(Topic ID: 267359)

The official Comic Book Collectors thread. Buy, sell, trade, discuss!

By Pinballmike217

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231002_071031 (resized).jpg
Screenshot2023-04-04at12.08.56PM (resized).png
Banner_55f4dc99-a025-4aa6-8d9a-3338cbf030d1 (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
340178997_924169458725587_361559738993362518_n (resized).jpg
340148212_6464507356926833_8315583720407808304_n (resized).jpg
340335941_565249195706078_6984685647548954003_n (resized).jpg
IMG_3495 (resized).JPG
20210104_102645 (resized).jpg
20210104_095015 (resized).jpg
sw (resized).JPG
IMG_7304 (resized).jpg
IMG_7134 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5869 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).png
172981E0-69B1-4C99-ADD0-2B26DC1007CA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballmike217.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I have too much free time on my hands these days. I was thinking about sending some of my old comics to CGC to get graded and maybe put a few on ebay. If anyone here has dealt with CGC before I would appreciate any info, experience, or advice you could offer. Thanks.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks for responding. I just need to figure out the best way to pack and insure. It looks like USPS will only insure up to 5K. CGC does not list a phone number on their website so I will have to wait for an email response from them as to their preferred shipping method.

#20 3 years ago

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I just boxed up a batch to ship off to CGC. I will be putting them on ebay so this is just an experiment to see what happens. I joined CGC at the highest level for the best discount. I decided to sell my Spiderman keys and my list includes AF15, Spidermans 7,8,16,20,25,31,33,37,38,39,41,50,100,101,121,129,300. CGCs' fees added up very fast so I hope this works out.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

report back please! How much is it to join CGC?

https://www.cgccomics.com/join/

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

Anybody have a copy of Amazing Spider-Man "300" that they’re selling?

I will be listing one on ebay when I get it back from CGC in a month or so.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

Could you let me know when it goes live or if you want to sell it outside of eBay so you don’t incur fees. Just let me know and PM if you’re interested. Thanks!

Will do, thanks. Just started listing books:
ebay.com link: itm
So check that one out and you can follow other auctions to see what I list. I'll be doing true $1.00 no reserve auctions. I'll get killed on some but I'll do well enough on others so I'm sure I'll be OK overall. Hate to sell but very glad others will get to enjoy.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Don't sell! I still miss my Sgt. Rock books... All I did was trade those for John Byrne X-Men back in 1984 (meaning I did the trade back in 1984 when I was 13 years old). Buying the books off the old spinner racks... then trading them away for cool but very common books... ugh! It's only been 36 years... I'm almost over it.
Best of luck with the sales!

I know I shouldn't sell but I'm having fun just going through all my old books again. After six weeks of being out of work this is giving me something to focus on other than watching my insane neighbors become more insane. I reserve the right to change my mind at anytime.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Ive been doing the same.....its been fun going back thru them. I think you should change this to the official comic book thread!

I think you're right! I'm very happy to see the amount of interest here!

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Im in!
I just discovered DCeased by DC comics. Alternate universe for the DC heroes when the world gets infected by zombies. The artwork on the covers look great![quoted image][quoted image]

That is amazing artwork. I wish I could unsee it. Now somebody has to do a Batman66 alternate translite with that including a zombified Catwoman.

#59 3 years ago

Cool, thanks, I hadn't seen that sight before. I'm sure I have a few of those tucked away.

1 week later
#61 3 years ago

Just a quick follow up to my first two weeks of auctions. I started with my Spidermans. I sent my key issues to CGC for grading and it will be awhile until I get them back. I auctioned 48 books individually ranging from issue 12 to 79. I am pleased to say I had tons of interest and lots of bidders. I ended up with $2900 in sales. Fees are 10% for ebay and 3% for paypal. I'm sure I would have taken a much greater hit than that if I sold to a dealer. This has been fun but very time consuming which is fine while I'm waiting for work to reopen. At this rate I can probably sell one box a month and I started with eight boxes. I hope to get through three or four boxes and at that point the rest of my collection will be cheap stuff and I can let that go to a dealer. If nothing else this is a fun way to pass some time until life gets back to normal.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I sent a handful to Cgc and then I am just sitting on my raw books. I want another fifteen years to go by before I sell, mainly.

Ha, I'm just shy of 60 years old and if I waited another 15 years I'd forget I even had any books in the closet. I guess everything happens for a reason. I'll keep at least one box of stuff I want to reread in the future. Outside of that I'm glad I'm making some other collectors happy now. Hate to say it but at least while pinball is in a coma comics have a huge following.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Last 2 for you tonight. Here are two pieces by James O'Barr of the Crow fame. The Crow piece is fantastic, but the other is called "The Night Watchmen of Lost Souls." The back of it has an awesome inscription of what went into the piece. Really cool piece.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing!

4 weeks later
#81 3 years ago

I have a Spiderman #50 CGC 5.5 on ebay right now, currently WAY less than book.
ebay.com link: THE AMAZING SPIDER MAN 50
Also a Spiderman #20 and nice runs of TOS and TTA.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes! Different kind of artwork. Sometime I'll tell my "comic book story"....I had everything! All the Marvel's from 1 up! 10 copies of Amazing Fantasy. Thousands and thousands of comics from the 50's on. Original FF Kirby pages! Original Barry Smith Conan pages. Went out with Joan Lee (Stan's daughter), did many shows with Adams and have original art somewhere.... sold most of it, lots of artwork stolen...long story.....
[quoted image]

That's awesome. I would have loved to meet Stan Lee.

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Met him a number of times. I actually went to the Marvel offices to do interviews on Super 8 Sound film when Marvel was located in NY. Always a nice guy! Jack Kirby too...but he worked mostly from home....

My bad, I never thought it would be worth waiting hours in line for an autograph. How wrong I was!

#89 3 years ago

And just for fun, heres the Hulk I just got back from grading:

IMG_0001 (resized).JPGIMG_0001 (resized).JPG
#93 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

What's the best way to sell a collection?
I have a decent run of Amazing Spider-Man from #2 up. Some gaps.
Just wondering what's the best way to sell? Marketplace? Ebay?

I did OK with ebay. CGC is expensive to get books graded so if a book won't sell for at least $250 don't bother. Gocollect is a great sight for valuation, well worth $10/month. GPA is a valuation sight for CGC graded books, also $10/month. If you join CGC to get books graded they have a chat room/forum where you can buy sell trade direct with other collectors, it's worth trying before selling on ebay to save ebay fees. My last two weeks of auctions on ebay have slowed down so I think comics has a summer slump like everything else. I'm going to get a few more key books graded and wait until summer is over to continue selling. If you have some expensive books it's worth sending them to Gary Kendra at Impressive Comics to get pressed before submitting to CGC. For short money he will improve your books and then submit them directly to CGC for you. Great guy to deal with. My Hulk would have been a .5 but after he pressed it I got a 2.0 from CGC, that's a $5K difference in value.

6 months later

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballmike217.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-comic-collectors-here-dealt-with-cgc?tu=Pinballmike217 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.