(Topic ID: 263481)

Any decent alterantive to Krynskis Gottlieb pins (card theme) ?

By Pinasco

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ED412462-68B9-4466-9315-96834373DEF1 (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

I'm a big fan of Krynskis many wedgehead designs for Gottlieb in the card themed games ( High Hand, Flip a card etc.).
    Perfect playfield designs and for the most part with amazing artwork.

I've tried IPDB-searches, but I cant find anything by Williams or other makes that comes close to those addictive card themed games during Gottliebs
    wedgehead era.

Is there any other make of a EM-game aside Gottlieb that I should check out that are comparable to Krynskis best work within that theme ?

#2 4 years ago

Williams “Big Deal“ is a ton of fun. It also has banks of drop targets, which was unusual for a Williams EM.

#3 4 years ago

Bally “Hi-Lo Ace” is a great single player that would fit nicely into a Wedgehead collection. Gave up trying to find one in nice shape.
    Williams “Lucky Ace” is another single player that would fit nicely into a Wedghead collection.

#4 4 years ago

1968 Williams Lady Luck. Lots of fun and a pretty machine.

#5 4 years ago

Uncommon, not quite rare is a 1977 Williams Wild Card that is a fun single player.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Uncommon, not quite rare is a 1977 Williams Wild Card that is a fun single player.

Agree - Wild Card is a fun EM!

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Williams “Big Deal“ is a ton of fun. It also has banks of drop targets, which was unusual for a Williams EM.

Dropping all seven drop targets twice, then making that really difficult horseshoe shot is very satisfying

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

1968 Williams Lady Luck. Lots of fun and a pretty machine.

I'd second this. What I like about it is that the rules are so different from what I'm familiar with. From what I recall on each ball you're trying to beat the dealer in a round of Black Jack. The dealer's score changes with each ball but isn't revealed until you drain so you're trying to get 21 or as close to it as you can without going over. At some points in the game it makes strategic sense to drain if you have 21 for example rather than keep playing and go bust.

/Mark

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Agree - Wild Card is a fun EM!

have wanted one of these for 30+ years have never, ever seen one in australia.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Bally “Hi-Lo Ace” is a great single player that would fit nicely into a Wedgehead collection. Gave up trying to find one in nice shape.
    Williams “Lucky Ace” is another single player that would fit nicely into a Wedghead collection.

$300 Lucky Ace on Facebook Marketplace, New Jersey, now: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/511673739550356/

#11 4 years ago

Hi Pinasco +
    in ipdb I look at "Royal Flush" https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2035 - a bit downwards is "Theme: Cards/Gambling". (Almost on top of the page) I then click on "Advanced Search" and there I choose "Only Electromechanical (EM)" -- in "Game Theme" I write Cards --- and way down (sort by) I choose "group by MANUFACTURER" --- CLICK ON "Search Database" --- and https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=EM&tm=Cards&sortby=mfg&searchtype=advanced I get a list of 142 pins. Greetings Rolf

#12 4 years ago

Thanks, I´ve got the search technique under control

But I needed some input to the playing experience, which was provided fast and detailed - so I'm quite thankful for all suggestions above.

Big Deal:Wow. Although I'm a little skeptical to that rebound rubber bank between the flippers, I think it looks quite modern for a -63 pin. The fact that it does have
    a reverse wedgehead AND backglass animation makes it even more interesting. Hard-to-find though, I suspect.

Hi-Lo Ace; not too wild about the playfield design, although I REALLY like that kind of pop bumper placement behind that midfield stand up target. Beautiful slingshot plastics

Lady Luck: a little weird looking PF, but I'm going to add this to the "check out"-list. Being no 5 on the Top 100-list is of course a good hint to the quality.

Lucky Ace: does indeed have a interesting playfield configuration. On top of that this is actually one of Marches better artworks from that era. Glad to see that the guy had other qualities that just those strange "pointy people". Will definitely add this to my hunting list.

Wild Card: Not a beautiful playfield, but the arrangement is interesting. The upper right lane looks like a real challenge. Real snappy bumper action on the upper PF. Thanks for the linked video Tuna_Delight.

Quoted from MarkG:

The dealer's score changes with each ball but isn't revealed until you drain so you're trying to get 21 or as close to it as you can without going over. At some points in the game it makes strategic sense to drain if you have 21 for example rather than keep playing and go bust.
    /Mark

Thanks Mark. I really have to check this deck out. Interesting rule set.

#13 4 years ago

Hi Pinasco
    (twinkle) ... and the fact that Williams did make two models of "Big Deal" --- https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=245&picno=19595 (?).
    In my post-11 I did not want to give the advice "look at ratings" --- I happen to not like the pinside-top-100-EM's ... Greetings Rolf

#14 4 years ago

“Big Deal” is one of a few games I can remember playing in the late 70’s. (1979). Played it a lot since I could beat it. It was around the same time “Gorgar”, the quarter eater entered the arcade.
    I once owned the the game but sold because of the condition.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

I'd second this. What I like about it is that the rules are so different from what I'm familiar with. From what I recall on each ball you're trying to beat the dealer in a round of Black Jack. The dealer's score changes with each ball but isn't revealed until you drain so you're trying to get 21 or as close to it as you can without going over. At some points in the game it makes strategic sense to drain if you have 21 for example rather than keep playing and go bust.
    /Mark

1960 Williams 21 plays similarly. Very unique I’ve thought. Didn’t know of another pin that played that way. And 21 has a great back glass/art package too!

ED412462-68B9-4466-9315-96834373DEF1 (resized).jpegED412462-68B9-4466-9315-96834373DEF1 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-decent-alterantive-to-krynskis-gottlieb-pins-card-theme-?hl=pinasco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.