2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Capture (resized).PNG

#1 2 years ago

I'd like to recreate the schematics for Allied Leisure so they are legible.

Is there a good program (windows or android) for creating the schematics?

Must be free, and unlimited enough that I can draw the entire machine, not including the logic on the mpu board.

I'd also like something smart enough to auto-place components as I draw/add them.

#2 2 years ago

Bump for this.

I was thinking along similar lines it would be good to create interactive schematics. Click on a link and it highlights it with the wire colour and termination points. Click on a switch and it highlights the relay that it's on. Click on a relay and it highlights all the switches in it's stack. Perhaps even be able to change state. That kind of thing.

#3 2 years ago

You're gonna have a real hard time finding anything 'free' that will 'auto-place' components.

You can try DipTrace, there's a free version of that, with a not-too-steep learning curve. But you're in for a long ride, if this is your first shot.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

You're gonna have a real hard time finding anything 'free' that will 'auto-place' components.
    You can try DipTrace, there's a free version of that, with a not-too-steep learning curve. But you're in for a long ride, if this is your first shot.

DipTrace is the best I've found, but the free version has a limit on how many traces you can run which may be a problem.

An interactive schematic viewer like astyy describes would be really cool, but I don't know of anything like that existing. Current schematics for games are definitely limited by trying to fit on single sheets of paper causing you to have to page back and forth a ton sometimes.

#5 2 years ago

I guess the software doesn't have to be free, but something pretty inexpensive would be nice.

#6 2 years ago

Couple of hours, lots of trial and error, and this is what I have so far.

Capture (resized).PNG

#7 2 years ago

Try Kicad. It is free, gratis schematic and PCB editor. Unlimited sheets. I think you can set the page size to what you like. It has quite a large component library (what is a bit cumbersome to use) but it is easy to create your own symbols.
    I use it for all my schematics and PCB's. Some people hate the user interface, but I had never problems with it. Tip is to learn the keyboard shortcuts. They are essential.

#8 2 years ago

I’ll vote for DipTrace being easy to learn and use, and not terribly pricey. It’s lacking some features for a full production environment but for your purpose it’s prbably the quickest option.

KiCad is certainly another option and some people love it. I applaud them. For me, it requires a degree of self-loathing that I simply do not possess.

Also, check your connections at F2 & F3. The lines are touching but the square boxes indicate that the editor has not connected them.

#9 2 years ago

KiCad is free and highly functional.

Eagle has or used to have a free / educational versions that will let you do a single page schematic but not board layout bigger than a NVRAM module. Eagle is on some stupid pay as you go system now, but perhaps you can find an old trial / educational version on the web somewhere.

Both are tedious to learn, but not too bad. I'd say learn how to make components for each first, but if you just doing schematics, you probably don't have to learn how to make components as long as you can find the schematic symbols you want in the provided library.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.50
    $ 63.50
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 124.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.95
    Tools
    Magaro Machines
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 35.00
    $ 6,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside