• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by SUPERBEE
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-06-21 20.28.24 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arkuz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 6 years ago

I bought a pin a while back from a guy in the Detroit area who restores Hammonds, particular for churches, and made a living doing it. Pretty cool, maybe something you can get serious with.

I had a B3 in college that I got tired of moving, so I chopped it in half, splitting the keyboard and draw bar unit from the bottom tone wheel and amp section. A crapload of wiring and connector assembly required, ugh. Maybe that's why I'm comfortable working on EMs now.

Interesting factoid I learned from doing a physics paper about the B3: because the tone wheels put a physical limit on the number of individual harmonics that can be supported (each wheel is a fundamental or harmonic for other notes), the notes across the keyboard are all using borrowed harmonics. They share more of the same tones the deeper into the draw bars you go. So not only are the individual notes tempered, but all the associated harmonics are as well. That means if you pull out all the draw bars, you can't really play any really flat or "off" notes, which is great for jamming and why these organs were great for pounding on in old 60s and 70s rock bands. It also makes me suspicious of sampled B3 sounds. To recreate a Hammond properly with modern tech, you need a sine wave generator for every harmonic configured in the same matrix as the original. Good times.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arkuz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-hammond-organ-fanatics-here?tu=arkuz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.