(Topic ID: 294515)

Any GUMBALL Machine Collectors out there? Need to identify a machine!

By meSz

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by meSz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

32791DE7-1965-43ED-85D8-A99C16F3D9B0 (resized).jpeg
4390685F-CC54-4511-BAB8-0A3D3AE04D24 (resized).jpeg
DE421C72-81E8-4877-B360-564E68F3172A (resized).jpeg
DD648FD7-D59F-428D-BB89-1C0EAF397DE5 (resized).jpeg
7A00A8D4-5CFA-41E3-AE72-950612EAD6FF (resized).jpeg
1F8F1A23-AB7F-465F-98F4-3C13BF188D58 (resized).jpeg
4CCDB929-5DEE-476D-A7E2-5B0D707F6268 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20210527_125816623.jpg
Gumball (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Looking for anyone that can identify what type of machine this is or refer me to a site that I can go to. I have posted on the CoinOp Collector Forum but no luck thus far!

Gumball (resized).jpgGumball (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

I'll gladly kick this back up on top.
After, I wouldn't mind asking a couple questions
about a couple vintage Gumball machines..

#3 2 years ago

Picked this up not working from another Pinsider. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, as it's pretty large. It has a whole kinetic show that it puts on and is pretty cool.

IMG_20210527_125816623.jpgIMG_20210527_125816623.jpg
#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

Picked this up not working from another Pinsider. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, as it's pretty large. It has a whole kinetic show that it puts on and is pretty cool.

If possible, I wouldn't mind seeing a video of the show.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

If possible, I wouldn't mind seeing a video of the show.

Not my video, but this is the same machine.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Looking for anyone that can identify what type of machine this is or refer me to a site that I can go to. I have posted on the CoinOp Collector Forum but no luck thus far!
[quoted image]

Are there any markings on it ?
Is it a penny or nickel machine?
Where did you come across it?
I’ve collected gum ball machines for almost 30 years and I’ve never seen that particular machine.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Are there any markings on it ?
Is it a penny or nickel machine?
Where did you come across it?
I’ve collected gum ball machines for almost 30 years and I’ve never seen that particular machine.

On the base of the machine itself, below the glass globe, there's "Condulet Syracuse, NY". That's the only marking we see.

This is something my neighbor has. He doesn't have the key so we can't look inside. Not willing to drill the lock out just yet.

I will ask about what coin it takes and post back here when he advises.

#8 2 years ago

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thing when I posted. I thought the OP was starting a collector thread. Didn't mean to derail.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thing when I posted. I thought the OP was starting a collector thread. Didn't mean to derail.

No worries, all good! I have a few machines and am actually interested in buying this one thus the reason I am trying to find out more info on it.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

Not my video, but this is the same machine.

A while back, someone contacted me about one of these machines. I had no idea what
it was and made her an offer that I got the impression she didn't appreciate very well.
Yea, surely not your regular Gumball Machine.
I appreciate and enjoyed the video..

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

am actually interested in buying this one thus the reason I am trying to find out more info on it.

Were you told what coin it takes? Almost looks like a quarter, but maybe a nickel..
Either way, it looks like it has that lever to deposit the gumball, and if Ultimate hasn't
seen one in close to 30 years, unless they're asking a crazy price, I'm thinking I'd
maybe grab it. Or at least a counter offer..

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

On the base of the machine itself, below the glass globe, there's "Condulet Syracuse, NY".

Is this an actual machine or did someone cobble this together?

Crouse Hinds produced traffic lights and an array of other products including Condulets and was located in Syracuse, NY. Not sure they made gumball machines.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Is this an actual machine or did someone cobble this together?
Crouse Hinds produced traffic lights and an array of other products including Condulets and was located in Syracuse, NY. Not sure they made gumball machines.

The glass does look like the globe off of a vapor proof light.

#14 2 years ago

Unfortunately my neighbor had a funeral to attend too so he’s not available at this time.

Here are a few other pictures he had provided me.

1F8F1A23-AB7F-465F-98F4-3C13BF188D58 (resized).jpeg1F8F1A23-AB7F-465F-98F4-3C13BF188D58 (resized).jpeg4CCDB929-5DEE-476D-A7E2-5B0D707F6268 (resized).jpeg4CCDB929-5DEE-476D-A7E2-5B0D707F6268 (resized).jpeg7A00A8D4-5CFA-41E3-AE72-950612EAD6FF (resized).jpeg7A00A8D4-5CFA-41E3-AE72-950612EAD6FF (resized).jpegDD648FD7-D59F-428D-BB89-1C0EAF397DE5 (resized).jpegDD648FD7-D59F-428D-BB89-1C0EAF397DE5 (resized).jpeg
#15 2 years ago

@kwaheltrut

Uh oh. That's an Oscar's Wild Ride kinetic gumball machine.

Super unique, not really common anymore as they're from mid 90s and gradually breaking down or being retired from routes.

I was going threw a phase! Had 3 Oscar's at one point and a McDonald's zingo (pneumatic!) Gumball machine.

In working condition, probably worth $150. Super cool, just not super desirable.

#16 2 years ago

I’ll bet that this is some time of one-off, cobbled together piece. The “globe” looks like an aviation or explosion-proof light globe and the top piece is a section of conduit or the housing that accepts the globe. The recessed panel that contains the wording “Condulet Syracuse N.Y.U.S.A.” appears to also have the wording “Crouse Hinds” concealed by the band that is the coin slot.
DE421C72-81E8-4877-B360-564E68F3172A (resized).jpegDE421C72-81E8-4877-B360-564E68F3172A (resized).jpeg

The base looks like the under side bracket on a cafe table.

Curious if this actually works. Interesting, but to my eye, this does not look like an actual production piece.

#17 2 years ago

I have a couple questions about a couple gumball machines,
but don't want to interfer quite yet, so I'll start another thread.

#18 2 years ago

I have one in my gameroom. Not sure if it was meant as a gumball machine or candy machine though.

Its a Vendmax. Pretty modern.

Not as cool as the old stuff here though.

#19 2 years ago

So I have confirmed that the machine is a penny machine and it does work!

Quoted from Mopar:

I have a couple questions about a couple gumball machines,
but don't want to interfer quite yet, so I'll start another thread.

Feel free to post here ..... no problem!

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

So I have confirmed that the machine is a penny machine and it does work!

Even if that machine has signs of Frankenstein in its dna, if the price is
okay, I'd snag it..

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Even if that machine has signs of Frankenstein in its dna, if the price is
okay, I'd snag it..

Yeah just trying to fit out a value of the machine. What price is “okay” for both of us?

Also, the machine was purchased from a Jim Collings out of NC. I don’t know him but supposedly he was, unfortunately he passed away some time ago, a big collector.

#22 2 years ago

You might not need a key to open it, many of these machines are easily opened with a small flat head screwdriver. Mine is not a locking mechanism, it is more like a threaded bolt to lock the machine down.

32791DE7-1965-43ED-85D8-A99C16F3D9B0 (resized).jpeg32791DE7-1965-43ED-85D8-A99C16F3D9B0 (resized).jpeg4390685F-CC54-4511-BAB8-0A3D3AE04D24 (resized).jpeg4390685F-CC54-4511-BAB8-0A3D3AE04D24 (resized).jpeg
#23 2 years ago

Seems like a number of us have questions on this topic. I went ahead and started a general collector thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gumball-machine-collector-and-enthusiasts-the-bubble-that-pops

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

I’ll bet that this is some time of one-off, cobbled together piece. The “globe” looks like an aviation or explosion-proof light globe and the top piece is a section of conduit or the housing that accepts the globe. The recessed panel that contains the wording “Condulet Syracuse N.Y.U.S.A.” appears to also have the wording “Crouse Hinds” concealed by the band that is the coin slot.
[quoted image]
The base looks like the under side bracket on a cafe table.
Curious if this actually works. Interesting, but to my eye, this does not look like an actual production piece.

I think you are probably correct. A quick internet search brought up the same info you posted. I’m thinking it was a repaired machine by someone who worked at the company that obviously had some skill and access to various materials. Or it was a in-house lunch/break time project by an employee. It’s definitely different but also cool. Value is tough. I’m thinking between $100-200.

#25 2 years ago

All appreciate the input here. The good news is that my neighbor is not in a hurry to sell so he's willing to hold off until I get back East. I will then drill out the lock and see if we can find out more info. Going to leave this post open in case anyone else has any input!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-gumball-machine-collectors-out-there-need-to-identify-a-machine- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.