(Topic ID: 267997)

Anyone else had corrosion (?) on their ColorDMD Chroma Rev A2 board?

By monkeyboypaul

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dmod
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DA13C2C1-7A88-4FBF-9A7B-7230A3BC4EAC.jpeg
    TZ display.JPG
    IMG_8258.JPG
    #1 3 years ago

I just found this in a WPC game that has squeaky clean boards, NVRAM fitted, stored in an insulated office room heated at 20C 45% humidity (UK) & it’s actually quite a new display (2yrs?). Also checked TZ's display, which was bought at the same time, and it's also showing signs around the USB port.

I have contacted ColorDMD for help, because i can't explain this one. Will update if i hear back.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'll be checking all my games with these displays in - all 8 of them!
    IMG_8258.JPGIMG_8258.JPGTZ display.JPGTZ display.JPG

#2 3 years ago
    DA13C2C1-7A88-4FBF-9A7B-7230A3BC4EAC.jpegDA13C2C1-7A88-4FBF-9A7B-7230A3BC4EAC.jpeg
    #3 3 years ago

looks like it maybe Galvanic corrosion.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from grumppy:

looks like it maybe Galvanic corrosion.

Ok. What could cause that, in your opinion?

#5 3 years ago

Good response from Randy Dmod

He’s fairly sure this is just residue left over from the board washing process during manufacturing, but is checking with the assembly house.

I don’t want to put this in a new game til I know what’s causing it...

I’ve got nothing but praise for ColorDMD products and the support, so hopeful this is easily resolved.

#6 3 years ago

Hopefully it isn't left over water soluble flux -- that stuff will actually eat traces if given enough time. But what you have there looks different from non-cleaned water soluble flux.
    However, the green-ness of what ever is on the LVDS connector looks a bit concerning.

#7 3 years ago

I previously received a question from another customer regarding the white residue that's occasionally left on the board and forwarded it to our assembly house. The response from the board assembly house was:

"This is the no clean flux residue that can happen during the SMT Reflow or wave solder process and is completely normal. It is not harmful and can be brushed off with a soft brush if he would like to."

I haven't seen a connector with the green coloring before and sent Paul's photo to the assembly house to see if they can offer an explanation. The fact that it only appears on the gold board socket and not on the attached gold cable connector suggests that it might be something left over from board assembly.

I've suggested trying to clean the connector with some alcohol and a soft cloth to see if it wipes away or if the metal is actually discolored or pitted underneath.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-else-had-corrosion-on-their-colordmd-chroma-rev-a2-board?hl=monkeyboypaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.