Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Anth
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

163954.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    image-21.jpg
    image-28.jpg
    image-927.jpg
    image.jpg
    tumblr_lhge0gP0od1qcy1poo1_r1_500.gif
    tumblr_n0zr7cP8Ua1qbxa4ho1_400.gif
    DM.jpg
    kiss.jpg
    poochie.jpg
    image.jpg
    248705.gif
    Gay Cruise.jpg
    image-10.jpg
    NO.gif

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

There's obviously a continuum on the importance that art/aesthetic/sound has to pinball owners. I'm a strange mix of pinball slut and art snob. I can't really afford to be too choosey, but I also don't have a lot of space. That said, there aren't many games that if a wealthy benefactor walked up to me and said, "Here, have this free pinball machine", I'd turn down based on how they looked or sounded.

There are, however, a few I just wouldn't have in my house, even if free:

Bad Cats (I see red every time I hear that meow, myu meow meow)
    Batman Forever
    Family Guy
    Most of the Christian Marche pointy elbow Laugh-In style EMs (Marche was a fine artist, this era, sucked)

How about you folks? Any games too ugly or too obnoxious to have in your house at any price or condition? I could add a poll if any front runners emerge.

#2 9 years ago

Might be a keeper for me. Fastest game I have owned, and once you figure out the ball save strategy, it gets even more intense. The audio is even worse than the art

20140606_195555.jpg20140606_195555.jpg
    #3 9 years ago

I'm not sure I'd want a Boomerang !

#4 9 years ago

Last Action Hero. I've owned it twice.... Not sure why. Maybe cuz the first time I didn't know any better and the second time it was too cheap to pass up. That back glass is so bad. And the callouts drive me nuts. Decent gameplay, but the art and sounds are terrible.

#5 9 years ago

I've had people look at my CV and get nauseous That's the only one that I think would qualify as visually painful somtimes.
    Others (like above) are tacky and tasteless, but I don't think obnoxious qualifies.

#6 9 years ago

Any of the Playboys as they don't fit our family situation. My family hated the art on Centaur, I thought it was okay. Don't like the artwork of Gorgar.

#7 9 years ago

Not a big fan of the original back glass on The Shadow...

#8 9 years ago

Team One. That soccer player in the middle of the playfield is terrible. I have one on my collection and have owned four others.

#9 9 years ago

Phantom of the Opera. That chick screaming was just too much to take. Don't remember the game play but always
    that wailing screeching scream. Liked her outfit but that vocal . . .

#10 9 years ago

I don't know... I played a Hardbody for the first time last week and I had a really good time, I'd probably own one.

#11 9 years ago

Raven, Hardbody, Genesis, World Poker Tour are up there...basically another way to answer this question is, which pinballs have had alt translites made?

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

Not a big fan of the original back glass on The Shadow...

Yea, that pretty boy looking at you does nothing for me.
    Centaur - I've never played it, but it looks like a big tattoo.

#13 9 years ago

For me it is AC/DC pro.. I can't imagine looking at that playing field.. I played the game and its a great game but bought metallica instead because of that head on the play field.. YUCK

#14 9 years ago

I loved my WPT but it was a little ugly. I traded it for a nice GTB Monte Carlo & Mystic. Talk about contrast. This Mystic art is some of the prettiest I've seen & I love to show it off. Then Monte Carlo's translite is horrendous & to make it worse it looks kinda green/faded when the lamp goes on behind it. Barf. Cabinet art is boring as hell too. PF/Plastics are tolerable. I do like the game though.

For Monte Carlo I do need to consider getting an alternate translite, I see 2 options on ebay & while neither of them are great it is hard to have anything look worse than what I have now. I'd honestly prefer the Genesis translite over this horrid thing.

#15 9 years ago

Rbon has the ugliest art I've seen .....can't look at the playfield to crazy and to creepy to many stuff going on , shrunken heads , dog with human teeth, penguins with rollerblades , bold guy with a candle in his head , I just can get into the theme ....

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from jewboyflowerhead:

Might be a keeper for me. Fastest game I have owned, and once you figure out the ball save strategy, it gets even more intense. The audio is even worse than the art

If you like Hardbody's playfield but hate the theme, get a BMX..

#17 9 years ago

I would never trade a great game like WPT for a lesser game (or 2) just because of artwork. Genesis is really ugly, but it's good simple fun. Same for TX Sector--horrible colors but a fun game that I would not mind owning. I also don't understand the strong antipathy towards Team One--that game seems to be singled out for bad artwork, but it's just a soccer theme! For me, gameplay is prime, theme helps, artwork and sounds are nice, but none are dealbreakers if the gameplay is fun. I don't see my pins as part of a cultured art gallery where exhibits have to be up to snuff....

#18 9 years ago

I'd own any game for the right price.

Hardbody looks pretty cool. It's 80's cheese. gotta love it.

#19 9 years ago

Galahad

#20 9 years ago

Big dick . nuff said

#21 9 years ago

how about the pink cab on the bone crusher

#22 9 years ago

To my eyes, the TFTC artwork looks horrible.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

To my eyes, the TFTC artwork looks horrible.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Combined with that laugh, probably wouldn't put that in my house either.

#24 9 years ago

Family Guy, kiss and Team One come to mind.

#25 9 years ago

Reminds me of a time at the pin auction they had a Sopranos machine. The strippers had my wife a little on edge but then it starts calling out "Gimme my F***ing Money!"
    oops, no a good one if you have any youngsters.
    On a side note, I always found the voices on Xenon to be totally annoying.

#26 9 years ago

How about FUGLY flyers...holy 13000101.jpg13000101.jpgcow is this thing horrendous!!!

#27 9 years ago

Is that Gary Stern on that back to the future flyer as Doc?

#28 9 years ago

Isn't that GARY STERN as Doc Brown?

#29 9 years ago

Alien Poker is pretty ugly... by design,,, I'm going to re-theme mine, so look for a nice back glass and original plastics for it to go up for sale...

Mac

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from planters49:

Is that Gary Stern on that Back to the Future flyer as Doc?

Quoted from benheck:

Isn't that GARY STERN as Doc Brown?

Jinx!

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

Bad Cats? So its the sound package you hate right? Not the art package. I think you have to like cats to like this pin. In fact to be scientific about this. You need to be infected by the Toxoplasmosis parasite. The Disease That Makes You Like Cats and makes you like Bad Cats, pinball.

Toxoplasmosis Parasite. If you never heard of this parasite, read about it. If you have a cat, you are probbably already infested with the parasite that makes you like cats. lol
    http://freakyphenomena.com/article/toxoplasmosis-disease-that-makes-you-like-cats

#32 9 years ago

I thought after owning (and liking) AC/DC I could get over any bad pf art. Then ST came out

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

I thought after owning (and liking) AC/DC I could get over any bad pf art. Then ST came out

I would own a Stern ST by now if it wasn't for that horrible playfield. Some day I will cave in and get one. That or I make a decal that covers the entire front middle section about 50% of the playfield lol. Been playing it more, it is fun.

EDIT IMAGE: So I am really serious about this. If I can find a beat up routed ST for really cheap. I would make custom decals to cover/replace all the blue areas in the image below. However, it may be many years till I can find a routed ST that needs to be restored for cheap. But I will keep my eyes open for a few years till I find one.

ST.jpgST.jpg

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Any of the Playboys as they don't fit our family situation. My family hated the art on Centaur, I thought it was okay. Don't like the artwork of Gorgar.

What is not to like about centaur's art???

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Bad Cats? So its the sound package you hate right? Not the art package. I think you have to like cats to like this pin. In fact to be scientific about this. You need to be infected by the Toxoplasmosis parasite. The Disease That Makes You Like Cats and makes you like Bad Cats, pinball.
    Toxoplasmosis Parasite. If you never heard of this parasite, read about it. If you have a cat, you are probbably already infested with the parasite that makes you like cats. lol
    http://freakyphenomena.com/article/toxoplasmosis-disease-that-makes-you-like-cats

I have two cats. I used to like cats. Then I raised two boys. Now I fucking hate cats.

That said, even when I liked cats, Bad Cats would have been a no-go. At the first Tacoma PNW show a bad cats was one of the raffle prizes. I would have sold it cut rate rather than take it home if I had won it. That ramp is one of the easiest shots in pinball, and that call out... oh god. I'm getting all pissed off just thinking about it! Hahaha.

STOP!

#36 9 years ago

I like the game but what were they thinking?
    Kim

image-2.jpgimage-2.jpg
    #37 9 years ago

An ugly translite is something you can change. Better alternatives available for the really ugly ones. Genesis can be transfigured for example.
    An ugly cabinet is something you can hide... in the middle of two other pins.
    But, on the other hand...
    An ugly PF is hard to fix! This would be the reason I would not buy a pin. Stern Playboy is not ugly, but tasteless...

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I know what you mean! If they had just kept it a dog theme it would have been great, but throwing soccer in the mix?!?

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Kim

image-2.jpg 52 KB

I love soccer now, but was your typical ignorant US asshole about it when that pin came out. Still loved playing it, and I really like the strange unique palette of the table. That dog thing was the mascot for the tournament, and it was a big deal for the US to host, so, marketing tie in.

Would be nice to get an alternate translight made up for it though (yo, Aurich!). It's certainly popular enough.

EDIT: Even so, one can never escape the fact that the World Cup trophy itself looks sort of like a big gold turd. :-/

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

your typical ignorant US asshole

guilty

#41 9 years ago

I think they were trying to appeal to a wider audience, like soccer playing kids. You know... cute soccer playing pup.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

I have two cats. I used to like cats. Then I raised two boys. Now I fucking hate cats.

That said, even when I liked cats, Bad Cats would have been a no-go. At the first Tacoma PNW show a Bad Cats was one of the raffle prize. I would have sold it cut rate rather than take it home if I had won it. That ramp is one of the easiest shots in pinball, and that call out... oh god. I'm getting all pissed off just thinking about it! Hahaha.

STOP!

haha, I respect your opinion. To be honest I would have NEVER bought the game if it wasn't for my wife. I call it "her" machine. I love the art, the game is rather easy. Since I added the power ball the game is super fast, which helps a bit. But I still need to be pretty drunk in order to play it long. But I do love the sound package haha. But I will stop talking about Bad Cats now. It's not Meow Meow Meow for everyone.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

haha, I respect your opinion. To be honest I would have NEVER bought the game if it wasn't for my wife. I call it "her" machine. I love the art, the game is rather easy. Since I added the power ball the game is super fast. But I still need to be pretty drunk in order to play it long. But I do love the sound package haha. But I will stop talking about Bad Cats now. It's not Meow Meow Meow for everyone.

Hmm... that said, A Super Troopers pin would be pretty sweet.

#44 9 years ago

I am pretty sure that dog was the mascot for the World Cup that year.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

There's obviously a continuum on the importance that art/aesthetic/sound has to pinball owners. I'm a strange mix of pinball slut and art snob. I can't really afford to be too choosey, but I also don't have a lot of space. That said, there aren't many games that if a wealthy benefactor walked up to me and said, "Here, have this free pinball machine", I'd turn down based on how they looked or sounded.
    There are, however, a few I just wouldn't have in my house, even if free:
    Batman Forever
    Family Guy
    Most of the Christian Marche pointy elbow Laugh-In style EMs (Marche was a fine artist, this era, sucked)
    How about you folks? Any games too ugly or too obnoxious to have in your house at any price or condition? I could add a poll if any front runners emerge.

I just watched a Youtube clip to hear the "meow meow meow meow" call out you mentioned. Man, that is NOT for me either. LOL.

#46 9 years ago

The chubby midget on the Genesis backglass is truly hideous. And I hate to say it, because I love late 70's/early 80's Williams SS machines, but Constantino Mitchell's artwork has a certain unpleasant quality to it.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I just watched a Youtube clip to hear the "meow meow meow meow" call out you mentioned. Man, that is NOT for me either. LOL.

When my wife plays the pin she just sings Meow, Meow, Meow the entire time. lol. But she is a bit obsessed with cats. Pretty sure whenever I die, she will be a crazy cat lady with 50 cats and Bad Cats will be the only pin left that she wont sell from my collection lol. She will prob use the money to buy more cats and more "bad cats".

#48 9 years ago

Nope. You're all wrong. The ugliest, most obnoxious game ever made is the next one from Stern. It's the AC/DC Pro, Beelzeboob edition. But it's faster than hell and the chicks dig it. Only 1 will be made using Photoshop (like all playfields these days), so get your pre-orders in now...it totally smokes the premium edition.

beelzeboob.jpgbeelzeboob.jpg

#49 9 years ago

I wanted the Beelzeboob edition but I like the mini pf. Plus I heard it has really cheap drains

#50 9 years ago

By the way. I love WCS and would proudly have it in my home. It's only the translite I hate and that's a simple fix.
    Sorry I went outside your original question.

Kim

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-games-too-ugly-obnoxious-to-own and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.