(Topic ID: 17780)

Any good ideas for a custom Ferrari pinball I'm designing?

By Mojosan

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_000011.jpg
    WP_000799.jpg
    !cid_0821121848.jpg
    !cid_0821121847.jpg
    WP_000607.jpg
    WP_000605.jpg
    WP_000588_(2).JPG
    250px-Scuderia_Ferrari_Logo.png
    sjump_pf.jpg
    Skyjump001.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I'm re-theming a Gottlieb SkyJump into a Ferrari themed pinball.

The sides of the cabinet and head are going to feature the Ferrari prancing horse logo and some other designs and are going to be painted in correct Ferrari paint colors.

The play field has 7 drop targets so, naturally, they are going to changed from 1 thru 7 to F-E-R-R-A-R-I.

I'm going to keep the back glass relatively simple and was going to have the center taken up with one large picture and then surrounded with smaller pics of various Ferraris in chronological order. I was going to stick to mostly road cars and not race cars.

I want to sneak a picture of Enzo Ferrari on the machine somewhere. I was thinking of in the corner of the backglass.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas for the play field or back glass design please post them. I want to have the design finalized in the next 2 weeks or so.

I'll attach a couple of pics of SkyJump..

Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

Sorry, forgot the skyjump pics...

Skyjump001.jpgSkyjump001.jpg

#3 11 years ago

and the playfield... sjump_pf.jpgsjump_pf.jpg

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mojosan:

Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

My first thought would be to go to IPDB and look at the playfields of HS, HSII, Corvette, etc...to see how the car theme has been previously integrated into a game.

After that, you will have perhaps a better idea of what to do and what didn't work too well.

Being an EM, there is a lot of empty space at the bottom of the playfield to "fill".

Robert

#5 11 years ago

You should look for someone to hand draw your backglass. It will look much nicer than a photograph.

#6 11 years ago

Ya, I had thought of that. I have a HS2 but can't translate much in that to a mid-70's Gottlieb.

I was going to fill a lot of that center space in the middle of the playfield with a rear view of a specific car.

#7 11 years ago

Much of Ferrari is the legacy. I'd set aside a section of the art for Enzo and some classic Ferrari's, but do it in black & white. Done right this could look really classy.

#8 11 years ago

Could someone draw a 250 GTO on one of the cabinet and the Enzo on the other? That would be cool.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

You should look for someone to hand draw your backglass. It will look much nicer than a photograph.

Yes, I had thought of that as well, and I was really into keeping the mid 70's look and feel to the backglass, but with current cars. My roadblock with that idea came because I don't think I can have the playfield hand drawn as well, and then I thought the hand drawn backglass and more modern computer drawn playfiled would end up being too incongruent.

Anyone draw backglasses?

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Much of Ferrari is the legacy. I'd set aside a section of the art for Enzo and some classic Ferrari's, but do it in black & white. Done right this could look really classy.

Yup, great idea. I have a B&W pic of Enzo in the pits walking with his hands clasped behind his back and wearing a fedora. I was going to put him in the corner of the back glass to kind of "watch over" the pin. Was thinking of something near the out hole for him as well...

Great ideas!

#11 11 years ago

Looks like a *nice* Skyjump...

#12 11 years ago

Those are just pics off the web, not my machine. Mine is in storage and is in great shape. About 8.5 out of 10.

Not that it actually matters all that much since everything is going to be replaced, but the mechanics are in very good condition.

#13 11 years ago

This would look good down toward the bottom between the flippers.

250px-Scuderia_Ferrari_Logo.png250px-Scuderia_Ferrari_Logo.png

#14 11 years ago

I'm going to use that shield on the small round targets and on the sides of the head.

#15 11 years ago

That sounds even better.

#16 11 years ago

Put a breathalyzer on it.

#17 11 years ago

that machine really looks too nice to be a donor machine for a retheme.. can't you please use a game with a really worn out playfield ??
    or arent these pictures of the actual game you're going to use ?

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Put a breathalyzer on it.

Lmao! I like it. The only problem that presents is it would get very few plays.

#19 11 years ago

I could come up with some great ideas, if you provided a loaner Ferrari for some inspiration for a while.

2 months later
    #20 11 years ago

Here's an update of the cabinet. The red is genuine Ferrari Rossa Corsa red.

WP_000588_(2).JPGWP_000588_(2).JPG

#21 11 years ago

So, if the F430 is on the left side of the cabinet, then which model will be on the right side?

#22 11 years ago

F40 Please! such a nice car.

In for more pics...

#23 11 years ago

Ferrari wording added to the cabinet and head is partially completed.

WP_000605.jpgWP_000605.jpg WP_000607.jpgWP_000607.jpg

#24 11 years ago

I wish I was talented.

#25 11 years ago

Have you thought of forgoing the actual images of cars on the play field in lieu of just the Ferrari aesthetic?

The concept being, that it was a pinball machine designed by Ferrari, not made for Ferrari?

Aesthetically, there are a lot of fun clean design elements that could be carried over onto the table but I'd imagine that it would be difficult to just copy and paste images of sports cars allover the table without it losing some of it's class.

However, your logo on the side of the cabinet accomplishes both by focusing on the form of the car rather than just a plain image of it.

#26 11 years ago

See if you can work in some carbon fiber into the playfield. Even faux would still look sweet i think. Like pop bumper caps or slingshots or something

#27 11 years ago

The playfield is going to have a lot of different elements to it. There are going to be pics of certain elements of the F430 itself like the engine, speedometer, steering wheel, etc.

But there is also going to be one pic of my actual car and a couple of roadsigns that are meaningful to me and are an homage to one of my favorite games, HSII.

The backglass is going to portray the F430 and then be surrounded by smaller pics, in chronological order, of road going Ferrari's thru time.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tweedlefuzz:

See if you can work in some carbon fiber into the playfield. Even faux would still look sweet i think. Like pop bumper caps or slingshots or something

The background of the playfield overlay is primarily a carbon fiber pattern. Great minds, huh?

#29 11 years ago

A real Ferrari shift knob should definitely be used as the plunger

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballrus:

Already done.

#31 11 years ago

You should use mini tires and rims as flipper buttons

#32 11 years ago

you should have a vacuum formed shroud that looks like a V12 under the playfield/hood. This could be partially visible through a glass-covered cutout on the PF, lit by the bulbs under there.

#33 11 years ago

Perspex, that would be amazing! Forget playfields under the table, an engine replicated just like the back glass on the real car... best idea ever.

#34 11 years ago

heres a lighted ferrari i have on my getaway. lights up in chase mode

!cid_0821121847.jpg!cid_0821121847.jpg !cid_0821121848.jpg!cid_0821121848.jpg

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mojosan:

Pinballrus said:

Already done. []

Mojosan,
    Thanks so much for posting these pictures of your work-in-progress. I've always wanted to do a retheme (I'm a cartoonist), so this post is pretty inspirational. Can't wait to see more!

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

2 weeks later
    #36 11 years ago

Head and cabinet pretty much done.

WP_000799.jpgWP_000799.jpg

#37 11 years ago

Looks really nice.. is that a 944 next to it?

#38 11 years ago

I actually don't know. I'll ask. But the the doors and side mirrors look like a 944.

2 weeks later
    #39 11 years ago

Your wish is my demand.

WP_000011.jpgWP_000011.jpg

#40 11 years ago

Niiiiiiiice!

1 month later
    #41 11 years ago

Whoowww great job and realy nice

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-good-ideas-for-a-custom-ferrari-pinball-im-designing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.