Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 459 posts
  • 139 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Promo Screen Shot 5 (resized).png
    Promo Screen Shot 1 (resized).png
    Promo Screen Shot 2 (resized).png
    Promo Screen Shot 3 (resized).png
    IMG_20200314_105806 (resized).jpg
    373DEA6B-85D1-4D36-A734-35D46119D284 (resized).jpeg
    F191497C-4A3E-4BE4-9C8D-7DF9D5F9703B (resized).jpeg
    Hilton.png
    IMG_20191212_201317 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200313-122325_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200314_031604 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    r9y3meq3d6m41 (resized).jpg
    ESwmm8aUMAADndE (resized).jpg
    D61492F8-C2AB-4591-8E20-6CF871F8D452 (resized).jpeg
    6E55E460-1768-45AF-A40C-51AAD313C2CA (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #241 Official MGC announcement Posted by goatdan (4 years ago)

Post #370 Message from Deeproot Posted by frankmac (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

This topic is closed.

There are 459 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
    #1 4 years ago

I'm curious if any of you have major concerns or are thinking of not going to upcoming events such as TPF & MGC due to the coronavirus infection?!? Me and my wife are going to the MGC in April...well I am anyway! She is strongly thinking about backing out! I'm not too concerned at this point, make sure to have plenty of hand sanitizer/wipe machines down before playing and all should be well. Possibly wear gloves....

#2 4 years ago

No.

Though I will probably bring hand sanitizer with for my self, and wash hands frequently.

LTG : )

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballer247:

Possibly wear gloves....

Just don't touch your face with the gloves. I swear every time I read a tip to not touch my face I'm touching my stupid face. I really need to stop touching my face!

I wouldn't be overly concerned about MGC yet, plus by the time it happens we will have more information so I'd give it time before making a decision.

#5 4 years ago

No worry at all. And if you can't get sanitizer, make your own . 99% isopropyl alcohol and
    Combine in a bowl:
    ⅔-cup rubbing alcohol (99% isopropyl alcohol)
    ⅓-cup aloe vera gel.
    Stir. Decant into a clean soap or pump bottle.

#6 4 years ago

My hands usually have a protective layer of lube on them anyway.

#7 4 years ago

Yes, I am worried the shows will lose money and have financial struggles in the future because people are afraid to live their lives.

At this point there are many other things that are more likely to kill you.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

My hands usually have a protective layer of lube on them anyway.

The right one, anyway.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

No worry at all. And if you can't get sanitizer, make your own . 99% isopropyl alcohol and
    Combine in a bowl:
    ⅔-cup rubbing alcohol (99% isopropyl alcohol)
    ⅓-cup aloe vera gel.
    Stir. Decant into a clean soap or pump bottle.

Just be careful making your own sanitizer. Alcohol is harsh on the skin and may do more harm than good.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/03/health/coronavirus-diy-hand-sanitizer-trnd/index.html?utm_content=2020-03-03T19%3A00%3A05&utm_term=link&utm_source=twCNN&utm_medium=social

#10 4 years ago

I am inventing a voice activated machine. That way you don't have to touch anything.....you just walk around yelling "flip....flip....flip"

#11 4 years ago

My wife and I are still planning on the Texas show. Everything's already paid for. But I will say, we were thinking about going to the Northwest show in Seattle in June but have changed our minds.

People can make fun of this all they want but I feel better these days just staying home.

#12 4 years ago

No more worried than I've been for the other infinite list of humanity-ending crisises that have come up in the last several years. The beat goes on!

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

My wife and I are still planning on the Texas show. Everything's already paid for. But I will say, we were thinking about going to the Northwest show in Seattle in June but have changed our minds.
    People can make fun of this all they want but I feel better these days just staying home.

I won't make fun of your decision, but we will probably all have been exposed to this one before June.

#14 4 years ago

We already have our fri tics, so we’ll be there for that unless things go parabolic. Gloves and hand sanitizer in tow. I get two weekends a yr to play, so it would take alot to keep me home.

#15 4 years ago

If it helps ease the mind of some, my spouse works with the USPHS and is part of a rapid deployment team that combines with CDC, NASA, and a few other agencies to battle health crisis when they occur; hurricanes, Ebola, and now Covid-19.

We’re moving forward with all of our travel plans and living life as we normally would.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Potatoloco:

We’re moving forward with all of our travel plans and living life as we normally would.

So you guys have the vaccine already, huh?

#17 4 years ago

Every virus needs a vector

#18 4 years ago

I assume this is a joke thread?

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

So you guys have the vaccine already, huh?

, Israel is in the testing phase right now, CDC is still 12-18 months out. You might get a Rick and Morty before a Covid-19 vaccine is developed by the CDC at that rate.

In all reality, based on the briefings my spouse has had, just carry anti-bacteria, don’t touch eyes or nose, wash your hands consistently throughout the day. Another simple precaution for either tournament directors, vendors with games, etc, is to take Clorox wipes and wipe down the lockbar and flipper buttons once an hour. It can’t be transmitted through the skin, only through mucus membranes. If you have a habit of wiping down the lockbar or buttons with your shirt, AVOID doing this because you could pretty much carry the strain around with you, though this is the case with a lot of strains.

#20 4 years ago

Why? Anti-bacteria won't do a thing against a virus?

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Why? Anti-bacteria won't do a thing against a virus?

Because people generally as a whole don’t practice good hygiene habits in high traffic areas and at conventions and a virus isn’t the only thing that can be caught.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Potatoloco:

If you have a habit of wiping down the lockbar or buttons with your shirt, AVOID doing this because you could pretty much carry the strain around with you, though this is the case with a lot of strains.

“Viruses, including coronavirus cannot live outside the body for prolonged periods of time. Under the right conditions, including the right humidity and the right temperature, this virus might survive on a surface for 30 minutes. And that would be under very optimized conditions,”

So, for shows, just play terrible, unpopular games.

#23 4 years ago

me and borygard both got sick as hell after leaving expo this year. wash hands constantly!

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

this virus might survive on a surface for 30 minutes.

What is your source for that information? The WHO says otherwise:
    https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses
    “ How long does the virus survive on surfaces?
    It is not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 survives on surfaces, but it seems to behave like other coronaviruses. Studies suggest that coronaviruses (including preliminary information on the COVID-19 virus) may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days.”

#26 4 years ago

I’m very concerned...no longer going!

#28 4 years ago

There's always guranteed "con crud" coming home from any convention ever. But I doubt the corona virus is going to run rampant there.

We have well-trained immune systems from prior conventions.

#29 4 years ago
    rR2JdWw_d (resized).jpgrR2JdWw_d (resized).jpg
    #30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Potatoloco:

In all reality, based on the briefings my spouse has had, just carry anti-bacteria, don’t touch eyes or nose, wash your hands consistently throughout the day. Another simple precaution for either tournament directors, vendors with games, etc, is to take Clorox wipes and wipe down the lockbar and flipper buttons once an hour. It can’t be transmitted through the skin, only through mucus membranes. If you have a habit of wiping down the lockbar or buttons with your shirt, AVOID doing this because you could pretty much carry the strain around with you, though this is the case with a lot of strains.

I'd just like to add that a daily shower (with soap) and the use of some good deodorant certainly can't hurt.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

“Viruses, including coronavirus cannot live outside the body for prolonged periods of time. Under the right conditions, including the right humidity and the right temperature, this virus might survive on a surface for 30 minutes. And that would be under very optimized conditions,”
    So, for shows, just play terrible, unpopular games.

Forget it, now the guy testifying before congress says hours or up to a day...so back to covering yourself with alcohol.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

so back to covering yourself with alcohol.

If that's a defense against catching it, TPF attendees got nothin to worry about.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

[quoted image]

Yeah, the CDC has almost two months to prepare the country and states for this thing and they dont even have enough tests for all those that need testing in Seattle let alone the rest of the country. There are probably hundreds of undiagnosed people in the Seattle area right now but no one knows because testing is so far behind. What a shit show.

Northern Italy is in lockdown and quarantine. They have one of the oldest populations in the world and the death rate there so far is tracking at an alarming 5%.

Take this seriously folks and take the necessary precautions, if not for yourself, for your parents, seniors, and those with health conditions.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

I won't make fun of your decision, but we will probably all have been exposed to this one before June.

If that happens (which it could), it will overwhelm our hospitals and healthcare system with the 10-20% that will require hospitalization. Many more otherwise treatable patients could die due to lack of beds and vital equipment.

Rather than resigning yourself to the we're all going to get this by summer, taking precautions now and in the coming months is important. The longer we can delay it spreading in our communities and countries, the more time we buy for vaccines and treatments beginning trials now.

I'm not saying panic and dont live your life. I am saying don't be complacent and take the attitude infection is inevitable.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

Take this seriously folks

Makes sense.

Hard to claim this is all nonsense, fear mongering when people can see in real time what’s happening in other countries. Lives being lost. Government quarantines. It’s a natural reaction I suppose for some to deny reality when they don’t like what they see.

#37 4 years ago

Shows/conventions all over the country are being canceled, some over caution, others because they are happening in an outbreak location, I still plan on attending MGC, but its a dynamic situation and things can change for better or worse rapidly.

#38 4 years ago

Following...

#39 4 years ago

Are you people Fing serious?

Do you stop going to events due to the normal Flu? If no, then why would CovN19 stop you?!??!?!!!?

math... how does it work...

COVID-19: Approximately 3,653 deaths reported worldwide; 17 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 8, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Are you people Fing serious?
    Do you stop going to events due to the normal Flu? If no, then why would CovN19 stop you?!??!?!!!?
    math... how does it work...
    COVID-19: Approximately 3,653 deaths reported worldwide; 17 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 8, 2020.
    Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

I would agree, unless you have direct contact or live with the elderly, or someone who has a compromised immune system.

#41 4 years ago

With the current hysteria out there, my bet it is cancelled from a pure liability standpoint. Really wanted to go, but won't be surprised if it doesn't happen

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I would agree, unless you have direct contact or live with the elderly, or someone who has a compromised immune system.

again, if the normal flu does not change your behavior... why would this.

It is just plain stupid. Outside of this panic logic... all you are possibly doing by self isolating is delaying the inevitable.

Again, we are talking VERY small numbers compared to the regular flu.

Go out and live life.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

why would this.

Normal flu has a vaccine and anti viral treatment and is lethal to a small fraction of people AND you usually know if you have the flu. The numbers are skewed because corona hasn’t spread as far as the flu.

Flu kills .1 %
    This kills up to 30x that # and is very deadly to the elderly causing lung infections.

It can be mild and present as a normal cold if it stays in nose/throat but can travel in to lungs and turn critical overnight.

We have zero immunity to corona whereas flu, again would have a certain percentage of people with antibodies.

If allowed to spread as much as the flu between this year and next “season” this has potential to kill as many or more than Spanish flu of 1918.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

s delaying the inevitable.

This may be true but delaying getting it actually helps in that the shitty healthcare system we have will be overwhelmed if everyone gets it in the first “wave”.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Can't be too careful at your age.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Can't be too careful at your age.

I heard that, asshole!

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I heard that, asshole!

I should moderate your post but our policy is now to be a bit more tolerant with older pinsiders

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Normal flu has a vaccine and anti viral treatment and is lethal to a small fraction of people AND you usually know if you have the flu. The numbers are skewed because corona hasn’t spread as far as the flu.

Well, the vaccine doesn't work 100% of the time, and for the anti viral treatment to work, you have to catch it within the first 24 hours. Otherwise your SOL.

But I agree, if you have the flu, you usually know it.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

This kills up to 30x that # and is very deadly to the elderly causing lung infections.

This is the type of fear mongering nonsense I can't let go unanswered.
    Not a SINGLE healthy person who contracted Covid-19 has died not a single person.
    Tragically it found it's way into a nursing home and took lives there.
    On an anecdotal note when my father was in a memory care facility before he passed the flu had gotten in the facility and almost half of the patients developed pneumonia and died.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

But I agree, if you have the flu, you usually know it.

You usually have the flu several days before you start feeling symptoms.

There are 459 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-coronavirus-concerns-for-tpf-amp-mgc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.