(Topic ID: 257917)

Any ham radio or vintage electronics collectors?

By zarco

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by drsfmd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 4 years ago

I've met a few hams in this hobby over the years. Folks that enjoy fixing up old
or neglected pins also do the same with electronics, classic video games and
especially classic cars. All of these hobbies tend to be made up of people that
like to tinker and have an appreciation for history.

Anyone else?
Steve W6SSP

#2 4 years ago

Yes on both counts.

I'm a General license class Ham radio operator and a collector/restorer of vintage electronics. I haven't been active in amateur radio for some time but have done some antique radio/amp restorations more recently. Pinball restoration has more or less taken the place of antique electronics although I still fiddle with a Scott 299 tube amp in the game room. Wonderful sound. And yes I do like the historical aspects.

Randy KB0FTD

#3 4 years ago

Tube guitar amps, tube radios (AM/FM/ shortwave receivers), Field Recorders (DAT, CD, cassette) Film scanners, Stereo receivers, Leslie Speakers. I love old electronics. No Ham but do have a nice set of Motorola 2-way handsets.

#4 4 years ago

Yup. KM0NAS. I was on the air this morning hunting Parks on the Air.

#5 4 years ago

I restore tube radios. I haven’t ventured into ham / receivers/ transmitters. Tube radios seem to go really cheap and it’s generally a few bucks or so to get them operating. It’s rewarding to take somebody’s trash and turn into an operating radio again.

#6 4 years ago

Nice to hear from a few folks! While pinball is still my most enjoyable hobby, ran
out of space years ago so have gotten back into ham & old radios. Much cheaper and take
up less space. In most cases that is. Recently dragged home a 1940's AM
broadcast transmitter (1250 lbs, almost 7' tall) which will be put on 160m.

Finding, researching, restoring and using vintage radios is as much
fun as doing the same with pins.
Steve

#7 4 years ago

I've had my General since I was 17 (40+ years!) but haven't been active since college.

Long enough to qualify for a vanity callsign, so I grabbed my initials since it was available.

Still have my Heathkit SB-104 and accessories, I suppose that qualifies as a vintage collection! I was looking at the newer rigs lately, wow, have they come a long way.

Dan W9DJQ

#8 4 years ago

George here. N8QXD. No code tech. That what is was called when I got licensed. Never had a big desire to talk long distances rather locally and through repeaters. 2M and 440 is a very quiet place compared to years ago when I got licensed. As for being into antique electronics, hmmm have to think about making an endeavor into that. Sure takes less space that pinball and I am for sure out of room in that Dept. This is N8QXD..............

#9 4 years ago

yep. i had an Australian advanced licence but i let it expire along the way.
The gear is all still here and I am slowly getting it set up again to renew it.
My workbench is lit by the glow of a Yaesu FT102 and an FT736R .... Same as the pins I dont enjoy new stuff

#10 4 years ago

Kilo Delta Two Juliette Kilo Sierra. I chew the rag from time to time, but I don’t collect or restore. I mostly listen to my local stuff, and rarely venture into hf, which I know is what most are into.

#11 4 years ago

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-ham-radio-or-vintage-electronics-collectors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.