(Topic ID: 248230)

Picture added. Any ideas how to remove a glued mod from a ramp on a LE machine?

By Loganpinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1EB0300C-F14D-4493-9046-9E6B52EAA1DE (resized).jpeg
    4BD21DEF-D3A0-484D-8D44-6E3C79B6A5B9 (resized).jpeg
    1OEDtMG (resized).jpg
    9215D6BF-A802-4069-99C7-2DCB7C72C1B4 (resized).png
    IMG_5363 (resized).PNG
    AB4072BF-2348-4B0E-B670-82B407FFD238 (resized).jpeg
    5E53295F-D206-43EA-B416-FF4529E9202B (resized).jpeg
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I bought a star trek le with some hideous mods on it. The right ramp has a mr spock in a chair glued to plastic ramp cover. Kirk was velcroed to other ramp so that was easy. I just dont want to kill the plastic and guessing I am stuck with mr spock. Any ideas? Or do I leave it on the machine? I really do not like mods on the playfield and the kirk was beyond terrible. Who does this to a Le machine! Is there a way to remove epoxy from plastic that wont kill it?
    5E53295F-D206-43EA-B416-FF4529E9202B (resized).jpeg5E53295F-D206-43EA-B416-FF4529E9202B (resized).jpeg

#2 4 years ago
    AB4072BF-2348-4B0E-B670-82B407FFD238 (resized).jpegAB4072BF-2348-4B0E-B670-82B407FFD238 (resized).jpeg
    #3 4 years ago

Open up the game, get some good lighting and post a pic as close to where it is glued to the ramp as possible. Need to try and see what is glued on with. If you can remove the ramp and take a shot from under that would probably be better. Depending on where/how it is glued you may be able to just pop it off (hot glue would work this way). If they used any sort of bonding adhesive that melts plastic you'll be up schitts creek. But if it is on a tab of the ramp that isn't structural (I don't know the game layout) you could possibly just cut the tab off.

If you do end up prying it off and there is residue left over you can possibly sand the ramp and polish it. So there are options but need a much better picture to help any more.

#4 4 years ago

Some people turn their pinball machines into doll houses unfortunately, a better pic would help , you may be able to dremel it off then sand and polish the plastic where it was glued to the ramp..

#5 4 years ago

I am sitting in a er room bed being treated and bored out of my mind. When I get released and get home I will take better pictures. I figured since I am stuck here I could ask for help on it and kill some time as I am waiting on a ct scan at 1130pm. Joy!!

#6 4 years ago

It is glued on top of the half moon plastic on the ramp. The cover that prevents the ball from going air born on turn.

#7 4 years ago

looks like spock is taking a #2 on your ramp from the pic, and reading a magazine.
    is it superglue or hot glue?

cut spock off and remove as much of him as possible.
    if it's super, just clean the crap out of it with acetone. if it's hot, hopefully it didn't melt the plastic, but should peel off pretty easily.
    if it's epoxy, maybe muriatic acid (hopefully it doesn't mess up the plastic)
    Then buff it out with plastic polish. It'll leave a bunch of tiny scratches, it's either that or spock chilling on your ramp forever.

#8 4 years ago

Will acetone start melting the plastic?

Lol, I was just talking about you in another thread.

#9 4 years ago

Good news is it's not on the ramp but the cover. I dont recall any art there so it would be super easy to reproduce.

You could break it off then send smooth with progressively finer sand paper down to compound and polish. Would be a lot of work but doable. Think headlight restoration.

#10 4 years ago

The looks like spock on the toilet reading a magazine is hilarious and why I want it off. I did try and wiggle him off and it did not budge. I think its epoxy over hot glue because hot glue usually stretches this is solid. Thanks for the comments.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

Will acetone start melting the plastic?
    Lol, I was just talking about you in another thread.

All plastic is a little different, but I don't believe so. I had to do that to the crystal ball black plastic (on WOZ) when the ball fell off a long time ago.
    Don't remember it melting the plastic, but It wasn't clear. So the imperfections weren't real noticeable, most plastics can be cleaned up pretty well.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Loganpinball:The looks like spock on the toilet reading a magazine is hilarious and why I want it off.

Man, worst mod ever.

#14 4 years ago

This reminds me of that other thread awhile back if mods increase or decrease value.

#15 4 years ago

What I would do: curse the fucker before you who did it. Cant stand hot glue gunning dolls in a game... particularly ST LE which is arguably Sterns last REAL limited edition.

Like with my TAF, shit mods were everywhere with holes and velcro in plastics and wood. Only way was to remove them and then get a new plastic set for when I do my PF swap sometime late 2020.

#16 4 years ago

This is super easy.

Sell the game to someone who likes that stuff and buy one without.

#17 4 years ago

Depending on the glue it probably wouldn't hurt to use a hairdryer on it and maybe make it easier to peel off

#18 4 years ago

Here you go. Not for the ramp, for the idiot that glued it on.

IMG_5363 (resized).PNGIMG_5363 (resized).PNG
    #19 4 years ago

Agreed!

#20 4 years ago

Never understood why people crap out their games with cheap ugly toys. Spent a day removing countless ugly toys from a William IJ. Man did it look a ton better when I was done.

#21 4 years ago

How expensive/large is the plastic ramp cover part? Perhaps buy a new one and just replace thus working around need to remove Spock.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Loganpinball:

I am sitting in a er room bed being treated and bored out of my mind. When I get released and get home I will take better pictures. I figured since I am stuck here I could ask for help on it and kill some time as I am waiting on a ct scan at 1130pm. Joy!!

Hope everything is ok.

#23 4 years ago

Thanks. Still here had to have emergency surgery. Appreciate it.

#24 4 years ago

I am sitting in a er room bed being treated and bored out of my mind. When I get released and get home I will take better pictures.

"It's only pinball" Rudy. Just kidding, hope your ok.

#25 4 years ago

Why don't you just ball him up with Aluminum foil and pretend it is one of those baked potato asteroids?

Just kidding. Dermal cutting disk as close as you can and see how it looks. Take lots of pics to post in the thread "Do Mods devalue games". Put the name of the guy who did this on the wall of same.

Get well soon.

#26 4 years ago

I will do all that. The seller got the game from someone else and sold it to me. He actually removed a lizard man from the play field for me before I picked it up. I think he left the other stuff so he would not break the ramps. It was the green lizard from the kirk fights lizard episode on some planet. Bad mod hall of fame. Nothing to do with the movies and a reference to to original show. Jacked up on pain meds in a hospital and reading pinside. Perfect way to kill time. I am doing better. Thanks again for the thought.

#27 4 years ago
    9215D6BF-A802-4069-99C7-2DCB7C72C1B4 (resized).png9215D6BF-A802-4069-99C7-2DCB7C72C1B4 (resized).png
    #28 4 years ago

The only thing he did right was get an actual Gorn figure (Original Series Ep "Arena").

But, putting Kirk, Spock and other Original Series toys on a game based on the new alternate universe is pretty off the wall.

#29 4 years ago

You sir are worthy. Nice pull on the name. I could not remember it. And I am a fan of both original and kelvin timelines. I might be alone on pinball machines, but I like all the star trek machines. Bally, data east, williams and stern. I have had them all. I miss my data east staf trek. It had some deep references from the show and I liked the way it shot. Not the deepest game, but I really enjoyed the way it shot.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Here you go. Not for the ramp, for the idiot that glued it on.

Right.....tool.....for.....the.....job

1OEDtMG (resized).jpg1OEDtMG (resized).jpg
    #31 4 years ago
    4BD21DEF-D3A0-484D-8D44-6E3C79B6A5B9 (resized).jpeg4BD21DEF-D3A0-484D-8D44-6E3C79B6A5B9 (resized).jpeg
    #33 4 years ago

I just got home today. I am not able to remove ramp for underneath pictures. I have to wait a few days due to er visit. As I said I think it is epoxy and I looked online for replacement plastic and did not see one. I just do not want to remove it and have some damaged plastics as a result if I can help it.

#34 4 years ago

Set phasers to unglue.

#35 4 years ago

Like @The Law states a razor blade scraper. Use it on as flat as angle as you can. If that grey adhesive is an epoxy, the blade might not make a dent in it. Strong solvents like lacquer thinner, can melt the plastic ramp, turning it white, not good.
    The ramp could be already damaged by the adhesive, From under the plastic can you see the grey colour of the adhesive, or do you see a whitish effect?

#36 4 years ago

Looks white from underneath. I would rather be stuck with looking at spock over damaged ramp plastic. Its in a spot that would be seen easily and I think that would upset me more than spock.

#37 4 years ago

Looks white from underneath. I would rather be stuck with looking at spock over damaged ramp plastic. Its in a spot that would be seen easily and I think that would upset me more than spock.

Shit or get off the pot. Take a razor blade and 2 minutes of your time and see if you can get it off.

#38 4 years ago

I'm betting the razor blade will do the trick.

#39 4 years ago

Also to add to this. The ramp may have been scuffed up so the adhesive had a better chance of sticking to such a smooth surface.

#40 4 years ago

I would try some heat from a hair dryer and then the razor blade, if the plastic looks bad once removed and cant be polished back to looking good maybe put a suitable star trek decal over the damage?

#41 4 years ago

Razor blade took it off just have to figure out how to get the remaining crap off without killing the plastic?

1EB0300C-F14D-4493-9046-9E6B52EAA1DE (resized).jpeg1EB0300C-F14D-4493-9046-9E6B52EAA1DE (resized).jpeg
    #42 4 years ago

What is it...adhesive form a sticker?

More razor blade.

#43 4 years ago

Its hard glue and does not chip easily. The plastic is discolored and milky underneath.

#44 4 years ago

Its hard glue and does not chip easily.

Grey like JB weld?

#45 4 years ago

Could be its rock hard but solid on plastic. The clear plastic under it is discolored and milky. The razor blade does nothing to it.

#46 4 years ago

I might suggest a Star Trek appropriate or hand made decal, or a more subtle mod. There are Borg cubes, other ships, or even the ST logo.

It appears the glue has chemically bonded to the ramp, and you can file and sand close to smooth, but it will never get
    back to original.

If it isnt bonded this way, you could try an increasing amount of heat from a heat gun to soften, but it can be tricky, and again, no decals near, and disassembled.

#47 4 years ago

Sometimes WD40 will cause super glue and hot glue to release from plastic.

#48 4 years ago

Dare I say; have the plastic re-laser cut? I assume it's just the clear piece with no artwork on it?
    I'm thinking about offering "laser cutting" as a service... but haven't really taken it any further beyond just the idea stage.

I have an LE myself; so I could maybe be convinced to use my un-abused plastic as a reference. I'd probably need to source some PETG in the correct thickness.
    Let me know if this interests you.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Let me know if this interests you.

Perhaps start a topic to discuss the possibilities, could get a good feel for interest.

#50 4 years ago

Assuming that is hot glue, use a Qtip to apply isopropyl alcohol to the edges of the glue and it will lift up magically with no residue.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-ideas-how-to-remove-a-glued-mod-from-a-ramp-on-a-le-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.