(Topic ID: 8952)

Any info on starting a route/becoming an operator?

By Winball_Pizard

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141028_132619-707.jpg
    20141028_135343-498.jpg
    20141028_132623.jpg
    20141028_132632-488.jpg
    20141028_134920-164.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 10 years ago

phish race >> how do you typically set up DMD and more recent SS games for route?

how hard? open outlanes? tight tilts? setting changes? etc...

pricing?

thanks for the info.

#43 10 years ago

Thanks for all the info phishrace!

I am currently looking into the logistics and now seriously examining how to go about routing games. A few of us are trying to find a single location to put 4 to 6 games. We want to make a spot worth actually playing in town (opposed to the few bars with 1-2 barely working pins).

Thanks again for the info. It provides a really good template of things to think about.

9 months later
    #49 9 years ago

One machine on route will never make you money, if that is your goal.

Insurance, licensee fees, effort, maintainence... All adds up quick. need to split your time and up front costs over multiple machines if you even want to break even. Location pinball does not make dollars unless you own the location and run a barcade sort of place. Then the cash comes from no split and drinks.

#52 9 years ago

We now have 2 spots. Players are both casual and regulars. Either way the costs do not add up for doing it.

It takes LOTS of effort to keep games playing well on route and you need to want to do it for the side benefits. Things like making new friends, seeing new people get it, running monthly competitions are whatmake it worthwhile for me. The coin drop is not enough in madison to do much more besides pay for costs, even that is a stretch. You won't be making enough to even come close to making it worthwhile to buy a new 5k game unless you enjoy playing your own game on route and sharing with others. I did not believe all the experienced operators last year when I was asking the same questions. Now i have 7 months experience and can say that they were 100% right. If you can find a spot with NO split then it may make you enough to do something worthwhile... Really depends on location as i know spot hots spots in the right cities are bumping, but still plan to spend tONS of time of a hobby enveavor.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-info-on-starting-a-routebecoming-an-operator?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.