(Topic ID: 69676)

Any info whatsoever on a MB remake at this point?

By Khabbi

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by FreePlayJ
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Just curious? Seems the Universal Licensing would be a major thing to overcome?

Has anyone heard anything?

#2 10 years ago

I contacted PP about MB last week, and there is no plans on doing MB at the moment. It seems as though the Universal licensing thing would be too costly to make it worth the re-make effort, especially when they can pump out AFM and other titles w/o having to worry about licensing.

PP has been keeping things under wraps but I'm sure they will do anything to make a buck at this point (and why not)?

#3 10 years ago

One and done...

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

One and done...

Not yet. Let's see how this one goes.

#5 10 years ago

I would think that would be the standard "can" answer to any question about the next title.
    "no plans on doing ______________ (fill in the blank) at the moment.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

One and done...

Wanna make a bet on that?

#7 10 years ago

Don't hold your breath for MB. They may have licensing for Bally/Williams, but not for major studio licensed games (Star trek, MB to name a few).

Look at farsight studios, they had to do a Kickstarter to do Star Trek and TZ!

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

One and done...

NONE and DONE would be better!

#9 10 years ago

My understanding is that Monster Bash is next, then AFM, then No Fear....

Let the good times roll!!!

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from kismetnumber1:

My understanding is that Monster Bash is next, then AFM, then No Fear....

and then you woke up...

#11 10 years ago

If you own old Bally Williams games, the answer is "no, they will not", if you wish you owned the old Bally/Williams games, the answer is "oh yeah, they are going to remake them"!

Bottom line is no one knows and there is no solid info out there on any other title, period.

Lets just see how the MM remake goes? I've got one on order and I want them to focus on this one before anything else!

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

Look at farsight studios, they had to do a Kickstarter to do Star Trek and TZ!

Look at Farsight studios, they didn't have to do a Kickstarter to do MB.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Look at Farsight studios, they didn't have to do a Kickstarter to do MB.

Doesn't mean they didn't eat the licensing fees, then figured out that it wasn't worth their time and put the other titles out for everyone else to pay for so they could make a profit.

#14 10 years ago

Plus +1 MB "oh yeah, they are going to remake them" camp.

Cause I want one

Minis -1 TZ "no, they will not"

Cause I have one

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Universal Monsters is a super easy license to get.

They have shoes, facial tissue, paper plates, you name it, licensed from them.

If you think about it, "Universal Monsters" have not made a movie since 1960 - so that is a lot of successful licensing deals around that kids still know who the characters are today; 50+ years latter .

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

NONE and DONE would be better!

For who?

#17 10 years ago

For you and all of pinball… you just can't figure that out. I'm tired of holding your hand.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Universal Monsters is a super easy license to get.

They have shoes, facial tissue, paper plates, you name it, licensed from them.

If you think about it, "Universal Monsters" have not made a movie since 1960 - so that is a lot of successful licensing deals around that kids still know who the characters are today; 50+ years latter .

Oh, come on. Kiss has toilet paper, candy, sunglasses, and everything else, and Gary Stern will tell you the licensing for pinball is a totally different thing.

#19 10 years ago

Rick has pretty much covered this in other threads and also shot down "they can't do <insert game name here> because of the licenses".

Before the MMR announcement, the official stance was "We have not announced a remake of Medieval Madness".

Nothing has changed - until PPS makes an announcement to the contrary, assume they could remake any B/W title they want. All the speculation about what they might do when does absolutely nothing except create more threads to beat the same dead horses to death again.

Nobody knows - and nobody will - before Rick makes the next announcement.

#20 10 years ago

So the bottom line- Everything up to this point about remakes, except MMR, is speculative in nature.

Thanks!

#21 10 years ago

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgp-announcement-universal-mb-cftbl-license-renewed#post-251569

So, does my search fu fail me or is a recently renewed license the reason you can buy universal monsters game parts now?

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Khabbi:

So the bottom line- Everything up to this point about remakes, except MMR, is speculative in nature.

I would even include MM refake as speculative at this point...

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

I would even include MM refake as speculative at this point...

lol

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

For you and all of pinball… you just can't figure that out. I'm tired of holding your hand.

I wouldn't have purchased a MM otherwise. Now I am. That's good for me.

Sorry about the MMs you're sitting on...hey, it's some neat furniture at least.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Sorry about the MMs you're sitting on...hey, it's some neat furniture at least.

sorry to disappoint you but I own ZERO MM today… now hurry up and give me a thumbs down!

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

sorry to disappoint you but I own ZERO MM today… now hurry up and give me a thumbs down!

You got it, buddeh! On on the house!

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from gamestencils:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgp-announcement-universal-mb-cftbl-license-renewed#post-251569
    So, does my search fu fail me or is a recently renewed license the reason you can buy universal monsters game parts now?

So since they are remaking Borg ships for STTNG, they license is open and free to remake the entire game?

You paying all the licensing for your artwork?

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

In all sincerity, I would like to understand how MMR is bad for pinball. I look at it from the standpoint that over 1,000 people will be getting a pin that plays the same as the original and for the most part looks the same for $5k to $7k less. Do you think that the quality will not be good? If that's the case, PPS will be one and done in the remake business. Maybe you've already given your point of view and I missed it.

#29 10 years ago

The license wouldn't be that hard to acquire trust me its not like they don't want more money any money from products is good money.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Khabbi:

Has anyone heard anything?

Must be debating a restoration?

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

In all sincerity, I would like to understand how MMR is bad for pinball. I look at it from the standpoint that over 1,000 people will be getting a pin that plays the same as the original and for the most part looks the same for $5k to $7k less. Do you think that the quality will not be good? If that's the case, PPS will be one and done in the remake business. Maybe you've already given your point of view and I missed it.

Yes, you are correct! 1000+ people getting the most desirable game of all time at a "decent" price = good.

His POV - it takes money away from the other people in pinball...Stern, JJP, restoration guys, etc.

My POV - that's a disingenuous theory because he never complained about any of those guys taking money away from each other.

#32 10 years ago

MMr is announced. If they stay on stated roadmap - that's all you'll see from PP in 2014. AFM is heavily rumored as #2 which takes you through 2015.

If you want a MB buy one now. If you want to wait - wait. Likely 2016.

#33 10 years ago

They will do AFM, CC and Funhouse first. MB if it does happen will be many years out.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

They will do AFM, CC and Funhouse first. MB if it does happen will be many years out.

Funhouse only makes sense if they can sell it at a much lower price. $8k for new "A" titles seems "reasonable" due to what used ones sell for. Not sure what restored FH's go for but regular joe ones are still like $2k-$3k-ish.

#35 10 years ago

Disclaimer: This is just a rumor... "I don't believe in rumors"

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Funhouse only makes sense if they can sell it at a much lower price. $8k for new "A" titles seems "reasonable" due to what used ones sell for. Not sure what restored FH's go for but regular joe ones are still like $2k-$3k-ish.

Yeah I know. Funny thing is I had a dream the other night that FH was the next game up for remake! I just thought I would throw that in there. I do think that AFM and CC will be the next two up.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL quoting myself...

...just a thought - a more expensive Funhouse could probably work if they make it a bit extra special. Remaster the music and voices so the sound quality is WPC'95 quality - hopefully with the original files or re-recorded with the same actor. Give it a DMD w/ some brand new dot animation...look at Dutch Pinball's excellent work on BOP 2.0! In this case though, I'd keep the rules exactly the same...but just give it some sweet animation of Rudy & whatnot on the display.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Funny thing is I had a dream the other night that FH was the next game up for remake!

Yep, a lotta of that going on here...

#39 10 years ago

Man, hard for me to believe all the energy/enthusiasm for a not-so-inexpensive remake when it's totally unclear how it's going to turn out. Boring. I have 0 interest in any remake...natural beauties are my preference.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-info-whatsoever-on-a-mb-remake-at-this-point and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.