Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you interested in a Mantis style protector for the Crypt Keeper VUK hole in TFTC?”

• Yes 12 votes
    63%
  • No 7 votes
    37%

(19 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1000896 (resized).JPG
P1000895 (resized).JPG
P1000894 (resized).JPG
P1000885 (resized).JPG
P1000872 (resized).JPG
P1000866 (resized).JPG
P1000871 (resized).JPG
P1000869 (resized).JPG
P1000865 (resized).JPG
P1000859 (resized).JPG
P1000862 (resized).JPG
P1000850 (resized).JPG
P1000806 (resized).JPG
DSCN0280 (resized).JPG
DSCN3477 (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

I am trying to gauge the amount of potential interest in having Mantis Amustments (Kerry Stair) create a Mantis protector for the Crypt Keeper scoop hole for TFTC. I realize that you can purchase a Cliffy protector for this same purpose and the Cliffy protector does a very nice job and looks very nice as well in addition to covering up any existing scoop hole damage.

The Mantis protector sits down in the scoop hole and as a result doesn't come into contact with the pinball on the playfield. On occasion a slow rolling pinball may get slightly diverted when coming into contact with the edge of a Cliffy protector on the playfield. For those of you not familiar with the Mantis style protector I have attached a couple of photos showing Mantis protectors installed in my CFTBL and JP as well as a photo showing a Cliffy protector installed on my TFTC.

If any of you are interested in a Mantis style protector for the Crypt Keeper scoop hole in TFTC please chime in with your opinion. If there is enough interest then it may become a worthwhile project for Kerry to undertake.

Gord

Mantis protector installed on JP
DSCN3477 (resized).JPGDSCN3477 (resized).JPG
Mantis protector installed on CFTBL
DSCN0280 (resized).JPGDSCN0280 (resized).JPG
Cliffy protector installed on TFTC
P1000806 (resized).JPGP1000806 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Could be a cool idea.

#3 6 years ago

I'm in

#4 6 years ago

One last check to see if there is any interest in a Mantis type of VUK hole protector for TFTC. If there isn't a bit more interest it highly unlikely that Kerry will produce this protector.
Thanks.
Gord

Added over 6 years ago: Please ignore the use of 'VUK' in this thread as it was used incorrectly.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

One last check to see if there is any interest in a Mantis type of VUK hole protector for TFTC. If there isn't a bit more interest it highly unlikely that Kerry will produce this protector.
Thanks.
Gord

You should probably give it at least a week or so, and not just 2 days (I didnt even happen to notice this thread until today) to gauge interest in something. Also be sure to post in the TFTC club thread, if you haven't done so already.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You should probably give it at least a week or so, and not just 2 days (I didnt even happen to notice this thread until today) to gauge interest in something. Also be sure to post in the TFTC club thread, if you haven't done so already.

Thanks for the tip. I have now added a posting to the TFTC club thread which references this thread. My past issue with the club threads is that they have become so voluminous that it is very difficult to find specific postings and people have a tendency to skip right over new postings.

Gord

#7 6 years ago

Hi saw your post in the tftc thread. I'm not sure what your type looks like from the three pictures here. None are pics of the VUK but on holes?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

Hi saw your post in the tftc thread. I'm not sure what your type looks like from the three pictures here. None are pics of the VUK but on holes?

Hi,

I am not sure that I understand your question. My photos show the scoop hole from the topside of the playfield where you can see either a Cliffy protector or a Mantis protector installed. On my TFTC photo I have a Cliffy protector installed and on my CFTBL and JP both have Mantis protectors installed.

Gord

#9 6 years ago

Wait so these mantis still protect the scoops in jp like cliffy but are basically not visible? That's awesome.

#10 6 years ago

I don't think a mantis style will work on a tftc, mainly because most tftc games have wear that damages the right edge and mantis protectors only cover the inside. Unless maybe I am misunderstanding what you are thinking of doing.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I don't think a mantis style will work on a tftc, mainly because most tftc games have wear that damages the right edge and mantis protectors only cover the inside. Unless maybe I am misunderstanding what you are thinking of doing.

With a Mantis protector installed on a TFTC the ball will not be contacting the right side of the scoop hole as the ball will contact the Mantis protector instead which lines the inside of the scoop hole. I have Mantis protectors on all of my games (CFTBL, JP, MB) for which they are available and the scoop holes are undamaged on those games.

Gord

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Wait so these mantis still protect the scoops in jp like cliffy but are basically not visible? That's awesome.

You are correct in your assessment. I have always preferred to use Mantis protectors for games where the scoop hole is either undamaged or lightly damaged and if the damage is more severe most folks seem to like to use a Cliffy to hide the damage to the scoop hole as well as protecting the scoop hole from further damage.

I have Mantis protectors on all of my games (CFTBL, JP, MB) for which they are available and the scoop holes are undamaged on those games.

Gord

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

With a Mantis protector installed on a TFTC the ball will not be contacting the right side of the VUK scoop hole as the ball will contact the Mantis protector instead which lines the inside of the VUK scoop hole. I have Mantis protectors on all of my games (CFTBL, JP, MB) for which they are available and the VUK scoop holes are undamaged on those games.
Gord

Right, but most of the tftc games already have significant wear, the cliffy covers the wear and protects the hole. The mantis style only offers protection from further damage. Unless you have a game with no wear, which is really tough to find, for this game most will choose a cliffy style protector.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Right, but most of the tftc games already have significant wear, the cliffy covers the wear and protects the hole. The mantis style only offers protection from further damage. Unless you have a game with no wear, which is really tough to find, for this game most will choose a cliffy style protector.

My TFTC scoop hole doesn't have any wear under my Cliffy protector which is why I would prefer a Mantis protector. Others who have significant wear on the scoop hole will likely opt for a Cliffy protector as you noted.

I have seen a few threads on Pinside where folks with significant wear on their scoop hole will perform a repair to the scoop hole so that the Cliffy protector doesn't get damaged once it is installed. For those folks who choose to repair the scoop hole a Mantis protector might be a nice alternative to a Cliffy protector.

Gord

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi,
I am not sure that I understand your question. My photos show the VUK hole from the topside of the playfield where you can see either a Cliffy protector or a Mantis protector installed. On my TFTC photo I have a Cliffy protector installed and on my CFTBL and JP both have Mantis protectors installed.
Gord

Maybe I'm lost in translation here? I'm thinking VUK is the type behind the crypt tombstone and the one behind the half metal ramp. Holes (example where you start creature feature) are "scoops" to me.

According to this definition, is your protector for VUK or for "scoops"?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

Maybe I'm lost in translation here? I'm thinking VUK is the type behind the crypt tombstone and the one behind the half metal ramp. Holes (example where you start creature feature) are "scoops" to me.
According to this definition, is your protector for VUK or for "scoops"?

You are correct that the Crypt Keeper scoop is not technically a VUK even though it also shoots the ball back out onto the topside of the playfield from the scoop after the scoop shot is made. Once a scoop shot is made the ball sits in in bottom of the scoop and then is fired back onto the topside of the playfield by a coil which I have been incorrectly calling a VUK (Vertical Up-Kicker).

http://www.pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-101/terminology/129-vuk-vertical-up-kicker

Since the ball doesn't go underneath the playfield into a subway this is not technically a VUK as you have noted. Although upon further thought there is no subway feeding the VUK behind the crypt tombstone even though that is clearly a VUK. Oh well, now I am even more confused.

You are correct that behind the crypt tombstone is also a VUK as well as another VUK is behind the half metal ramp. Yes, the protector is for the scoop on TFTC.

I apologize for any confusion created by my incorrect use of VUK terminology.

Gord

#19 6 years ago

GRB1959 lol no worries I was confused myself. I was curious if you had a fun protector solution for the crypt VUK. My scoop is slightly damaged so I need a traditional one that covers the edge a bit. Thanks anyway!

#20 6 years ago

I, unfortunately have wear, so I'm actually going to grab a Cliffy soon, the Mantis would be pointless in my application.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

I, unfortunately have wear, so I'm actually going to grab a Cliffy soon, the Mantis would be pointless in my application.

Yes, I see your point. You will still likely need to perform a repair of some type to the scoop hole prior to installing the Cliffy or it will get bent out of shape pretty quickly.

Gord

#22 6 years ago

I'm interested as well

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

I mentioned this before in other threads but if you don’t repair the wear , your new cliffy will get bent up super quick and the scoop shot would be messed up. Definitely do a repair first.

#24 6 years ago

Hi All,

Good news, Kerry Stair has indicated that there is enough interest to go forward with the project of creating a Mantis style protector for the TFTC scoop hole.

Since Kerry doesn't have access to a TFTC, I am curious if anyone has a TFTC playfield that is not currently installed in a game as it would be easier to get high quality photos along with a ruler in the photos to get top and bottom photos of the TFTC scoop hole. Let me know if anyone has a TFTC playfield that is not installed in a game and would be willing to do this. We will need the scoop hole dimensions (length and width and depth).

If this is not an option I will try to get some decent photos of the scoop hole on my TFTC (top and bottom) with the current Cliffy protector removed. I will also provide measurements of the scoop hole dimensions and the photos of the scoop hole which will include a ruler in the photos so that Kerry can see the measurements of the scoop hole. This will be a bit tricky to accomplish with the playfield in a vertical position for the bottom side photos of the scoop hole with the ruler in the photo.

Gord

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi All,
Good news, Kerry Stair has indicated that there is enough interest to go forward with the project of creating a Mantis style protector for the TFTC scoop hole.
Since Kerry doesn't have access to a TFTC, I am curious if anyone has a TFTC playfield that is not currently installed in a game as it would be easier to get high quality photos along with a ruler in the photos to get top and bottom photos of the TFTC scoop hole. Let me know if anyone has a TFTC playfield that is not installed in a game and would be willing to do this. We will need the scoop hole dimensions (length and width and depth).
If this is not an option I will try to get some decent photos of the scoop hole on my TFTC (top and bottom) with the current Cliffy protector removed. I will also provide measurements of the scoop hole dimensions and the photos of the scoop hole which will include a ruler in the photos so that Kerry can see the measurements of the scoop hole. This will be a bit tricky to accomplish with the playfield in a vertical position for the bottom side photos of the scoop hole with the ruler in the photo.
Gord

Gord....you are the bee's knee's!!!

Thanks for everything!!

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi All,
Gord

I will check with Kruzman. If he has one I can get the photos this weekend.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

I will check with Kruzman. If he has one I can get the photos this weekend.

Hi Chris,

Why don't you hold off on this as Charlie Emory of Spooky Pinball has very graciously offered to take the requested TFTC photos/measurements in the next few days. Thank you so much for the offer, but I think we have it covered for now.

Gord

#28 6 years ago

My playfield is out of my game right now. Let me know what is needed.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

My playfield is out of my game right now. Let me know what is needed.

Hi @PoMC,

Since Charlie Emory of Spooky Pinball has already graciously volunteered to provide the requested photos and measurements of the TFTC scoop hole I do believe that nothing else is required at this time. Thank you for your generous offer just the same and if something changes I will be sure to post and let you know.

Below are descriptions for the TFTC playfield photos that Charlie will provide for Kerry Stair of Mantis Amusements so that Kerry can craft a Mantis protector for the TFTC scoop hole.

Scoop hole photo from FRONT side of playfield without a Cliffy installed and with a ruler next to the scoop hole. This will require 2 photos as the ruler needs to measure length in one photo and width in the other photo.

Scoop hole photo from BACK side of playfield without a Cliffy installed and with a ruler next to the scoop hole. This will require 2 photos as the ruler needs to measure length in one photo and width in the other photo.

The only other photo that Kerry needs is a photo of the underside of the TFTC scoop hole on a populated playfield which I have already taken using my populated TFTC playfield. Charlie will also provide precise scoop hole measurements using digital calipers to measure the length, width and depth of the scoop hole.

I appreciate everyone who has stepped forward to volunteer to provide what is needed so that Kerry can create this TFTC scoop protector, but for now I believe that everything is covered.

Thanks.

Gord

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Gord....you are the bee's knee's!!!
Thanks for everything!!

Thanks for the kind words Sean. If we can get a Mantis protector made for TFTC then it will just be another viable option to protect the TFTC scoop hole.

Gord

1 week later
#31 6 years ago

Keep us updated Gord! I look forward to this product being made! *touch wood*

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Keep us updated Gord! I look forward to this product being made! *touch wood*

Hi Sean,

Will do, Charlie Emery of Spooky Pinball sent me the photos and measurements today for the TFTC scoop hole. I am out of town right now and once I get back home I will send Kerry Stair my photos and the photos/measurements that Charlie sent to me.

Gord

#33 6 years ago

Photos and measurements have been sent to Kerry Stair of Mantis Amusements. I would like to thank Charlie Emery of Spooky Pinball, @spookycharlie, for providing very precise TFTC scoop hole measurements and photos and also Chris Travis of Rock Custom Pinball, @rock914, and Ron Kruzman, @kruzman, for providing a nice photo of the TFTC scoop hole on an NOS TFTC playfield.

I will update this thread when I hear back from Kerry.

Thanks.

Gord

#34 6 years ago

I have heard back from Kerry and he will meet with his guy this week to get a Mantis prototype protector made for the TFTC scoop hole. Once the prototype is complete Kerry will ship it to me to have me test fit it on my TFTC scoop hole.

When that occurs I will take photos of the new Mantis scoop protector installed on my TFTC and post them here.

Gord

#35 6 years ago

Thats great that this is going to happen. I always recommend mantis protectors for pfs I have restored or cleared because they dont show from the top side or effect the ball roll. I use cliffys on a damaged or worn hole, and mantis on new stuff.
good deal. cheers, kruzman

#36 6 years ago

I just heard back from Kerry Stair and a prototype Mantis TFTC scoop hole protector was shipped out to me this morning. When I get the prototype next week I will install it on my TFTC and take photos (top-side and bottom-side) to send to Kerry so that he can finalize the design of the scoop hole protector.

Gord

#37 6 years ago

I received a Mantis TFTC scoop hole protector prototype in the mail today. Installation went very smoothly and the Mantis protector fits the TFTC scoop hole like a glove. The photos below were taken during/after the installation of the Mantis protector.

I would expect that Kerry Stair will have these Mantis TFTC scoop hole protectors available on his Mantis Amusements website in the very near future for anyone wishing to purchase one.

Gord

P1000850 (resized).JPGP1000850 (resized).JPG
P1000859 (resized).JPGP1000859 (resized).JPG
P1000862 (resized).JPGP1000862 (resized).JPG
P1000865 (resized).JPGP1000865 (resized).JPG
P1000869 (resized).JPGP1000869 (resized).JPG
P1000871 (resized).JPGP1000871 (resized).JPG
P1000866 (resized).JPGP1000866 (resized).JPG
P1000872 (resized).JPGP1000872 (resized).JPG

#38 6 years ago

dude that looks amazing. Please let us know how it performs. Will be ordering one!

also - did you pre drill those holes?

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

dude that looks amazing. Please let us know how it performs. Will be ordering one!
also - did you pre drill those holes?

I have played about 15 games or so on my TFTC since installing the Mantis scoop hole protector and it plays very well. The shot is actually a little easier to make now as the bevel at the scoop edges now allows slow rolling balls to drop into the scoop hole.

I did not pre-drill the two holes required to mount the Mantis protector under the playfield. I simply placed the Mantis protector into mounting position and then used a 1/4 Klein nut driver and applied a small amount of steady pressure to screw in the 2 screws which were supplied with the Mantis protector.

The installation is actually very simple. If you currently have a Cliffy protector installed you will need to remove the two posts on the top of the playfield which anchor the Cliffy protector into place and then remove the Cliffy protector.

I am really pleased with how well the Mantis protector looks, plays and protects. If you have a TFTC then this protector is very nice to have on your game.

Please note that both protectors (Mantis and Cliffy) do a very nice job of protecting the scoop hole and it is wise to install one or the other or the scoop hole will eventually get chewed up by the ball. I have had a Cliffy protector installed on my TFTC scoop hole for over 2 years (NOS playfield was installed at that time) and it has kept the scoop hole in perfect shape.

If you have very light damage or no damage on your TFTC scoop hole then this Mantis protector offers a nice alternative. If your TFTC scoop hole is severely damaged then it may make more sense to opt for a Cliffy protector which covers the damage. In either case you may want to repair the TFTC scoop hole prior to installing either protector if the damage is too severe.

Gord

#40 6 years ago

TFTC scoop hole protectors are now available for purchase from Mantis Amusements. A big thank you to Kerry Stair for taking on this project and completing it.

https://mantispinball.com/product/tales-from-the-crypt-hole-protector/

Gord

1 week later
#41 5 years ago

Any more updates on how the scoop is performing? Is the wood still holding up? I've got to assume some of these wood on the top that curbs down will chip away.

#42 5 years ago

Too soon to tell how it will perform, but it fit perfectly and was easy to install. Patched a rough spot at the right edge of the hole, which I'll probably continue to have to fix--but I'd rather go this way than tighten up an already too tight shot with a Cliffy. If the scoop was moved over just a little it would have completely changed this game.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Any more updates on how the scoop is performing? Is the wood still holding up? I've got to assume some of these wood on the top that curbs down will chip away.

After playing about 15 games or so I decided to slightly bend the right side of the Mantis protector by pulling it upwards in the scoop hole so that it covers a little higher on the right side of the scoop hole. I have played about 40 games on my TFTC since installing the Mantis protector and it is looking good.

Below is a photo of my scoop hole after about 40 games on my TFTC with the new Mantis protector installed. Keep in mind that I made a slight adjustment to the right side of the Mantis protector after 15 games or so.

Gord

P1000885 (resized).JPGP1000885 (resized).JPG

#44 5 years ago

Thanks Gord, looks like we might need to do the same. How are the ball rejects if any?

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Thanks Gord, looks like we might need to do the same. How are the ball rejects if any?

Ball rejections to the scoop hole are significantly reduced from the previous protector I had installed. The slower rolling balls now have a clean pathway to the scoop hole without any deflections.

Gord

#46 5 years ago

Good information...thanks for the reply guys!

That playfield looks amazing Gord!

1 week later
#47 5 years ago

This should be the final update that I provide regarding the performance of the Mantis TFTC scoop hole protector. In the past two weeks I have played approximately another 50-60 games and the Mantis protector continues to do a great job of protecting the scoop hole while while not adversely impacting the scoop shot.

Photos of the TFTC scoop hole after playing a total of 90-100 games since the protector has been installed are shown below. Keep in mind that when you install this Mantis protector that you may want to adjust the protector by slightly bending the right side of the protector so that the right side of the protector sits a little higher up in the scoop hole.

Gord

P1000896 (resized).JPGP1000896 (resized).JPG
P1000895 (resized).JPGP1000895 (resized).JPG
P1000894 (resized).JPGP1000894 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 26.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games
Plastics
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-interest-in-a-mantis-style-protector-for-tftc?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.