Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by blue95
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

MetLE.jpg

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

This is highly unlikely, but does anyone offer up some criticism for medieval madness?

#2 7 years ago

this will be even better than your "any teenage girls" thread.

the most common complaints are that is "not worth the money", overrated, all you do is bash the castle, attack from mars is better and cheaper, blah blah blah.

#3 7 years ago

and repeated again and again

#4 7 years ago

We love ours. The only thing I wish would be different is a better sensitivity on the castle gate opto. It is not infrequent that the opto will not register if the castle gate is hit with a ball which has a moderate velocity or more. If there are any fixes for this minor issue, I'm all ears.

#5 7 years ago

Though I'm sure this thread will get long with opinions...MM is #1 for a reason....great solid game...and call outs fantastic!

#6 7 years ago

Though I'm sure this thread will get long with opinions...MM is #1 for a reason....great solid game...and call outs fantastic!

Might wanna check again...

MetLE.jpg

#7 7 years ago

Like many older games, it's shallow and fairly easy. I walked up to one in silverball and put 143 million on it my first game. It has the best callouts and artwork is very nice, but $12k+, ill pass. Newer sterns are better at less than half the price, deeper rules and harder shots.

#8 7 years ago

My criticism....too much $$

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

in 4 days it will be back on top

#10 7 years ago

Just goes to show you how fickle some of those ratings are.

#11 7 years ago

Like everyone is saying.......its not worth the price.

#12 7 years ago

Yeah mm is way overpriced great table though

#13 7 years ago

It's not over priced. It sells for what people are willing to pay. It's not like they're making them anymore. Supply/demand

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

in 4 days it will be back on top

23 votes for MOPLE...I don't count that as #1 in my book

#15 7 years ago

When I owned it (twice), I really missed combo's (normal ones, not the victory lap combo's). You can put together a lot of back to back shots on it but I don't feel you are rewarded for doing so beyond the typical goals.

#16 7 years ago

Combos would indeed be nice on MM. Obviously, if Williams made more of them, that would be a good thing, as prices would not be as high, and demand would be more easily met.

#17 7 years ago

My criticism is that I don't have one.

#18 7 years ago

Its a good player and a perfect mix of "nerd" humor and call outs which appeals to the core pinball people.

#19 7 years ago

Many who don't own it bitch about it - not sure why, but likely due to high price... In my opinion, best game of all time - terrific art, great layout, awesome sound/speech, easy enough for anyone to enjoy yet challenging enough to keep you interested long term. It is the only game that I've consistently owned since I started collecting.

At the end of the day though, everyone has different likes and dislikes, so play it and decide for yourself. Despite the price, if you end up not liking it, you can get your money back no problem as long as you don't overpay with a dealer. They sell quickly when they come available.

#20 7 years ago

23 versus 1100? MOPLE isn't even statistically significant yet. Note that I have one sitting in my garage still - Medieval is in the house.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Bigdaddy1000:

Many who don't own it bitch about it - not sure why, but likely due to high price... In my opinion, best game of all time - terrific art, great layout, awesome sound/speech, easy enough for anyone to enjoy yet challenging enough to keep you interested long term. It is the only game that I've consistently owned since I started collecting.

At the end of the day though, everyone has different likes and dislikes, so play it and decide for yourself. Despite the price, if you end up not liking it, you can get your money back no problem as long as you don't overpay with a dealer. They sell quickly when they come available.

I'd say the same thing. I've owned 2 MMs going back to 1998 and still have a blast playing the machine today!

#22 7 years ago

No mirrored backglass. No color changing LED's tied in to the code.

That said, I want one!!!

#23 7 years ago

23 versus 1100? MOPLE isn't even statistically significant yet. Note that I have one sitting in my garage still - Medieval is in the house.

Well said sir!

// Error: Image 115249 not found //

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

We love ours. The only thing I wish would be different is a better sensitivity on the castle gate opto. It is not infrequent that the opto will not register if the castle gate is hit with a ball which has a moderate velocity or more. If there are any fixes for this minor issue, I'm all ears.

This issue rings a bell with me for sure. Check and make sure one of your optos for the gate (can't remember if it was the transmitter or the receiver, or which side it is on even) is not occasionally touching the steel ball guide/protector that surrounds it. That is what I found on mine, it was causing and intermittent short which resulted in some of the ball strikes not registering. Once I corrected the issue it notices every hit, which it should as that is how an opto should work.

Good luck!

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from tankpinball:

This is highly unlikely, but does anyone offer up some criticism for Medieval Madness?

There will be several people more than happy to offer up some criticism for any game. Spend some more time on pinball boards and you'll soon come to learn that even the most desired games are overrated pieces of crap.

MM fetches what it does and is ranked where it is for a reason. Great theme, great toys, great player, broad appeal, and produced in very low numbers.

#26 7 years ago

Troll voices are annoying. The high sell price compared to what I paid for it 5 years ago made it easy to part with

#27 7 years ago

I never liked the theme but the game is great. It's super deep with a ton of interactive toys. I only wish I could have bought one 6 or 7 years ago in decent condition for $6-$7K.

Haters be hating though

// Error: Image 115270 not found //

#28 7 years ago

MM is one of the best games ever and is in my top 10, but if I had to nitpick I think there could be some improvements that would make it even better:

1. This has been mentioned already but combos would be a nice addition
2. Modes - MM is primarily a shot based game (hit everything x numbers of time), it would be nice to have some story based modes mixed in (similar to SM) which is a combination mode/shot game. I think modes really bring you into the theme of the game more rather than just collecting catapult shots or orbit shots, etc.
3. More creativity in the jackpot and super-jackpot shots. Would be nice to having roving jackpots or more difficult jackpot shots. I realize this is difficult to do on a 2 flipper game but I appreciate how in games like "The Shadow" that it's difficult to acquire jackpots by making you hit difficult shots (Shadow loop for Shadow mb or collecting Supers on the mini-playfield during Kahn). System 11 games are also known for making you work for your jackpots which make them more rewarding than games like MM that hand you tons of jackpots.
4. I think the biggest reason MM doesn't rank higher for me is that I tend to prefer more creative layouts over fan layouts. A game like TAF or TZ just has more personality to me. You actually have a real plunger and really fun and creative skill shots, extra flippers and many varied shots, magnets, subways, etc. MM has the castle (which is awesome!) and trolls but it's really just another fan layout game. It's probably the best fan layout game with great art, speech, sounds, etc. but It just doesn't seem as ingenious as a game like TZ or TAF.
5. The rule-set is great for its time and requires a lot of strategy as far as what to stack and when to start multi-balls, etc. It has one of my top 5 favorite rule-sets of the 90's but modern Stern rule-sets like LOTR, TSPP and even SM are better in my opinion.

With all that being said it's still a fantastic game. I could nitpick or find criticism for any game that I like better as well

#29 7 years ago

Please. With all 11 ratings?

No criticism for MM, just criticism for myself for not buying one before the price hit the moon.

#30 7 years ago

Why would you start a thread to criticize a pinball machine on a pinball forum? Don't you have better things to do like pull the wings off flys?

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from maf-mi:

Why would you start a thread to criticize a pinball machine on a pinball forum? Don't you have better things to do like pull the wings off flys?

He might be trying to drive the price down to $1000.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from maf-mi:

Maybe he's contemplating a big-ticket purchase like MM and wants to hear if anyone has regretted buying one. It's a fair comment.

To answer the OPs question: No criticism on MM from me. The current price isn't a problem either. It's my lack of funds that's the problem! Love the game. Great theme. Lots of fun.

#33 7 years ago

I enjoy the comedy and gameplay of it a lot. I will unfortunately never enjoy it in my own collection due to the price. I would say its in my top 3 but I am a homer for Addams Family.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

He might be trying to drive the price down to $1000.

More likely he just wants to drive his Karma points up.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Maybe he's contemplating a big-ticket purchase like MM and wants to hear if anyone has regretted buying one. It's a fair comment.

Maybe. One of his first threads (later eclipsed by Teen Girl thread, but not as good as Signed Star Wars thread) was him asking for someone to sell him a MM for $1000.

#36 7 years ago

When playing a good game, there's quite a big wait after playing Royal Madness until you can start Battle for the Kingdom, and destroying those six castles involves a lot of risky shots at the castle gate!

The game callouts and the music can get repetetive after a while.

A design fault in that if you end up with two or more balls in the catapult, the game can't always clear them.

Not enough of these games were ever made!

#37 7 years ago

It's fun.... but waaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated and overpriced of course.

I like to play it but wouldn't give more than 6k for one. I can get my fix at a fellow pin collectors house or on my iPad. That is plenty of MM for me.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

When playing a good game, there's quite a big wait after playing Royal Madness until you can start Battle for the Kingdom, and destroying those six castles involves a lot of risky shots at the castle gate!
The game callouts and the music can get repetetive after a while.
A design fault in that if you end up with two or more balls in the catapult, the game can't always clear them.
Not enough of these games were ever made!

I never had an issue with getting the castles. Get your first round of the *other* shots so you have your multiball madness ready to go at the Merlin saucer. Start it once you have all but Trolls ready and during the multiball concentrate on straight up the middle shots. There's enough balls a'flyin at that point that you shouldn't have to worry about the STDM return off a castle hit.

Oddly enough, it always seems to be Catapult Madness that takes me the longest.

I will definitely second "Not enough of these games were ever made" though!

#39 7 years ago

Nope, I'm not trying to reduce the mm price to 1000 dollars. I was wondering if the table is a bit overrated. But I personally love medieval madness madness a lot!

#40 7 years ago

There were great games before MM, and there were great games after MM. For me it is just another great game. The only problem I have with it is how some people put it up on some kind of pedestal, and declare it the ruler of the pinball world.

#41 7 years ago

Fantastic game that is as good as any pin out there. There is no objective number one pin.

One thing that could make it a little better in competition is to adjust the scoring for castles. Too much weight placed on completing castles versus the other parts of the game.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Please. With all 11 ratings?
No criticism for MM, just criticism for myself for not buying one before the price hit the moon.

It actually has 23 ratings and 11 ratings comments at the moment. There has to be a minimum of 15 ratings for it to be ranked at all.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

The castle shots don't have to be that risky if you shoot from the left flipper and bank off of the inside of the right castle entry inlane before it hits the gate. That shot brings the ball back to the right flipper on my game most of the time.

#44 7 years ago

Needs more "madness"

#45 7 years ago

Giving that both light Trolls and the Trolls themselves are dangerous shot, it is insane that the blue light requires 12 of them. This number is a lot easier to reach if you play Troll multi-ball madness. But you only get one shot at this until Royal madness wrap around. If you hit start multi-ball madness too early without Trolls - too bad.

This is off balance. The blue light should be Trolls in regular Troll modes only. And limited to 4 or 6.

Also, why not serve 1 or 2 Troll bombs to start with. Let (arcade) players have fun with that right off. Instead the bombs are too seldom.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from maf-mi:

Why would you start a thread to criticize a pinball machine on a pinball forum?

how do you know that was his intent? maybe he honestly thought nobody would put forth any arguments against it being the greatest thing since sliced bread.

what's so great about sliced bread? I prefer to cut my own.

#47 7 years ago

First off, I really like Mm. Having said that, I've had multiple chances to buy them and always have passed them up. Even when I was offered one for 4k a few years ago, my thought was that I could buy three machines I liked equally as much for the same cost. There are a couple expensive games I don't feel that about. Anyway, this is what I think holds the game back a bit...

- the game play is very simplistic. Hit a shit four times to start it, and then more times to complete it. For as flowy as the game is, it doesn't take full advantage of that to do cool stuff with it.
- the castle shot doesn't bother me, but waiting forever for the castle to explode each time gets tedious.
- the auto plunger "skillshot" is stupid. Yes, I know there is an extra skill shot, but it could have used a real plunger and had a real skill shot instead. I like Iron Man's skillshot more, and it is equally as pointless.

It's a very good game, but for my money I would pick Austin Powers over it which has the same layout and ruleset style before Medieval Madness every time.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from tankpinball:

This is highly unlikely, but does anyone offer up some criticism for Medieval Madness?

Yea i hate the fact that i dont have one!

#49 7 years ago

No plunger. I hate the big button to plunge the ball. That's about it.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I would pick Austin Powers over it which has the same layout and ruleset style before Medieval Madness every time.

Would you pick it if you were putting it on route in a location that earned well?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside