(Topic ID: 267359)

The official Comic Book Collectors thread. Buy, sell, trade, discuss!

By Pinballmike217

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231002_071031 (resized).jpg
Screenshot2023-04-04at12.08.56PM (resized).png
Banner_55f4dc99-a025-4aa6-8d9a-3338cbf030d1 (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
340178997_924169458725587_361559738993362518_n (resized).jpg
340148212_6464507356926833_8315583720407808304_n (resized).jpg
340335941_565249195706078_6984685647548954003_n (resized).jpg
IMG_3495 (resized).JPG
20210104_102645 (resized).jpg
20210104_095015 (resized).jpg
sw (resized).JPG
IMG_7304 (resized).jpg
IMG_7134 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5869 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).png
172981E0-69B1-4C99-ADD0-2B26DC1007CA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Azmodeus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 3 years ago

i could've swore i responded to this. I wanted to post pictures so here we go again. shortly.

#42 3 years ago

Firstly, I have been collecting comics since I first saw them in about 1972. They have shaped my entire life in some way or another I am now 52.
It is truly a great hobby, so rewarding just over and over and over.

I recently had a stroke and three brain surgeries. This kind of experience has left nearly everyone who goes through it, dead. I am very lucky.

So as I recovered, I had to deal with a 5000 comic collection. It was in a storage unit eating up money I didn't have anymore.

I could not even barely lift a box now, physically. I set out to sort them and learn grading despite my handicap. (what else could i do?)

I gave ten boxes away to children in my neighborhood. They never had comics before, now they each had 250.

The entire collection was sorted in my own criteria. Anything under 20 dollars was given away. That left me with ten boxes. I also kept all series intact despite value. fantastic four, spider man, etc.

The remaining ten boxes i then looked at high dollar books and what sells potentially.

The examples of higher dollars being infinity gauntlet 1 and a Doom Patrol with a first appearance by beast boy. obscure.

There is no question CgC should be your grading company. They are unmatched.

Their staff has been valuable every time. Their insurance and sales value are undisputed value numbers for the most part.

I'm going to digress here. As a child I read everything I could. I was conscious of condition, but reading them was first and foremost. My trailer burned down when at 16 and I lost all those seriously read books. They did their job, though.

I bring this up because I have I read the crap out of comics. Now a sealed book never appealed to me. But now we have both omnibus and digital forms.

Many collectors I know are interested in key books raw as well as slabbed.

So back to cgc and my books. You cant go wrong it all comes down to your choices now and should you do it at all. It is always good to remember, your non slabbed comics are well protected, they should not degrade no matter what time passes now.

(More brevity needed.)

My ant man 1st and my doom patrol came back poor. But my 1st appearance power man iron fist was exceptional. I removed it from the sell pile to keep because of potential value and condition. Also no matter where I look I cannot find it in my graded condition. Hold that one I thought.

Overall I was very happy. Also once comic shows in your area begin again, you can drop your books off there and avoid 1 of two postal fees.

Sort your collection into your highest value books and then get a second opinion. You can always sort and sell nothing should you desire.

#43 3 years ago

There is a guy I know who has four international shipping containers full of comics from every era. He will never be able to sell it all. He inherited a great deal of it. It is astounding that there are still these kinds of comic stashes out there. There is also a guy at one of the shows who has hundreds of pages signed by Stan lee and Kirby. several hundred. Worth at least fifteen grand a page.

I just stand there and carefully look at all of them. In a way they are already mine, I tell him.

I also told him see you next year.

#55 3 years ago

You would think I have more time to get pictures up here. Great thread. I will post my batch that came back.

#56 3 years ago

I always look first at Cgc graded books now. I like to look a lot and not actually buy, I’ll be honest.

#57 3 years ago

I like this website for a once through the top 100.

1 week later
#63 3 years ago

Never hurry. but that is me, I realize.

#64 3 years ago

I sent a handful to Cgc and then I am just sitting on my raw books. I want another fifteen years to go by before I sell, mainly.

#65 3 years ago

I got some decent Neal Adams for instance. I had begun running into him more and more at shows. He has a store near me I can go to and met the manager.

So I might have these signed and graded, but only because it is Neal Adams.

I go back and forth between magic Cards and Comics and right now it’s more magic with corona v.

#66 3 years ago

If the market bounces back robustly, I could see myself doing more buying selling and grading of comics.

24 month setback is what I’m feeling, though. Live comic events will take a hit but I think overall values in key books will continue to climb. (I’m hoping for a spike here)

We shall see!

#77 3 years ago

Great stuff thanks for sharing. I used to live 15 minutes from the pawn shop on gratiot that inspired James O Barr’s crow scene.

That is not a great thing, just a fact.

#78 3 years ago

As adapted by David schow

1 month later
#94 3 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

Any Socal people have suggestions for good comic shops for finding cheap single issues? I'm looking for places with like boxes of dollar-or-less fare, 50% off sales, etc.

There is no place better near me than frank and sons.

https://www.frankandsonshow.net/

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from Buju:

Wtb vol 3 of the Black Monday Murders by Hickman and Coker
Willing to spend cut off finger, or my first born son complete with his inheritance in tact.
Any other HICKMAN fans out there????

Yes Hickman anything. Very irritated about the availability of the avengers by Hickman omnibus. They were new then gone.

Black Monday is epic. I am not afraid, but I probably should be.

#96 3 years ago

Heads and tables...

#101 3 years ago
image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Azmodeus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-comic-collectors-here-dealt-with-cgc?tu=Azmodeus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.