PB070158 (resized).JPG
IMG_4104 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4102 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4101 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4099 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4100 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4098 (resized).JPEG
#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone, I wanted to post this just to gauge interest.

I have a friend who can cut wedgehead faces out of 1/4" nominal paint-grade plywood (normally birch or poplar) using a laser cutter. I provided him the one pictured (purchased from Ken Head) to see if he can replicate them and, in fact, he can. I will post photos of the ones he makes before taking any actual orders.

I know I've frequently used Bondo to repair damaged heads, but there have been a couple (as in the case of the Gottlieb Drop-A-Card head pictured at the very bottom of the photos shown below) where I'm going to have to completely replace the face.

Because the size of Gottlieb heads can vary a bit, I'm thinking of offering two sizes:

1. One would be a "standard" size (I'd base it on the measurements of one of my wedgeheads like Atlantis, and I'd publish that size and call it "standard")

2. The other size would be 1/4" larger all the way around to give you some margin in case your head is bigger. It would mean you'd make four straight cuts around the outside on a table saw/etc. once receiving them and measuring for exact size of your head (but the inner hole would be the same and not need any modification).

Obviously, if you're good with wood-working and a router, you can make these yourself, but I thought perhaps the Gottlieb EM community here might have demand for some of these for restorations.

These would be $45 plus shipping.

At this point, I'm just seeing if there's any demand for these. If you think you'd want one (or more) let me know. I am going to see what shipping would cost later this week and can provide that info too.

Mark

IMG_4098 (resized).JPEGIMG_4098 (resized).JPEGIMG_4099 (resized).JPEGIMG_4099 (resized).JPEGIMG_4100 (resized).JPEGIMG_4100 (resized).JPEGIMG_4101 (resized).JPEGIMG_4101 (resized).JPEGIMG_4102 (resized).JPEGIMG_4102 (resized).JPEGIMG_4104 (resized).JPEGIMG_4104 (resized).JPEG

#2 5 years ago

A very good idea and a reasonable price.

#3 5 years ago

Nice idea GB...I'm sure there are people who would want these who don't want to bother or aren't comfortable enough to make these themselves - I also think the shipping cost is an important piece...that could prove to be cost ineffective.

I'm curious what wedgeheads are larger? I can't think of any...and the many wedgies I have in storage are all the same size which I can tell easily because of how they are "stacked", but then again I don't have alot of 70s games...just curious mostly - I just can't think of any off-sized ones and it's kinda killing me. lol

Sean

#4 5 years ago

A great idea Mark, and a very nice prototype, but I am not sure that someone who cannot cutout a face using a circular saw and jigsaw would have the capability to remove the old face and attach the new one.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Hi everyone, I wanted to post this just to gauge interest.
I have a friend who can cut wedgehead faces out of 1/4" nominal paint-grade plywood (normally birch or poplar) using a laser cutter. I provided him the one pictured (purchased from Ken Head) to see if he can replicate them and, in fact, he can. I will post photos of the ones he makes before taking any actual orders.
I know I've frequently used Bondo to repair damaged heads, but there have been a couple (as in the case of the Gottlieb Drop-A-Card head pictured at the very bottom of the photos shown below) where I'm going to have to completely replace the face.
Because the size of Gottlieb heads can vary a bit, I'm thinking of offering two sizes:
1. One would be a "standard" size (I'd base it on the measurements of one of my wedgeheads like Atlantis, and I'd publish that size and call it "standard")
2. The other size would be 1/4" larger all the way around to give you some margin in case your head is bigger. It would mean you'd make four straight cuts around the outside on a table saw/etc. once receiving them and measuring for exact size of your head (but the inner hole would be the same and not need any modification).
Obviously, if you're good with wood-working and a router, you can make these yourself, but I thought perhaps the Gottlieb EM community here might have demand for some of these for restorations.
These would be $45 plus shipping.
At this point, I'm just seeing if there's any demand for these. If you think you'd want one (or more) let me know. I am going to see what shipping would cost later this week and can provide that info too.
Mark
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks like a flood survivor.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

That looks like a flood survivor.

Yeah that Drop A Card has seen better days...

#7 5 years ago

Just thought I'd bump this in case anyone's currently interested. I think I'm going to go ahead and have 4 of them made (I need two) and then we'll see where it goes from there...

#8 5 years ago

yea figure out shipping. Another piece of this is a little brad nailer to reattach.

1 year later
#9 3 years ago

Hi, bumping this because I’m about to refurbish a 2001 head. If you had one of these I’d buy it.

#10 3 years ago

I made these myself a few years back. My advice is to either make it yourself, or buy the oversize one and trim it back. To trim it back, use a flush cutting router bit, piloted on the bottom. BE CAREFUL of the top, as the router bit will fall into the vent holes if they are not covered, or your pilot cannot be adjusted to not hit the vents.

Added some pictures of the bit. I used some Melamine tape I had laying around to cover the vent holes.

PB070158 (resized).JPGPB070158 (resized).JPGPB080162 (resized).jpgPB080162 (resized).jpgPB080163 (resized).jpgPB080163 (resized).jpg
#11 3 years ago

I'd take a couple if they were still available.

3 weeks later
#12 3 years ago

@newmantjn, your work looks great. I see you used an air stapler or similar tool to fasten your replacement face piece to the backbox, as I've seen others do. Presumably you used glue as well. My question is: how can I proceed without an air stapler or compressor? Is it strictly necessary to staple/nail the face to the backbox, or can I just glue them together and let it cure? If it's important to nail/staple the face, can I use a hammer and a punch with some kind of brads or nails?

#13 3 years ago

It is more convenient and probably neater to use an air tool but not essential. Wood glue and fixing nails punched and mark filled prior to paint fine.

#14 3 years ago

There's a lot of good advice in this thread. I routed two replacement faces last night from 1/4" birch plywood. I decided to go ahead and fully route the inside and outside to fit the head, as opposed to waiting until the face is mounted on the head to route the outside. It's just too much of a pain to set up the router and clean everything up, so I didn't want to do it twice. It's a messy job to do in a room that's not a dedicated wood shop! Again, I might wish I'd done differently when I get things assembled...we'll see. Anyway it's routed from the same surface so the result should be the same, assuming I can mount it precisely.

The birch plywood I used was kind of splintery and the router left some shaggy edges, which was disappointing. It cleaned up with sandpaper, so not a huge deal. It was probably a skills deficiency, as it was my first time using a router. I cut in the proper direction (i.e. not letting the router pull itself) so I'm not sure what I should have done differently. All the videos I've watched show a pristine edge straight from the router, although perhaps not with thin plywood (?)

Once I have these all sanded (and once I've traced the art on the head!) I'll pick the better of the two to mount on the head. I have an extra "dog" head that's currently on my 2001, so I'll probably mount the other face on that head and sand it down for another yet-to-be-purchased-someday wedgehead (since many of them seem to have chipped face plates!)

IMG_6107.JPGIMG_6107.JPG
#15 3 years ago

looks good!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-interest-gottlieb-wedgehead-wooden-faces and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.