate to pinside for every pin shipped. I'm also looking for ideas from people on what they'd like to see from a pin shipping co. If there's enough interest I'd be willing to buy an escalera to really provide top notch service. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jaybird

Throw Kansas in there. We have some nice BBQ here as well

#63 7 years ago

Your a good man Jaybird, thanks for taking this on. Wish you all the best and I will use you next time for the KC area. Btw...Michelle sends her best regards.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Ok, I've decide to go ahead and give this a go. I'm pretty excited about it, and I'm in the process of just getting all the insurances in order which turns out isn't very much as I'm already covered for the pins in transit. I'm tentatively going to be starting the weekend of the 23rd. I will be in the Lexington area that weekend, so any pins in that area I would be able to grab and deliver. The weekend of the 30th I'd be out in the Wichita area. Let me know if you could use my services. I'd appreciate any thoughts on ways of spreading the word. Hopefully this is a worthwhile endeavor, that is beneficial to this hobby I love. Please post here or PM with any questions. I look forward to providing great service to you all.
    Thank you
    Jaybird

You could make a quick one page website with where you currently are. There are also lots of cool apps out there to pre-install on your site to track you to approximate location. May be really handy for folks to schedule their shipments.

Congrats and good luck in this endeavor!!

#65 7 years ago

Who here is old enough to remember Jack Rabbit Shipping?

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fast-Ed:

I need one picked up in Mesa Arizona next week and can pay cash for delivery. Ed

Unfortunately at this time Mesa is a bit out of my coverage range, I'm trying to stay within a 10 hour radius of Chicago. Thanks for the consideration

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Throw Kansas in there. We have some nice BBQ here as well

I will be doing Kansas as well, I'm tentatively going to in Wichita on the weekend of the 30th, I love me some BBQ

#68 7 years ago

If you could get a "meet me" point with Ray at Games on the Go, you could extend your reach to where he travels... believe he is HQ'ed in Jersey and goes at least to Ohio.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#69 7 years ago

Any idea when you might head to the Saginaw, Michigan area?

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Ok, I've decide to go ahead and give this a go ...

Good luck, my man! I hope it works out for you.

#71 7 years ago

Can you get a website that lists up to date logistic info? That would help in planning.

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Can you get a website that lists up to date logistic info? That would help in planning.

My wife is working on it I hope to have it up by middle of next week, admittedly I'm not the most tech savvy.

#73 7 years ago

Jaybird,

When you are driving down the road and making pick-ups & deliveries, is your face gonna be painted like on your Pinside avatar?

I mean like, don't you think some of the dogs living at the various homes you stop at are gonna go off on you?

Bet you get some strange looks from passing motorists too.

#74 7 years ago

Best of luck, and be safe!

I'm assuming you'll need a decent load to make a trip though, huh? Don't see how you could work for $250, seems a tad low to me but maybe not.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

Man.....i would much rather have a fellow pinhead delivering my pins.....give me huge peace of mind....

Good thing we're all crazy perfectionists

#76 7 years ago

my freight account starts at $135 for one pin or vid (packed and palleted) for up to 3 states away and they are still in business.
    gas is lower these days and newer trucks get better mileage now. if he is picking up pins in a route fashion, he will be fine. it can work.

Quoted from Otaku:

I'm assuming you'll need a decent load to make a trip though, huh? Don't see how you could work for $250, seems a tad low to me but maybe not.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Jaybird,
    When you are driving down the road and making pick-ups & deliveries, is your face gonna be painted like on your Pinside avatar?
    I mean like, don't you think some of the dogs living at the various homes you stop at are gonna go off on you?
    Bet you get some strange looks from passing motorists too.

I'm always in full face paint, and carry a various assortment of cutlery. Dogs have no choice but to behave, as well as their owners, who always seem to pay on the spot

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I'm always in full face paint, and carry a various assortment of cutlery.

Maybe you could deliver fried chicken with each pin too?

#79 7 years ago

You'll want to make sure the machines are properly secured during transport, so they don't fly out when going around corners.
    totaled-pinbot_(resized).jpgtotaled-pinbot_(resized).jpg

#80 7 years ago

They'll be strapped down real tight to the roof of my mustang

#81 7 years ago

Watch out while driving for people playing Pokeman Go that won't know where they are at.
    zombie-apocalypse-2016_(resized).jpgzombie-apocalypse-2016_(resized).jpg

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

It's really going to be all in the planning, with some pins being picked up and staged at my house for delivery the next weekend. With me being able to use my company vehicles it keeps my initial start up costs to an absolute minimum.

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

You'll want to make sure the machines are properly secured during transport, so they don't fly out when going around corners.

Oh god, where's the unsafe tag... that poor thing.

#84 7 years ago

Thank you guys, for all the consideration. Your pins will be in good hands.

#85 7 years ago

This would be great, I would use your service for sure. I can't get away from work long enough to get the long distance pins and this would solve that problem on the buy and sell side. The pin market would really open up for a lot of us(especially Illinois to Minnesota) and I'd feel more comfortable doing transactions when someone who was passionate about the hobby was picking up delivering my game. Don't get me wrong I've had okay experiences at the big companies, but the pins go through so many hands and they just don't understand how important these things are to us.

#86 7 years ago

Minnesota seems to be a hotbed for pins, I'm scheduled to be there in a couple of weeks

#87 7 years ago

Well folks, Jason answered all of my questions to my satisfaction. We've struck a deal on him transporting a pin that I was going to roadtrip for. I can't seem to get off of work long enough to pull it off. I'm sure this will work out well for all involved.

1 week later
    #88 7 years ago

Just got 2 games from Jay.

EXCELLENT transport, great price, great communication, games were both wrapped super well!

I will use JayBird again for sure!

#89 7 years ago

I will use this service.
    Thanks Jaybird!

#90 7 years ago

Really cool service! It would be awesome to be able to see visually on a map where you will be going on any given weekend with a a route and estimated time. You wouldnt even need a website you could just draw lines and type in the times and post it as a pdf or something.

For me I wouldnt mind dropping something off/picking something up from you if I could catch you at an existing stop close to me. Might make it easier to do more volume. Even if you were to make stops downtown in major cities along the way people could pick up or drop off for transport.

I would join an arcade forum and offer up the services there as well.

Ill keep you in mind next time I need something transferred!

#91 7 years ago

I would possibly be willing to use your service when someone is interested in buying a game from me. I'm East of Cincinnati. I'm bookmarking the thread...

#92 7 years ago

Any chance that the DC area is within your range?

#93 7 years ago

How about a twitter account to post your updates/schedule/needs? Super easy.

#94 7 years ago

Jaybird.......T2 arcade to Michigan? Is that a possibility?

#95 7 years ago

Thank you everybody for your support. Unfortunately I will be unavailable for the next 3-4 weeks because of an unforeseen medical procedure. I will still be taking and setting up shipments during that time, as I will be bored and doped up :oo so if you aren't in a big hurry shoot me a pm and we can set something up.

Thanks
    Jaybird

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I will still be taking and setting up shipments during that time, as I will be bored and doped up :oo so if you aren't in a big hurry shoot me a pm and we can set something up.

Please have Quality Control Dept and Logistics Dept double-check your orders and your delivery/travel plans over the next few months.

We don't want any of this sort of stuff happening:
    OK, so you want your new Pabst Can Crusher machine delivered to the Budweiser Brewery in St. Louis, and a 4-egg ham and cheese omelette, then deliver R2D2 to Chicago Bears Training Camp to help with coaching. Got it.

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from per3per3:

Any chance that the DC area is within your range?

Dc is not in my range, I believe there's a guy that takes care of the east coast, pins on the move, I believe

#99 7 years ago

I am in Fort Smith Arkansas which is west central arkansas right on oklahoma border. I am interested in using your services as well. I have used STI for years and am always looking for an alternative.

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from rstrunks:

I am in Fort Smith Arkansas which is west central arkansas right on oklahoma border. I am interested in using your services as well. I have used STI for years and am always looking for an alternative.

Ft Smith is under my 10 hour range, which I'll do when I have other pickup/ drop offs in that general vicinity.

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-interest-in-a-midwest-pin-shipping-co/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.