• Indians in 6 27 votes
    22%
  • Cubs in 7 47 votes
    38%
  • Indians in 7 13 votes
    10%

(124 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 58 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
Collage 2016-11-02 22_59_03 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
1908 (resized).jpg
20161014_212345 (resized).jpg
IMG_3532 (resized).JPG
IMG_6868 (resized).JPG
Cubs-Win! (resized).JPG
Cubs WIN flag (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
IMG_2730 (resized).JPG
IMG_2489 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
th (resized).jpg
20161102_222657 (resized).jpg
20161102_195438 (resized).jpg

There are 359 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 2 years ago

so happy for the Cubs. This team different the the previous ones I watched 20-25 years ago. Very solid and they don't choke.
Only negative thing you can say about the Cubs is they've only won one World Series in a hundred years. I think that will change next year. The Cubs should be favored to do so. They did post the best regular season record and that was no fluke.

#302 2 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Cute.
Now try doing it in less than 12 games.
2005 White Sox. 11-1. Four complete games IN A ROW. Almost certainly a feat that will never be matched. Oh, and if I remember correctly, the Sox faced a healthy Astros team that included Clemens, Pettite, Oswald, Lidge as well as Bagwell and Biggio. And let's not forget they swept the defending champs and took care of a very strong Angels in five.
Cubs faced Bumgarner, Kershaw, and a busted up Indians pitching staff that was missing two key players. 17 games to accomplish THAT?!?

This is the worst post in the history of the internet!

You, sir, are a monster!

#303 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

The Cubs should be favored to do so.

They were taken to a game 7 by a far inferior talented team missing 2 of the their top 3 starters and star outfielder. They may be the favorite next year but just ask the Yankees how that burden turns out. Congrats Cubs fans, enjoy it but don't expect it every year now..

#304 2 years ago

Everybody ready for the parade tomorrow?

#305 2 years ago

CONGRATS"!!!!! to all the CUB fans!!!!! being a Red Sox fan I went through the same feelings you are having today 12 years ago and all I can say is "HOW SWEET IT IS" Congrats again!!!!!!

#306 2 years ago

Party like its 1908!

1908 (resized).jpg

#307 2 years ago

When I voted "Cubs in 7" it may have been during game 7, but at least it wasn't over yet! At the time it was approximately tied with "Indians in 7."

The 20 or so votes made after they already won are pretty funny. Such prognostication skillz!

#308 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

In comparison, I heard that some bars on the south side were actually buying a round of drinks every time a Cubs' opponent scored in the post season. Like I said, pathetic.

Why is that pathetic? Why on earth should fans of one team support another, just because it's geographically close?

Vandalism or violence would be pathetic. Celebrating your rival's demise with a round of drinks? Absolutely! I think you're being quite melodramatic here.

#309 2 years ago
Quoted from Duff:

Cubs fans, enjoy it but don't expect it every year now..

well...duh

#310 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Why is that pathetic? Why on earth should fans of one team support another, just because it's geographically close?

I'm sorry, but the sheer amount of energy that some Sox fans put into actively hating the Cubs is indeed pathetic.

#311 2 years ago

It's just a different, inferiority complex-type mentality. It's really sad. It's not all of them, but it's an absurd amount of them. And those are the ones that give White Sox fans a bad name. When the Sox were winning, to me, that was their deal. Good for them, but my team's season was over & I was no longer interested.

As for the even more absurd argument that the Sox title was somehow better than the Cubs because they lost less games along the way...well, it's hard to respond. But I will. I have to believe no one in their right mind cares or makes the effort to remember how many games were lost along the way. It's really the perfect example of trying too hard. Both are World Series Championships. Both are equally impressive. Both will be remembered as great achievements for their respective teams. Why or how anyone would try to say theirs is better than the others is mind boggling to me.

But to each his own, no matter how sad. I'll enjoy this whether or not any amount of Sox fans are trying to manifest relevance while we're celebrating.

See you at the parade!!!

#312 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm sorry, but the sheer amount of energy that some Sox fans put into actively hating the Cubs is indeed pathetic.

No, it's when fans are so full of themselves they think nothing else matters, that is pathetic. The whole "white sox fans hate us" thing is part of it. I mean, read this drivel:

http://www.si.com/mlb/2016/11/02/chicago-cubs-win-world-series-indians

Sorry folks, but all you got is a 100-year losing team that finally managed to buy themselves a championship. If I had to suffer that kind of writing in the local rags, I'd flip a bird or two uptown as well. And buying beers because your rival loses isn't "actively hating" anything. You want hate, try visiting Philly in a Redskins jersey :p

#313 2 years ago

A big Yuck! to your post.

#314 2 years ago

as a cardinals fan [who is supposed to hate the cubs] I congratulate them. they have several of our players from last year.
I can go back to disliking them in April.

#315 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Woo! Yes! Cubs win! I wish my Dad had lived to see this!

Me too. He was the biggest Cubs fan I've ever seen (my Dad that is). He was elated for me when the White Sox won in 2005, I wish he could have seen this. Congrats Cubs fans, you can finally say your team is the World Series champs.

#317 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Vandalism or violence would be pathetic. Celebrating your rival's demise with a round of drinks? Absolutely! I think you're being quite melodramatic here.

I actually like the dislike between rivals, even right as they are winning a championship. It's very old school.

I'm not understanding the craziness over this championship either. It's cool for sure but the city of Chicago is overflowing with champions in the 4 major sports since the Cubs won a World Series. Bulls have won six. Bears have won 9. White Sox have won 2. Blackhawks have won 6.

It's nice for long time fans of the Cubs but Chicago has not had it as rough as Cleveland had it before last years NBA championship.

#318 2 years ago

images (resized).jpg

#319 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Crosstown rivalries are natural, but the animosity in this particular case is completely one-sided. When the Sox won the World Series in '05, I didn't hear a single Cubs fan say a negative thing about them. A lot of fans were indifferent, but many of them were actually happy for the Sox. In comparison, I heard that some bars on the south side were actually buying a round of drinks every time a Cubs' opponent scored in the post season. Like I said, pathetic.

I know a lot of Cubs haters being a southsider, but I also know a lot of Sox haters who were openly rooting for the Astros in 2005 and told me so to my face. I also had a lot of hardcore Cubs fans congratulate me when they won, as I did with many friends and family members today. Whatever, it's amazing how easy these things roll off your back once your team wins it all. The rivalry is definitely mellowing out over the last 15 years and now that they've both won the WS much of the tension will ease.

#320 2 years ago
Quoted from TiltDis:

Everybody ready for the parade tomorrow?

Downvoted because I work downtown. It's gonna be a shit show.

#321 2 years ago

Not sure if this was mentioned , but if you add up the runs scored for each team in this world series 2016 (7 games) , both teams scored 27 runs, kinda strange I am very happy the Cubs nailed it !! Well deserved.

#322 2 years ago

What's ironic is that the Cubs winning is probably good for the Sox as well, since it will put some pressure on Reinsdorf to improve the team.

#323 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

What's ironic is that the Cubs winning is probably good for the Sox as well, since it will put some pressure on Reinsdorf to improve the team.

That's our hope. They really need to do something because they're losing a lot of attention with the jaugernaut up north and the Blackhawks. They remind me a lot of the Sam Zell/Tribune era Cubs with all their shitty free agent signings and lack of talent in the minors. We really need a Theo or Jed to steer this rudderless ship out of this malaise.

#324 2 years ago

Now that the Cubs have "broken the curse", I'd like to see them have Steve Bartman throw out the first pitch at the home opener next year. That would be a real classy move. It was absolutely awful the way Cubs fans treated that guy.

#325 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Steve Bartman throw out the first pitch at the home opener next year.

he might still need a pope-mobile around him for protection...I wouldn't do it if I were him.

#326 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

he might still need a pope-mobile around him for protection...I wouldn't do it if I were him.

I wouldn't either. It's like how the Red Sox fans treated Buckner for all of those years. I hope Bartman doesn't give Cubs fans the satisfaction.

#327 2 years ago

The Cubs are a great ball club with Epstein at the helm. He's done a really great job, and Maddon is a great manager. Congratulations.

I don't think you'll be seeing Bartman come back... lol. Don't you remember when you guys tried to murder him?

I've got a lot of friends in Cleveland. I'm hoping they get a shot at redemption next year.

#328 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Now that the Cubs have "broken the curse", I'd like to see them have Steve Bartman throw out the first pitch at the home opener next year. That would be a real classy move. It was absolutely awful the way Cubs fans treated that guy.

Couldn't agree with you more. Let's hope that happens.i heard he moved out of state though.

#329 2 years ago

One more thing, I have an untouched Chicago Tribune from today with all the Cubs coverage if some Cubs fan from out of town wants it as a keepsake. Otherwise it goes in the firepit with the rest lol. PM me and I'll mail it to you.

#330 2 years ago

I would love that!

pm sent

#331 2 years ago

Collage 2016-11-02 22_59_03 (resized).jpg

#332 2 years ago

Pretty cool night. I walked down to Wrigley after the game and the atmosphere was incredible. Saw so many older people who had waited their whole lives for this night.

With the way the team is built, they should be contenders for some time. The playoffs are a crapshoot so who knows if this group will ever do it again, but they should be in the hunt. Looking forward to seeing what Schwarber can do with a full healthy season.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I actually like the dislike between rivals, even right as they are winning a championship. It's very old school.

They aren't really rivals though. Cubs-Cards are rivals as they are competing for the division. I don't think I heard the White Sox mentioned once all season with other Cubs fans.

Maybe it's different on the South Side but the animosity toward the White Sox is mundane on the other end.

#333 2 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

They aren't really rivals though. Cubs-Cards are rivals as they are competing for the division. I don't think I heard the White Sox mentioned once all season with other Cubs fans.

Maybe it's different on the South Side but the animosity toward the White Sox is mundane on the other end.

agreed. Cubs fans dont even care about white sox largley.

We talk about Cards and Brewers rivalries do to proximity and actually playing against them to make the playoffs. White sox are merely a spec on the radar outside of the crosstown.

Quoted from sturner:

With the way the team is built, they should be contenders for some time. The playoffs are a crapshoot so who knows if this group will ever do it again, but they should be in the hunt. Looking forward to seeing what Schwarber can do with a full healthy season.

Already excited to catch a few more games next year and listen more. I relistened to the replay of the game on the radio yesterday, just for fun. I highly suggest it as a fun way to relive the day. Yeah, I knew the ending but still found my heart pounding while listening.

#334 2 years ago

I'm sorry but the people saying there is no crosstown rivalry between the Cubs/Sox are delusional. Granted it's stronger on the South Side and we're not the Cardinals but to deny it exists is nuts. I've been to both parks when they play each other since it was an exhibition game in the 80's. It's real. And I think it's good for both teams.

#335 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

agreed. Cubs fans dont even care about white sox largley.

They did in '05! That bandwagon was pretty much bottoming out that year. I saw plenty of people who I knew personally that were die-hard Cubs fans latch onto the nearest winning, popular thing just to feel better about themselves. It was really, really pathetic.

#336 2 years ago

that is both funny and a sad thing to lie about.

We both know that no actual die hard cubs fans have ever become white sox fans...

There are people that root for both teams, but never have met someone that gave up on the cubs to become a whitesox fan, lol/

#337 2 years ago

Wake up Cubs fans, it was all a dream.

#338 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I doubt Steve would take them up on it. He's turned down big money for commercials and such before.

Clearly the guy just wants to be left alone. He doesn't need some empty "forgiveness" from Cubs fans who made his life hell, and I doubt he wants to be trotted out to the mound just to make everybody feel better about being such douchebags about it for 13 years.

#339 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I doubt he wants to be trotted out to the mound just to make everybody feel better about being such douchebags about it for 13 years.

he has made it very clear "he did not want to be a distraction to the accomplishments of the players and the organization."

he is still a cubs fan, supports them, and is very happy with the win. He does not want to be part of the spoylight and never wanted to be part fot he spotlight. It is sad how he was treated and even sadder that many still cant let it go and let the guy continue on with his life.

#340 2 years ago

Here's what Chicago sounded like after Game 7 ended.

#341 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

that is both funny and a sad thing to lie about.
We both know that no actual die hard cubs fans have ever become white sox fans...
There are people that root for both teams, but never have met someone that gave up on the cubs to become a whitesox fan, lol/

I never said they stopped being Cubs fans. I just said they latched on to the Sox bandwagon in an attempt to find some positivity in their otherwise useless lives. Chicago fans are the worst when it comes to that crap. Case in point: the Blackhawks and Bulls. Ask any of these Blackhawks "fans" who start cheering for them once the playoffs start what a cross check is and you'll get 15 seconds of silence followed by, "Toews and Kaner!!! Woooooo!". And the second Jordan left the Bulls, those fans jumped ship faster than you can say "Oprah Winfrey with courtside seats".

Pathetic.

#342 2 years ago

Looks like the Cubs winning the World Series is eating the heart out of some.

#343 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Looks like the Cubs winning the World Series is eating the heart out of some.

And I'm sure the size of today's parade turnout (FIVE MILLION estimated) hasn't helped either.

#344 2 years ago

reserved for future comment (oops)

#345 2 years ago

This is my favorite single takeaway memory of the Cubs' victory - the sheer joy on Kris Bryant's face as he makes the throw to first for the final out:

#346 2 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I never said they stopped being Cubs fans. I just said they latched on to the Sox bandwagon in an attempt to find some positivity in their otherwise useless lives. Chicago fans are the worst when it comes to that crap. Case in point: the Blackhawks and Bulls. Ask any of these Blackhawks "fans" who start cheering for them once the playoffs start what a cross check is and you'll get 15 seconds of silence followed by, "Toews and Kaner!!! Woooooo!". And the second Jordan left the Bulls, those fans jumped ship faster than you can say "Oprah Winfrey with courtside seats".
Pathetic.

Do you read the crap you type after you're done?
Thanks for telling us how it really is.

#347 2 years ago

Again,,,, CONGRATS CUBS !! You guys deserve it !! But lets get real ....GO BLUE JAYS !!!

#348 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

This is my favorite single takeaway memory of the Cubs' victory - the sheer joy on Kris Bryant's face as he makes the throw to first for the final out:
ยป YouTube video

I was hoping he would have slipped just a second sooner ended up on his face and the ball ends up in the stands... that smile would have changed real quick! Hey, just being honest!

#349 2 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Pathetic.

You definitely have a weird interpretation about Chicago sports. You can use that argument for most sport cities coming to fold.

And to your last point, I'm positive Orlando Magic lost fanbase after the departure of Shaquille O'Neal. How 'bout the Miami Heat now with James and Wade departing?

#350 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

And I'm sure the size of today's parade turnout (FIVE MILLION estimated) hasn't helped either.

Confirmed: Cubs parade the largest peaceful gathering in US history

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_peaceful_gatherings_in_history

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 359 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside