You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B87FA466-1A35-4CC7-985F-612E87DD07A2 (resized).jpeg
DSC00894 (resized).JPG
DSC00893 (resized).JPG
DSC00892 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I’ve enjoyed visiting Pinside for years now for Pinball but have recently re-discovered the joy of hockey card collecting. I was wondering if anyone else out there collected? I figured people out there might want to share their collections, stories and maybe even want to buy, sell or trade?!

#2 3 years ago

my framed uncut complete sheets from 1974 original price 69 cents a sheet

DSC00894 (resized).JPGDSC00894 (resized).JPGDSC00893 (resized).JPGDSC00893 (resized).JPGDSC00892 (resized).JPGDSC00892 (resized).JPG

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from luch:

my framed uncut complete sheets from 1974 original price 69 cents a piece
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Really cool and killer price! lol

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from SpecialK-33:

I’ve enjoyed visiting Pinside for years now for Pinball but have recently re-discovered the joy of hockey card collecting. I was wondering if anyone else out there collected? I figured people out there might want to share their collections, stories and maybe even want to buy, sell or trade?!

I'm into collecting anything, been collecting hockey since the early 80's but despite living in Canada found the other sports was where the money was. Sold my collection of UD sets from 2000-2010 a few years back and bought vintage other sports.

I've also been featured in Beckett magazine for best player collection in the world. Proudly displayed on my wall.

#5 3 years ago

I have all OPeeChee complete sets from 1975-1990

A few choice cards in there

Gretzky rookie, messier, lemieux.

#6 3 years ago

Got into the hobby by shooting the cards against the wall during recess Never had any interest in their worth ...,but now?

#7 3 years ago

I remember putting in my bicycle wheel spokes with a cloths pin in the 60's and 70's , to make the bike sound like it had a motor , this and the card flipping against the wall is why those one's that didn't get wrecked are valuable , all those one from the 90's were kept pristine and why they will never be worth much !

1 month later
#9 3 years ago

Thought it was worth mentioning that there is quite the surge in both vintage and modern hockey cards right now. Prices are ridiculous. So if anyone was wanting to sell, now’s a good time to get them on EBay!

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from SpecialK-33:

Thought it was worth mentioning that there is quite the surge in both vintage and modern hockey cards right now. Prices are ridiculous. So if anyone was wanting to sell, now’s a good time to get them on EBay!

Holy shit. I just checked and prices do seem crazy. I have thousands of cards from when I collected as a kid and have no idea what is worth what. I honestly have not even looked at them in probably 25-30 years and they are still down my parents house.

I do have a Lemieux and Gretzkry rookie card. They are Topps and I am kicking myself for not getting the OPC version back in the day because the difference wasn't much back then however now the OPC are worth a lot more. Is it worth getting my cards graded? Where is the best place to send them. The Gretzky is autographed so not sure if the helps or hurts the value.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from SpecialK-33:

I'd also be interested in your thoughts of what would be good choices to sell. Is it just cards or all hockey memorabilia that's hot?

#12 3 years ago

Got a huge bunch stashed away as part of my retirement, not just hockey but about anything else you can think of. Some pretty rare stuff, and uncut sheets as well.

John

#13 3 years ago

Get the PSA graded. I’ve been looking into it. Not cheap
https://www.psacard.com/

#14 3 years ago

Heritage auctions is a major auction house for sports cards.

#15 3 years ago

Yeah, PSA is the card grader that most buyers are looking for. Problem is that everybody and their mothers are getting their cards graded right now so there’s like a two month backlog. They do offer a expedited service for more money but I’ve also heard that there’s a big wait time on those customers too. I only have one graded card and I bought it that way so I’ve never sent a card to PSA. Beckett is also a company that does reputable grading. You can do EBay but they’ll take 10% of your sale and PayPal will take another 5%. There’s also a consignment company called COMC (Check out my Cards) who will sell your cards for you. Not too familiar with them but I’ve heard good things. The only thing I do know about them is that once you sell your cards, the money will sit in your account there. You can cash it out or have it sent to your bank but I think they take 10%?
The demand for modern cards (all sports) is just out of control and that is now spilling into the vintage market

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

I'm into collecting anything, been collecting hockey since the early 80's but despite living in Canada found the other sports was where the money was. Sold my collection of UD sets from 2000-2010 a few years back and bought vintage other sports.
I've also been featured in Beckett magazine for best player collection in the world. Proudly displayed on my wall.

Which player(s)?

I wrote a cover story for SGC Monthly on tennis cards, LOL.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from marcus0202:

Which player(s)?
I wrote a cover story for SGC Monthly on tennis cards, LOL.

Lol, I’ve got a few tennis cards kicking around, not a huge market!

So I do have a few player collections, Eddie Matthews, Roy Halladay and my biggest is Troy Glaus. I’ve been collecting his stuff for 21 years now and there isn’t much I don’t have.

Super collector from 10 years ago, featured in Beckett magazine.

B87FA466-1A35-4CC7-985F-612E87DD07A2 (resized).jpegB87FA466-1A35-4CC7-985F-612E87DD07A2 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Lol, I’ve got a few tennis cards kicking around, not a huge market!
So I do have a few player collections, Eddie Matthews, Roy Halladay and my biggest is Troy Glaus. I’ve been collecting his stuff for 21 years now and there isn’t much I don’t have.
Super collector from 10 years ago, featured in Beckett magazine.
[quoted image]

Very nice. I am collecting college cards of star players and noticed that UCLA Troy Glaus card on ebay that is shown in your pic. You might be the seller.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from marcus0202:

Very nice. I am collecting college cards of star players and noticed that UCLA Troy Glaus card on ebay that is shown in your pic. You might be the seller.

Nope not me, I do have a few of them though.

#20 3 years ago

I've got a bunch of cards in sets mostly football and hockey. But I stuck them in box more than 25 years ago and haven't touched them since. These are complete sets in binders from 60' and 70s mostly. I should see what I have.

#21 3 years ago

You should because ALL sports cards AND even novelty cards are huge right now.

#22 3 years ago

That is unless they have sentimental value of course. I’m just selling my doubles and cards I’m not attached to

#23 3 years ago

Other than ebay is there a place you recommend to sell. Not much here in my town.

2 weeks later
#24 3 years ago

There’s an online consignment site called COMC ( “Com C”’). There are different selling platforms to choose from. You send them your cards, they’ll photograph them, you price them and they’ll put them on their website. They’ll even handle shipping. The cost for you is just about the same as EBay, except they do all the work. Another option is card shows. I see you’re in Nevada? I’m sure Vegas has card shows? I know there are still shows going on even with Covid.

11 months later
#25 2 years ago

Thought I'd post something here as it's been awhile. The sportscard market and novelty card market is still just exploding in terms of price. It's crazy what current and even vintage cards are fetching these days. Just wondering if anyone has something fun to add here- a recent sale, purchase, what cards you have hidden from your childhood?

#26 2 years ago

I have some sets from the 80's and 90's. I haven't looked at what I could get for them, or where to sell them at. Ebay is no longer an option for me with the seller fees.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I have some sets from the 80's and 90's. I haven't looked at what I could get for them, or where to sell them at. Ebay is no longer an option for me with the seller fees.

Or the fact that they now want your SSN and have had their stuff hacked in the past.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

Or the fact that they now want your SSN and have had their stuff hacked in the past.

Yes, exactly

#29 2 years ago

I hear you about Ebay. There are third party sellers out there too who can sell your cards on Ebay for you. There are also local card shows turning up as well.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-hockey-card-collectors-on-pinside?hl=afinemoose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.