Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 55 days ago by pinhead52
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4104 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4102 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4101 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4099 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4100 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4098 (resized).JPEG

#1 61 days ago

Hi everyone, I wanted to post this just to gauge interest.

I have a friend who can cut wedgehead faces out of 1/4" nominal paint-grade plywood (normally birch or poplar) using a laser cutter. I provided him the one pictured (purchased from Ken Head) to see if he can replicate them and, in fact, he can. I will post photos of the ones he makes before taking any actual orders.

I know I've frequently used Bondo to repair damaged heads, but there have been a couple (as in the case of the Gottlieb Drop-A-Card head pictured at the very bottom of the photos shown below) where I'm going to have to completely replace the face.

Because the size of Gottlieb heads can vary a bit, I'm thinking of offering two sizes:

1. One would be a "standard" size (I'd base it on the measurements of one of my wedgeheads like Atlantis, and I'd publish that size and call it "standard")

2. The other size would be 1/4" larger all the way around to give you some margin in case your head is bigger. It would mean you'd make four straight cuts around the outside on a table saw/etc. once receiving them and measuring for exact size of your head (but the inner hole would be the same and not need any modification).

Obviously, if you're good with wood-working and a router, you can make these yourself, but I thought perhaps the Gottlieb EM community here might have demand for some of these for restorations.

These would be $45 plus shipping.

At this point, I'm just seeing if there's any demand for these. If you think you'd want one (or more) let me know. I am going to see what shipping would cost later this week and can provide that info too.

Mark

IMG_4098 (resized).JPEGIMG_4099 (resized).JPEGIMG_4100 (resized).JPEGIMG_4101 (resized).JPEGIMG_4102 (resized).JPEGIMG_4104 (resized).JPEG

#2 61 days ago

A very good idea and a reasonable price.

#3 60 days ago

Nice idea GB...I'm sure there are people who would want these who don't want to bother or aren't comfortable enough to make these themselves - I also think the shipping cost is an important piece...that could prove to be cost ineffective.

I'm curious what wedgeheads are larger? I can't think of any...and the many wedgies I have in storage are all the same size which I can tell easily because of how they are "stacked", but then again I don't have alot of 70s games...just curious mostly - I just can't think of any off-sized ones and it's kinda killing me. lol

Sean

#4 60 days ago

A great idea Mark, and a very nice prototype, but I am not sure that someone who cannot cutout a face using a circular saw and jigsaw would have the capability to remove the old face and attach the new one.

#5 60 days ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Hi everyone, I wanted to post this just to gauge interest.
I have a friend who can cut wedgehead faces out of 1/4" nominal paint-grade plywood (normally birch or poplar) using a laser cutter. I provided him the one pictured (purchased from Ken Head) to see if he can replicate them and, in fact, he can. I will post photos of the ones he makes before taking any actual orders.
I know I've frequently used Bondo to repair damaged heads, but there have been a couple (as in the case of the Gottlieb Drop-A-Card head pictured at the very bottom of the photos shown below) where I'm going to have to completely replace the face.
Because the size of Gottlieb heads can vary a bit, I'm thinking of offering two sizes:
1. One would be a "standard" size (I'd base it on the measurements of one of my wedgeheads like Atlantis, and I'd publish that size and call it "standard")
2. The other size would be 1/4" larger all the way around to give you some margin in case your head is bigger. It would mean you'd make four straight cuts around the outside on a table saw/etc. once receiving them and measuring for exact size of your head (but the inner hole would be the same and not need any modification).
Obviously, if you're good with wood-working and a router, you can make these yourself, but I thought perhaps the Gottlieb EM community here might have demand for some of these for restorations.
These would be $45 plus shipping.
At this point, I'm just seeing if there's any demand for these. If you think you'd want one (or more) let me know. I am going to see what shipping would cost later this week and can provide that info too.
Mark
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks like a flood survivor.

#6 60 days ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

That looks like a flood survivor.

Yeah that Drop A Card has seen better days...

#7 55 days ago

Just thought I'd bump this in case anyone's currently interested. I think I'm going to go ahead and have 4 of them made (I need two) and then we'll see where it goes from there...

#8 55 days ago

yea figure out shipping. Another piece of this is a little brad nailer to reattach.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 7,500.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 1,200.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 24.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
€ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside