Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by vicjw66
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I generally know which shots start which features, but has anything emerged as far as basic strategy?

#2 10 years ago

You want to queue up a rescue multiball (locking as many as possible with the Search), lock two balls for EC multiball and leave one letter unlit on your last character, and spell BALL and RAINBOW. If you time everything right, you can spin the house, start a munchkin mode, then roll over the last letter and fire up as many stacked multiballs at the same time as possible while you're beating the crap out of the targets for the big munchkinland points. But you can count on the witch to foil your plans with reverse flippers as a reward for all your hard work. Happened once to me and pissed me off but good...

#3 10 years ago

You sound like you know what you're doing.

#4 10 years ago

I talk a mean game...now if I could just pull it off...

#5 10 years ago

What's the strategy for figuring out which BALL letters you still need or how many character letters? You can't quickly look and know...I have to trap the ball and stare and it's still hard!

#6 10 years ago

Stack the multiballs with a with a crystal ball 2x or 3x scoring mode. Munchkin modes seems to be lit nearly every time you start your first EC multi-ball. Maybe just coincidence.

#7 10 years ago

Plunge to pops to light monkey. Hit left orbit lock Dorothy. Quick plunge to Witch, start hurry up and finish it. Trap and start witch again, rinse repeat. Light twister. Lock balls. Start twister while in grace period. Start witch. Hit rescue VUK, start Rescue. Score points. Walk away with a score under 100k and feel good about it. Bam.

#8 10 years ago

work the rescue targets first ,lock 2 ...."ball" targets randomly get hit as well as "rainbow targets", work the right ramp to lock the balls and get 3 ball mutiball , while those balls are bangin around , you will hit the crystal ball randomly , boom another multiball , while more balls bangin around , one of them will hit the right orbit for the winged monkey ,, babam , another multiball stacked. I doubt anyone can spin the house 10-15 times during a 5 ball mutiball , totally sensory overload...........if all that falls into place , your lookin at a game around 400,000 , trust me I know

#9 10 years ago

Since I don't have access to a WOZ, can someone remind me, or paste link, with Rescue MB rules? To get more than 2-ball, you have to complete rescue targets and stuff a ball behind the doors BEFORE you hit right orbit for Dorothy capture?
Thanks in advance!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Since I don't have access to a WOZ, can someone remind me, or paste link, with Rescue MB rules? To get more than 2-ball, you have to complete rescue targets and stuff a ball behind the doors BEFORE you hit right orbit for Dorothy capture?
Thanks in advance!

They changed the way the orbit in the castle playfield worked. I think it used to take away a letter from rescue. Now that little orbit adds balls. Hit it a few times and it turns green. Then once more will add a ball when you start Rescue (which I have no idea how to finish yet).

#11 10 years ago

And to the OP, I don't really have a dominant strategy. It depends on what I'm in the mood for. If I'm going for score, I'll try to stack a munchkin mode with EC multiball and a crystal ball mode, but the crystal ball modes are really a pain in the ass, but double scoring can be huge. Other games I go after Rescue. And finally, other games I go after the witch to build up to Fireball Frenzy. Stacking for points, direct attack on eack to see stuff. It's great that the upper levels of this game are going to be really tough to get to. Maybe "Somewhere over the rainbow" will end up like Valinor. Beyond my capabilities, but always trying to hit that magical game.

#12 10 years ago

Going for rainbow is a risky strategy IMHO. Too much danger of a left drain plus you will get there though random shots while doing other things same as hitting character rollovers. As of 1.22 code hitting the throne room to get the wizard award gives an extra ball about 50% of the time so that is something to shoot for. Going for rescue multiball is pretty safe.

#13 10 years ago

The only thing I'd add to some of the strategies mentioned is that I like to short-plunge to the upper right flipper and take a crack at the witch at the beginning of each ball. You should be able to finish her off while still in ball-save (assuming you have it turned on) and get a guaranteed Fireball Frenzy by the end of the game.

#14 10 years ago

Thanks everyone - very helpful.

#15 10 years ago

i had a little bit of beelzebubs theory going on friday jayhawk at pizza west. Saturday I couldn't do squat.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

The only thing I'd add to some of the strategies mentioned is that I like to short-plunge to the upper right flipper and take a crack at the witch at the beginning of each ball. You should be able to finish her off while still in ball-save (assuming you have it turned on) and get a guaranteed Fireball Frenzy by the end of the game.

I've come to the conclusion that the side flipper is next to worthless for me. It puts the ball out of control moving side to side. On my local machine the ball-save is very short so it doesn't help much. WOZ's out lanes are pretty unforgiving, even with the second chance TOTO and NPLH. I don't use the side flipper for anything unless it is by accident.

I ignore the skill shots and do a full plunge in to the Haunted Forest. On ball one it normally hits the capture Dorothy targets for me. From there I sort of follow Beezleboobs strategy of going for the capture MB, it seems to be the most difficult task for me to complete to get to battle the witch. (which I was able to do the other day and got all excited for the mini wizard mode, which didn't happen. I'm assuming the code is still not complete or I'm an idiot and couldn't figure out what to hit to start battle the witch.)

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

What's the strategy for figuring out which BALL letters you still need or how many character letters? You can't quickly look and know...I have to trap the ball and stare and it's still hard!

I just assume that I always need the "B" in ball and go from there. I do what you do and trap the ball to see which one is slowly fading, it is very hard to see. I think the witch call outs are linked to the ready state of the crystal ball. I think, but am not sure, that when she says "I've got a little something brewing for you." it means the ball is ready. The LCD board will also tell you when the ball is ready, but doesn't tell you what you are missing before it is ready.

For the character letters, the back glass LCD screen is where to look. When there are no other animations going on the top right box clearly tells you how far you have advanced the characters and which are already enabled.

#18 10 years ago

Yeah, trying to figure out if the Crystal Ball is lit is pretty tuff.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 91.00
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-dominant-woz-strategies-yet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.